Redcafe Champions League Draft QF2 - Ralaks v EDogen

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Edwin Van Der Sar:
Don’t need to introduce this man here I think. Always dependable and a massive stalwart behind the back four.

Rafael:
I know this draft looks at players at their pick so picking a player we’re likely to see improve over the next few seasons is perhaps odd, but I think he has shown the last season that he is more than able and equally good if not better than most of right backs around, especially his attacking play, which leads me to why I picked him. I’ve no fear that him and Becks wouldn’t work together, in fact I think they’d suit each other perfectly. Rafael will bomb forward and will always be able to depend on Becks working hard to help him out if he is caught out opposed to most other wingers who’d just stand and moan. I considered swapping him with Ramos but in my opinion the attacking loss is bigger than the defensive gain here.

Campbell:
Arsenal Stalwart. Part of the invincible Arsenal team. Solid as a rock at his prime, 3 times team of the year, as well as team of the tournament at WC 2002 & Euro 2004.

Stam:
Another Premier League Stalwart, this one proved he could cut it abroad too. Of of the beastiest centre backs to roam the premier league, like Sol 3 times team of the year, as well as winning the best defender in europe twice in a row

Capdevila:
Another offensively minded full back, which is a vital part for me considering my wingers aren’t starting out as offensively as in most other formations. Euro and World Cup winner, being a guaranteed starter for both campaigns.

Beckham:
Hardly need to introduce him either really. Fantastic striker of the ball, one of the best not only in this draft but ever. Hard working too, a big reason why we have been able to keep playing two central midfielders due to his hard work.

Keane:
Captain. Dominating, I’ve no fear that he and Effenberg won’t be able to hold their own in a midfield two against most midfields.

Effenberg:
Big part of the Bayern Munchen team of the late 90ies & early 00ies. I might just have two midfielders, but they are both so dominating, aggressive and powerful that it will feel like I’ve got more. One thing my central midfield for sure won’t lack is courage and will.

Overmars:
Incredibly fast and two footed. Will always be a constant threat down the left wing, more offensively minded than Becks which means Capdevila will play a with a slightly more careful approach to things.

Piero:
Legendary striker. 3rd most scoring Italian ever, joint 4th for their national team. Immense at free kicks too, where he is the leading Italian goalscorer. The goalkeepers won’t stand a chance with him and Becks waiting to take a freekick anywhere near the goal.

Ruud van Nistelrooy:
Legendary front man. Third highest goalscorer ever in the CL, three times top scorer too. Tested a various leagues ending up topscorer in 3 of them as well. Mind boggling that this player never won the CL, deadly as feck. Most people on here knows him and knows what he can do, just imagine him with a team at its prime behind him rather than a team in transition.

Subs:
Gonzalo Higuain, David Trezeguet, Sergio Ramos & Gerard Pique.

Partnerships & Tactics:

Rafael & Becks:
As I’ve mentioned before they would work so good together, both immense crossers of the ball. Rafael is great at offering help to the right midfielder in front of him so he’ll be perfect foil for overlapping Becks. Becks will also be told to use Overmars speed and send diagonal through balls for him to sprint onto. Becks will be key here, helping to contain a lightning fast Giggs and Evra, but if there is one area where Rafael matches Giggs then it’s pace. I considered swapping him with Ramos but in my opinion the attacking loss is bigger than the defensive gain here, Rafael is not the defensive error-filled right back he was when he just came through, he isn’t as comfortable at the back as Neville but with Becks in front of him I’m not super concerned. I feel the best way here is to attack and force Giggs to help out Evra who probably has had as many error prone and defensively suspect seasons as Rafael has had at United.

Campbell & Stam:
Two no-nonsense defenders. Monsters at their prime. They might not be graceful like Rio but don’t mistake them for towering loafs. They’ll be up against it against Zidane and RVP, but I’m contend that they’ll be able to handle it, neither of them are noticeably fast so they won’t be using Campbell’s minor weakness there. Both Campbell & Stam are great readers of the game so they’ll be able to work together and stop the attacks to their best ability.

Capdevila and Overmars:
I expect this to be a part of why I’m winning this. Overmars will be up against Sagna who was never too impressive. Overmars will use his lightning pace to create space for himself (and Capdevila), while Pires is a good player I don’t fear him that much and think he is one of the weaker players in Edogens team (assuming he starts with him over Robben since he picked him in the 2nd round of picks), Capdevila will be able to contain him.

Keane and Effenberg:
Another vital part of my team, they will have to work together - or it will fall apart. I’ve covered them in their respective posts, it’s really a throwback to the good old days of when midfielders were men and not pansies who would pass their way out of trouble (or something). Both are dangerous coming late into box and especially Effenberg knew how to score from range.

Attack:
Del Piero and Nistelrooy. Two of the finest front men ever to grace the CL. Becks and Nistelrooy have both played together before, sadly just for two seasons so I don’t think we ever saw them produce the best they’d be able to but nonetheless Nistelrooy will enjoy the service provided to him and he won’t let all the chances go wasting. I’m confident that Del Piero and Nistelrooy will be able to work together, Nistelrooy is a finisher and Del Piero is a creator, so they’ll suit each other perfectly. Both are used to the role I’m assigning them to, which in fact is a common trend throughout my team.

Team Ralaks​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Vs​
Team EDogen​

Tactics (4-2-3-1)

·In goal I have Buffon, just the perfect keeper. I would not trade him for anyone.

·My central defenders are Nesta and Ferrara who will form a great partnership, complementing each other well. In my opinion the best pairing in the draft.

·My full backs are both very capable in defence but also great going forward. I wanted an attacking full back to link up with Giggs on the left side and that job Evra is perfect for since they know each other well. On the right side I placed Luis Enrique to overlap Robben who tends to drift in to find a position to unload his left foot.

·My central midfielders are Fernando Hierro and Diego Simeone, they will make sure that their presence in the middle of the park will give my team an advantage. Out of the two, Hierro who scored around 50 goals in three seasons will have more space to get forward into goalscoring positions when the time is right. Simeone will have a more defensive position when in possesion and let the offensive part of the game to the other players.

·I mentioned my wingers, Giggs and Robben, two great attacking threats. Giggs on the left and Robben on the right. Surely one of the better pairings in the draft.

·My attacking midfielder who will link my midfield to the attack, I give you Zidane, the perfect playmaker for every team. The living legend and one of the best players ever. First pick in this draft says a lot!

·To finish of my team as the striker to lead my team in goalscoring and link up play I have Robin van Persie. We all have seen what he can do and he will get his chances in this team. Also a good fit among the other players.

Defence: A rock solid back four in Evra – Nesta – Ferrara – Enrique with Buffon as my anchor. They will have a great shield from Hierro and Simeone to help them out against central threats. Giggs who during his peak always was helping out his defender will help out Evra when needed as always. On the right side Enrique will have a big responsibility to handle the defence, and in case he needs help Hierro will be there supporting him.

Attack: My game will start from the back with all my defenders being good ball players. In central midfield I want Hierro and Zidane on the ball. Hierro to spread the balls out wide and Zidane to make some magic. Evra will be a constant threat down the left side with Giggs and they will form a great partnership. Luis Enrique will join the attack when Robben is cutting in on the other side. In Giggs and Robben I have two great threats who will give my team some width. Giggs with his fantastic delivery and understanding of the game. Robben with his x-factor who can make some magic on his own, something that every team needs. Finally Robin van Persie will finish the chances off, he will also be a good link and create some sexy plays with my midfield players.

Finally I believe in my team since:

·Giggs and Robben vs Rafael and Capdevila, I see my wingers tearing them apart.

·The Italian core, Buffon – Nesta – Ferrara. Just amazing.

·Zinedine Zidane, if you look at the players on the pitch. Zidane stands out the most.

·Handling of Ralaks main threats

1. I have great protection against crosses in Nesta, Ferrara and even Hierro who can help out.

2. Keane and Effenberg is probably the strongest area in Ralaks team but I have Hierro and Simeone who will be up for a real fight. That will be a epic midfield battle.

PLAYER PROFILES

Gianluigi Buffon
Juventus and Italy legend, one of best keepers of all time. You really have to do something special to beat this man. Needs no further introduction, just world class.

Patrice Evra
Our own Paddy! He was the best left back in the world for a couple of years, Evra at his best could run the left side all by himself and did just that for a couple of seasons. Never injured and a major part of one of the greatest eras of Manchester United.

Alessandro Nesta
World Cup, Champions League and Serie A winner and also the best centre half of his generation with, one of the best readers of the game that has ever been seen. The timing of his tackling in his prime was a joy to watch. In my opinion the best central defender in this draft.

Cirro Ferrara
Started his career in Napoli and was an important part of a great team playing as a right back before switching to centre back and becoming even greater in that position. Later a leader for the dominant Juventus team in the mid 90s, and the ever-strong Italian national team. Like many other defenders from Italy he is one of the all-time greats. Seven times Serie A winner and also winner of the Champions League. Elegant defender who you always can rely on.

Fernando Hierro
Real Madrid legend that could play both as a central defender and as defensive midfielder at the highest level. Outstanding range of passing and an inspirational leader for club and country. Over 500 games for Madrid with multiple Champions League and La Liga wins. Spain´s finest defender of the modern era. Scored 21 league goals in on season when playing in midfield.

Luis Enrique
The man who could play every position, well almost everywhere. A true leader with a work rate like few other players. Great technique and pace to beat his opponent and also a good passer of the ball, this together with being a real goal threat made him one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the 90s. Also good as attacking midfielder, winger or right back. Big game player and Barcelona legend. 109 goals in 300 appearances for Barca.

Diego Simeone
Defensive midfielder and hard man Diego Simeone, a great ball winner who played for Argentina 106 times. Great mentality and work rate and he will run until the game is won for 90+ minutes. Also capable of scoring goals from a deeper position.

Zinedine Zidane
Out of this world, what a player Mr Zidane was. One of the best talents the world has ever seen. Serie A, La Liga, Champions League, European Championship and World Cup winner. Magical to watch and a player you would want in every team. Big game player.

Ryan Giggs
Manchester United legend and all time great, one of the best left wingers the world has ever seen. Great dribbling, wonderful balance and pace to beat his defender. Great vision of the game and with that also very good delivery. Also has one of the best first touches in the game.

Arjen Robben
One of the best wingers of the last 5 years in world football. Pace, dribbling and a left foot to score wonder goals over and over again. Fantastic in one-on-one situations and brings a real x-factor to any team. A part of both a successful Bayern Munich team and also an important figure in the national team. He has this ability to turn a game in the blink of an eye. 68 goals in 121 games for Bayern. Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Champions League winner.

Robin van Persie
The best striker of the last three years in the game in my opinion. A goal scoring machine with a left foot out of this world. Good movement with the ball and finding the right spaces as well. Technique, vision and a great understanding of the game. Brilliant touch and a joy to watch.

Subs:

Robert Pires
Deco
Rustu Recber
Bacary Sagna

Ralaks

I've been pretty bad at predicting his team in my tactics :lol: This will be epic

Going to be a very close one imo, I think my midfield two will dominate his midfield two and thus I will have the advantage there which is the one to have. Nistelrooy is one player I'd rate as a lone man against Nesta and Ferrera, he won't get bullied or nullified imo.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Ralaks - "neither of them are noticeably fast so they won’t be using Campbell’s minor weakness there."

Campbell was fast in his prime at Arsenal mate, obviously slow on the turn like most big defenders but he was very quick once he got going

Ralaks

Ralaks - "neither of them are noticeably fast so they won’t be using Campbell’s minor weakness there."

Campbell was fast in his prime at Arsenal mate, obviously slow on the turn like most big defenders but he was very quick once he got going

Fair enough, perhaps my mind has been somewhat tainted by his later years, hope that's not a common trend for others too then! :)

EDogen

I've been pretty bad at predicting his team in my tactics :lol: This will be epic

Going to be a very close one imo, I think my midfield two will dominate his midfield two and thus I will have the advantage there which is the one to have. Nistelrooy is one player I'd rate as a lone man against Nesta and Ferrera, he won't get bullied or nullified imo.

You got some positions wrong yes! I had a hard time myself picking my team!

I think dominate is a strong word against Simeone and Hierro who never will back off. I see this as a epic midfield battle!

Ralaks

You got some positions wrong yes! I had a hard time myself picking my team!

I think dominate is a strong word against Simeone and Hierro who never will back off. I see this as a epic midfield battle!

Yeah perhaps it's a little over the top, I still maintain that my two would come out on top against yours though. No midfields will be dominated at this stage really..

Moby

Dick
Luis Enrique and Rafael have a long 90 minutes ahead of them. The wingers against the fullbacks is a mismatch from both sides really. If one of you had a more reliable pair (defensively) it could have easily swung the game. Attacking wise the Evra-Giggsy flank with Evra at his peak would be really devastating and Rafael would need a near flawless game to keep them out. Capdevila against Robben is again very dicey with the dutchman capable of moments of insane trickery. I'd say EDogen has the edge on the flanks here with his fullbacks being tad better defensively and also the fact that Ferrara is quite capable of helping out Lucho.

Think Hierro's passing range can be deadly with Giggsy and Robben getting at the end of it in dangerous areas, specially against fullbacks who aren't the greatest defensively going by ability or record.

EDogen

Some short points I want to highlight once again why my team will win this IMO.

• Buffon, Nesta and Ferrara, the Italian core that will be a steady ground for my team ro rely on. They also have great cover from both midfield and full backs and I see them handling the attacking threats well.
  • Zinedine Zidane simply the best player on the pitch, capable of producing magic against every team/player he will face. It does not matter if it is Roy Keane, he will impact the game more than any other player on the pitch.
  • The epic midfield battle will make the wings a important part of this game.
  • Giggs and Robben against Rafael and Capdevila in relation to Beckham and Overmars against Evra and Enrique. Giggs and Robben will tear them apart, we have seen Rafael having problem when facing top top players like Giggs will be. Robben against Capdevila, I see Robben having the better of him. Then Beckham against Evra who in his prime with his speed will give becks a hard time. And when Beckham manage to deliver a ball into the box I have great cover in there against RvN. The last duell on the wings, Overmars against Enrique, here I have matched up Overmars speed with Enrique.

EDogen

Luis Enrique and Rafael have a long 90 minutes ahead of them. The wingers against the fullbacks is a mismatch from both sides really. If one of you had a more reliable pair (defensively) it could have easily swung the game. Attacking wise the Evra-Giggsy flank with Evra at his peak would be really devastating and Rafael would need a near flawless game to keep them out. Capdevila against Robben is again very dicey with the dutchman capable of moments of insane trickery. I'd say EDogen has the edge on the flanks here with his fullbacks being tad better defensively and also the fact that Ferrara is quite capable of helping out Lucho.

Think Hierro's passing range can be deadly with Giggsy and Robben getting at the end of it in dangerous areas, specially against fullbacks who aren't the greatest defensively going by ability or record.

Enrique though have great cover from Ferrara and Hierro, but as you say I see an advantage on the wings for me.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my tactics Hierro spreading balls out wide for Giggs and Robben is a strong weapon.

Moby

Dick
Enrique though have great cover from Ferrara and Hierro, but as you say I see an advantage on the wings for me.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my tactics Hierro spreading balls out wide for Giggs and Robben is a strong weapon.
I really see it difficult for Hierro to come deep and cover for Ferrara while he's out dealing with Overmars given how strong a battle is there in the midfield. Same goes for Keano which is why I didn't include him in Rafael's defense against Giggsy. They have their own battles to win.

EDogen

I really see it difficult for Hierro to come deep and cover for Ferrara while he's out dealing with Overmars given how strong a battle is there in the midfield. Same goes for Keano which is why I didn't include him in Rafael's defense against Giggsy. They have their own battles to win.

Well that is true, the midfield battle will keep them busy.

:nono: Time to remind you of the 99 semi.
Yeah, but fact still stands that Zidane is the best player out there. One game is not much to go by.

Ralaks

I feel my premier league core is equally adept to be honest. VDS, Campbell & Stam will be able to stop RVP as much as anyone. I don't see any weakness there. Rafael and Capdevila might be weaknesses, but I feel Henrique will have an equally hard time, especially considering he will have no help from Robben, leaving him to deal with Overmars alone. One of Evra's only weaknesses is the occasional lapse in concentration, even at his prime. He'd have to focus 100% of the time to stop Becks effectively, sooner or later one of his trademark crosses will meet Nistelrooy.

Another thing I want to highlight is the synergy of my team especially the midfield. If there is two midfielders I'd want against Zidane then Keane and Effenberg would both be near the top for sure.

This is such a close one it could be decided like the game against Greece where Becks sent England to the World Cup.

Ralaks

The set pieces from Beckham can be a massive weapon in a tight game such as this.

I agree. Especially now that I've improved my potential presence in the opponent box by a lot. (Ramos -> Campbell, Pique -> Stam & Trezeguet -> Nistelrooy).

EDogen

The set pieces from Beckham can be a massive weapon in a tight game such as this.
I agree. Especially now that I've improved my potential presence in the opponent box by a lot. (Ramos -> Campbell, Pique -> Stam & Trezeguet -> Nistelrooy).
Well I have Nesta, Ferrara, Hierro, Enrique among others who are really good at set pieces.

Good takers in Zidane, Hierro, RvP, Robben. Obviously not becks but good as well.

Ralaks

Well I have Nesta, Ferrara, Hierro, Enrique among others who are really good at set pieces.

Good takers in Zidane, Hierro, RvP, Robben. Obviously not becks but good as well.

As you said not as good as Becks, but I'd argue they're not as good as Del Piero either, if setting up for a free kick towards goal in a dangerous area I have to two most dangerous players on the pitch, not that I'd let anyone other than Becks take them, but it helps making the goalkeeper uneasy having two great free kick specialists standing there.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Very close this one, Edogen probably has the edge considering he has the better full backs.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I don't like Enrique at right back against Overmars. That is a weak spot but the rest of Ed's team is solid and will work well together. The 3 behind Van Persie being a delight.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah his top two is awesome, always loved Del Piero and then obviously Ruud was just ruthless

Moby

Dick
While Zizou is without a doubt the best player on the pitch, I can't help but feel that RVP isn't the ideal man up front. Not saying it's a bad combo, just that someone pacier and a better finisher than RvP would have done better in the setup. You don't really need the extra creativity Robin provides with the likes of Zizou, Giggsy and Hierro pulling the strings. The feeling I get from your team is that it relies highly on individual talents and it is tough to see and practiced build up routine being pulled off, whereas on the other hand you have people complimenting each other to perfection in RvN and Del Piero with Beckham aiming 'em in the box and Overmars being the direct pacy outlet on the other side to stretch the defense and make it easier for Ruud, and Keane and Effenberg just stamping their authority in the middle which they are well capable of. The point from where I think you would have a lot of continuous pressure from is Evra-Giggs combo against Rafael which could also reduce the influence of Beckham if he has to spend a lot of time helping the kid out.

I really feel this game is going to be decided by a flash of brilliance from the likes of Zizou/Robben/ADP or a set piece. Apart from a few areas I can't really separate the teams in terms of giving them enough of an edge to swing it their way through a glaring weakness or an area of the pitch that stands out more than the rest.

JaffyJoe

While Zizou is without a doubt the best player on the pitch, I can't help but feel that RVP isn't the ideal man up front. Not saying it's a bad combo, just that someone pacier and a better finisher than RvP would have done better in the setup. You don't really need the extra creativity Robin provides with the likes of Zizou, Giggsy and Hierro pulling the strings. The feeling I get from your team is that it relies highly on individual talents and it is tough to see and practiced build up routine being pulled off, whereas on the other hand you have people complimenting each other to perfection in RvN and Del Piero with Beckham aiming 'em in the box and Overmars being the direct pacy outlet on the other side to stretch the defense and make it easier for Ruud, and Keane and Effenberg just stamping their authority in the middle which they are well capable of. The point from where I think you would have a lot of continuous pressure from is Evra-Giggs combo against Rafael which could also reduce the influence of Beckham if he has to spend a lot of time helping the kid out.

I really feel this game is going to be decided by a flash of brilliance from the likes of Zizou/Robben/ADP or a set piece. Apart from a few areas I can't really separate the teams in terms of giving them enough of an edge to swing it their way through a glaring weakness or an area of the pitch that stands out more than the rest.

I felt the same with the pace of Robben and Giggs a direct and pacy striker like Eto'o would be best they would be dangerous on the counter.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't like Enrique at right back against Overmars. That is a weak spot but the rest of Ed's team is solid and will work well together. The 3 behind Van Persie being a delight.
I don't like him there at all. Say what you will about Sagna or Rafael but I'd rather have either at right back than a box to box midfielder that was most notably known for covering the wings. Great, he was known to cover a lot of positions. So was John O'Shea. Luis Enrique is no right back.

JaffyJoe

I don't like him there at all. Say what you will about Sagna or Rafael but I'd rather have either at right back than a box to box midfielder that was most notably known for covering the wings. Great, he was known to cover a lot of positions. So was John O'Shea. Luis Enrique is no right back.

Exactly. The rest of the team is well balanced though, is Enrique enough of a weakness to lose him the match. Overmars and Capdevilla going at him supplying Ruud who coincidentally I was watching highlights of yesterday he was an amazing goalscorer.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Exactly. The rest of the team is well balanced though, is Enrique enough of a weakness to lose him the match. Overmars and Capdevilla going at him supplying Ruud who coincidentally I was watching highlights of yesterday he was an amazing goalscorer.
Based on how people vote on this, yes.

Fergus' son

I'd take Luis Enrique at RB over Sagna and Rafael at this moment in time.

EDogen

Not looking good in half time this. I have to try with something so now I go with this:

Putting more presure on his defence with the fantastic box-to-box midfielder Luis Enrique!

Bring the second half on!

JaffyJoe

Not looking good in half time this. I have to try with something so now I go with this:

Putting more presure on his defence with the fantastic box-to-box midfielder Luis Enrique!

Bring the second half on!

Interesting you should have started like this should get you more votes.

Fergus' son

Interesting you should have started like this should get you more votes.
Yeah, very true.

I quite liked Hierro in midfield and Luis Enrique at RB though, he would be more or less free to operate as a wingback with Ferrara covering and he is certainly the best at that role from the players in this game. But yeah, it looks better like this and definitely more of a vote winner.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think Aldo had it pretty much nailed on with Ralaks having the more proven team, while EDogen has some outstanding individuals we are expected to believe will work together. I do see them working though and like his left flank and the three behind Van Persie. Someone mentioned Eto'o, he should have been picked ahead of Pires.

I don't particularly like Luis Enrique at right back, although can do a better job there than people are giving him credit for.

EDogen's latest switch earns my vote though. There's no way Ralaks can contain Giggs, Zidane, Lucho and Robben. His defence will be pulled apart constantly and RvP will nail some of the many chances that emerge. Conversely, I can see Nesta and Hierro handling RvN, and with that nullifying 50%+ of Ralaks' threat.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'm edging towards Edogen now too. I'm in a minority here but I really like Ferrara at right back. Before I could see Beckham maybe catching Luis Enrique out with a cross or a cross-field pass to Overmars but with Ferrara's defensive nous not so much. Hardest game to vote on yet, but I'm going for Edogen by the narrowest of margins.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yes, Ferrara won't get forward much but defensively he will be rock solid. It's not like Lucho was going to get forward much with Overmars there anyway, and Robben is entirely capable of giving Capdevila no end of trouble all by himself!

Both of Ralaks' fullbacks are looking particularly vulnerable here and RvP, Zidane and now Lucho arriving in the box will be too hot to handle IMO.

Brightonian

This one has a nice modern flavour to it, and lots of sexy United players. Not, for me, the strongest match-up, but a good entertaining one. With the new formation I have to go with EDogen.

There is a certain amount of unnecessary overlap between Zidane and RVP, where a pacy finisher might have been the obvious choice EXCEPT for the fact that RVP has shown himself, especially more recently, to be just as worthy of his place in the draft as a lethal clinical finisher as he is as a cultured playmaking forward. Plus I don't see Zidane as the sort to only succeed with players geared purely to benefit from his service - the back and forth between the pair of them would have been beautiful to watch.