Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Skills

Snitch
It's all really down to how long Bale can keep himself fit.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

A sideways criticism of Cristiano by Valdano and praise for Lopeteguiball. Madrid’s football is certainly prettier than it has been for years. However, it will be interesting to see if Madrid wins more this season than previously.

There’s a certain beauty to Madrid’s doggedness of recent seasons. Moving away from that has its own risks.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal

A sideways criticism of Cristiano by Valdano and praise for Lopeteguiball. Madrid’s football is certainly prettier than it has been for years. However, it will be interesting to see if Madrid wins more this season than previously.

There’s a certain beauty to Madrid’s doggedness of recent seasons. Moving away from that has its own risks.
Real Madrid looks like those girls that get dumped and then start to have small revenges at their ex. It's a club that isn't used to get dumped by a player, usually they are the ones dumping the players.

All of Madrid from fans to journos to club figures are always making some remarks about Cristiano. lol

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Real Madrid looks like those girls that get dumped and then start to have small revenges at their ex. It's a club that isn't used to get dumped by a player, usually they are the ones dumping the players.

All of Madrid from fans to journos to club figures are always making some remarks about Cristiano. lol
And didn't they threaten to report Inter for "tapping up" Modric.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Valdano's words are hardly controversial (where is the remark about Cristiano btw?). From a purely football perspective what he said was something I noticed since one of the first games when I typed here that Benzema and Bale were looking more comfortable. That doesn't mean Madrid will get the trophies of course, but there's been a change of roles and the style has changed. That's a fact.

Now, you see Relaño and Valdano praise the style. Well, they're hardly Florentino's biggest fans, so if they do so there must be a good reason behind it.

Also, don't forget Ronaldo, in spite of having been a legendary player, is 33 years old. I wouldn't say it was the player who dumped the club in this case. For remarks go no further than "Juventus is different, it's like a family", from the man himself.

Reactions: Penna

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still convinced Barca's firepower will see them pip Madrid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That's Barca's main asset, no doubt.

Weakest link would be their midfield, but mainly in CL.
Their midfield will probably be exposed in Europe but can't see how they don't outscore everyone in the league.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Their midfield will probably be exposed in Europe but can't see how they don't outscore everyone in the league.
Our midfield was our worst part, but now with Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Coutinho, Arthur and Roberto + Messi helping in the buld up, we should have any situation covered with our set of tools.

Our weakest parts might be Pique (dodgy a lot of times), Alba (a gap defending our left flank), Suarez and Valverde. I consider all those things worse than our current level of midfielders.

ash_86

CL would be a much better test of Real's resilience. Also how they plan to cope up when Bale goes on his injury vacation.

Cait Sith

Why do everyone automatically assume that Real Madrid will not win the CL this season just because Zidane and Ronaldo left? They've shown that they are managing very well, winning 4-1 twice in a row and getting maximum points out of their first three games. Even the bookmaker have underrated them massively. Football is a team sport and the core of their team is still there, Bale and Benzema have stepped up. They will cruise their CL group and it will be funny if they somehow end up winning the league and 4th CL in a row and come end of season, this thread will look very stupid.
Because their CL wins were mostly down to Zidane's Voodoo abilities.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

You've got no idea really, Valdano has been like the furthest person imaginable from the club, it's management etc. for years, what he thinks is usually the opposite of whatever the club is doing, and his comments are usually not much different from a cule.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
You've got no idea really, Valdano has been like the furthest person imaginable from the club, it's management etc. for years, what he thinks is usually the opposite of whatever the club is doing, and his comments are usually not much different from a cule.
It's not just Valdano, it's all madrid, and fans and journos. As the other day AS had a comparison between the number of shots and goals of Ronaldo vs Bale+ Benzema.

You never heard the Modric name for best player until Ronaldo left Real Madrid.

And there's more has you know. Clearly there's an agenda if there is that's because he is still important.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:confused: Many people on the caf and everywhere else have said that Modric was our best and, more importantly, most consistent player several times over the years. Even in the past, when Ronaldo was having better seasons than the last one. So I really don't see what all the fuss is with Modric winning an individual trophy..

All of a sudden, it's all a big conspiracy.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
:confused: Many people on the caf and everywhere else have said that Modric was our best and, more importantly, most consistent player several times over the years. Even in the past, when Ronaldo was having better seasons than the last one. So I really don't see what all the fuss is with Modric winning an individual trophy..

All of a sudden, it's all a big conspiracy.
No one is saying if Modric deserved it or not, it's not the reasoning here. The reasoning is "Modric only was talked in the Spanish media has a big candidate to win after Cristiano left"

Do you agree that real Madrid always push for a player to get an individual prize?

Do you agree that IF RONALDO stayed in Real all the media from Madrid, marca, as and even chiringuito de jugones would push for Cristiano to win?

Then I don't see what is so strange in what I am saying

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
It's not just Valdano, it's all madrid, and fans and journos. As the other day AS had a comparison between the number of shots and goals of Ronaldo vs Bale+ Benzema.

And there's more has you know. Clearly there's an agenda if there is that's because he is still important.
Again, AS is a Daily Mail level paper (even worse) that no sane person cares about, and it's been proven time and time again that they're as anti-Madrid as it gets, they've got zero links within the club, constantly make up false stories just to make a controversy out of nothing, and for all we know their readers might be cules, La Liga followers in general, someone like you, or whatever, they don't represent or reflect what RM fans think or want.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

No one is saying if Modric deserved it or not, it's not the reasoning here. The reasoning is "Modric only was talked in the Spanish media has a big candidate to win after Cristiano left"

Do you agree that real Madrid always push for a player to get an individual prize?

Do you agree that IF RONALDO stayed in Real all the media from Madrid, marca, as and even chiringuito de jugones would push for Cristiano to win?

Then I don't see what is so strange in what I am saying
You're not wrong. Then again, part of the reason for that is precisely because Cristiano played for Madrid. We've all seen how he reacted to not winning a minor individual honour...

RoyH1

It's been abundantly reported how Zizou travelled to Haiti once a fortnight to undergo a cleansing ritual that would expand his footballing powers exponentially. The priest in charge of the ritual did tell Zizou though: "No good for league is this...."

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Well, Ronaldo, who was scoring 50 goals per season, has left Real Madrid after 9 seasons and 4 European Cups, and there's been a huge impact upfront in the lineup as a consequence. For a newspaper (a very critical of Florentino newspaper btw) that has to talk about football, and especially Madrid, on a daily basis, the strange thing would've been that they didn't talk about that big change in how the team now attacks as compared to before.

As for Modric, well, that makes sense. If a club has two candidates and supports only one of them that can be a big problem. Once Modric won the WC MVP and Ronaldo left, what did you expect Madrid to do?

I get that some people's perspectives revolve all around Ronaldo and only Ronaldo, but come on, that's hardly the only thing to analyze here. Reality is way more complex than that. The proof is some people look at Valdano as Madrid's mouthpiece, which clearly shows they know nothing about his allegiances since he was forced to leave the club.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
How can you know that?

The only thing we know is Ronaldo wasn't up to his usual legendary standards in CL semifinals, CL final and WC (except vs Spain when he was colossal).

Modric happened to win the WC MVP and was quite good in CL too, and although I've seen him play better in the past, he was quite good nonetheless.

About the first part of the league I won't talk because the whole squad was extremely bad, except for maybe Nacho.

Did you really expect Madrid to fully support one player and not the other one in a very unclear situation? I'm not so so sure.

zkap

Supports
Barça
Our midfield was our worst part, but now with Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Coutinho, Arthur and Roberto + Messi helping in the buld up, we should have any situation covered with our set of tools.

Our weakest parts might be Pique (dodgy a lot of times), Alba (a gap defending our left flank), Suarez and Valverde. I consider all those things worse than our current level of midfielders.
Agree completely. Midfield looks much better now and the depth we have is not just in numbers, but in actual quality, as well. I am perfectly fine having Arthur and Arturo Vidal on the pitch in a Champions League game, which is far more than I could say for Andre Gomes, for example. I am particularly happy that Valverde is trying Coutinho in midfield, will add a lot of creativity.

As for the weak links, yes I would say the same, though I'd put Valverde as our weakest link. The players can underperform sometimes, but I just don't see us winning the Champions League with Valverde's cowardly approach even if none of our players have an off-day.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
About Madrid/AS, Florentino's conflict with them starts with an interview 4 years ago, to Gay de Liébana, a professor of economics, who sometimes explains things on television and radio.
He speaks of the worrying debt of Madrid and takes for granted the relationship of ACS, construction company of Florentino with certain signings, like James.
https://as.com/futbol/2014/09/25/primera/1411604845_180766.html
What are the indicators of those accounts in which the Real Madrid partner should be more worried?

-You have to worry first about the volume that the entity itself is acquiring. Madrid has a large turnover, but that also implies a significant burden at the expense level. For having a very strong squad of footballers and non-players. You have to be very high to be able to defray that cost. And then the debt. Make no mistake, and with all due respect, it is a euphemism to call it another way, not to say that we are talking about 602 million euros.

-Well Florentino says that the debt is something else, which is not 602 million ...
- He sees it from the concept of what is financial debt, which is what you should discount what you owe. But of course, the debt is the payment obligations and therefore Madrid has to pay 602 million euros. For any economist, the gross debt of Madrid is 602 million.

- What tells you that the short-term debt is much greater than the long-term debt?
-It is very common in clubs to abuse short-term debt. But it is a very operational debt. I always tell the clubs to be careful with that debt, because if at any time there is a problem of collection of the debtor there may be a certain tension. You are trusting in the situation that you are always going to charge. If you can lower the short debt, better. And the chronic problem of the clubs is also the negative maneuver fund.

-What does it mean?
- That you owe more in the short term than what you have between the cash and what you have to charge in the short term. In Madrid it is -94 million. In other words. What I have to pay in less than a year is higher than what I have in money and what I am going to charge in less than a year. Here there is a key element in football and in companies, for example, of food distribution. If you charge fast there is no problem. But if you get stuck at the time of charging is a problem, so you have to avoid tensions.

-How long will the debt be assumable for Madrid?

-Depends ... Madrid should have much less debt than they bill, that is, much less than 550 million. For me it would be formidable if they had 300 or 400 million. Thus, the income of a year would cover that debt excessively. But in football, Madrid and Barça are among the best, because they cover almost 90 percent of that debt. Now, what would happen if a year is punctured/clicked?

- What do you mean?

-Well, imagine, that one year you fall in the group stage of the Champions League. Or that you do not qualify for Europe, as has happened to United. But United have surprisingly signed the century contract with their new sponsor, as they changed Nike for Adidas.

-How much does they get per year?
-I think that 90 million, a lot. I understand that the executive who signed the contract has been beheaded. I've heard that (ironically). Well, the important thing is not to have debt, but when you are with these investing anxieties (in reference to Madrid), acquiring players and thinking about making sports stadiums and cities, you want to not, you go into debt and debt.

- How can Madrid have 170 million in treasury and have that debt or pay 10 million in financial expenses?
- Madrid want to have money, because it allows you to do some operations, such as signings, at a better price. It is reasonable. And another thing: when you want to buy something asking the bank for money. In that case, the entity knows that you have cash to support the operation.

- What indicates that Madrid has begun to sell important players in the last two seasons?

-that they want to make cash? I think he sold well Di Maria and the others. They were reference players. Madrid were never a sales club, but a buyer. I liked those players a lot. Although I was in love with the real Madrid of Pirri, Stielike, Netzer, Santillana, Camacho ...

- Did Madrid need to sell Di Maria to sign James?

-Yes! The Fideo was a player like a "pine tree" (a very good player). It seems to me that there were other interests, although it is my presumption. I think it was more important to have a Colombian than an Argentine, or to sign a Mexican ...

- It has to do with ACS?

-Yes ... It's in sight,it is no discovery. He signed James and ACS was assigned a great work for which will bill 696 million euros. It was on a trip that the president of ACS made with the vice president of the Government to Bogotá. They met with Colombian President Santos.

-After the signing of James?
-Yes, and as a result of there they assign the work to him. It's a highway. The first phase of a whole stretch for which it costs 696 million euros. Then we have the theme of Chicharito. That comes at the last minute, in the extra time. On that day it was announced, that Norman Foster presented the model to the president of Mexico of what will be the new airport in México City: 9,000 million dollars that are looking for a construction company. And there is also talk that in Costa Rica large projects are going to be approached from the point of view of public works, and Keylor Navas is in the Madrid goal.

-I get it...

-And besides Madrid have a great football promotion school in Arabia, where a subsidiary of ACS is proposed to build football stadiums for 2,000 million. And also recently an act appeared with Abu Dhabi. As Abhu Dabi has more than 300,000 million euros in the coming years to spend on public works.

- you leave me worried!

-No, no ... I understand that if someone takes the destinations of a club, we know that he does not charge a fee, and that if he can benefit from the effect (in the good sense of the word) and the socios are happy, because there is no problem. Do not get me wrong. This is the reality ... There is a very direct relationship between signings and business.

-The model of Florentino in Madrid is sustainable?

- Saying with all the respect and from the knowledge that I have of the companies of the Ibex, this is a model that gives me a little bit of fear because in ACS it has not been sustainable. ACS bought Union Fenosa and it was a huge financial burden and had to disinvest. It was making other investments, as in the German Hochtief, which over time has had to go trimming. From there came the signings of several German players to go content the German public, to seek sympathy. They were also almost all players of Turkish origin, taking into account that one of the cities that were running for the last Olympic Games were Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid.

I do not think it's a bad newspaper. Relaño writes very well and I think they also had Segurola a long time. His problem is to mess with ACS and the editorial line, which is always too hard, both with the signings and promoting excessively anti-Florentino platforms, such as Compromiso Blanco. That has resulted in zero player interviews and being very lost in the transfer market. In any case Relaño retires after an internal wal in the newspaper. His replacement,Elortegui, is pro Florentino( he even worked at the club, with Boluda), so the things will change a lot next year

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it a shit-tier paper, for one, if you've got no inside info, why would you want to make up a billion false news, be it transfer related or not... unless you just want to sell your paper, no matter what. They not only make news out of their asses, but also try to expand on it to make it believable, and when it comes into light that it was another bullshit AS story, they try to spin it again... that's much worse. Do they think that people's memories get restarted on a daily basis or something?

And two, their absolute enmity with Florentino, be it right or wrong, has clouded their judgements, reviews etc. so much that it's like they just have to spin every positive thing about the team into something negative, or looking to make up controversies out of nothing at every opportunity, while the team has had one of its most successful periods, in short, most of what they've written over the past years has been closer to an alternate reality.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Again, AS is a Daily Mail level paper (even worse) that no sane person cares about, and it's been proven time and time again that they're as anti-Madrid as it gets.
What? Absolute nonsense, it has a heavy Madrid focus.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You could see the cracks during Zidane's last season but somehow he carried them over the line with a champions league win.

Ronaldo gone, Zidane gone, Bale gets injured too often, Modric and Ramos getting old - I can see them dropping really far behind Barca in all honesty.

Even if they do sign Neymar or Mbappe it wont be easy to steer this ship on its track.
Ramos getting old will have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure if I have ever seen a more over rated player. I'm so glad we didn't get him a couple years ago like we were rumoured. As it stands, with who we have, he would be our 6th central defender behind Smalling, Jones, Lindeloff, Bailley and Rojo. He would have been 7th choice but we sold Blind...

Andy_Cole

Ramos getting old will have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure if I have ever seen a more over rated player. I'm so glad we didn't get him a couple years ago like we were rumoured. As it stands, with who we have, he would be our 6th central defender behind Smalling, Jones, Lindeloff, Bailley and Rojo. He would have been 7th choice but we sold Blind...
This is the worst post I’ve ever seen.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I mean I’m certainly not Ramos’ biggest fan but that’s just outrageous. He’s a leader, a fighter, a ball playing defender who is solid in defense, something our back line hasn’t had since Vida/Rio. Oh and he actually stays on the pitch and not on the trainers table. Besides, the way our defense is playing right now, that’s just :houllier: to say. Look like academy defenders out there.
Ramos is great on the ball, maybe the best CB ever in terms of attacking set pieces and his pace allows them to play a really high line but, it is not like Real have been breaking clean sheet records over the years. He is great player for Real but, he would not really fix our defensive issues. But, I am one of the people who think our defensive problems are not just a personnel problem.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappe is a kid who has been playing second fiddle to Neymar. Despite this his quality has absolutely shone through, as you’d know of you watched him and didn’t just read goal stats.

No he didn’t. Fekir is the undisputed star of the Lyon team, Diaz isn’t even close to that. He went on a good scoring run despite being fairly shit last season. Even Depay looked better than him, and he was also pretty shit for the first half of the season.

You clearly don’t watch French football. If you did, you’d be embarrassed to write that.
What is embarassing is to say that Mbappe was tearing the French League into pieces, while he scored 13 goals in the best team by far in the French League Neymar played the same possition but on the other wing, and scored the double of goals and gave the fouble lf assists than him, while havong played less than 30 games. That is tearing a league into pieces.

Both Neymar and Cavani were 100 times better than him in PSG last season, and to be realistic, the only time where Mbappe was really good this year was in the WC. Besides the WC, he was very average all this season.

And then, you say that Mariano was shite this last season while scoring almost the double of goals than him. Its not stats but what they give to their respective teams.

You say that Mariano wasn't even near to being the star of the team, that it was Fekir. All I see is that Fekir had 22 goals and 8 assists vs Mariano's 21 goals and 7 assists.

All of that, remembering that Fekir has been in Lyon for the last 5 seasons and this is the first of them that he scores more than 15 goals, while Mariano arrived with 24 years to Lyon and was his first season.

So please, stop talking all that dumbshite about him just because you don't like the guy or Madrid. No one is saying that he is better than Mbappe, but in the French League he was definitely better than him, and getting into the Top 5 top scorers in a French League with Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe, Fekir, etc... while managing to also being one of the best assisters of your team in your first season... Ridiculous.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is embarassing is to say that Mbappe was tearing the French League into pieces, while he scored 13 goals in the best team by far in the French League Neymar played the same possition but on the other wing, and scored the double of goals and gave the fouble lf assists than him, while havong played less than 30 games. That is tearing a league into pieces.

Both Neymar and Cavani were 100 times better than him in PSG last season, and to be realistic, the only time where Mbappe was really good this year was in the WC. Besides the WC, he was very average all this season.

And then, you say that Mariano was shite this last season while scoring almost the double of goals than him. Its not stats but what they give to their respective teams.

You say that Mariano wasn't even near to being the star of the team, that it was Fekir. All I see is that Fekir had 22 goals and 8 assists vs Mariano's 21 goals and 7 assists.

All of that, remembering that Fekir has been in Lyon for the last 5 seasons and this is the first of them that he scores more than 15 goals, while Mariano arrived with 24 years to Lyon and was his first season.

So please, stop talking all that dumbshite about him just because you don't like the guy or Madrid. No one is saying that he is better than Mbappe, but in the French League he was definitely better than him, and getting into the Top 5 top scorers in a French League with Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe, Fekir, etc... while managing to also being one of the best assisters of your team in your first season... Ridiculous.
Mariano wasn't better than Mbappé, the only way to say something like that would be if you haven't watched Lyon and PSG last season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Also if the only thing you are looking at his goals scored.
But then it shows that you don't know Lyon, any striker for Lyon will score an healthy amount of goals, their stats are slightly inflated. One thing that Genesio deserves credit for is that his teams create chances for fun against everyone. They are just not consistent.

Mariano has qualities though but he needs to be more present in the game and while it's good to be very confident sometimes he needs to think twice before shooting from +30 meters.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Sure, a 26 year old Neymar at the peak of his abilities is clearly a fair comparison to a 19 year old just coming into his own. Mbeppe must indeed be terrible.. If you actually watched any French football you'd have seen a 19 year old making highly experienced players look like absolute mugs, with some outrageous displays of talent. No, at 19 he's not scoring 40 goals a season yet, but then again no sensible person would have expected him to.

Both Neymar and Cavani were 100 times better than him in PSG last season, and to be realistic, the only time where Mbappe was really good this year was in the WC. Besides the WC, he was very average all this season
Bullshit.

Yes, all you see is stats. That is very obvious.

I watched him over 30 times last season, and I'm basing my opinion on that. If you want to sit and look only at stats then you go right ahead, but I'll continue to trust my own eyes. If Chelsea had bought Diaz I would have been absolutely appalled.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Yesterday they had Isco, Vasquez and Mariano on the bench, all of which can do a job in attack for them, albeit not on Bale's level. Bale out long term is a worry for anyone, but I cant see them having problems breaking down half the teams in La Liga without him.

I'm not sure about their depth in other areas however. What happens if one of Ramos and Varane gets injured? Or Casemiro?
If Ramos or Varane get injured there is no problem, Nacho is an amazing defender. With Casemiro injured there would be a problem, we have more midfielders but no one as Casemiro.

He is much better than the other six combined. Also has won more than the other six combined... The most ridiculous post ever!

This is the worst post I’ve ever seen.
Me too, I still can't believe what I just read hahaha.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Mariano has qualities though but he needs to be more present in the game and while it's good to be very confident sometimes he needs to think twice before shooting from +30 meters.
This is actually a much fairer statement than some of mine about Diaz. He frustrated me so much last year, that I'm probably over villainizing him a bit. Thinking about it more calmly, it probably was those wasteful long range shots that played a fairly big role in annoying me so much. I still wouldn't have wanted him at Chelsea in any way, shape or form, but perhaps I'm being a little over harsh about his talent.

I guess we'll see this season.