Redafe Champions League Draft - Akash v Jake

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sajeev

is jake not going to use a substitution to turn it around?

kps88

He'll bring Tiago on and the votes will come flooding in.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:) Come now, anto, you know the scars from my first time ensure I'm just and fair about any voting henceforth.
I know you are joking, just winding up Snow and Cutch. Doubt they care, but anything is fair cop to keep this active.

BTW, I see jake actually made a tactical change and told no one. fecking hell!

He now swapped Puyol and Chivu :lol::lol::lol:

What's wrong with your lefts and rights jake?

antohan

For the record, I spent all of yesterday waiting for a view on Gio's suggestion. I reckon Messi out right would win this. One flaw in this game is that making such a switch would likely lose you votes just because the teamsheet looks horrendous.

Messi-----------------------Ljungberg
--------Cantona-Robinho

That would require people understanding Ljungberg on the left was logical anyway because of his workrate :houllier:, everyone would wonder how the feck Robinho ended up as Eric's partner, Messi is out of position and misused...

In a game where jake has little chance of making things happen through a well guarded middle of the park, that would actually make a lot of sense though.

Even a comment from jake on the entire situation indicating Messi would interchange with Robinho to overload...

But nope, nothing. :(

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Akash through!

Great number of voters so thanks to everyone for voting!

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Donaldo, you mentalist... Snow and Cutch are going to be really sore about this sort of voting handing Messi on a plate to their first round nemesis.

It could be worse, he could pick their very own Ashley Cole... That would be good WUMming.

I'm not even sure if I want Messi!

Also, I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I picked Cole first, Maldinis available!!

Moby

Dick
Woah, have to say I wasn't expecting much from this game given the star power of Messi and Cantona but great result this. Even most of the other managers predicted Jake comfortably going through in the main thread, so surely this is a bit surprising!

Fergus' son

Of course! You jammy feck... Some serious quality coming your way soon.
:D

I think NM would take Messi if he gets past theon, in a way I wouldn't mind because it takes away the 'hassle' of fitting him and I could get either Ronaldinho or Zidane who could slot in a lot easier. Either way, I got good options but that said I think everyone will be able to significantly improve.

Do thegame and Jake go to show that it's not always best to pick first, or did they go wrong somewhere? Even looking at kp88s team, he has a hard game vs isotope that will be hard to call..

antohan

Woah, have to say I wasn't expecting much from this game given the star power of Messi and Cantona but great result this. Even most of the other managers predicted Jake comfortably going through in the main thread, so surely this is a bit surprising!
I expected him to go through, absolutely. No idea what he was thinking swapping Robinho and Ljungberg, he also depicted Cantona and Messi too far up and in no man's land (yes, I do think aesthetics have an impact somehow).

Ultimately, flying under the radar as a manager is never a good idea. I think there were people like EDogen and sajeev out there waiting for his views before making up their minds, but he just never showed up.

Fergus' son

Yeah, I thought Jake had the better team but the better management came from Aldo by a distance. Actually made good points, Jake just came in and had a little moan and then left, doubt that went down very well.

Well done Akash and Aldo, great victory being the initial underdogs.

antohan

I think NM would take Messi if he gets past theon, in a way I wouldn't mind because it takes away the 'hassle' of fitting him and I could get either Ronaldinho or Zidane who could slot in a lot easier. Either way, I got good options but that said I think everyone will be able to significantly improve.
I had completely forgotten about Ronaldinho! He would be awesome in your side. Out of him and Zidane I would take him as he grants you a lot more flexibility.

Agree most teams will improve dramatically and it doesn't make a huge difference you picking first as effectively every side that has gone out has first and second round picks which could be a real shot up the arm to anyone. Those who were closest to the top may get the poorer 1st picks but they get two picks close together.

I loved getting Beckenbauer in the All-time one, he slotted in perfectly in Effenberg's slot, but I had to watch on hoping Ronaldo would slip, or at least Romario... seeing as everyone seemed to have key Brazilians already. Nope :annoyed:

Do thegame and Jake go to show that it's not always best to pick first, or did they go wrong somewhere? Even looking at kp88s team, he has a hard game vs isotope that will be hard to call..
I've always said the best place is somehwere around the middle. 5th in 8 team drafts and 7th-10th in 16 team ones.

They should have picked Ronaldo as well, but I've said that before. The game probably also went wrong in the defensive trio. Not Jake, who was unlucky to have a good defence facing possibly the worst striker they could come across given relative strengths/weaknesses.

TheGame

It wasn't unclear, you just interpret things differently to me. Was there anywhere on the pitch where The Game would prevail over the oppo? No, not really. Comparing Shevchenko to van Persie was completely irrelevant as neither of them have much bearing over how likely they were to score.
I don't mean to bring back my match in this thread but how can you say Zidane is not better in his area than Deco for example? I could point out others but I'm not going to start going into my match again.

Fergus' son

I had completely forgotten about Ronaldinho! He would be awesome in your side. Out of him and Zidane I would take him as he grants you a lot more flexibility.

Agree most teams will improve dramatically and it doesn't make a huge difference you picking first as effectively every side that has gone out has first and second round picks which could be a real shot up the arm to anyone. Those who were closest to the top may get the poorer 1st picks but they get two picks close together.

I loved getting Beckenbauer in the All-time one, he slotted in perfectly in Effenberg's slot, but I had to watch on hoping Ronaldo would slip, or at least Romario... seeing as everyone seemed to have key Brazilians already. Nope :annoyed:

I've always said the best place is somehwere around the middle. 5th in 8 team drafts and 7th-10th in 16 team ones.

They should have picked Ronaldo as well, but I've said that before. The game probably also went wrong in the defensive trio. Not Jake, who was unlucky to have a good defence facing possibly the worst striker they could come across given relative strengths/weaknesses.
Yeah, you do get some random picks happen in the second drafting process, people completely changing thier team to try and fit in thier favourite player. First round games are nearly done so I'll probably have a go at predicting how the picks will go a bit later and make my decision based on that, but it's bound to go wrong!

antohan

Nah i don't care what happens from here on in, its great being impartial
I know man, just trying to keep discussion fronts open so that it isn't just me bumping the thread for people to come and vote :D

antohan

I don't mean to bring back my match in this thread but how can you say Zidane is not better in his area than Deco for example? I could point out others but I'm not going to start going into my match again.
Zidane is a better player than Deco obviously but, as I said, I don't go around comparing like-for-like (e.g. who has the better RB? who cares? the relevance is a result of who they face on their respective flanks).

The relevant comparison to me was the midfield unit composed of Simeone-Luis Enrique-Deco vs. Cocu-Seedorf-Zidane. Yours was more creative, but the other one would shackle you. I also pointed out the problem was more to do with the lack of a Davids/Gattuso alongside Seedorf and Cocu/Pirlo...

Your side was pretty much a case of "can the oppo nullify the creativity in that midfield?" and the answer was yes. EDogen didn't have as much creativity there but he would have control, and he was banking on Giggs and Robben providing the breakthroughs, not Deco.

I did point out in that post Zidane could have some moments of magic, but that I didn't think that would be enough against a side that looked more robust and in control across the board (and of course, Giggs could always go on a magical run himself ;)).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Just logged in and well done Aldo!:D

When the fixture was drawn up midfield and Chivu was the area I planned on targeting, so sweet to see that particular work. I am surprised people had problems with Hagi's position. I thought the formation, if not the write up made it abundantly clear that he was not playing as a wide man and had freedom to drift inwards.

Was worried about Gio's side being targeted. Surprised Jake didn't target that particular weakness

NM

In the all time draft, people who were in the top half won in round 1.. It is about team construction. Also, I have a different name (Not Messi) that I want in case I win, but might take him as he is a vote getter. Theon should 100% take him if he wins though. Messi and Iniesta will win him the draft.

Fergus' son

In the all time draft, people who were in the top half won in round 1.. It is about team construction. Also, I have a different name (Not Messi) that I want in case I win, but might take him as he is a vote getter. Theon should 100% take him if he wins though. Messi and Iniesta will win him the draft.
Must be Zidane or Ronaldinho?

NM

Must be Zidane or Ronaldinho?
I am considering Ronnie. A Ronnie and Figo wing combo would be jizzworthy IMO. Add another top CM and I think I'd go far.. But that depends. Theon has a top team too.

Fergus' son

I am considering Ronnie. A Ronnie and Figo wing combo would be jizzworthy IMO. Add another top CM and I think I'd go far.. But that depends. Theon has a top team too.

Messi, Figo wouldn't be bad either!

But yeah, you've got a difficult game to get through first. Feeling confident?

NM

Messi, Figo wouldn't be bad either!

But yeah, you've got a difficult game to get through first. Feeling confident?

Will be a close game. Don't want to argue my case here.. But as long as the caf's midfield fetish is satisfied, I'm confident. Either way, I reckon whichever of us wins it, has a good chance of winning it all. especially Theon due to Messi-Iniesta

antohan

You just lost Fergus' vote right there :lol:

Kidding

antohan

You are doing a good job of getting everyone worried about Theon once he nabs Messi :keano:

NM

You are doing a good job of getting everyone worried about Theon once he nabs Messi :keano:

They should be.. Any combination of the Barca team makes the caf swoon. Same with a powerful midfield. Some people look at what we (United) don't have, and long for it.

Fergus' son

:lol:

I will still probably take Messi. Is it illegal to buy Fergus' vote by ensuring a certain player will fall to him :lol:

:lol:

I vote impartially mate. You going out does give me first choice of picks though so you'de better argue well!