Redafe Champions League Draft - kps v Isotope

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Tactics and Gameplan:

Defence: There is an abundance of strength and aggression in this back four. The Kohler-Costacurta partnership is one of the strongest pairings in the draft and, in Salgado and Heinze, I have two full backs whose primary strengths are actually defending. The two fullbacks are also known for their stamina and great engines, so you can expect them to run up and down their respective flanks all day. No soft targets here - all four had supreme mental strength, stamina and aggression and will take some getting past.

Midfield: Davids and Cambiasso form the base of an energetic, hard working midfield. Their tireless running, energy and tackling will be more than enough to compensate for Riquelme, who isn’t as hard working and free him up to influence things further up the pitch.

Davids will play a classic box to box role and will contribute going forward as well. Cambiasso will have a more disciplined role to compliment Davids’ dynamism. They will establish midfield control and provide a base from which Riquelme can influence the game and exhibit his passing range.

Wingers: If things start to get too tight in midfield, this team has the luxury of two blisteringly quick wingers on either flank. Both are capable of beating their full back 1 v 1, or using their pace to race onto a ball played over the top. Gonzalez will whip in his signature left footed crosses for Vieri or Ronaldo to head home.

Ronaldo will be given the license to try and influence on the game and won’t stop until he succeeds. He will take on his fullback with trickery or pace to get a cross in, cut inside for a shot on goal, drift infield, take on his centre back, get inside the box for a cross from the left etc. It’s almost guaranteed one of these methods will bring him success and goals.

Striker: Vieri offers the irresistible combination of power, pace and clinical finishing. His unmatched heading ability will be made use of by the wide men as well as Riquelme’s set pieces. Again, if things get too crowded in midfield, he is an excellent outlet to have as a target man to lump it forward to. He will use his tank like strength hold up the ball well, win headers and bring the wide men into play.

Super Sub: Not much needs to be said about the baby faced assassin. He is waiting on the bench to change things up if a goal is needed.

PLAYER PROFILES

Angelo Peruzzi: Three time Serie A Goalkeeper of the season and part of a very successful Juventus side in the 90s. Has three league titles to his name and helped his side reach 3 CL finals, winning one of them.

Michel Salgado: 2 time CL winner and a bit of a nutter. He was tough, aggressive and not to be messed with. Had a great engine on him; will run up and down the right flank all day.

Jurgen Kohler: One of the greatest man markers of all time. Has won league titles with Bayern, Juventus and Dortmund. Also has a CL and World Cup medal to his name. He was strong as an ox and unbeatable in the air. Think Vidic on steroids.

Allesandro Costacurta: Part of the legendary Milan back four of the 90s. Billy has more than 450 caps for Milan and has won everything there is to win with them, including 7 league titles and 5 CLs.

Gabriel Heinze: A great defender at his peak. Was a cracking tackler, tireless and hard as nails.

Edgar Davids: A beast of a midfielder. Was named in the Euro 2000 and WC 98 all star teams. Will bring power, energy and drive to the midfield.

Esteban Cambiasso: Has the honour of being the most decorated Argentinean footballer ever. Influential, hard working and perceptive, but also well capable of picking out a quality pass.

Juan Roman Riquelme: Supremely gifted playmaker, capable of effortlessly drifting across the pitch and running the game.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Not much needs to be said. Goal scoring machine, capable of doing it all.

Kily Gonzalez: Part of the great Valencia side of the early 2000s. Lightening quick and a great crosser of the ball.

Christian Vieri: Built like an ox. At his peak, Bobo had pace and power and was almost unplayable. He holds the record for most headed goals scored in Serie A history.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Sub): Super Sub. Can be the difference between a draw and a win.

Team kps

VS
Team Isotope
Sub - Valeron on​

DEFENSE

Jens LEHMANN, this Germany NT goalkeeper (61 appearances) is two times UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year (1997, 2006) and included in FIFA World Cup All-Star Team in 2006.

Sol CAMPBELL, this strong and fast centerback has represented England in three European Championships, and three World Cups. He was named in the 2002 World Cup and 2004 European Championship Teams of the Tournament. He was selected three times in the PFA Team of the Year.

Vincent KOMPANY, as tough tackling and good passer defender, this classy captain of Belgium national team was voted in the PFA Team of the Year for two years in a row; while won the Premier League Player of the Season in 2012.

Jocelyn ANGLOMA, the French was three times included in the European Team of the Year by sport journalists (ESM). This strong and fast right-back was integral part of the famous Valencia team in early 2000’s, and has featured in three Champions League Finals (won one).

Fábio COENTRAO, this skilful Portuguese left back has featured in World Cup and European Championship. His impressive display ended him in the UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament in 2012.

MIDFIELD AND ATTACK

Samuel ETO’O, one of the deadliest and fastest modern striker, this three times Champions League winners was four times included in the European Team of the Year by sport journalists (ESM). The Cameroonian is the most decorated African player of all time, winning four times African Player of the Year; and has featured in three World Cups and six African Nations Cups.

Diego FORLAN, can play as a striker or free role; this Uruguayan is a two-time winner of both the Pichichi Trophy and the European Golden Shoe, and also received the Golden Ball as the best player at the 2010 World Cup.

Franck RIBERY, this 2013 Champions League winner is French winger/playmaker who is fast, tricky and an excellent dribbler. He is two-time winner of both the German and French Football Player of the Years.

Zvonimir BOBAN, was part of the all conquering AC Milan 90’s team. This cool looking captain of Croatia NT won four Serie A titles and one Champions League (and another runner-up). A versatile attacking midfielder who’s an excellent passer and dribbler.

Fernando REDONDO, the Argentine is three times Champions League winner, and one of the best holding midfielder of all-time. A recipient of Golden Ball in FIFA Confederations Cup 1992, he could perform in either a defensive or creative midfield role. Fabio Capello once said he was “a tactically perfect player.” In 2013, he’s named by Macca in the Best Foreign Eleven in Real Madrid's history.

Demetrio ALBERTINI, was the main central midfielder for AC Milan 90’s that won five Serie A titles, and three UEFA Champions League titles (plus two runner-ups). Capped 79 times, the Italian competed in two World Cups and two European Championships, while reached the World Cup final in 1994.

SUB:

Juan Carlos VALERON, represented Spain in the 2002 World Cup and two European Championships (46 caps). This attacking midfielder is known for his passing skills and ball control; and playmaker for the famous Super Depor of early to mid 2000’s.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Gobsmacked that Forlan has been given the nod ahead of Valeron.

Fergus' son

Kp has the better defence, but I do like isotopes partnership too, I think Cambell is hugely underrated and there's a lot of pace in his back line, Lehmann is a clown though!

I prefer Redondo and Albertini to Davids and Cambiasso .

I prefer Kps attack as it is but remove Forlan from isotopes and add in Valeron and I may lean towards his, think that change would certify his midfield control too.

Riquelme does have a solid basis to work from and the thought of him feeding the other front three is quite mouthwatering too.

Close.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Iso needs firepower there though. I don't think Valerón instead of Forlán would improve him at all, and this from someone distinctly underwhelmed at him picking Forlán when he did.

kps looks awesome but wound up getting rather dodgy fullbacks. Salgado wasn't that bad just uninspiring, or at least couldn't be that bad being at Real for so long... dunno, they have played Arbeloa for years now...

The question is whether Iso can exploit that. His chances will probably boil down to selling Boban. Good luck with that...

antohan

Fergus, I don't think Valerón is that necessary to certify the midfield control. I too prefer iso's pair, he will also get more pressing workrate from Boban than kps will get from Riquelme and Cristiano combined. Forlán would likely offer more than Valerón in that regard as well.

The control once in possession is the one area where Valerón would add a lot of value, obviously, but Boban, Redondo and Forlán himself offer quite a bit in that regard. And Forlán offers a goalscoring outlet Valerón doesn't.

As stated, I reckon kps has the upper hand here and iso needs to get his act together selling Boban. Not easy, but he was some player.

kps88

The fullbacks might seem uninspiring, but they are no mugs when it comes to defending and getting stuck in, so it's not like you can target them. I'd say they are more solid defensively compared to Iso's two full backs.

antohan

Angloma is the best fullback on the pitch by a long country mile.

I agree yours are no mugs though. Salgado has his work cut out with Ribery but I would bank on Cristiano giving Coentrao a lot more trouble.

It's Heinze's occasional rashness which could be exploited better. Is Boban someone who can exploit that? How? I'll leave iso to make his case on Boban's role in this game.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I love KPS' description of Kohler: "Vidic on steroids". :lol: Sums him up really. Phenomenal defender.

Going for KPS in this one as he's got such a strong central defence, a strong enough central midfield to compete on a fairly even keel with Iso's, and a brilliant attacking trio of Riquelme, Ronaldo and Vieri. His team is beautifully balanced too, although he'll need to upgrade those full backs.

antohan

Pat, it's no fun when you put it that way! Let's see what iso can come up with first.

Moby

Dick
I reckon Iso's on the west coast and it's early morning there. Tough luck for the game to be started at this time, he could well wake up and see himself 5-7 votes down.

kps88

Pat, it's no fun when you put it that way! Let's see what iso can come up with first.

:lol: Sometimes it really is as simple as someone feels one team is better than the other. Although I know you like to keep things interesting.

I would have loved to see you try and stir things up for Stob's game.

antohan

:lol: Sometimes it really is as simple as someone feels one team is better than the other. Although I know you like to keep things interesting.

Yeah, that looked like watching paint dry. I don't for a moment think it could have been that clearcut with the amount of quality on Stob's team.

I think iso has one shot at giving you enough trouble, just one. With the same personnel, just deploying them differently.

Still a long shot though, you do have 5-6 players I would happily field in the final, which is quite remarkable.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The only weakness for kps is his right side. Ronaldo won't track back at all and I'd fancy Ribery and Coentrao against Salgado

Fergus' son

Fergus, I don't think Valerón is that necessary to certify the midfield control. I too prefer iso's pair, he will also get more pressing workrate from Boban than kps will get from Riquelme and Cristiano combined. Forlán would likely offer more than Valerón in that regard as well.

The control once in possession is the one area where Valerón would add a lot of value, obviously, but Boban, Redondo and Forlán himself offer quite a bit in that regard. And Forlán offers a goalscoring outlet Valerón doesn't.

As stated, I reckon kps has the upper hand here and iso needs to get his act together selling Boban. Not easy, but he was some player.

Yeah, probably not that necessary but I would prefer his team overall with that sub. Don't think the added goal threat of Forlan is required just yet with Ronnie and Vieri on but his work rate will come in handy admittedly.

Boban is one of my favourites, so gifted and so versatile in performing what is asked of him. I love him on that right side, makes it so much easier isotope to adjust tactics when necessary or to suit the game (not that he wrote any tactics!).

antohan

Yeah, probably not that necessary but I would prefer his team overall with that sub. Don't think the added goal threat of Forlan is required just yet with Ronnie and Vieri on
Ronnie and Vieri are on the other team! :lol:

Boban is one of my favourites, so gifted and so versatile in performing what is asked of him. I love him on that right side, makes it so much easier isotope to adjust tactics when necessary or to suit the game (not that he wrote any tactics!).
He should. I'm certainly not going to write them for him. I'm happy to help interpret, but won't write them!

I would play with Boban's versatility and how much he contributes to that midfield imposing itself, the point akash makes on Cristiano not tracking back, Heinze being a bit rash...

There's one clear way to go about exploiting that IMO. As with the previous game, it may matter very little from a "teamsheet scan vote" perspective but would make this game as close in real life as it could possibly be.

kps88

The only weakness for kps is his right side. Ronaldo won't track back at all and I'd fancy Ribery and Coentrao against Salgado

We always think that will happen, but the reality is Ronaldo ends up being the one causing all the problems by staying forward. If anything, his movement will drag Coentrao all over the place and allow Salgado to get forward more. I also mentioned Cambiasso playing the more disciplined role and he can help out if needed.

Thisistheone

Think if me and you had drawn eachother it would have been a humdinger. Both set-up the same, similar balance throughout, fullbacks being a weak point for us both, midfield similar strength and Ronaldo v Ronaldo

antohan

We always think that will happen, but the reality is Ronaldo ends up being the one causing all the problems by staying forward. If anything, his movement will drag Coentrao all over the place and allow Salgado to get forward more.
I have a somewhat different take on this than you and akash. I agree with you that Ronaldo is the one causing all the problems. Where we differ is if iso had Maldini or someone top class he would try to go about controlling him (cue being dragged around, etc.). Since he doesn't, he may as well say feck it and overload Salgado.

You in turn will not want Salgado to go forward more and would/should be happy to bank on Ronaldo making more damage regularly on the loose than the combined threat of Coentrao and Ribery on Salgado.

A bad or exceptional game from any of those four could settle the game.

antohan

BTW, Theo, this is the second or third time your thread title is Redafe Champions League Draft

Just keeping my form at being anal about your gamemastering ;)

aka BUMP!

antohan

Bollocks, I shouldn't be bumping this, just noticed iso is 7-0 down already as Aldo predicted...

kps88

Bollocks, I shouldn't be bumping this, just noticed iso is 7-0 down already as Aldo predicted...

He should have written tactics! Would have given me something to try and counter.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
BTW, Theo, this is the second or third time your thread title is Redafe Champions League Draft

Just keeping my form at being anal about your gamemastering ;)

aka BUMP!
:lol:

:(

Fergus' son

Ronnie and Vieri are on the other team! :lol:

He should. I'm certainly not going to write them for him. I'm happy to help interpret, but won't write them!

I would play with Boban's versatility and how much he contributes to that midfield imposing itself, the point akash makes on Cristiano not tracking back, Heinze being a bit rash...

There's one clear way to go about exploiting that IMO. As with the previous game, it may matter very little from a "teamsheet scan vote" perspective but would make this game as close in real life as it could possibly be.

:lol:

Ignore me today, only had 4 hours sleep!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Didn't expect a beating a like this.

Try to do damage control here:

1. In Redondo, Albertini, Boban, Ribery, and Forlan, I have players who work hard; who would help defence and support attack together;
2. Also all those five are good passer, skilful, and creative with the ball;
3. In Forlan-Ribery-Boban, they are versatile player who are comfortable going to the left, center, and right of attacking field. Then Eto'o also played well on the right for Inter (on their treble season).
  • There's a sense of balance and chemistry within my team, where football could flow in harmony.

Let see what kps team has:

1. Only Riquelme is their playmaker and true creative player. Unfortunately, he's a lazy bugger, thus why no top 4 teams (in the world) even bothered to go for him. He'd survive if the team was build around him, which would never happened when CRonaldo is around;
2. Ronaldo works well with a clever forward who would drop deep, and get involved with the play (Rooney, Tevez, and Benzema). We can see that Vieri isn't that type of player.
3. So, kps has Ronaldo, Kily, Riquelme, and Vieri who won't bother defending as a team,
4. Heinze is the weak point at fullback where Boban and Angloma could have a field day. There's a reason Sir Alex was happy to sell him.

Well, my team is exceptionally balance, and you can see it will actually work in real game. Bayern Munich regarded as the best team last season, by employing the same tactic. Inter Milan won with the same work ethic. Manchester United success is based on quality players with exceptional work ethic. Then there are AC Milan (in the 90's) and Barcelona where players work hard for each other, and there's this chemistry on the team. The list goes on and on.

With kps team, it's like the England team in the past few decades, where team is assembled (mostly) based on names alone.

antohan

You make some excellent points iso. As a team you may be way more coherent as kps does indeed have a lot of individuals who may struggle to hit it off.

One thing really going against your team is that you went for less fancy CLwinners way too early (Albertini and Boban) and that creates a perceived quality gap in the names on the teamsheet.

However, that is actually the strongest case you have going for you. Redondo, Albertini and Boban would most likely work much much better than his two and the miserable Roman.

3. In Forlan-Ribery-Boban, they are versatile player who are comfortable going to the left, center, and right of attacking field. Then Eto'o also played well on the right for Inter (on their treble season).
Don't make it all confusing depicting a merry-go-round of players changing positions. Where should they be? Are you positive you want Boban on Heinze? With Coentrao's main attribute being his attacking qualities, do you need the one true winger there?

4. Heinze is the weak point at fullback where Boban and Angloma could have a field day. There's a reason Sir Alex was happy to sell him.
I think it had more to do with him being a cnut about losing his place to Evra and that being a timebomb in terms of unsettling CR.

But back to Heinze the defender... He was rash, he committed to tackles, went down too easily and would thus be prone to being left on his arse. Will Boban make that happen? Dribbling is only one part of committing a defender.

Fergus' son

Does seem like if Riquelme is stopped, a lot will break down for KP.

antohan

Before anyone complains, "miserable Roman" is a reference to a running joke in Argentina about Riquelme always looking miserable and constantly having personal problems, arguments with Boca management, retiring, coming back, then retiring again... It was a regular TV show question now etched in popular culture "Riquelme, are you happy?", and Riquelme invariably answering "Yes, I'm happy" and looking like someone just stamped on his bollocks.

Someone latched onto it and actually made an ad campaign entirely based on Riquelme looking his usual miserable self but eventually drawing a smile from him when he used their products...

See below, the miserable feck is playing to that persona now and making a ton of money out of it :lol:

kps88

1. Only Riquelme is their playmaker and true creative player. Unfortunately, he's a lazy bugger, thus why no top 4 teams (in the world) even bothered to go for him. He'd survive if the team was build around him, which would never happened when CRonaldo is around;
2. Ronaldo works well with a clever forward who would drop deep, and get involved with the play (Rooney, Tevez, and Benzema). We can see that Vieri isn't that type of player.
3. So, kps has Ronaldo, Kily, Riquelme, and Vieri who won't bother defending as a team,

Well, my team is exceptionally balance, and you can see it will actually work in real game. Bayern Munich regarded as the best team last season, by employing the same tactic. With kps team, it's like the England team in the past few decades, where team is assembled (mostly) based on names alone.

1. He didn't get a move to a big club (lets exclude his move to Barcelona) because he was wasted by van Gaal and peaked too late at Villareal. My midfield is in fact built around him. Ronaldo would love playing in a team with Riquelme at his peak. They are very different players and would compliment each other well. It's not like Ronaldo goes searching for the ball and tries to dictate the game like Riquelme does. Ronaldo makes the runs for Riquelme to pick out.

2. Again, you make Ronaldo sound like he's a very difficult player to play with. He's scored goals playing different systems with United, Madrid and Portugal. He will have no trouble adapting to this system. I'm sure Vieri would appreciate the occasional company up front.

3. You make your front four sound like they're going to be defending all the time. Kily and Vieri aren't exactly known for being lazy? Ronaldo has proven by now that his so call lack of defending ends up hurting the opposition more. Riquelme has two extremely hard working, energetic midfielders behind him to allow him the freedom to dictate play.

4. He was happy to sell Stam, RvN, Becks etc. too, doesn't mean anything for this draft when we're considering players at their peak. At his peak, he was a great defender for us.

Not sure why you bring up Bayern, since we're both playing quite similar systems. Only difference being Riquelme will probably drop more deeper than Forlan and brings more creativity (but less of a goal threat).

kps88

Does seem like if Riquelme is stopped, a lot will break down for KP.

Easier said than done though, particularly when you consider that pair behind him. He's got so many outlets in terms of the pacey wide players either side and the powerful Vieri up top. They can run with the ball/hold it up and create space for him to operate in. It's all set up to bring out the best in him.

antohan

Iso, basic drafting trick: you need the first post on the next page to state your case again there. Lots of people will scroll past your case above, few will be able to avoid it every time they press "2" to go to that page.

Another one I'm surprised no one picked on from the All-time: get the first post after the op as a placeholder for any main points you need to highlight as the game goes on.

Against Cutch I made and posted a short clip on a classic Facchetti goal. It was buried in some page so 4 (yes, four) people actually clicked on it. The clip I made on Eyzaguirre at the FIFA All-Star game? It had 6 hits buried in no man's land until I posted it in the second post after the op... which took it to 37 hits...

It sounds sad, but everything counts, and I will enjoy watching you chaps scramble for that prime advertising real estate. :devil:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You make some excellent points iso. As a team you may be way more coherent as kps does indeed have a lot of individuals who may struggle to hit it off.

One thing really going against your team is that you went for less fancy CLwinners way too early (Albertini and Boban) and that creates a perceived quality gap in the names on the teamsheet.

Yeah. I was quite mesmerized by Bayern's team, so I went to base my team on two DM (Redondo and Albertini) who mimics Schwein - Martinez duo, and some. Actually, Redondo and Albertini duo is the type of CM I want United to have (Carrick and Schewin). Man can only dream.

However, that is actually the strongest case you have going for you. Redondo, Albertini and Boban would most likely work much much better than his two and the miserable Roman.

Don't make it all confusing depicting a merry-go-round of players changing positions. Where should they be? Are you positive you want Boban on Heinze? With Coentrao's main attribute being his attacking qualities, do you need the one true winger there?
I didn't mean they're changing position every minutes. But, players aren't static in the game, and needs to run and help others in different area of the pitch. Just like Giggs. When he's a left winger, he still comfortable coming inside helping center midfield, or joining attack from the middle.

I think it had more to do with him being a cnut about losing his place to Evra and that being a timebomb in terms of unsettling CR.

But back to Heinze the defender... He was rash, he committed to tackles, went down too easily and would thus be prone to being left on his arse. Will Boban make that happen? Dribbling is only one part of committing a defender.
Such a limited fullback is a sore thumb to any team. There's a reason why he's losing his place to Evra, and Argentina had a porous defence with him there. To be fair, I heard he's getting a good review playing as centerback with Rome.[/quote]

Fergus' son

Easier said than done though, particularly when you consider that pair behind him. He's got so many outlets in terms of the pacey wide players either side and the powerful Vieri up top. They can run with the ball/hold it up and create space for him to operate in. It's all set up to bring out the best in him.

Yah, I'm not sure. If Redondo and Albertini can get around him, seeing as Boban is also helping the midfield, then I'm not sure I'd back Riquelme to come out on top.

I agree that if he is allowed to play however, the team is nicely set up for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: No way CRonaldo would be happy to work with Riquelme. It means he has to work harder to make up the lack of pressing.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Went for kps. Prefer his keeper, Kohler and Costacurta is an outstanding pairing at the back, Riquelme is probably my favourite player, and he's got the match winner Cristiano. Isotope has a few players that look a bit weak at this level.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just found out it's true only few rate Boban nowadays. Antohan even 'questioning' if Boban can get the best of Heinze.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To be fair, kps has a wonderful team with some exceptional players. It's not outrageous when people look up for 10-20 seconds (as I usually do), then vote for his.