RAWK Goes Into Meltdown - AMad year

Stevondo8

John Terry? Seriously? There's no case for him over (eg) Vidic, VVD, Stam, Kompany... hell, even Carvalho was the better of that defensive pairing at Chelsea. If you do want a slow, "blood and thunder traditional CB" then I give you Tony Adams, who at least wasn't an oderous, allegedly racist c**t.
If we’re not allowed to pick cnuts then definitely no Liverpool players getting close to this…

anyway as someone said on previous page, this is meant to be about RAWK…aren’t liverpoool fans twats.

Himannv

I don't mind dismissing the longevity argument, but then every player who's had 1-3 world class seasons will have an argument for themselves.
The likes of Cole, Irwin, etc. are obviously better because they've been consistent and over a longer period of time as well. Having said that, wouldn't Shaw be in the conversation for top 10? There haven't been that many top LBs and its one of those positions where someone who shows a world class level would be in the discussion.

Rojofiam

The likes of Cole, Irwin, etc. are obviously better because they've been consistent and over a longer period of time as well. Having said that, wouldn't Shaw be in the conversation for top 10? There haven't been that many top LBs and its one of those positions where someone who shows a world class level would be in the discussion.
I'd probably put him in my top 10 as well, but his career isn't over yet. He has a few years left in him still. A PL title and a 1-2 more world class seasons would significantly help his reputation.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

VDS went from Juventus to Fulham. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen
And? I didn't see him make many errors at Fulham.

Van Dijk went from Celtic to Southampton. Does that mean he definitely made plenty of errors?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Van Dijk went from Celtic to Southampton. Does that mean he definitely made plenty of errors?
You don't go from Juventus to Fulham by being a great goalkeeper. Now if you're talking exclusively about PL performances, nvm

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'd say it is. And i'm Evra's biggest fan, Irwin was fantastic - and he'd certainly get the nod over Evra. But Ashley Cole at his peak was something else. He's the only player i've ever seen that shut down peak Ronaldo and his average level was just really really high, with his peak being outstanding. There's nothing Evra could do better than Cole.
Disagree - firstly, Irwin can lay claim to being one of the best right backs as well as left backs. This guy won it all and was adept at spot kicks and free kicks too. He's just class all around and if he was around in the 00s, he'd have more fanfare.

Conversely, if Evra was around in the 90s, he would have been one of the best left wingers going. In any case, he was a lot better going forward than Cole, although I'd say Cole was defensively more sound. So, whilst I understand some people having Cole as their number one, equally, I'd understand people having Irwin or Evra there as well.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
John Terry? Seriously? There's no case for him over (eg) Vidic, VVD, Stam, Kompany... hell, even Carvalho was the better of that defensive pairing at Chelsea. If you do want a slow, "blood and thunder traditional CB" then I give you Tony Adams, who at least wasn't an oderous, allegedly racist c**t.
Have to wonder if you ever watched Terry much if you think he was the lesser of the Carvalho partnership. Terry was better than everyone you listed there imo, only Stam would have an argument to have been better. Blood and thunder traditional CB? Terry had immense ball playing ability off both feet, certainly more than Vidic had.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Some crazy overrating in this thread of Liverpool players.

VvD? :houllier:

iHicksy

Disagree - firstly, Irwin can lay claim to being one of the best right backs as well as left backs. This guy won it all and was adept at spot kicks and free kicks too. He's just class all around and if he was around in the 00s, he'd have more fanfare.

Conversely, if Evra was around in the 90s, he would have been one of the best left wingers going. In any case, he was a lot better going forward than Cole, although I'd say Cole was defensively more sound. So, whilst I understand some people having Cole as their number one, equally, I'd understand people having Irwin or Evra there as well.
huge fan of both so i agree! Maybe i'm misremembering how good cole was offensively? I seem to recall he had an insane cross on him, but could be wrong!

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Have to wonder if you ever watched Terry much if you think he was the lesser of the Carvalho partnership. Terry was better than everyone you listed there imo, only Stam would have an argument to have been better. Blood and thunder traditional CB? Terry had immense ball playing ability off both feet, certainly more than Vidic had.
Terry was a match of the day defender, great recovery, but often out of position

VivaJesperBlomqvist

“Denis Irwin…. Left foot, right foot, never injured, always fit, get you a goal, 7/10 minimum most weeks”

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Terry was not the better defender in all the years he played alongside Carvalho, but was the better defender across their whole careers when compared. Both are true.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Cole was better going forward that Evra at Arsenal, and better defensively than Irwin at Chelsea.

He’s the best full back the Premier League has had, on either side.

I wish he had developed to his full potential under someone other than Mourinho, but I doubt he does.

He was perfect. As consistent as Irwin and as capable as an attacking full back as Evra. Jose stunted that side of his game but he always had it.

It’s awful to admit, but it’s true. I hated the fella after the Cheryl shite, and the odd phone behaviour, and the agent drama at Arsenal. The lad was dumb and very easy to dislike. But on the field he was a model pro and is there with the best 10-20 full backs ever. He really was that good, and I still think a move overseas would have seen him thrive, improve, and be regarded among the best 1-5 of all time.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
huge fan of both so i agree! Maybe i'm misremembering how good cole was offensively? I seem to recall he had an insane cross on him, but could be wrong!
He was great offensively, and that was nearly entirely under defensive coaches. The one time he played under a relatively attacking coach in Ancelotti he was incredible going forward, huge part of that team racking up the scorelines they did in 09-10.

Terry was a match of the day defender, great recovery, but often out of position
I disagree I think he was immense at all aspects of the game. Like Vidic with Torres, he got done for pace once by RVP playing Vilas Boas suicidally high line and some people seem to have taken that as evidence that he was a slow coach who wouldn't survive today (I know you didn't say this, just see it on Twitter a lot). I would certainly have him in a PL all time XI though of course there are good arguments for others, namely Stam Rio and Vidic. I'd definitely have him over VVD.

iHicksy

He was great offensively, and that was nearly entirely under defensive coaches. The one time he played under a relatively attacking coach in Ancelotti he was incredible going forward, huge part of that team racking up the scorelines they did in 09-10.

I disagree I think he was immense at all aspects of the game. Like Vidic with Torres, he got done for pace once by RVP playing Vilas Boas suicidally high line and some people seem to have taken that as evidence that he was a slow coach who wouldn't survive today (I know you didn't say this, just see it on Twitter a lot). I would certainly have him in a PL all time XI though of course there are good arguments for others, namely Stam Rio and Vidic. I'd definitely have him over VVD.
Thanks - I didn't think i was misremembering Cole being incredible offensively.

Agreed - i think people often let terry's lack of personality and horrible behavior colour their opinion of him as a player. He was immense for Chelsea and England, he's a far far more intelligent defender than VVD, hell i'd have Carvalho over VVD too. But Vidic and Rio would be my top two. I'd say Staam was even better than Vida, but i struggle to put him in an all time XI when he wasn't in the prem for long. I'd also say the likes of Sol campbell and Ledley King would be in the conversation, certainly ahead of VVD.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

You should have seen his howler against Arsenal. I think Reyes scored

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The very best John Terry moment was when Ronaldinho knocked him over and banged in a goal.

The best John Terry moment was him slipping on his arse, missing that penalty, and crying on the pitch in Moscow.

Also, why are we talking about him in this thread?

the chameleon

:houllier::lol:
Why are you acting so butt hurt because I have a different opinion to you? You might be surprised to know that’s something children do.
I don't care about opinion. I was just asking you a genuine question: WHY do you think Allison is better than VVD? I was expecting some valid reasons other than, 'eyes'.

Learn to give valid reasons for your arguments. It might even get you out of being a perpetual newb.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I don't care about opinion. I was just asking you a genuine question: WHY do you think Allison is better than VVD? I was expecting some valid reasons other than, 'eyes'.

Learn to give valid reasons for your arguments. It might even get you out of being a perpetual newb.
I was going to say but they play different positions, then realised

lysglimt

Scout
:lol:

What a truly odd bunch they really are. No Henry, No Roy Keane, No Kane. I could go on
I actually find the defenders more strange than the attackers - at least you can make a case for players like Salah - but to leave out Irwin, Terry, Kompany, Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Vidic, Ashley Cole etc - for Stones, Robertson and TAA - now that is hilarious :)

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
I actually find the defenders more strange than the attackers - at least you can make a case for players like Salah - but to leave out Irwin, Terry, Kompany, Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Vidic, Ashley Cole etc - for Stones, Robertson and TAA - now that is hilarious :)
Stones is the most bizarre one. He doesn't even play that much. The most games he's played in a season for City was in his bad debut season. He has good runs of form every year or so but some kind of lynchpin of the City team he is not.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Stones is the most bizarre one. He doesn't even play that much. The most games he's played in a season for City was in his bad debut season. He has good runs of form every year or so but some kind of lynchpin of the City team he is not.
He is our best defender by far, and one of the players that impacts the performances of the team the most when he is not ravaged by injuries, but he needs several more great seasons to even be a honorable mention on a best of all time list/team.

Trent is the pick of a lunatic as well