Television Reacher (Amazon Prime)

Big Andy

Bloke

Finally a book accurate Jack Reacher. Been looking forward to this for ages.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wait Jack Reacher isn’t 5’6”?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yeah, right size but feels too bro jock. Reacher is smart and controlled as well as vicious. Sherlock Holmes meets Action man.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wait Jack Reacher isn’t 5’6”?
No he's 7 foot tall with arms as wide as his neck - which are as wide as his legs, which are bigger than a million other men's put together. And he always fights injustices by kicking the shit out of everyone, never getting hurt himself, and all the women love him because he's mysterious and kicks fecking ass.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No he's 7 foot tall with arms as wide as his neck - which are as wide as his legs, which are bigger than a million other men's put together. And he always fights injustices by kicking the shit out of everyone, never getting hurt himself, and all the women love him because he's mysterious and kicks fecking ass.
Soooo Tom Cruise then?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Oasis’ worst album.
Weird thing, I was doing work experience at the recording studio in London when they were putting the final touches to that album and recording a program for the BBC. Got to stand outside the studio doors and listen to them rehearsing for the live performances on the BBC show. They had a load of scary looking Manchester bastards that hung out with them. I avoided making any eye contact with any of them.

Big Andy

Bloke
Series is out today on Amazon. It’s so much better than the Tom Cruise version.
Downside is that it follows the book quite closely so far and so I knew the twist at the end of the first episode and know the plot, story, ending etc

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Series is out today on Amazon. It’s so much better than the Tom Cruise version.
Downside is that it follows the book quite closely so far and so I knew the twist at the end of the first episode and know the plot, story, ending etc
Good to hear that. The trailer isn't great, but I'll watch this and if nothing else it'll be nice to see someone playing Reacher who actually resembles the character.

Big Andy

Bloke
Good to hear that. The trailer isn't great, but I'll watch this and if nothing else it'll be nice to see someone playing Reacher who actually resembles the character.
It helps being able to flesh out the character and his history rather than cramming it all into a 2 hour film.
I’ve been a reader of the Reacher books for 10+ years now, so I do like the character, etc and this just feels more “Reacher” than the movies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It helps being able to flesh out the character and his history rather than cramming it all into a 2 hour film.
I’ve been a reader of the Reacher books for 10+ years now, so I do like the character, etc and this just feels more “Reacher” than the movies.
Excellent. I'm just working my way though S7 of Ray Donovan. This'll be next on the list.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I loved the movies with Cruise, but I never read the books. I did know the criticisms of him being cast in it due to the size disparity between him and the character so seeing Alan Ritchson cast as him had me excited, as I do love the actor a fair bit. I haven't seen any episodes of it yet but definitely plan on watching at least a few on the weekend.

Simbo

Also enjoyed the Cruise movies, from reading comments it seems a pre-requisite to that is you have to not know the source material :D

Duafc

Village Lemon
Smashed out 3 eps so far - decent.

Thad's slightly wooden and not exactly how I would envisage Reacher (too young really) but still a good watch.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Any man that can do an oil change, is man enough to play reacher in my book :). 5 episodes in and its not 100% faithful to the book, but it doesnt matter because its awesome!

mu4c_20le

Just started this now. First impression is, jesus christ that lad is huge.

Gambit

Also happy with the extreme violence when it goes off. Its not a pretty dance, it's people getting severely physically damaged in a short space of time,

Dan

Also happy with the extreme violence when it goes off. Its not a pretty dance, it's people getting severely physically damaged in a short space of time,
That shower fight scene reminded me of Banshee.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Seems like a cheap rip-off of Jack Hardcannon if I'm honest.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
First episode was pretty good.

marvel could have saved an awful lot of money if they just painted the main guy green.

Gambit

First episode was pretty good.

marvel could have saved an awful lot of money if they just painted the main guy green.
He's 1 inch shorter than Hemsworth and around 20lbs less.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I like Alan Ritchson, he was one of the only redeeming things about Titans. So I wanted to like this...

Having struggled through the first 2 episodes I'm not liking it because the main character is Superman without kryptonite and magic weaknesses, and instead with Batman's detective skills. This is an extremely boring cocktail for a character. Stereotypical male fantasy character who doesnt shut up about his height. Not the best people person I grant you but thats not a combat/solving cases weakness. I might continue the rest in the background hoping for better storytelling and more depth to the character in the coming episodes but this is a slow, boring start to anything other than fighting which it gets to right away.

Big Andy

Bloke
I like Alan Ritchson, he was one of the only redeeming things about Titans. So I wanted to like this...

Having struggled through the first 2 episodes I'm not liking it because the main character is Superman without kryptonite and magic weaknesses, and instead with Batman's detective skills. This is an extremely boring cocktail for a character. Stereotypical male fantasy character who doesnt shut up about his height. Not the best people person I grant you but thats not a combat/solving cases weakness. I might continue the rest in the background hoping for better storytelling and more depth to the character in the coming episodes but this is a slow, boring start to anything other than fighting which it gets to right away.
Have you read the books? That’s literally what Reacher is supposed to be.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Then you need to watch more Sherlock Holmes and less Jack Reacher. I thought all episodes were great, not much filler.

Loved the Supernatural anthem rock music they put in (episode 6 or 7) as a possible Easter egg for no reason. :)

Ekeke

Then you need to watch more Sherlock Holmes and less Jack Reacher. I thought all episodes were great, not much filler.

Loved the Supernatural anthem rock music they put in (episode 6 or 7) as a possible Easter egg for no reason. :)
So far he is Sherlock holmes, but he's also Superman and Batman on top of that

Basically he's what a 9 year old thinks would be a cool character "he has everything", missing the point that if a character has everything they get boring in 2 seconds and its the reason why popular characters dont tick all boxes - depth and allowing for interactions with other characters where its even possible for the main character to not instantly come out on top in a boring anticlimax.

He's what Superman gets accused of being but isnt and then made into a super intellectual smartest man in the room on top of that. Theres a reason why that character is usually not the most physically dominant character in a story - see shows like The Mentalist, Sherlock, etc. Its because you need tension and struggle in a story, if the character is perfect, physically dominant and the smartest man in the room theres no reason for there to ever be any stakes or care. He'll be fine. And on top of that he's cocky about it so if anything I'd prefer to see him lose, it just isnt going to happen when its his story.

Oldyella

3 episodes in, and enjoying it so far. Yes, Reacher is ridiculous, but its still fun.

I do think he should have been played by an older actor though, not read the books, but he's crammed a lot into his life for a younger guy.