Redafe Champions League Draft - Akash v Jake

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Formation and Roles

I will deploy a 4-3-2-1 formation with McManaman and Hagi playing behind Romario. Not only can McManaman provide width on the right hand side but he's very comfortable playing anywhere behind the main striker. Pep Guardiola will be the deep lying playmaker with Petit and Baraja alongside him. The full backs have the license to go forward but Lahm and Gio are both very good defensively as well. I have the all Italian pairing of Cannavaro and Chiellini with the very reliable Canizares behind them.

Game Plan

Jake has a good team but the midfield is a clear weak point when compared to mine. None of the top four are likely to help out defensively or get involved in a midfield battle leaving a 3 on 2 situation in my favour. Guardiola, Petit and Baraja will comfortably dominate and outpass Mascherano and Alonso. Petit has instructions to stick close to Alonso and allow him no space or time on the ball. All of Jake's front six are dependent on Alonso to supply them the ball but Petit cutting of the supply means they are likely to be starved of the ball.

I also have an advantage down my right flank. Not only is Lahm is better defensively than the marauding Roberto Carlos but McManaman does his bit defensively where as Robinho is a certified Prima Donna. THe right flank will create lots of chances for Romario.

Lastly in Romario we have a striker who's accelaration and speed is almost unmatched and he is almost impossible to mark. Jake as Puyol and Chivu in defense, both of whom have struggled against pace. Yes even Puyol, who can largely get away due to playing for Barcelona. With the likes of Hagi, Baraja, McManaman, Guardiola supplying him Romario is going to get plenty of chances.

Jake has a good frontline but ultimately I feel I have the better defense and midfield and with my tactics his front men are not going to have enough of the ball to cause me problems.

PLAYER PROFILES

Santiago Canizares
One of the best goalkeepers in the world at his peak, regarded by the Great Dane himself as the best keeper in the world when the likes of Kahn were also in their prime. A very reliable and complete goalkeeper who an excellent shot stopper and also good in the air when it needed to come out and deal with crosses as it is shown here. An absolute legend at Valencia and one of my personal favourites as well.

Philipp Lahm
Without a doubt the best fullback in the world for the last 4-5 odd years. Very comfortable on both flanks though he prefers to be on the right which is where he would be playing for us. An ever present fixture for both club and country, Lahm has proven to be an excellent all round fullback being extremely solid at the back while also being a dangerous threat going forward, which is proven by his performances in big games such as his 90th minute match winner in a Euro semi final against Turkey and also his excellent overlapping attacking play against Barcelona in a CL semi. A great leader while also a player who rarely has bad game, he also went on playing over 100 games for Bayern on the trot which show his immense fitness levels.

Fabio Cannavaro
Often talked as one of the very few defenders to win the Ballon D'or, Canna has enjoyed a highly successful career at both club and country level. Throughout his club life he has been one of the best defenders in Serie A, a league that boasted of names such as Maldini, Nesta, Thuram and Zanetti. For Italy, "Muro Di Berlino" gave what probably is one of if not the best performances by both a defender and captain in the 2006 World Cup where he steered Italy throughout the tournament with hardly a scare and did not put a single foot wrong, which earned him the prestigious Ballon D'or. An immense defender and a great presence in the air, with him in the team we can be sure of keeping most striker at bay.

Giorgio Chiellini
A stellar name in the modern day game, Chiellini is an established fixture for his club and country and is considered one of the best hard men in the world. A no nonsense player he has won the Serie A defender of the year award three times which is a great feat in itself.

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
A true attacking fullback, Gio was great in providing width in the great Barcelona team under Rijkaard and his role in attack can never go unnoticed, as shown by this magical goal . With 106 caps for the orange he's a proven name at every level.

Pep Guardiola
For me, one of the best deep lying playmakers of his generation, and a true genius in himself, Pep was as key as anyone else for Cruyff's dream team. A unique player, he's a great mix of strong defensive ability, great tactical reading of the game as well as unmatched skill on the ball that combined excellent vision and creativity to start one attack after another. Just look at his through balls and you will surely find it hard to find another player with similar brilliance. Him pinging balls from the back will be a huge asset for the team and would never let the attacking players get isolated.

Emmanuel Petit
An energetic and combative player, the Frenchman has proven himself in clubs like Monaco, Arsenal and Chelsea. At Arsenal he was a key player alongside Vieira in Wenger's early years when they steered the team to cup and league wins. At the same time Petit enjoyed a great time with the French National Team and was an integral part of the team that won the 1998 World Cup, also scoring in the final . He was known for his defensive ability, energy, stamina and mobility that allowed a great platform for attacking players.

Ruben Baraja
One of the most complete midfielders of his generation, Baraja is another Valencia legend that we have in our team. Spending a whole decade at the club, Baraja was a part of Valencia's golden years where they consistently challenged for the CL and the league while also winning the La Liga twice. As shown here , Baraja's skillset is very vast, with great energy, stamina, tenacity combined with excellent ability on the ball whether it came to passing or shooting. He'd complete the midfield trio.

Gheorghe Hagi
One of the best attacking midfielders in the world at his peak, Hagi made a name for himself as a versatile and talisman attacking player of his time and was a magnificent sight to watch. Having played for a host of clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona, he was a cracking little fella to have in the team. His fine performances lit up the 1994 World Cup when he destroyed a Fernando Redondo led Argentina . Brilliant skill, vision and creativity on the ball, his tricky nature makes it extremely hard for his marker to keep track of him and his ability to wriggle out of tight spaces and play a decisive pass was what made him really deadly.

Steve McManaman
Not a very popular figure, but McManaman was a really important player for Liverpool and Real Madrid in his peak. As the phrase went "Stop Macca, Stop Liverpool", it showed how he was the star player in the team, also often dubbed as a right sided twin of our very own Giggsy. Again a very versatile player who could play anywhere behind the striker, he was a great dribbler and a very neat passer. Bagged the man of the match award in the Champions League final as well.

Romario
One of the greatest goal scorers of all time, Romario's exploits are unfamiliar to none. Winning the Ballon D'or after leading Brazil to a World Cup victory in 1994, Romario has a claim to over 1000 goals while playing for many top clubs throughout his career. Like Pep, he was a vital part of the Barca dream team and he displayed great composure, skill and finishing to finish many chances created by his superstar teammates. An expert in beating his marker, he is virtually impossible to mark.
Team Akash

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
VS
Team Jake

First of all my compliments to akash who has put together an accomplished team, that will mean my players will have to work hard in order to live up to our tags as favorites.

Tactics

Goalkeeper Buffons job is to stop goals going in, nobody in the draft is as good as him as that. With the array of attacking talent available in the draft, I need somebody I can trust, and Buffon is that man.

Central defenders that evoke fear in their opponents and make them think twice before going to every ball. Both are monsters in the air, fearless in the tackle, and almost impossible to get away from. There experience and leadership will be key to my performances. Another thing you may have noticed is that both Puyol, and Chivu can play as fullbacks too. As a right back, and left back respectively. Now obviously this would be a flaw if they were fullbacks first, and central backs second, but it’s not the case. Both Puyol and Chivu play best as defenders, but having the versatility in my team means that if a fullback breaks forward in a counter attack, the respective defender can move into place while Xabi or Mascherano cover them, as they are naturally both adept at defending! They are both also famed for their technical skill, which will ensure no Stoke City style tactics which needlessly gives the ball away.

Moving onto my fullbacks. Their job is primarily to defend against wide threats, but when you look at the lads you know that they are dangerous going forward, especially Roberto. Who in my opinion is the greatest attacking fullback in history. His crosses are pinpoint, he’s lightning quick and has a thunderous left boot on him. Sagnol’s no slouch either, he has a very good eye for a pass, and the stamina to play effectively as a wingback without compromising his defensive responsibilities. I’ve chosen two attacking fullbacks, because the array of midfield talent means that I heavily invested in central attacking players instead of traditional wingers, so these two will provide some much needed width to the mix.

Now, this two man midfield screams chemistry, not only did they enjoy some stellar years together at Liverpool, but since moving on to bigger and better things, both have become some of the best midfielders in the game. Xabi Alonso defines the role ‘’deep lying playmaker’’ he just oozes class, composure, and intelligence. He can pick out a pass like nobody else in the draft, and never gets caught out of position when the opposition breaks. His positioning is so good he rarely has to break out of a slow jog. His partner is a monster. An absolute machine in the tackle that will commit, and will win the ball consistently. Mascherano doesn't score many goals, but he stops them by the truckload. He can act as a third center back when things get very tough, but shouldn't need to. He can sit back, and soak up any pressure that is put on me, and give simple balls to Xabi, who’s my main playmaker.

My two wider players aren't very similar, but for a good reason. They don’t need to be. Robinho is one of the best dribblers of the ball in the world, and when he gets going is literally unstoppable, his flair, skill, tricks, magic, whatever you want to call it, will entertain, will destroy defenders confidence, and most importantly produce results. He’s playing in front of the slightly more conservative fullback Sagnol to start, but can swap out to the left if needs me. Freddie, apart from being a magnificent looking son of a bitch, is one of the most intelligent players I’ve laid my eyes on. His runs make him impossible to mark, his lightning pace brilliant to watch, and his finishing very impressive. As he moves into channels dragging defenders out of position, you can only imagine the space it will open up for the likes of Messi, Cantona, and Robinho. Xabi will have a field day. Pun intended.

Getting upfront on to one of my more controversial picks, playing in behind my striker is Eric Cantona beside my forward in Lionel Messi. With some people claiming they're too similar and would get in each other's way. Something I think is just laughable. Cantona was a genius, a match winner, a leader, and most importantly delivered in the big occasions. I don't need to mention what Messi can do, but they can rotate around each other and I can't see any defenders being able to deal with them. I also don't think they are that similar. Cantona was much more physical, and better in the air. Whilst Messis’ acceleration makes him unplayable most of the time, they share flair, a lethal finish, and unrivalled technique, but as Sir Alex Ferguson said ‘’There’s always room for a great player.’’

So to sum up my tactics in a paragraph, my team is all about teamwork, positioning, possession, and technical ability. I've chosen players that want to win, players that evoke fear in their opponents, and players that win matches. I know that should go without saying, but a lot of the players I've seen on here aren't anything special, I believe as a team, my players are special. You'll also notice the versatility of all my players, so I can adjust into any sort of match my team will find themselves in. However, I think it's more likely that teams need to adjust to my team, then vice versa.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Akash and Aldo say "none of his top six are unlikely (likely??) to help out help out defensively". Is that a front 6 including Mascherano and Alonso?

I do agree that if Akash has any hope it will be by wrestling control of the midfield.

Chiellini is a weak link but he does have Cannavaro helping him, will that be enough against Messi and Cantona?

Fergus' son

Also, Roberto Carlos definitely isn't 'the best attacking fullback in history'.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Akash and Aldo say "none of his top six are unlikely (likely??) to help out help out defensively". Is that a front 6 including Mascherano and Alonso?

I do agree that if Akash has any hope it will be by wrestling control of the midfield.

Chiellini is a weak link but he does have Cannavaro helping him, will that be enough against Messi and Cantona?
Sorry it's mean to say "none of the top four are likely to help out defensively". Could you update it in the op theon?

TheGame

I don't think Chiellini is a weak link, I've seen him play numerous times and he's a top quality defender, pace, strength and good defensive abilities.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well it's a recent trend to underrate Chiellini, I can only assume it's based on the Confed cup but he's been fantastic for Juventus.

Also I'd like to put it out that Chiellini has the second most interceptions (34) behind Silva (35) in the champions league. He cuts out danger high up the pitch and and then lets the midfielders take it from here. And an absolute monster at heading the balls, sort of like Vidic

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
A weakness I've spotted is Akashes left back spot. Hagi won't track back much at all. Robinho and Sagnol can double up on Gio regularly.

kps88

You can say the same for Robinho. Hagi and Gio can double up on Sagnol.

JakeC

You can say the same for Robinho. Hagi and Gio can double up on Sagnol.

I'd fancy Robinho to work back a little more than Hagi mate. Plus I rate Sagnol a lot higher than Gio.

kps88

I might be missing something obvious here, but are there four non CL winners in your lineup?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'd fancy Robinho to work back a little more than Hagi mate. Plus I rate Sagnol a lot higher than Gio.
Robinho? Tracking back?? Nah, the chances of Hagi tracking back are higher.

Your left side is also a weakness. Ljungberg won't help out Roberto Carlos who's not the greatest of defenders anyway. I'd fancy McManaman to have plenty of space down your left hand side.

Fergus' son

Ljunberg was good at helping out defensively IMO, he had a great work rate and was an intelligent player.

Robinho on the other hand...

EDogen

Ljunberg was good at helping out defensively IMO, he had a great work rate and was an intelligent player.

Robinho on the other hand...
Yeah Ljungberg will help out a bit for sure. Smart player he was.

Will wait with my vote in this one, I think it should be quite close and will be about manager arguments.

Some short thoughts:

• Not sure about that Mascherano - Xabi midfield
  • Think akash got a more solid team
  • Messi of course a massive plus to have
  • I see Romario score in this game

Will have to wait and see..

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think there would be a fecking tonne of goals in this game

Agree with EDogen that Romario will get success out of Chivu and Puyol, and then you aren't keeping Jake's offensive players quiet - could be a 5 goal thriller on the cards here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surely Robinho left and Ljungberg right? Yeah, I get the fullbacks are different... but feck me sideways, has it got to the point that wingers are deployed on the basis of their defensive contribution relative to how attacking a fullback is? Jesus wept.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think there would be a fecking tonne of goals in this game

Agree with EDogen that Romario will get success out of Chivu and Puyol, and then you aren't keeping Jake's offensive players quiet - could be a 5 goal thriller on the cards here.
What does that mean? 10 goals?

Moby

Dick
I've voted so that it's easier to look at results.

Also, akash has an exam tomorrow so he won't be here much, and he has authorized me to take over the discussions.

Fergus' son

I've voted so that it's easier to look at results.

Also, akash has an exam tomorrow so he won't be here much, and he has authorized me to take over the discussions.
Be afraid jake, very afraid!

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Jakes gettin my vote.

Think there'll be goals and ultimately it'll come down to the 2 starmen, Messi v Romario. Messi is being ably assisted whereas Romario isn't. Still don't see the point in Guardiola in that formation. Akash should be 4-2-3-1 with Hagi behind the striker and a left winger brought in, then i would be probably struggling to seperate these 2.

Fergus' son

Jakes gettin my vote.

Think there'll be goals and ultimately it'll come down to the 2 starmen, Messi v Romario. Messi is being ably assisted whereas Romario isn't. Still don't see the point in Guardiola in that formation. Akash should be 4-2-3-1 with Hagi behind the striker and a left winger brought in, then i would be probably struggling to seperate these 2.
What's wrong with Guardiola in that position? Admittedly it would be better if he had a proper holding midfielder next to him but instead he has two all round midfielders who are known to be very able defensively.

Main problem I see with Akash team is there is a bit of a lack of creativity, only Hagi and Guardiola stand out as highest quality creators, probably Lahm too. Mcmannnaman, meh. Jake has Messi, Cantona, Robinho, Ljungberg and his quality full back, though there's something not quite right with his team too.

I agree Akash would've been better with 4231 but he would need someone who isn't Petit or Baraja to sit next to Guardiola and a winger so it wasn't that simple for them really.

Cutch

What's wrong with Guardiola in that position? Admittedly it would be better if he had a proper holding midfielder next to him but instead he has two all round midfielders who are known to be very able defensively.

Main problem I see with Akash team is there is a bit of a lack of creativity, only Hagi and Guardiola stand out as highest quality creators, probably Lahm too. Mcmannnaman, meh. Jake has Messi, Cantona, Robinho, Ljungberg and his quality full back, though there's something not quite right with his team too.

I agree Akash would've been better with 4231 but he would need someone who isn't Petit or Baraja to sit next to Guardiola and a winger so it wasn't that simple for them really.

You've answered your own question. Its overkill when theres 2 midfielders that can defend already there, and as you say its resulted in a lack of creativity infront of them. This side should be geared around getting the best out of the 2 geniuses Hagi and Romario. Hagi should be more central with the side built around him, and Romario isn't hard working enough to not have a player in close support or alongside.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've gone for Akash because:
  • Petit, Guardiola and Baraja will exert control of the centre of the park. Guardiola will likely pick up Cantona while Petit is well placed to pick up Robinho who is bound to cut inside and doesn't have the sheer directness to expose Van Bronckhorst's lack of top-end pace. Robinho's lack of industry will enable Van Bronckhorst to join the midfield and use his penetrative left peg.
  • Roberto Carlos runs forward - and yes he is a blistering attacking force - will be matched well by McManaman whose natural work rate will combine with the occasional help from Baraja and Lahm (who shouldn't have too many issues dealing with Ljungberg)
  • Puyol and Chivu might struggle to deal with Romario mainly because his qualities could expose their collective weaknesses.
In Jake's defence I do see some areas he'll impact the game:
  • Sagnol overlapping. Can't see Hagi grafting back too much, and this could leave Gio exposed.
  • Messi obviously the principal threat. But a World-Cup-2006 Cannavaro would give him a hell of a game. However, Messi drifting out on the right flank could expose Gio.

Fergus' son

You've answered your own question. Its overkill when theres 2 midfielders that can defend already there, and as you say its resulted in a lack of creativity infront of them. This side should be geared around getting the best out of the 2 geniuses Hagi and Romario. Hagi should be more central with the side built around him, and Romario isn't hard working enough to not have a player in close support or alongside.
So why pick on Guardiolas role rather than the other two?! The 'point of him' is obvious as he is providing creativity in team that we agree doesn't have much?

If your suggesting that it should be Baraja and Petit with another AM and not Guardiola then I completely disagree. Baraja and Petit is not a better duo than either of those with Guardiola, even if the team did possess a more creative and attacking midfielder alongside them.

Cutch

So why pick on Guardiolas role rather than the other two?! The 'point of him' is obvious as he is providing creativity in team that we agree doesn't have much?

If your suggesting that it should be Baraja and Petit with another AM and not Guardiola then I completely disagree. Baraja and Petit is not a better duo than either of those with Guardiola, even if the team did possess a more creative and attacking midfielder alongside them.

Sorry, i'm not saying Guardiola shouldn't be in that side, just that theres no need for all 3.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Can't resist butting in.

I don't see the lack of creativity Fergus'. And Steve McManaman as meh? McManaman has twice the number of premier league assists when compared to Ljungberg and was a very creative player both for Real Madrid and for Liverpool.

Baraja is another very creative player who can join in the attacks and set up goals as she did plenty of times for Valencia. Petit is the only non creative midfielder I have and he is tasked with looking after Alonso.

Fergus' son

Sorry, i'm not saying Guardiola shouldn't be in that side, just that theres no need for all 3.
Ah right.

I'm not sure they could've got away with Petit/Guardiola as the 2 against some of the opposition in this draft however.

Fergus' son

Can't resist butting in.

I don't see the lack of creativity Fergus'. And Steve McManaman as meh? McManaman has twice the number of premier league assists when compared to Ljungberg and was a very creative player both for Real Madrid and for Liverpool.

Baraja is another very creative player who can join in the attacks and set up goals as she did plenty of times for Valencia. Petit is the only non creative midfielder I have and he is tasked with looking after Alonso.

Fair points mate, still in the balance this one.

Fergus' son

Would have given akash a stronger chance of winning this game imo, but would have probably required upgrades as he progressed.
Yeah, I'm not sure. Gio has already intimated that the midfield control that those three are providing has contributed to him voting for Akash. Interesting tactic they opted for and it might just pay off!

JakeC

Don't see how this one is so close. It's the love fest for the 3 man compact midfield, Both Xabi and Mascherano would start alongside Pep in his midfield if he had them in my opinion.

You can't just say I won't have enough of the ball. Xabi keeps the ball better than anybody else on the pitch there, and look at the people he has to pass to. Mascherano and Xabi can both win the ball very well too. His front three is underwhelming at best too.

Cutch

Yeah, I'm not sure. Gio has already intimated that the midfield control that those three are providing has contributed to him voting for Akash. Interesting tactic they opted for and it might just pay off!
Suppose that's true actually. I'm a bit different where i'll generally vote for the 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Control of centre mids no good if you havnt the width, creativity or numbers upfront to win you the game