Redafe Champions League Draft - kps v Isotope

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NM

It's over, mate. Was a close one. You lost.
:lol:

No mate I was waiting for you, you said to wait until 6 in the Draft thread.

I wasn't going to start the thread if we weren't allowed to come up with any responses. Would be a shit thread.

I didn't mean it that way... I meant don't respond until the draft started! My bad for not making it clear. I'll be around for a few hours, and hopefully BD will hold the fort down during my night time.. Let's get it going!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Eto'o is a much better striker than Vieri, for a team that try to play the ball on the ground. Like mentioned before, CRonaldo and Vieri wouldn't work so well for CRonaldo. CRonaldo works well with striker who can act as 'provider'. I don't see CRonaldo would be able to do THAT goal against Arsenal, with Vieri leading the line. The like of Henry, Villa, Sheva and Drogba would be more suitable to get the best of him.

If kps keeps Vieri, the next opponent will be targeting this.

PS: Otherwise, worthy winner, kps.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I said Forlán could and should have been playing from inside left. As Aldo's heatmaps show, he is not a striker who just waits up in the box for someone to get the ball over to him.

I never said he wouldn't benefit from his side also having a left winger around, of course he would. That would give him more service, reduce his workload and the heat /attention from defenders who have another player to also worry about. That just wasn't possible here unfortunately as there's four at the back and a three man midfield. Coentrao provides width though, and Boban through the middle wrapped up the midfield.

Forlán at Villarreal: main striker indeed, he had a Pichichi in his first season then teams were more cautious about him and worked him out. Not his peak.
Forlán at Atlético: second striker operating from deep and on the left, was there a left winger? Yes.
Forlán for Uruguay up until Copa América 2011: inside left, no winger on the left but a wingback (Pereira)

Forlán's peak was 2007/8- WC2010. He wasn't the main striker then and his play was closer to that of an inside left than an out and out striker.
You agree. Why do you agree so much with that formation that Fergus put forward, where he is on the left, Ribery on the right and Valeron/Boban in the middle? I thought that was absurd. Way different role to what he was used to and strongest in which is what I was getting at.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You agree. Why do you agree so much with that formation that Fergus put forward, where he is on the left, Ribery on the right and Valeron/Boban in the middle? I thought that was absurd. Way different role to what he was used to and strongest in which is what I was getting at.
I agreed so much because I had spent the entire last page dropping hints. It was actually more a case of Fergus being the one who put all the hints together and came up with what I thought all along. That is, it wasn't me agreeing but saying "Bingo, you got it!".

I understand it means Ribery isn't playing his most suitable role but, as I said all along, I thought Iso needed the firepower from Forlán and that would come primarily from inside left. Once Forlán is at inside left, and with Coentrao already providing width on the left, Ribery is better used on the right targetting Heinze and hopefully dragging kohler out once he has him beaten. Out of the three, Boban is best suited to support the midfield two so a central role would suit him.

Is it awesome or draft winning stuff? No, but I genuinely thought it was Iso's only hope here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I agreed so much because I had spent the entire last page dropping hints. It was actually more a case of Fergus being the one who put all the hints together and came up with what I thought all along. That is, it wasn't me agreeing but saying "Bingo, you got it!".

I understand it means Ribery isn't playing his most suitable role but, as I said all along, I thought Iso needed the firepower from Forlán and that would come primarily from inside left. Once Forlán is at inside left, and with Coentrao already providing width on the left, Ribery is better used on the right targetting Heinze and hopefully dragging kohler out once he has him beaten. Out of the three, Boban is best suited to support the midfield two so a central role would suit him.

Is it awesome or draft winning stuff? No, but I genuinely thought it was Iso's only hope here.
My first formation of 4-4-1-1 is my ideal one, with Forlan right behind Eto'o. Boban on right will support midfield, with Angloma bombing forward to occupy heinze. But seems like 4-4-1-1 is dead in the Cafe draft (unless your team is clearly superior, or the opponent has weird formation/personnel). I was trailing 0-7 in votes. Even though the mighty Bayern used 4-4-1-1 on their last treble season, humiliating Barca on the way.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
4-4-1-1 is dead because people choose to depict it as 4-2-3-1 :smirk:

The change with Valerón gave you a temporary improvement but I think ultimately the lack of goals cost you. Forlán should have stayed. Not favoritism on my countryman, you just can't win if you can't score and that was ~40% of your probability of scoring gone IMO.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You're right about Forlan. It's just I can't see him playing in 4-2-3-1 as LF. It's the same for the like of del Piero, who clearly is a second striker, rather than LF (even in 4-2-3-1). Theoritically, they would be able to pull it off (as great players they are). But they aren't used that way in their career.

Although I think I'd still lose to kps team, who admittedly has better/famous players in defense and attack. Such a shame, because looking at the Theon vs NM teams (and few others), I think I could give them a closer run than this. Not many teams have as strong pair of CB as Kohler and Costacurta, with Edgar Davids covering them.