Real Madrid’s best player of the last decade?

Idxomer

In the last 10 years, it's Modric or Benzema who both contributed heavily to their success while rebuilding after Ronaldo had left.

Rojofiam

Early contender for the worst post of 2023. As much as I dislike him now, I can’t agree with such garbage.
I mean, I don't think he improved Juventus, let alone United...but he's probably the best RM player of all time and they wouldn't have won 4 CLs in 5 years without him. It's Ronaldo without question.

kaku06

I mean, I don't think he improved Juventus, let alone United...but he's probably the best RM player of all time and they wouldn't have won 4 CLs in 5 years without him. It's Ronaldo without question.
Agreed. Till he left Madrid he was the focal point of both manutd and Madrid winning silverware after silverware.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ronaldo, it just has to be. They signed him for 80m, he scored 450 goals in 430 games or whatever it was, then sold him for 100m.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
From 2010-2020:

1. Ronaldo
2. Ramos
3. Modric

From 2020-2023
1. Benzema
2. Modric
3. Vinicious

Bondi77

Has to be Bale.
Made Ronnie look good and still looked better.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It has to be Ronaldo, but that doesn't mean that he was carrying his teammates, it's just that he was the best of all them.

After Ronaldo, it comes Modric,Marcelo,Benzema,Ramos etc.

ScholesyTheWise

Oh, come on now.
I strongly disliked the guy before it was mainstream in United circles, but-

how the hell can it not be Ronaldo?

jm99

Football is a team game. Great players make team mates appear better than they are. Does Ronaldo improve teams? Manchester United showed no visible decline after he left, that’s for sure. His team mates seem to improve more when he leaves a club than when he joins.
This is rubbish, we were clearly the best team in the league between 06-09 and then when Ronaldo left we weren't any more. If he'd stayed we'd have likely done 7 in a row till fergie retired, and I'd wager we'd have had a decent chance in the 2010 and 2012 champions leagues

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Now the dust has settled on Bale leaving Madrid - how do Madrid look back on his career with them? Do they seem him as a club legend, given he played a mammoth role during their most successful period?

Come on now. The narrative on him right now isnt good but at his peak he was one of the top handful to have ever played the game. Not only is he their best player of the last decade, he's the best player they've ever had.

KeanoMagicHat

A whole host of options from their golden era. Ramos, Marcelo, Benzema, Modric, Casemiro, Varane, Kroos, Pepe. That’s without even mentioning someone like… Courtois. Who could choose a best player?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cristiano, Marcelo and Ramos all left and they carried on winning stuff.

Has to be Kroos then.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh, come on now.
I strongly disliked the guy before it was mainstream in United circles, but-

how the hell can it not be Ronaldo?
Because he has not been a part of Real Madrid's squad for 40% of the last decade.

The argument then is, did he do enough in that 60% of the time, compared to other players who were there longer?

Maybe.

jm99

If you take out ronaldos first 3 seasons it leaves about 300 goals he scored in the rest of his time at real, including a lot of decisive goals in their 3 in a row CL, the only 2 players you could make an argument for since they played the whole decade are benzema and modric (unless I'm forgetting anyone) so I'd still reckon Ronaldo from 2012/13 to 2017/18 is enough to beat those 2, though modric runs him close

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Now the dust has settled on Bale leaving Madrid - how do Madrid look back on his career with them? Do they seem him as a club legend, given he played a mammoth role during their most successful period?
Fantastic first season, was unstoppable.

Downhill after that, playing him was often to the detriment of the team overall because we were better with Isco in the team in a 442. He did score important goals of course.

ScholesyTheWise

Because he has not been a part of Real Madrid's squad for 40% of the last decade.

The argument then is, did he do enough in that 60% of the time, compared to other players who were there longer?

Maybe.
Yes, I understand that.
but the use of the word "best" in the question, for me at least, makes it essentially impossible to choose someone else rather than Ronaldo,
who is considered the best Madrid player of all time / second only to Di Stefano.
Or maybe this was a consensus only a couple of months ago, and isn't anymore?
I don't know the answer but I'd be surprised it changed, even though Ronaldo declined to really comical extents.

if the question was something like "Which player contributed the most to Real Madrid's achievements in the past decade",
then I'd be more inclined to say that it's Modric or Benzema, taking everything into account.

But Ronaldo is a better football player than both, and it's not like he was at Madrid for a mere 1 or 2 seasons either.

If we stay with Madrid and go a decade earlier, I think their best player was Zidane, but he wasn't necessarily their most integral player to winning however much they won throughout the entire decade. That might be Casillas, for example.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think he went to Juve at the worst possible time for his last couple of good years. That squad was pretty lackluster around him. He'd have been better off playing at PSG and potentially getting them a CL after the last RM year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think he went to Juve at the worst possible time for his last couple of good years. That squad was pretty lackluster around him. He'd have been better off playing at PSG and potentially getting them a CL after the last RM year.
It was a massive massive miscalculation on both parts, juve were obsessed with getting the cl and they usually were thereabouts thinking ronaldo could be the last piece of the puzzle and Ronaldo was probably infatuated by the idea of getting the cl with a third club so a match made in heaven right?

Turns out that juve squad was careening towards their end and aside from his very first season in which to be fair they got quite close they were no where near the quality required to get there so he for the rest of of his tenure there he ended up playing with washed ups and subpar youth with out of their depth managers leading the line.

And also juve seemingly bankrupted itself in part due to that transfer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Football is a team game. Great players make team mates appear better than they are. Does Ronaldo improve teams? Manchester United showed no visible decline after he left, that’s for sure. His team mates seem to improve more when he leaves a club than when he joins.
We would have probably made the cl final and quite possibly had won it the very next year had he stayed on.

Rojofiam

I think he fancied winning Juventus their first Champions League title in over 2 decades and I guess he gained a lot of respect for the club after they applauded the bicycle kick goal he scored against them in the quarter finals. Had he reached that goal, he also would've become only the second player ever to win the CL with 3 different clubs and also the second player ever to win 6 CL titles overall.

In all honesty, I could see his reasons behind leaving Madrid and going to Juve, and I don't think it was a bad decision, even though it obviously didn't work out in the end.

IhabX7

You invest so much of your time watching and following football only to have thinly veiled, ridiculous, emotional takes. This thread is a mess.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
NOBITA FOREVAAAAAAHHHH

he's the best player they've ever had.
Debatable

Still one of favorite football pictures. I can't look at this picture and not hear Bruce Lee noises coming out of Robinho's mouth :lol:

Legend has it Robinho is still hidden somewhere at Valdebebas and we got a lookalike who continued his career afterward. Nobody found him yet to tell him Gravesen is gone, he can come out

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Waiting for the who is Madrid's top scorer ever thread....if we find a way to discredit Ronaldo's goals.

Cloud7

For me I would say it’s Ronaldo.

The only person who you could argue has been as important for them is Ramos