Redafe Champions League Draft - Akash v Jake

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What are you talking about!?!

You need to be clearer with the language you use, in the last game TheGame was 'weaker all over the pitch', despite having a better attack.

In this game Sagnol is the 'only place Jake will get joy', when he has Cantona and Messi on the pitch... mental.

Try and spin it...
That's the thing, I don't make wishy washy neither here nor there statements and that invariably gets people like you jumpy. Try see past the statement and the context of everything I'm saying.

Yes, EDogen was stronger all over the pitch. That was my view, I then explained where it could be contentious. He didn't have "the better attack" because the defensive setup he was facing was vastly superior. Same here, Messi is better than Romario but I fully expect Romario to shit on that defence more than Messi on akash's. Who is the better striker? Messi. Who is more likely to score here? Romario. What matters as far as explaining a vote? The latter.

Messi can create his own chances if he drops deep into Cantona territory and dribbles his way into the box or plays some one-twos with the Frenchman. Of course he can, but I don't expect that to represent an abnormal danger to what could be expected in any game that involves Messi. If anything akash is as well set up to contain that as he could hope for. The path of least resistance is clearly Sagnol bombing forward and him and Robinho doubling up on Gio, which necessarily drags Chiellini across and leaves Cannavaro no room for error handling Messi. I expect a goal to come from that a lot more than Messi dropping deep and spinning around and dribbling past Guardiola, Cannavaro, Chiellini and Cañizares. What's so hard to understand? What's mental about it? It's pretty fecking straightforward if you ask me.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Who is the better striker? Messi, comfortably. Who is more likely to score? Messi.

This team isn't built for Romario.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
That's the thing, I don't make wishy washy neither here nor there statements and that invariably gets people like you jumpy. Try see past the statement and the context of everything I'm saying.
This makes no sense.. Literally none.

What is a wishy washy niether here nor there statement, and why do they make me jumpy?

Yes, EDogen was stronger all over the pitch. That was my view, I then explained where it could be contentious. He didn't have "the better attack" because the defensive setup he was facing was vastly superior. Same here, Messi is better than Romario but I fully expect Romario to shit on that defence more than Messi on akash's. Who is the better striker? Messi. Who is more likely to score here? Romario. What matters as far as explaining a vote? The latter.

Messi can create his own chances if he drops deep into Cantona territory and dribbles his way into the box or plays some one-twos with the Frenchman. Of course he can, but I don't expect that to represent an abnormal danger to what could be expected in any game that involves Messi. If anything akash is as well set up to contain that as he could hope for. The path of least resistance is clearly Sagnol bombing forward and him and Robinho doubling up on Gio, which necessarily drags Chiellini across and leaves Cannavaro no room for error handling Messi. I expect a goal to come from that a lot more than Messi dropping deep and spinning around and dribbling past Guardiola, Cannavaro, Chiellini and Cañizares. What's so hard to understand? What's mental about it? It's pretty fecking straightforward if you ask me.
TheGame did have the better attack, Zidane linking up with Shevchenko is one of the strongest partnerships in the draft. Forget the defence each attack is facing, because that isn't what your statement appeared to be talking about. If it was then it was extremely unclear.

We know that you think Romario will score here and Messi won't, it's quite obvious to anyone reading the thread that you have linked up with Team Aldo again. You've made more arguments defending their team than Akash and Aldo combined, to the bizzare point where you try and devalue the potential impact of Messi and imply Jake is reliant on Willy fecking Sagnol to create an opening.

This just sums up the rubbish you are talking. You say in one post that the only joy Jake will get is from Sagnol overlapping, and all his eggs are in one basket,

I certainly can see jake getting some joy there, but it's the only place I can see him getting any, thus the all egggs in one basket comment.
But then in this current post you say this in response to my suggestion that Messi is a threat and capable of creating his own chances,

"Of course he can, but I don't expect that to represent an abnormal danger to what could be expected in any game that involves Messi."

So what? Now you are saying that Messi is as dangerous as he typically is in any game - but just not an 'abnormal amount'. You can see how this is completely ludicrous?

Messi's 'normal' level of danger is extremely high, so if you are accepting that he poses a typical level of threat (as Aldo did himself), then how the feck does that align itself with your earlier comment that Sagnol is the only possible joy for Jake creating chances?

Your initial argument was insane. Sagnol is not Jake's only threat or in any respect his most significant one. Jake hasn't utilised Messi in the best way, no doubt, but he is still the biggest matchwinner on the pitch and remains his most likely source of a goal or chance.

antohan

Jake did well with his flank combos I think, Chivu and Puyol being capable fullbacks themselves help a great deal.
Agree, I was quite impressed with how coherent it all was and then he goes and sticks Ljungberg on the right so he makes up for Carlos being too attacking. Completely bonkers. That's what I think he tried to do, I asked for confirmation, but none has been forthcoming several hours later.

I have actually waited to see whether and how the whole switching around of Messi, Cantona, etc. is executed but we are approaching half time and I'm starting to believe it will never happen, or it will be way too late.

antohan

Who is the better striker? Messi, comfortably. Who is more likely to score? Messi.

This team isn't built for Romario.
People seem to have decided Romario was lazy and couldn't be arsed, yet he won a World Cup being its best player. When did Messi do that?

Guardiola will play him on and Hagi is not far from the sort of contribution that could be expected from Laudrup. Romario will leave Puyol and Chivu on their arses all game, neither of them can live with his burst of pace. It's a shame there's no Stoichkov around, mind.

Fergus' son

People seem to have decided Romario was lazy and couldn't be arsed, yet he won a World Cup being its best player. When did Messi do that?

Guardiola will play him on and Hagi is not far from the sort of contribution that could be expected from Laudrup. Romario will leave Puyol and Chivu on their arses all game, neither of them can live with his burst of pace. It's a shame there's no Stoichkov around, mind.

Pretty shit argument mate, the world cup thing. I think you know it too.

When you going to put your vote in for Aldo then? You seem decided.

antohan

This makes no sense.. Literally none.

What is a wishy washy niether here nor there statement, and why do they make me jumpy?
Basically, I make assertions instead of faffing around throwing flowers at everyone. You seem to jump at anyone making assertions. Firstly, it's about opinion. Second, the assertion must be evaluated in context. I laid out my reasons very early on for where I could see most opportunities arising for jake. When I said that flank was where he would have the most joy I didn't feel it was necessary to say there were also other ways he could possibly carve up an opening, should I also go into corners, free kicks, long throws? I just established one was the most likely source of joy (i.e. openings to be exploited). The final goalscorer would most likely be Messi obviously, no need to post youtube clips to remind me he can score goals.

TheGame did have the better attack, Zidane linking up with Shevchenko is one of the strongest partnerships in the draft. Forget the defence each attack is facing, because that isn't what your statement appeared to be talking about. If it was then it was extremely unclear.
It wasn't unclear, you just interpret things differently to me. Was there anywhere on the pitch where The Game would prevail over the oppo? No, not really. Comparing Shevchenko to van Persie was completely irrelevant as neither of them have much bearing over how likely they were to score.

We know that you think Romario will score here and Messi won't
Where did I say that? I even said precisely how the joy from that Sagnol doubling up would be that it would pull Chiellini out to deal with him or Robinho and leave Cannavaro with no room for error handling Messi. How does that translate to me not thinking Messi will score? I only said Messi was MORE likely to score that way than dropping back and doing the sort of solo run you described. He may, as he has it in him, but at best he may score one that way, while if they get too much joy on that right flank he could score 2-3.

it's quite obvious to anyone reading the thread that you have linked up with Team Aldo again. You've made more arguments defending their team than Akash and Aldo combined, to the bizzare point where you try and devalue the potential impact of Messi and imply Jake is reliant on Willy fecking Sagnol to create an opening.
Are you stupid or what? I'm not devaluing Messi, and even if I tried I would fail miserably. If anything, I'm raising a Willy fecking Sagnol statue, which should serve jake right. Go look at the write ups, it's pretty obvious akash/Aldo flip-flopped their way around explaining precisely how that left flank of theirs would work because they knew it would be their main source of grief.

The only reason I've spent more time writing about akash's side is that it has the more complex/demanding tactics and those teams need to be discussed and clarified. Fergus clearly hadn't understood how they intended to use Hagi. Of course, there is the known fact that I was a huge Dream Team and Guardiola -the player- fanboi so I can see how a lot of those things make sense and could be pulled off.

So what? Now you are saying that Messi is as dangerous as he typically is in any game - just not an 'abnormal amount'. You can see how this is completely ludicrous?
I'm saying I don't expect more than the single goal being created by Messi creating his own chances and I don't in any way shape or form think this is a game that will be settled by the single goal. The winner of this game needs to score 3, maybe 4 goals and the only way jake will score that many is ripping into that flank.

The only reason I haven't voted yet is because I'm waiting to see whether jake does something to that end.

Your initial argument was insane, Sagnol is not Jake's only threat or his most significant one.
You really are dense. For one last time, I'm not saying Sagnol is Pelé and Maradona combined. I'm saying that flank with Sagnol and Robinho doubling up on van Bronckhorst is the path of least resistance which could open the floodgates. Path of least resistance, not Sagnol will be the matchwinner, not that he will score, that that is the route to multiple goals, most likely Messi goals.

It really isn't that fecking hard.

antohan

Pretty shit argument mate, the world cup thing. I think you know it too.
If you can't see how easily Romario could destroy that CB pair then you know nothing about Romario so all I have left is cheap shots as I can't expect to get across what you could only understand through watching him regularly, week in week out.

When you going to put your vote in for Aldo then? You seem decided.
See above, I'm not decided at all, it's just you two who seem to have decided I've made up my mind and don't rate Messi because your reading comprehension is non existent.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I genuinely didnt know we could get Messi when I voted(and still dont know how it works!).

I voted akash because:

1) Messi isnt used right imo, and he and Cantona will probably get in each others way.
2) Ljungberg and Robinho on wrong wings
3) Akash would probably dominate possession, which is a personal preference of mine. I like to see teams that can dominate midfield. Though saying that, I also like to see a United type set up, but I'm not quite sure if Jake has achieved that. Robinho wouldnt work on the right in a 4411 imo, and if you put Robinho and Ljungberg in their best positions(wide in a front three), you need a player that can play deeper than Cantona to help in midfield.

I think if Jake had've went with:

Robinho-Messi-XXXX
Alonso-YYYY
Mascherano

For example, he wouldve looked great. Busquets was even available when he chose Alonso, which wouldve been a great pick for the above formation. As it is though, I feel Akash's team is better rounded, but it obviously wouldve been almighty close, as shown in the scores.

Fergus' son

If you can't see how easily Romario could destroy that CB pair then you know nothing about Romario so all I have left is cheap shots as I can't expect to get across what you could only understand through watching him regularly, week in week out.

See above, I'm not decided at all, it's just you two who seem to have decided I've made up my mind and don't rate Messi because your reading comprehension is non existent.

Bloody hell, you really are fighting thier corner aren't you?! Give it a rest, not really fair on Jake you going on and on and on. This draft has been quite pleasant on the whole, apart from you now adding your unpleasantries. I'v seen Romario plenty of times, there's people in this thread who even agree with me that this isn't the best set up for him, that's all that was said. You don't have to resort to 'cheap shots' in retaliation to that, it's not even your team. Aldo is plenty capabale of making these points on behalf of Akash.

Fergus' son

I genuinely didnt know we could get Messi when I voted(and still dont know how it works!).

I voted akash because:

1) Messi isnt used right imo, and he and Cantona will probably get in each others way.
2) Ljungberg and Robinho on wrong wings
3) Akash would probably dominate possession, which is a personal preference of mine. I like to see teams that can dominate midfield. Though saying that, I also like to see a United type set up, but I'm not quite sure if Jake has achieved that. Robinho wouldnt work on the right in a 4411 imo, and if you put Robinho and Ljungberg in their best positions(wide in a front three), you need a player that can play deeper than Cantona to help in midfield.

I think if Jake had've went with:

Robinho-Messi-XXXX
Alonso-YYYY
Mascherano

For example, he wouldve looked great. Busquets was even available when he chose Alonso, which wouldve been a great pick for the above formation. As it is though, I feel Akash's team is better rounded, but it obviously wouldve been almighty close, as shown in the scores.

Yeah, I wasn't really buying suggestions of tactical voting anyway. Seems like so far more people prefer akash's team anyway so it shouldn't surprise anyone that you or NM do too.

Skorenzy

IMO both offenses are poorly constructed, but for me Akash wins hands down on the foundations of that backline (even with Van Bronckhorst in there) and a highly energetic, all-round midfield trio.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You need to cool it with the insults antohan, that isn't what anybody wants to read. So chill out and stop the name calling.

Amidst the rambling over how stupid and dense I am for disagreeing with you, these three quotes sum up the problem with your argument.

Your initial post that I disagreed with said this,

It wouldn't be Robinho that worries me but Sagnol doubling up, which he will. I certainly can see jake getting some joy there, but it's the only place I can see him getting any, thus the all egggs in one basket comment.
So your exact words were that all Jake's hopes were on Sagnol. This seems mental.

When I questioned that and highlighed Messi, you changed your tune and started saying that your Willy Sagnol comment only referred to creating chances but not scoring them. But Messi creates his own chances, which you have now accepted - which directly contradicts your initial statement. His eggs are not all in one basket like you claimed.

But these two statements especially are just direct contradictions to what you initially said, and what you have refused to stop defending.

I'm saying I don't expect more than the single goal being created by Messi creating his own chances and I don't in any way shape or form think this is a game that will be settled by the single goal.
You really are dense. For one last time, I'm not saying Sagnol is Pelé and Maradona combined. I'm saying that flank with Sagnol and Robinho doubling up on van Bronckhorst is the path of least resistance which could open the floodgates. Path of least resistance, not Sagnol will be the matchwinner, not that he will score, that that is the route to multiple goals, most likely Messi goals.

It really isn't that fecking hard.
1) How the hell are we supposed to read your initial comment saying "the only joy Jake will get is Willy Sagnol", as meaning that Messi will only create a single goal? It is mental, nobody could read your post and think that is what you meant. You didn't even mention Messi, let alone say that you could see him creating a goal - all you said was that all his eggs rest on Willy Sagnol. Therefore indirectly completely dismissing Messi, which is ridiculous.

2) Likewise here, you didn't mention the "path of least resistance". Your initial post didn't come with that caveat, where you acknowledged the threat of Messi and Cantona (which is huge, whatever way you want to spin it), you just dismissed it. If you can't see the difference between these two arguments then it's you who is blatantly dense.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Messi and Cantona won't work together. Absolute bollox.

I do have the better team.

Why wouldn't they work together?

JakeC

I'm actually a bit disheartened. How somebody can look at a team like mine and say there's no chemistry. Why wouldn't a midfield of Masch and Xabi work? Why would they get in each others way up front? What's wrong with my defence? It's bollox really. A few people really fighting akashes corner when in the thread they said my team was clearly stronger.

Fergus' son

Messi and Cantona won't work together. Absolute bollox.

I do have the better team.

Why wouldn't they work together?
Cantona would be fine IMO, Messi would be more restricted than we are used to seeing though and that probably affecting the voting.

It's a odd thing in these drafts, you'll get criticised for playing a player out of position, even if he will still be better there than any realistic replacements. Bit like Gallas for Cutch or Villa for me, they probably were the best options for the position they were picked in (despite it not being thier strongest position) but people find it strange and may penalise you for it. As it is, in your team, I think Messi would be far better than even RVP in your set up, yet if you had RVP instead of him you may have won more votes because it seems a more natural fit.

Overall though, all the different types of voters probably balance themselves out. You probably have won just as many votes from people simply voting because they love Cantona and Messi, as you have lost from people being put out by Messi being slightly restricted.

JakeC

Messi being restricted? That makes me laugh a little bit.

The guy is the best of all time, Cantona wont stop that.

Fergus' son

Messi being restricted? That makes me laugh a little bit.

The guy is the best of all time, Cantona wont stop that.
Don't bowl us over with such overly technical points, mate.

;)

JakeC

You don't need to be overly technical. Messi is an amazing player, and would quite simply be the focal point of the game.

Aboutreika18

Regarding Fortitude's Romario posts, I'm sure he could strike up a good partnership with Hagi.

How did Barcelona use to line up in terms of formation when Stoichkov and Romario played alongside each other?

antohan

Bloody hell, you really are fighting thier corner aren't you?! Give it a rest, not really fair on Jake you going on and on and on. This draft has been quite pleasant on the whole, apart from you now adding your unpleasantries. I'v seen Romario plenty of times, there's people in this thread who even agree with me that this isn't the best set up for him, that's all that was said. You don't have to resort to 'cheap shots' in retaliation to that, it's not even your team. Aldo is plenty capabale of making these points on behalf of Akash.
I see the arguments re: Romario, I was probably the very first one to highlight that when saying having Romario and Guardiola in a three was what got akash in a pickle in the first place. Why? Not because he is "lazy" but because he lacks the discipline to lead the line all by himself for 90 minutes. That's precisely why it was relevant to establish what Hagi's role was.

You are overdoing the whole thing though. Romario would get 5 yards on Puyol or Chivu before they have even turned. It is actually Hagi that I think akash needs to get shot of for the next round.

Moby

Dick
Hagi's role as a wide attacking midfielder shouldn't be questioned at all IMO. That's what he's done throughout his career and would be a perfect fit in this formation.

antohan

You need to cool it with the insults antohan, that isn't what anybody wants to read. So chill out and stop the name calling.
It's simple, I can never say anything without you and Fergus jumping and feasting and high fiving each other on it. Now even suggesting I have an agenda. When have I been jumping on you two saying your views are rubbish? Your views are yours.

So your exact words were that all Jake's hopes were on Sagnol. This seems mental.

When I questioned that and highlighed Messi, you changed your tune and started saying that your Willy Sagnol comment only referred to creating chances but not scoring them. But Messi creates his own chances, which you have now accepted - which directly contradicts your initial statement. His eggs are not all in one basket like you claimed.

But these two statements especially are just direct contradictions to what you initially said, and what you have refused to stop defending.
You keep reading what you want. I spelt it out for you last time and I think it was even you saying this would have a tonne of goals. ONE SINGLE GOAL WON'T WIN THIS GAME so I am looking for a source of MANY goals and can only see that coming for jake through exploiting that right flank, thus I worry he may have all his eggs in one basket. I never said he couldn't score in other ways. I never said Sagnol would score goals and not Messi. I SAID FOR JAKE TO WIN THIS GAME HE IS HUGELY RELIANT ON THAT SAGNOL/ROBINHO DOUBLING UP DELIVERING CONTINUOUS BREAKTHROUGHS ALL GAME LONG.

I didn't say it in as many words because I never imagined someone could be daft enough to think I was implying Sagnol would be getting all the goals.

1) How the hell are we supposed to read your initial comment saying "the only joy Jake will get is Willy Sagnol", as meaning that Messi will only create a single goal? It is mental, nobody could read your post and think that is what you meant. You didn't even mention Messi, let alone say that you could see him creating a goal - all you said was that all his eggs rest on Willy Sagnol. Therefore indirectly completely dismissing Messi, which is ridiculous.

2) Likewise here, you didn't mention the "path of least resistance". Your initial post didn't come with that caveat, where you acknowledged the threat of Messi and Cantona (which is huge, whatever way you want to spin it), you just dismissed it. If you can't see the difference between these two arguments then it's you who is blatantly dense.
More of the same shite, then people say I write too much.

I tried to keep it as simple as: source of joy is Sagnol doubling up on Gio. I didn't think it was necessary to spell out that to double up there needs to be a second player and that the player in this case is Robinho and that the one pulled out is Chiellini and that this will likely present Messi with many goalscoring opportunities. It may as well be Cantona arriving late, who knows. There are other sources of goals, do I need to say Guardiola could score from a free kick? Why not Cantona? May, may not, but 3-4 goals will only come from one constant source of openings.

The point is the trigger is Sagnol and Robinho on Gio, everything else is spoonfeeding you.

The reason I kept emphasising it was that I agreed with (our) Gio that Messi on that flank could break the camels' back altogether.

feck it, I'm going to bed now so I will leave my vote then as that hasn't been looked into anyway.

antohan

I'm actually a bit disheartened. How somebody can look at a team like mine and say there's no chemistry. Why wouldn't a midfield of Masch and Xabi work? Why would they get in each others way up front? What's wrong with my defence? It's bollox really. A few people really fighting akashes corner when in the thread they said my team was clearly stronger.
I don't think Cantona/Messi nullify each other. I do think Cantona will struggle to make an impact though and that you are not exercising midfield control.

I thought you would walk this though, primaril through the flanks. I'm staggered at the winger swap TBH, think it has played into akash's hands for the entire first half.

I think your best chance of turning this around is sending Messi to the right, pushing Eric up and picking whichever of Robinho or Ljungberg you want to be somewhat ineffective in the middle.

I'd suggest Robinho left and going for the gut and asking Ljungberg to do a workmanlike role in the middle, but anyone watching your teamsheet will think it's bonkers and most won't read up and find out the logic behind it.

antohan

Hagi's role as a wide attacking midfielder shouldn't be questioned at all IMO. That's what he's done throughout his career and would be a perfect fit in this formation.
Not his ability to perform the role, the attitude. There is an inherent selfishness in partnering Romario and Hagi which you have made up for with very selfless players elsewhere. Technically Hagi can do the Laudrup role, in practice though that pair would never deliver at the same level because Hagi will not play for the team the way Laudrup did.

Fergus' son

It's simple, I can never say anything without you and Fergus jumping and feasting and high fiving each other on it. Now even suggesting I have an agenda. When have I been jumping on you two saying your views are rubbish? Your views are yours.
What a load of shit, all I said is that I think Messi is more likely to score than Romario, because I don't think the set up is ideal for him. You then make a shit point about Romario winning the WC, I call you up on it and all of a sudden your crying that I'm picking on your posts? You're not right. Keep me out of our squabbles with other posters, and try growing up at some point.

We were having a nice, amicable discussion before your "cheap shot". Why you chose to make it, feck knows, but don't act like an ass just because I pointed out how rubbish a point it was. And you know it was rubbish.

What other opinions have I not allowed you to have?

antohan

Regarding Fortitude's Romario posts, I'm sure he could strike up a good partnership with Hagi.

How did Barcelona use to line up in terms of formation when Stoichkov and Romario played alongside each other?
For a side called "The Dream Team" you would expect a pretty set formation that rolls off your tongue, as with Milan's back four...

But no, it wasn't, that's what happens with Cruyff, total football and Barcelona having loads of players who could and would happily play in several roles.

Another major factor was the foreigner rule. You couldn't have Koeman, Stoichkov, Laudrup and Romario all on the pitch at the same time, which called for some constant rejigging.

The only given was Zubizarreta in goal and Ferrer RB and Sergi LB, although sometimes at the opposite ends of a back three...

Koeman usually played, always when Cruyff wanted it to be a three. Other times he was partnered, usually by Nadal but there were a few others whose names escape me.

Guardiola always started in midfield, either as part of a two, as the pivot in a three or a diamond. Bakero was usually one of the midfield partners, although he at times wound up playing winger. Amor also featured there.

Then you had a choice of Stoichkov, Berguiristain and Eusebio usually playing on either flank. Stoichkov effectively played left wing, right wing, inside, or in a pair upfront. He was the more utility-like out of the foreigners. Laudrup usually played through the middle in the diamonds, but sometimes had inside roles or would be playing in the midfield three where Baraja is now.

Upfront it used to be Salinas before Romario's arrival.

It is fair to say with so many attacking players around, Romario was never isolated, whether in a front two or not.

For an average game and not against top quality rivals my ideal lineup would be:

--------------Zubizarreta
---Ferrer-----Koeman------Sergi
---------------Guardiola
--------Laudrup-----Bakero
Eusebio--------------------Berguiristain
---------Stoichkov--Romario

But that obviously never lined up unfortunately :(

antohan

What a load of shit, all I said is that I think Messi is more likely to score than Romario, because I don't think the set up is ideal for him. You then make a shit point about Romario winning the WC, I call you up on it and all of a sudden your crying that I'm picking on your posts? You're not right. Keep me out of our squabbles with other posters, and try growing up at some point.

We were having a nice, amicable discussion before your "cheap shot". Why you chose to make it, feck knows, but don't act like an ass just because I pointed out how rubbish a point it was. And you know it was rubbish.

What other opinions have I not allowed you to have?
You are largely fine mate, it's more Theon being an arse and you jumping on that bandwagon and starting to have a go after I pointed out Romario was being underrated.

Yes, pointing out his WC and Golden Ball relative to Messi's WC record was a low blow, but not something to get so worked up about. It's not like Messi's lack of a half decent international record (or one outside the Barca setup) has never been brought up before.

I do think Romario has the better of the CB pair on him much more easily than Messi. It's not a slight on Messi, it's just relative strengths and weaknesses of two sets of three players and Romario comes up trumps in my book.

Fergus' son

You are largely fine mate, it's more Theon being an arse and you jumping on that bandwagon and starting to have a go after I pointed out Romario was being underrated.

Yes, pointing out his WC and Golden Ball relative to Messi's WC record was a low blow, but not something to get so worked up about. It's not like Messi's lack of a half decent international record (or one outside the Barca setup) has never been brought up before.

I do think Romario has the better of the CB pair on him much more easily than Messi. It's not a slight on Messi, it's just relative strengths and weaknesses of two sets of three players and Romario comes up trumps in my book.
You are giving me a headache but out of me an you, it's you that's getting worked up, not me.

I haven't jumped on any bandwagon, I just disagreed with your view on Romario. You know my thoughts on you long before today, and you certainly haven't done anything to change those!

NM

Would be interestin to hear BD and NM's reasons for voting akash given that a Jake loss would mean they can get Messi!

The feck? If people actually vote because of that, they live sad lives. When I voted Akash, I think he was down a fair amount too (could be wrong?). I'm surprised to see him winning now. Also think Jake C could/should have changed it a bit. I voted Akash because I genuinely think he would win this game.

kps88

When I saw this thread had reached four pages, I thought "antohan must have got going".

sajeev

i think the problem for Jake is his midfield. I know it "worked" for Liverpool but Mascherano isn't someone I rate, so the mid-field is quite weak for a game of this level. Will wait to see if any changes are made before voting.

EDogen

Still close, let us see if something happens in the final part of the game..

antohan

Donaldo, you mentalist... Snow and Cutch are going to be really sore about this sort of voting handing Messi on a plate to their first round nemesis.

It could be worse, he could pick their very own Ashley Cole... That would be good WUMming.

antohan

jake, you are only three votes down but you won't make up the gap if this thread is inactive.

Where are you?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
:) Come now, anto, you know the scars from my first time ensure I'm just and fair about any voting henceforth.