Rebuilding Real Madrid - how do you do it? | Buy well

gaucho_10

How does salt drip? It's not a liquid
Like flea on a shit. Now yours is pouring, but his is still dripping because it melted first after Ronaldo was sold without anyone telling him how great he was for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

Zero net spend in last 5 years and 3 CL's and a league title in the same period. That will never happen again in football.

Dude, your salt is dripping out of my monitor.
It was preceded by an enormous amount of spending so there's that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Zero net spend in last 5 years and 3 CL's and a league title in the same period. That will never happen again in football.

Salt of what? I always root for Madrid over Barca in Spain. It's Real Madrid fans complaining, not me. Or was I imagining the chants for Florentino to resign?

Your success in the past years happened because of the business done before it, not because of the business done during it. It wasn't Ceballos and Theo Hernandez that won you the CL titles.

Since 2016/17 it's been one feck up one after the other and you went from the best team in the world to the complete mess that was last season. It was incredibly poor management. This summer you're just doing at once what should have been done smoothly during the past 3 years.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Techically, 4 CL in exactly last 5 years. But one CL here and there...:)

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Like flea on a shit. Now yours is pouring, but his is still dripping because it melted first after Ronaldo was sold without anyone telling him how great he was for us.
Not like I was saying the exact same thing since 2017 while Ronaldo was at the club, right? What an idiot.

It was great at the start of the summer in 2017:

Madrid's transfer window has been pretty much perfect, the quantity and quality of your young players is insane and I still feel like you'll replace Morata with Mbappe.
Since he got left out of the CL final squad it seems pretty obvious James is out of Madrid but I haven't heard many rumous about him leaving which is a bit weird. Letting Kovacic go would be a bad move imo. He has impressed me and Modric is nearly 32.
Then at the end of the summer it was obvious it was turning into a disaster:

If Real bring in Mbappe I think they'll win it now that Neymar is gone, but people are underestimating the players that left them. Pepe, James and Morata aren't small losses. They lost 30 goals alone with Morata and James leaving and even though Mbappe is superb, he's very young and it's impossible to know how he'll adapt.
Madrid are being stupid here. Mbappe would fit perfectly in their squad and they have tons of money to spend.

This is probably Perez just talking crap though, there's no way they go into the season without getting a new forward.
Then you didn't buy a forward and the following summer you sold Cristiano Ronaldo and bought in Mariano... You ended up winning the Champions League in 2018 despite your management sabotaging their own team. Jovic is the Morata replacement, Militão is the Pepe replacement, Mendy is Marcelo's successor... all of it should have happened way before now.

Last edited:

gaucho_10

Your success in the past years happened because of the business done before it, not because of the business done during it. It wasn't Ceballos and Theo Hernandez that won you the CL titles.

Since 2016/17 it's been one feck up one after the other and you went from the best team in the world to the complete mess that was last season. It was incredibly poor management. This summer you're just doing at once what should have been done smoothly during the past 3 years.
If you look at things without context then everthing except winnig everything is failure because one can always go back and say "this should have been done differently".

Here's how it looks, looking at it from the inside:

1. Nothing last forever regardless of how hard you try and how good your decisions are

2. Buying "cheap Spanish talent" while the player prices were going to the moon and our first team still had few years in them was a gamble, but it was done at the right time. It didn't work out but we can live with that. Besides, all of those players will be sold without financial loss.

3. Ronaldo was not replaced because Perez hoped Bale will take over now that Ronaldo is not here any more. Bale was his project, it was always going to happen and I as a fan just had to accept that.

4. We lost one season and we will have a squad ready for figthing on all fronts in a month. All our signing will be financed by player sale so we're not really spending money but we're getting the players we need.

It couldn't have been better for us these last 6 years even in our wildest dreams and financially this period was also great for the club (spending nothing and winning so much, getting huge new shirt sponsor and Adidas deals based on that recent success in CL). One bad season doesn't change that. It means nothing. We reset now, get the hunger back into the squad and we start fresh. It's awesome all together.

Last edited:

Lee565

With Bale completely frozen out they should go after Sane, a front 3 of Hazard, Jovic, Sane with be quite formidable.

dove

How do you do it? A complete opposite of what we do. Be ruthless, sign quality players and again, be ruthless. No BS like "he deserves at least 3 years" etc.

Lee565

Hazard and Sane are best in the same position.
Could Sane not perform as someone that comes inside from the right wing? he has everything in his locker to think he could do just as well in that role as the likes of Robben or Bale have done

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
They need to rebuild and continue their good work in building their next great side. We need fixing after failed managerial stints. They won the CL multiple times only to have one bar season and haven't spent much in recent times. We've spent 6 years loitering around 4th to 6th wasting money. There's no comparison. They are well placed and we are not.
I was never implying they are as bad as us but they do need to refresh their playing staff. Same as United - although our rot goes much deeper. That is not even a debate.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Could Sane not perform as someone that comes inside from the right wing? he has everything in his locker to think he could do just as well in that role as the likes of Robben or Bale have done
If he could I think Pep and Low would have tried them there.

sp_107

Mbappe to Real feels natural. Sooner or later he has to play there. I hope sooner, because it´s a waste of talent for him to play in League 1. Jovic is the new Benzema and Mbappe the new Ronaldo.

--------Jovic--------------Mbappe-------
-----------------Hazard-------------------
------Kroos-----------------Pjanic--------
----------------Casemiro------------------
Mendy---Ramos------Varane---Carvajal
-----------------Courtois------------------
More or Less this is going to be their team. one from Erikson/Pogba or Pjanic I think

Beauty is the rebuild will be complete in few weeks. That is how you sign players

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If you look at things without context then everthing except winnig everything is failure because one can always go back and say "this should have been done differently".
What I'm saying now is what I said in 2017 and 2018, I showed you the posts. I'm not criticizing retrospectively. I was criticing Perez for how he was killing that team as it was happening even when they were winning CL titles. I criticized him for the past few years but I praise him for what he's doing this summer too. I think he's got it right this time around and he's redeeming himself.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
What I'm saying now is what I said in 2017 and 2018, I showed you the posts. I'm not criticizing retrospectively. I was criticing Perez for how he was killing that team as it was happening even when they were winning CL titles. I criticized him for the past few years but I praise him for what he's doing this summer too. I think he's got it right this time around and he's redeeming himself.
He was been very stuck up about the club's success by neglecting to reinforce some areas and thinking the team would keep going like that even after losing Ronaldo and Zidane leaving. At least it seems last season has given him a reality check and now is back on track and supporting Zidane.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Here's how it looks, looking at it from the inside:

1. Nothing last forever regardless of how hard you try and how good your decisions are

2. Buying "cheap Spanish talent" while the player prices were going to the moon and our first team still had few years in them was a gamble, but it was done at the right time. It didn't work out but we can live with that. Besides, all of those players will be sold without financial loss.

3. Ronaldo was not replaced because Perez hoped Bale will take over now that Ronaldo is not here any more. Bale was his project, it was always going to happen and I as a fan just had to accept that.

4. We lost one season and we will have a squad ready for figthing on all fronts in a month. All our signing will be financed by player sale so we're not really spending money but we're getting the players we need.

It couldn't have been better for us these last 6 years even in our wildest dreams and financially this period was also great for the club (spending nothing and winning so much, getting huge new shirt sponsor and Adidas deals based on that recent success in CL). One bad season doesn't change that. It means nothing. We reset now, get the hunger back into the squad and we start fresh. It's awesome all together.

Genuine question, not being a smart arse, but how are all your signings going to be covered by player sales this summer? If they spend 300-400M, as has been mooted, who are they possibly going to sell to cover that sort of outlay?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Is he good or pure nepotism?
Not Lunin? Luca is in no way good enough to be 2nd keeper for top team. If he stays, that would be a shameful case of nepotism.
This year I have not seen Castilla but everyone says he has improved a lot.
I think he is in the lower categories of France.
Lunin will go on loan.
Yes, it is pure nepotism. The revitalization / help in Luca's career may be one of his motivations for training, as it was with Enzo years ago

gaucho_10

Genuine question, not being a smart arse, but how are all your signings going to be covered by player sales this summer? If they spend 300-400M, as has been mooted, who are they possibly going to sell to cover that sort of outlay?
Signings (Militao was bought in the winter so I'm not counting him):

Jovic - 60 mil €
Hazard - 100 mil € ??
Mendy (Lyon) - 50 mil €
I think that's it, maybe a midfielder but not Pogba (don't think Perez will approve 150 mil € transfer + wages, so let's say Ndombele or Eriksen - 70 mil €)
SUM - up to 300 mil € max

Sales with transfer fee's from the top of my head:

Navas - 15 mil €
Bale - 50 mil €
James - 50 mil €
Theo - 25 mil €
Llorente - 50 mil € (word is Atleti are willing to pay big for him but the club doesn't want to sell to them)
Kovacic - 30 mil €
Isco - 60 mil €
Reguilon - 20 mil €
Ceballos - 40 mil €
Asensio - 40 mil €
Nacho -15 mil €
Mariano - 20 mil €
Mayoral - 10 mil €

Obviously, not everyone I named here will be sold, specially not all midfielders if we're buying only one midfielder, but Navas, James, Bale, Theo and one of Isco or Llorente are leaving guaranteed and we're already at 200 mil € in sales.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Madrid ain't messing around. All this before the window officially opens with rumours of interest in Erikssen or Pogba as well...

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Now we have to see what to do with Reguilón, Llorente, Ceballos, Odegaard, Brahim, Lucas, Isco, Bale and Mariano (Rodrygo and Vini too?)

Zidane had asked for more "muscle" in midfield, so I guess it will be the next goal.

RoyH1

Now we have to see what to do with Reguilón, Llorente, Ceballos, Odegaard, Brahim, Lucas, Isco, Bale and Mariano (Rodrygo and Vini too?)

Zidane had asked for more "muscle" in midfield, so I guess it will be the next goal.

Makes sense. Modric and Kroos for all their incredible talent lack physique and pace. Casemiro cannot do all the running himself and Kovacic seems to have fallen out bad with the Madrid brass.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah strikes me as one of those summers where everyone says it's amazing and it doesn't turn out that way.
Agreed, based on the players they've signed and those who will remain seems to me Hazard will be swapping doing everything at Chelsea to having to do everything at Real Madrid and he won't get the free ride he gets from the Chelsea fans when he goes missing in countless games

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's not expected all the new players will perform wonderful from day one but more about the team needed to be refreshed from a pair of seasons ago. The core of the squad has remained unchanged for a lot of time and I'm of the idea that even when having a successful team players still need to be challenged constantly to keep performing at optimal level, in this case it would be in the form of new players trying to get a starting spot in the squad. Also having someone like Hazard joining the team is something that can inspire the whole squad, although ideally he should have arrived when Ronaldo left.

Mark1361

Madrid always bounce back and always sing the best players in the world. In fact if it was not for Oil money no one could even come close to them in transfer records. they just spent 150M plus Hazard.

When could you ever see us spend that much on a single player.

by the time we spend that much on a player they be spending 300m.

El Jefe

Except for Hazard they are all unproven.
That's never been a problem for Madrid. After the Galacticos were well and truly done, the likes of Ramos, Higuian and Marcelo were bought who were all unproven and Pepe shortly after. With the exception of Higuian (even though he was class) the rest ended up being world class players and stayed for a minimum of 10 seasons.