Realistically if we want to win the CL anytime soon..

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Modric - Better than all our midfielders except Carrick where there is not much to choose between them. Completely different player though. We were better than Madrid, but that wasn't because our midfield at all, at the contrary Madrid easily dominated in that part. It is good seeing us being better than Madrid, but you can't deny that we had to set team with very negative tactics in order to do that.

Wanyama - I really don't know about this. He looks to be a very strong player, but I don't know if he has the other abilities required.

Matic - Agree with you

Vidal - Good be excellent for us. I think that he is better than Demebele, a player that should probably be in PL team of the year.

Gundogan - Probably the best under 23 midfielder in the world at the moment. 30m in today's market wouldn't be that much for him. His young age means that he could play more than 10 years here. If we were willing to spend 31m in a striker we didn't need some years ago, or we were willing to spend more than 15m in Zaha, a young winger from championship, I can't see why we are not going to spent that amount of money for a great young midfielder who will improve us a lot.

Cabaye - Could be a good squad player, and in next season very likely would start before Cleverley. We should aim higher though.

Eriksen - An attacking midfielder that we don't need.

Lampard - Would love to happen if we were in 2005.

Of course there are the others like Bender twins, Moutinho who could be excellent signings and then other players like Strootman, Banega, Herrera or Sahin who could actually work and become better players at United.

One thing is sure, there is a lot of quality midfielders right there.
We are talking about winning the champions league, I think you are giving too much credit to some players who might do well in a europa league. If we do buy a midfielder he should be someone like Javi Martinez or Xavi Alonso(in his prime). To beat the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern & Dortmund we need to get 8 & 9/10 players, not 6 or 7/10 ones.

Comsmit

I meant to say you couldn't play them both together, my mistake. It is risky when playing a very high line.
Yes I suppose one of Evans and Smalling would slot in alongside one of them. I agree it would be riskier playing both together, Vidic would struggle more than Rio I feel.