Rebuilding the NHS

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Once the current pandemic dies off, focus will turn on to the NHS and how it will survive going forward.

will the Tories start privatising it? Will they decide it’s now time to nurture and strengthen it?

how will it be funded? will the public be happy to contribute?

should there be a national debate?

let’s hear your thoughts

Kag

The government will implement the most brutal form of economic (and ideological) austerity the country has ever seen.

Those currently applauded will be directly affected for the worse - again.

Nogbadthebad

They will cut even more. Those '40 hospitals' that were in reality 6 refurbs and feasibility studies of some potential new hospitals, will never happen. They probably were not going to anyway, but the coming recession will be the excuse.

And in the other discussion I saw lots of mentions of German Healthcare and so forth.

The basic rule with healthcare is the more money the better outcomes. Germany spend around 25% more than the UK per capita, maybe even more since the investment cuts of the last few years.

The only outlier to that is the US, which spends close to 2.5 times we do per capita. The benefits of a system designed for profit rather than treatment.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The government will implement the most brutal form of economic (and ideological) austerity the country has ever seen.

Our claps will sustain them

Kag

Of course, the correct answer would be to increase funding, reopen empty buildings, reintroduce the nursing bursary and ensure that pay increases are in line with real-terms economic movement.

If tax rises are necessary to support this then so be it. Those who can pay more, should do so. The low paid and disabled should be protected from this.

Deery

Dreary
A small charge for prescriptions and A+E would be a start, £10 a go or something..

stepic

the public won't stomach privitisation, no chance.

more funding will take place. at least that's what I'd hope will happen.

Nogbadthebad

Guaranteed VAT at 25% is the first thing they do.

Tories are the only party to ever raise VAT, they love it because it's recessive.

I hope two things happen:

Move to a co-pay service - I know it didn't work well in Germany but it has been effective in a number of other countries. I have lived in two of those that had a far more effective and available health service than the NHS. A small fee to access services can work wonders if implemented properly.

Transfer non essential medicine to private providers - leave the NHS to focus on what it's actually good at.

There also things like the supplier lists that cost billions and need doing away with.

The NHS in its current form will eat up any money that's given to it. It needs to change if it is to survive long term.

Deery

Dreary
So poor people are not only less likely to better their lives, but also less likely to survive? Fantastic.
People aren’t that poor, they can pay direct debit £2 a week or something.

Kag

I’m alright, Jack.

It seems obvious to me, from this snapshot of a remark, that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Skills

Snitch
Tell that to our ever increasing homeless population or people having to rely on food banks to get food.

Deery

Dreary
I’m alright, Jack.

It seems obvious to me, from this snapshot of a remark, that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.
Even on universal credit you could afford £1-2 a week, the most at risk would be homeless on the street not getting any benefits but am sure something can be worked out for them.

Skills

Snitch
Even on universal credit you could afford £1-2 a week, the most at risk would be homeless on the street not getting any benefits but am sure something can be worked out for them.
Surely you get the irony there?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
never mind the NHS GB, what about our own damn HSE? Higher spend per capita than the NHS for a far worse health system. I'd love to have the feckin' NHS!

LInkash

Tell that to our ever increasing homeless population or people having to rely on food banks to get food.
It does raise a good point though, maybe those earning over a certain amount can pay moreo? I don't know. To the well-off, it would just be nothing really but would put a lot of money into the NHS.

Sweet Square

the only thing we're going to learn in this thread is that caf posters are uniquely unqualified to reform anything
Earlier than expected tbh

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I've said it before and doubt it will ever happen, but the management of the NHS and pensions policy should be taken out of the hands of government and run by some kind of long-term cross-party committee. They face generational funding and planning issues and need to be taken out of the vagaries of the election cycle.

The public would stomach a penny on income tax for the NHS now more than at any other time in recent memory probably, so go for it.

Kag

Work something out for people we actively ignore? Forgive my cynicism.

What happens to people that require A&E services on a more frequent basis? Do they continue to pay for a service they are increasingly unable to afford, in spite of their poverty?

Then there is the rebound affect of such charges. It simply increases the number of children that attend school without uniform or having eaten breakfast. More children will be plunged into poverty for reasons out of their control.

When people are choosing not to attend A&E because they are anxious about their finances, it will cost even more money when an ambulance is called out to the home. Or do we just leave them to die and fester?

acnumber9

I've said it before and doubt it will ever happen, but the management of the NHS and pensions policy should be taken out of the hands of government and run by some kind of long-term cross-party committee. They face generational funding and planning issues and need to be taken out of the vagaries of the election cycle.

The public would stomach a penny on income tax for the NHS now more than at any other time in recent memory probably, so go for it.
The reality would probably be any increase funding cuts in Corporation Tax.

Deery

Dreary
And who cares if you kill off a bunch of homeless?
Of course not no one wants to see anyone die, we would need help with homeless charities to help those people as well maybe some sort of scheme to allow these people no charge.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Once the current pandemic dies off, focus will turn on to the NHS and how it will survive going forward.

will the Tories start privatising it? Will they decide it’s now time to nurture and strengthen it?

how will it be funded? will the public be happy to contribute?

should there be a national debate?

let’s hear your thoughts
The government will embark on an unprecedented level of investment in the NHS because the public will accept nothing less.

It has made me laugh that people are suddenly so mortified by the lack of public funding in this institution, despite vast swathes voting for a party that made deep cuts the norm.

You reap what you sow, I’m afraid.

Skills

Snitch
it's cool when everyone ignores minor ailments and only go to the doctors when they're literally 10 seconds from dropping dead and shitting the floor
This is one of the biggest reasons the American healthcare system is so broken. Preventative care works out much cheaper than trying to save people from their death beds.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The government also needs to look at major investment in curing the homeless and mental crises, plus the yawning gap between rich and poor. This country is a fecking mess if you are unfortunate enough to fall into the bracket of have nots.

Deery

Dreary
Likeminded affluent individuals in his area can afford it.
Very much the opposite I’ve been in bad places in my life and still had enough to live off on benefits, agreement it was harder though

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The government also needs to look at major investment in curing the homeless and mental crises, plus the yawning gap between rich and poor. This country is a fecking mess if you are unfortunate enough to fall into the bracket of have nots.
That won't happen under a Conservative government

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It needs expanding to provide much more provision for mental health and also social care for the elderly. This is not cheap though and there really ought to be a Royal Commission established to look into such things and the best way to fund it going forward.

Deery

Dreary
Work something out for people we actively ignore? Forgive my cynicism.

What happens to people that require A&E services on a more frequent basis? Do they continue to pay for a service they are increasingly unable to afford, in spite of their poverty?

Then there is the rebound affect of such charges. It simply increases the number of children that attend school without uniform or having eaten breakfast. More children will be plunged into poverty for reasons out of their control.

When people are choosing not to attend A&E because they are anxious about their finances, it will cost even more money when an ambulance is called out to the home. Or do we just leave them to die and fester?
Maybe there should be a wage bracket that you contribute at then and homeless and benefits get it for free