RedCafe Champions League Draft - TheGame v EDogen

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
System and Profile

At first glance while with the exception of Zidane the team may not feature household names however with a total of 901 caps across the first 11 and a number of team honours including three would cup winners, the experience and talent is undeniable. A left and right foot balance across the whole team also helps the team balance.

I will deploy the 4-2-3-1 system with Zidane behind Shevchenko. Zidane would drift allowing Pires and Lopez to cut inside and use their goalscoring abilities. The tough midfield with Cocu and Seedorf would allow excellent defence with the ability also to start attacking moves. The full backs would also get forward and have that ability to do so with again cover provided in the midfield. The technical ability of the team is immense allowing fluid passing football. On the bench there is then Di Livio, a man frequently used by his clubs to shut down games. This would allow further changes of tactics and formations with a number of options available.

Comparison to EDogen

The pace of Shevchenko and Lopez drifting in, would worry a not so fast defence of Hierro, Ferrara or Nesta. With the only defensive midfield player being Simeone, a fluid interchangeable Zidane, Pires and Lopez would overrun him and the fullbacks, Evra and Sagna. There is great pace and attacking ability with Robben and Giggs however I have confidence in my full backs to deal with this threat and also cause them to run in the opposite direction with their attacking abilities. Both have pace to deal with any threat and great defensive abilities. Van Persie will be a threat however a centre back pairing with over 200 international caps between them and great ability will be able to deal with him. A left and right foot pairing also helps cover on the flanks for the full backs. A solid midfield pairing of Seedorf and Cocu will allow cover while others attack and also to cover any inward movement from the wings as well as dealing with Enrique and Deco. Along with the added option of deploying Di Livio, my team has the talent to win.

Player Profiles

Vitor Baia – World class keeper, a number of titles won with Porto including the Champions League, UEFA Cup, named as one magazine’s world’s best GK in 1995 and the UEFA best GK of the year for 2003-04. Played regularly for Barcelona when he joined them in 1996 however a knee injury and a change of coach meant a return to Porto where he continued his consistent quality keeping. 80 caps for Portugal, a record for his position for Portugal. Appeared for them at two European Championships and the 2002 World Cup.

Dario Simic – Versatile defender, can play as a sweeper, centre back and as right back. 100 caps for Croatia, was there most capped player until recently overtaken by Dario Srna. Played in the famous Croatia team at the 1998 World Cup where they finished third. Played for Dinamo Zagreb, Inter, Monaco and AC Milan where he won the champions league twice. A quality reliable defender with considerable amounts of experience at club and international level.

Frank de Boer – One of the legends for the Dutch, quite simply one of their best defenders ever and one of the best ever in the game. 112 caps for his country, played for them at 5 international tournaments and responsible for that great pass which led to the legendary Bergkamp goal at the 1998 World Cup. Had a successful playing career for Ajax where he won the Champions League and UEFA Cup along with numerous other titles. Also made a number of appearances for Barcelona where he won the League.

Stefan Reuter – Part of the German team that won the 1990 World Cup and the 1996 European Championships. Won 69 caps for his country and was known for his speed. Ideal for a full back and he could also play in midfield. Won the 1997 Champions League with Dortmund, and also played for Bayern, Juventus and Nuremburg. A fantastic reliable player with bags of experiences and honours to boot.

Ze Roberto – Very underrated player who went onto win 84 caps for Brazil. Helped them win 2 Copa Americas while also being part of the squads for 1998 and 2006 World Cups. Started at Real Madrid where he helped them win the league in 1997. Part of the famous Leverkusen team which reached the Champions League final in 2002 only to lose to Madrid. Also played for Bayern where he won numerous domestic titles. Quality player who could play as full back, wing back and in midfielder. Fantastic stamina and speed.

Phillip Cocu – Another great player of the Dutch game with 101 caps. Captained the national side and could play in a variety of different positions, including left back, centre back, wing back and central midfield. Played a number of times for PSV and Barcelona winning domestic titles for both clubs and a number of other titles for PSV. A quality player who with fantastic technical ability.

Clarence Seedorf – First player to win the Champions League four times and with three different clubs. A player with fantastic technical ability like most Dutch players and one who always appears high in best player lists. The list of honours is long at club level. Had great playing careers for Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan. Individual awards include, UEFA Best Midfielder in 2006-07. 87 caps for Holland and played in four international tournaments. A player with great stamina and great passing ability. Still playing at the moment with Botafogo in Brazil.

Robert Pires – A great attacking midfielder with that ability to score. Usually floated inside from a wide position and was very difficult to mark or pick up. Scored 84 times for Arsenal in 284 appearances, which is very impressive. Football Writers Player of the Year in 2001-02 and named in the PFA Team of the Year in three successive seasons from 2001-02 to 2003-04. Also had successful playing spells for Metz, Marseille and Villarreal. 74 caps for France along with 14 goals for whom he won the World Cup and European Championship.

Zinedine Zidane – Words cannot really describe this player and he has gone down as one of the most unique talents we have ever seen. The roll call of honours for club, country and individually is too great to list. Played for Juventus and Real Madrid with that great goal in the 2002 Champions League Final. 108 caps for France and will go down as probably their greatest ever player.

Claudio Lopez – Nicknamed the louse for his great speed and was also known for his dribbling and world class finishing. Made his name mostly at Valencia and Lazio however also won 55 caps for Argentina. Could also play on the wing where I will be using him to use his abilities to cut inside.

Andriy Shevchenko – At his peak one of the greatest strikers there has been, great strength, pace and finishing ability. Ballon D’or winner in 2004 with him being in the top five on four other occasions. Had great careers with Kyiv and Milan where he won the champions league. Prolific striker who could lead the line on his own or with a partner. 111 caps for Ukraine and is probably personally responsible for bringing them onto the map of international football.

Angelo di Livio (sub) - A fantastic player able to play in central midfield or as a wing back. Known as soldatino (little soldier) for his fantastic work rate and stamina. Great playing career for a number of clubs and also won 40 caps for Italy. Useful to deploy to shut down the game.
Team TheGame​
Sub - Di Livio on for Pires​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
VS​
Team EDogen​
·In goal I have Rustu Recber not much to say about that.

·My central defenders are Nesta and Hierro who will form a great partnership, complementing each other well. In my opinion the best pairing in the draft.

·My full backs are different players, I wanted an attacking full back to link up with Giggs on the left side and that job Evra is perfect for since they know each other well. On the right side I placed Ciro Ferrara since Robben will be playing in front of him, with Ferrara I will get enough cover to feel safe.

·My central midfielders are Luis Enrique and Diego Simeone, they will make sure that their presence in the middle of the park will give my team an advantage. Luis Enrique will play as a box-to-box midfielder which he is the perfect man for with his all round game. Simeone will have more defensive duty and will be my ball winner in the middle.

·I mentioned my wingers, Giggs and Robben, two great attacking threats. Giggs on the left and Robben on the right. Surely one of the better pairings in the draft.

·My attacking midfielder who will link my midfield to the attack, I give you Deco, the perfect playmaker for my team. The man who led two teams to Champions League glory and now he will have the same role in my team.

·To finish of my team as the striker to lead my team in goalscoring and link up play I have Robin van Persie. We all have seen what he can do and he will get his chances in this team. Also a good fit among the other players.

Defence: A rock solid back four in Evra – Nesta – Hierro – Ferrara with Rustu Recber as my anchor. They will have a great shield from Luis Enrique and Simeone to help them out against central threats. Giggs who during his peak always was helping out his defender will help out Evra when needed as always. On the right side Ferrara will have a big responsibility to handle the defence, and in case he needs help Luis Enrique will be there supporting him with his work rate and stamina. Finally Deco is a player who will help out in the midfield battle more than most playmakers.

Attack: My game will start from the back and with Hierro I have the perfect player to play out of the back. Evra will be a constant threat down the left side with Giggs and they will form a great partnership. Luis Enrique and Deco are the two players in my team that I want Hierro to find and they will either on their own or as a pair create a lot of chances with their creativity for my three attacking players. Luis Enrique will join the attack from deep and will be a serious goal threat with this like he always was. In Giggs and Robben I have two great threats who will give my team some width. Giggs with his fantastic delivery and understanding of the game. Robben with his x-factor who can make some magic on his own, something that every team needs. Finally Robin van Persie will finish the chances off, he will also be a good link and create some sexy plays with my midfield players.

Finally I believe in my team since:

My midfield can make it a tough game in middle.

I can handle the biggest threats in Zidane and Shevchenko since my central defence and midfield is good enough for that.

My wings are superior.

My defence is better.

My attack will give his defence problems from all areas both central and wide.

Hierro, Cerrara, Nesta, Enrique is serious threats from set pieces, with delivery from Deco and van Persie.

Player profiles

Rustu Recber
Excellent stopper with great reflexes and also very good in one-on-ones, a real matchwinner on his day. Was voted in the World Cup All Star Team in 2002. Turkish legend.

Patrice Evra
Our own Paddy! He was the best left back in the world for a couple of years, Evra at his best could run the left side all by himself and did just that for a couple of seasons. Never injured and a major part of one of the greatest eras of Manchester United.

Alessandro Nesta
World Cup, Champions League and Serie A winner and also the best centre half of his generation with, one of the best readers of the game that has ever been seen. The timing of his tackling in his prime was a joy to watch. In my opinion the best central defender in this draft.

Fernando Hierro
Real Madrid legend that could play both as a central defender and as defensive midfielder at the highest level. Outstanding range of passing and an inspirational leader for club and country. Over 500 games for Madrid with multiple Champions League and La Liga wins. Spain´s finest defender of the modern era.

Cirro Ferrara
Started his career in Napoli and was an important part of a great team playing as a right back. Later a leader for the dominant Juventus team in the mid 90s, and the ever-strong Italian national team. Like many other defenders from Italy he is one of the all-time greats. Seven times Serie A winner and also winner of the Champions League. Elegant defender who you always can rely on.

Diego Simeone
Defensive midfielder and hard man Diego Simeone, a great ball winner who played for Argentina 106 times. Great mentality and work rate and he will run until the game is won for 90+ minutes. Also capable of scoring goals from a deeper position.

Luis Enrique
The man who could play every position, well almost everywhere. A true leader with a work rate like few other players. Great technique and pace to beat his opponent and also a good passer of the ball, this together with being a real goal threat made him one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the 90s. Big game player and Barcelona legend. 109 goals in 300 appearances for Barca.

Deco
Midfield magican and arguably the best playmaker in the world at one point. He led both Porto and Barcelona to Champions League glory and this by being one of the front figures in both teams. Elegance, techninque, passing, vision, touch, he just had it all. The maestro in my midfield who makes my game flow.

Ryan Giggs
Manchester United legend and all time great, one of the best left wingers the world has ever seen. Great dribbling, wonderful balance and pace to beat his defender. Great vision of the game and with that also very good delivery. Also has one of the best first touches in the game.

Arjen Robben
One of the best wingers of the last 5 years in world football. Pace, dribbling and a left foot to score wonder goals over and over again. Fantastic in one-on-one situations and brings a real x-factor to any team. A part of both a successful Bayern Munich team and also an important figure in the national team. He has this ability to turn a game in the blink of an eye. 68 goals in 121 games for Bayern. Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Champions League winner.

Robin van Persie
The best striker of the last three years in the game in my opinion. A goal scoring machine with a left foot out of this world. Good movement with the ball and finding the right spaces as well. Technique, vision and a great understanding of the game. Brilliant touch and a joy to watch.

Thisistheone

I like both teams. TheGame has constructed a team that suits his main man Zidane.

And EDogen has once again built a quality side.

TheGame

I agree Edogen has a good side however I would like to point out some arguments:

• I question the positioning of Luis Enrique in the deep lying midfield as he tended to play in more attacking positions for Barcelona and even up top on some occasions. This leaves Simeone against Zidane with also Pires and Lopez cutting inside further over-running him.
  • While Ciro Ferrara is a good defender, he tended to play better more centrally and up against Lopez, he would struggle against his pace and dribbling skills.
  • I again point out that my midfield two would be solid enough to deal with Deco and while Giggs and Robben are great wingers, I believe my pacey fully backs with great defensive abilities would contain them while they could also get support from the two holding midfielders.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Had to vote Edogen.

The game probably has the better attack, and a similar level midfield, however the defence is where it all comes unstuck. Was never a big fan of Baia and I think Reuter, Simic and Ze Roberto are quite underwhelming in the context of the draft, whereas Edogen has fantastic defenders (Ferrera on the right is a monumental waste though).

Good luck to both for the rest of the game.

EDogen

I would like to respond to those arguments.

• Luis Enrique is more than capable of playing as a true box-to-box player, in fact he is one of the best alternatives for this position in this draft. His work rate and stamina was fantastic and he has a good defensive aspect in his game also. So he will surely help out Simeone a lot in the midfield battle. As our dear friend antohan would say "Keane with goals".
  • Ferrara was such a fine defender and not to slow at his peak so I feel confident in him handling Lopez.
  • I think that Robben and Giggs would create chances against Reuter and Ze Roberto more than your wingers would to against Evra and Ferrara, with Giggs naturally helping out Evra.
Then one more point for now.

• My defence of Evra - Nesta - Hierro - Ferrara against your of Ze Roberto - De Boer - Simic - Reuter, there is a clear gap in quality to my advatage in there.
  • When I look at your team, I see Zidane and Sheva as your main threats and that is central threats, With my central spine and the best central defenders in the draft I think that suits me well and my defenders together with Simeone and Enrique will handle them.

EDogen

Had to vote Edogen.

The game probably has the better attack, and a similar level midfield, however the defence is where it all comes unstuck. Was never a big fan of Baia and I think Reuter, Simic and Ze Roberto are quite underwhelming in the context of the draft, whereas Edogen has fantastic defenders (Ferrera on the right is a monumental waste though).

I know that Ferrara on the right is a waste but for this game I felt this was the best thing for my team. He will do a good job there also and maybe depending on how things turns out he may have another position in the future.

My alternative would have been Ferrara CB, Enrique RB and Hierro CM.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I like both teams. TheGame has constructed a team that suits his main man Zidane.

And EDogen has once again built a quality side.
Agreed, it's alot closer than I thought it would be. Seeing TheGame's team lined up like this I really like what he's constructed.

I think TheGame's attack is better, and I also probably prefer that Dutch midfield, but EDogen's defence is brilliant.

Thisistheone

Agreed, it's alot closer than I thought it would be. Seeing TheGame's team lined up like this I really like what he's constructed.

I think TheGame's attack is better, and I also probably prefer that Dutch midfield, but EDogen's defence is brilliant.
This is what I'm weighing up before I place a vote. I like TheGames attack and midfield. But EDogen's defence is clearly superior as pointed out already. This is possibly to toughest game yet to vote on

Fergus' son

I know that Ferrara on the right is a waste but for this game I felt this was the best thing for my team. He will do a good job there also and maybe depending on how things turns out he may have another position in the future.

My alternative would have been Ferrara CB, Enrique RB and Hierro CM.
Would seem a bit more natural but I also don't really like Enrique in the defence unless it's a necessity. You have my vote already anyway, you drafted very very well for someone low in the order too.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
This is what I'm weighing up before I place a vote. I like TheGames attack and midfield. But EDogen's defence is clearly superior as pointed out already. This is possibly to toughest game yet to vote on

I agree.

TheGame

I would like to respond to those arguments.

• Luis Enrique is more than capable of playing as a true box-to-box player, in fact he is one of the best alternatives for this position in this draft. His work rate and stamina was fantastic and he has a good defensive aspect in his game also. So he will surely help out Simeone a lot in the midfield battle. As our dear friend antohan would say "Keane with goals".
  • Ferrara was such a fine defender and not to slow at his peak so I feel confident in him handling Lopez.
  • I think that Robben and Giggs would create chances against Reuter and Ze Roberto more than your wingers would to against Evra and Ferrara, with Giggs naturally helping out Evra.
Then one more point for now.

• My defence of Evra - Nesta - Hierro - Ferrara against your of Ze Roberto - De Boer - Simic - Reuter, there is a clear gap in quality to my advatage in there.
  • When I look at your team, I see Zidane and Sheva as your main threats and that is central threats, With my central spine and the best central defenders in the draft I think that suits me well and my defenders together with Simeone and Enrique will handle them.
I agree Enrique was a great utility player and he could play in the position however personally I don't think you would get the best out of him there. I still stick to my point on Lopez and Ferrara however we will agree to disagree on that one:). Robben and Giggs are more out and out wingers then the wide players I've got however Lopez and Pires will be coming in alot more and placing great pressure on your midfield and I feel with Zidane and Seedorf's creativity there will be opportunities against your defence.

I have to disagree against the clear gap in quality in defence, my defence + GK has 445 international caps between them and have a great deal of experience playing in the big matches. I'm not diminishing your defence's quality because I think it is very good however I feel mine is certainly on a par. I probably don't have the household names as you do but people like Reuter have won a world cup and De Boer has appeared numerous times at tournaments and played for successful clubs. I still would question Ferrara out at RB and feel he would be better in the centre therefore I feel my defence is better balanced.

I do have a central threat, however Lopez will still offer width while also cutting inside. Both wide men cutting inside would allow my pacy full backs to get forward to offer that width.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
EDogen is better everywhere from back to front, I think only the keeper lets him down.

There's nothing wrong with Luis Enrique's positioning. I certainly liked him better in a pair further forward from a pivot (Guardiola), call it a "Lampard role" if you wish. In that role he was the best box-to-box in the draft, in the one he has here the likes of Keane and Vieira would be clearly superior. He still is a handful and I fancy him and Simeone to win the battle vs. Cocu and Seedorf, even before we bring Deco and Zidane into consideration.

I don't agree Ferrara would struggle against López any more than Zé Roberto against Robben, but out of those flanks I agree that's the one where The Game may get some joy when in possession as Zé Roberto and López will double up on Ferrara and Hierro isn't the fastest cover. I still think overall Giggs and Robben are getting more joy on the flanks and the central pairing from EDogen is significantly stronger.

I just can't see TheGame getting a hold of this game, bar when Zidane gets the ball and starts weaving his magic. That's not enough for me against a much stronger side.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Two well constructed teams.

Had to vote Edogen.

My initial reaction was that TG's defence looked below par for this level of competition. On reflection though I think the pace of Reuter and Ze Roberto would be really helpful in dealing with the threat of Giggs and Robben. Similarly in the middle while De Boer is a bit slow and not the most athletic centre-half, Van Persie does not have the exceptional pace to really exploit it. Yet while TG's defence is well suited to dealing with EDogen's attack, there is a quality gap between Nesta/Hierro and Simic/De Boer. That's probably the main difference between the sides. Where TG might get some joy though is through Zidane and Pires exerting some control and slipping in Claudio Lopez whose pace could make an impact in the channel between Hierro and Ferrara.

antohan

I have to agree, everyone saying its really close then you get a post like that. :lol:
As far as exerting control over the game, he is. You have more creativity in midfield, but he is well equipped to deal with that. He just has enough there and down the flanks to continuously create trouble.

In your case, as stated, I can only see an inspired Zidane moment or a Zidane/Cocu ball to López causing havoc in between Hierro and Ferrara. I do see why he has opted for Ferrara there though, the attacking phase on your left flank is your strongest comparatively. Ciro certainly won't be a liability, but him and Hierro won't make up the strongest of right flanks and that's where you may have openings.

He does have a lot more potential for openings, particularly with a significantly less impressive CB partnership at your end.

Thisistheone

Thinking how good a young Giggs would be in that 4231 formation, instead of Fergie's 442.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Easy one for me this one. Prefer Claudio Lopez up top, prefer Pires on the left, prefer Ze Roberto in midfield. Don't rate Vitor Baia or Simic.

Edogen has a far better defence and Giggs/Robben who would tear any fullback a new one.

NM

At first, I saw the entire team and said Edogen HAD to win... but then I thought some more. And The Game will ahve everything built to flow thru Zidane.. And I don't seem Simeone stopping that..

EDogen

Thinking how good a young Giggs would be in that 4231 formation, instead of Fergie's 442.
He would be crazy good. I see both my wingers having a clear advantage against their fullbacks. And this with Giggs having the most fun.

EDogen

At first, I saw the entire team and said Edogen HAD to win... but then I thought some more. And The Game will ahve everything built to flow thru Zidane.. And I don't seem Simeone stopping that..
Easy to say Zidane against Simeone.. But a more telling picture are the midfields against each other and there I am on par with his midfield. Then my wingers and defence is superior in what impact they will have in the game.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
As far as exerting control over the game, he is. You have more creativity in midfield, but he is well equipped to deal with that.
That's not what you said though, you said "EDogen is better everywhere from back to front", when that isn't true.

I really like EDogen's team and it has some of my favourite ever players in there, but Zidane/Sheva is on another level to Deco/Van Persie. In the same way EDogen's defence is on another level to TheGame's.

EDogen

That's not what you said though, you said "EDogen is better everywhere from back to front", when that isn't true.

I really like EDogen's team and it has some of my favourite ever players in there, but Zidane/Sheva is on another level to Deco/Van Persie. In the same way EDogen's defence is on another level to TheGame's.
A fair point I agree, but my defence will handle Zidane/Sheva on a similar level that his defence will handle Deco/Van Persie

Also I think that Giggs and Robben edges it against their fullbacks in relation to what Pires and Lopez would against my fullbacks.

I therefore think I will win the game on the wings both fullbacks and wingers.

NM

Easy to say Zidane against Simeone.. But a more telling picture are the midfields against each other and there I am on par with his midfield. Then my wingers and defence is superior in what impact they will have in the game.

Theon puts this across better than me.

Shevchennko in his prime was unstoppable too. He was brilliant in Milan colors until Chelsea ruined him.

EDogen

Theon puts this across better than me.

Shevchennko in his prime was unstoppable too. He was brilliant in Milan colors until Chelsea ruined him.
Sheva was brilliant for sure, but as I remember Hierro and Nesta was quite okay them also.

NM

Sheva was brilliant for sure, but as I remember Hierro and Nesta was quite okay them also.

Completely agree with that. I saw Nesta-Hierro and said amazing CB partnerrship. No doubt about that.

You are winning this one easily though. I wonder if the The Game regrets picking Zidane over Messi now? I would definitely have considered it.. Or even the Brazilian Ronaldo.

kps88

The gap between the center backs is far greater than the gap between Sheva and Van Persie.

TheGame

I think there are some unfair comments regarding the defence, People are acting like Hierro was the greatest ever defender and while I agree he was good, I believe him and de Boer are equal. Both good defenders who perhaps lack a bit of pace. The only concession I would make is that Nesta perhaps trumps Simic but I feel the rest of the defence is level.

Fergus' son

I think there are some unfair comments regarding the defence, People are acting like Hierro was the greatest ever defender and while I agree he was good, I believe him and de Boer are equal. Both good defenders who perhaps lack a bit of pace. The only concession I would make is that Nesta perhaps trumps Simic but I feel the rest of the defence is level.
"Perhaps" is a classic but this should be closer IMO. De boer vs Hierro is an interesting conversation.

antohan

Go read the entire post and you will see I then made some caveats, but the point still stands. EDogen's back four is better, his flanks are better and will hand him his arse on a plate (with a caveat yes, but Giggs-Evra and Robben exploiting Roberto's defensive frailties and one on one vs. a slower de Boer... as tasty a proposition as López on Ferrara/Hierro) and with that considered his midfield UNIT is superior to The Game's. Not creatively no, but if I had to choose between the two -AS UNITS- I would have EDogen's.

That's fair if you look at those pairs in isolation. Problem is, I don't ever do that. I don't care if Zidane-Sheva look -and indeed are- better than Deco-RvP, I assess those two relative to who are the ones supposed to stop them and I can't for the life of me see Cocu-Seedorf and Simic-de Boer dealing with his pair better than Simeone-Luis Enrique and Nesta-Hierro. He is getting no joy there, few players would TBH.

antohan

Completely agree with that. I saw Nesta-Hierro and said amazing CB partnerrship. No doubt about that.

You are winning this one easily though. I wonder if the The Game regrets picking Zidane over Messi now? I would definitely have considered it.. Or even the Brazilian Ronaldo.
Brazilian Ronaldo. Messi I would want to see a side that looks like one Messi will thrive in, Brazilian Ronaldo is non-CL winner and a fecking monster up there. He is the only player that no matter what CB pair the oppo has I could see him grabbing a goal or two.

antohan

"Perhaps" is a classic but this should be closer IMO. De boer vs Hierro is an interesting conversation.
Yeah, "perhaps" :lol: ... and then I'm told I'm talking rubbish just because they dislike my points.

I think both de Boer and Hierro are in for a torrid time with Robben and López respectively. Hierro has a true defender (if not an exceptional FB) tucking in though, while de Boer is covering the least defensively sound of the four FBs. Robben will have joy there, make no mistake about that.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Go read the entire post and you will see I then made some caveats, but the point still stands. EDogen's back four is better, his flanks are better and will hand him his arse on a plate (with a caveat yes, but Giggs-Evra and Robben exploiting Roberto's defensive frailties and one on one vs. a slower de Boer... as tasty a proposition as López on Ferrara/Hierro) and with that considered his midfield UNIT is superior to The Game's. Not creatively no, but if I had to choose between the two -AS UNITS- I would have EDogen's.

That's fair if you look at those pairs in isolation. Problem is, I don't ever do that. I don't care if Zidane-Sheva look -and indeed are- better than Deco-RvP, I assess those two relative to who are the ones supposed to stop them and I can't for the life of me see Cocu-Seedorf and Simic-de Boer dealing with his pair better than Simeone-Luis Enrique and Nesta-Hierro. He is getting no joy there, few players would TBH.
I read your post Antohan, but the point doesn't stand. However way you want to spin it TheGames attack is better than EDogens. Out of all 8 players in the respective front fours TheGame has the best two, and in Zidane he has the ultimate matchwinner on the entire pitch.

The midfield is about even, I know you rate Enrique highly but that Dutch partnership is a match for him and Simeone. There will be no dominance either way there.

Fergus' son

Yeah, "perhaps" :lol: ... and then I'm told I'm talking rubbish just because they dislike my points.

I think both de Boer and Hierro are in for a torrid time with Robben and López respectively. Hierro has a true defender (if not an exceptional FB) tucking in though, while de Boer is covering the least defensively sound of the four FBs. Robben will have joy there, make no mistake about that.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Too right, he was my favourite striker once Batigol and Ronaldo were on the way down. Id be amongst all the Henry vs RVN debates at school fighting Shevas corner.

Thisistheone

Brazilian Ronaldo. Messi I would want to see a side that looks like one Messi will thrive in, Brazilian Ronaldo is non-CL winner and a fecking monster up there. He is the only player that no matter what CB pair the oppo has I could see him grabbing a goal or two.
Keep this in mind when you vote in my next match yeah.

NM

True. I would worry that people would just see Messi and vote though. Otherwise Brazilian Ronaldo would be my top pick.

Yeah, sounds about right.
Too right, he was my favourite striker once Batigol was on the way down. Id be amongst all the Henry vs RVN debates at school fighting Shevas corner.

I was in India so nobody really saw Serie A back then.. It was all about RVN vs Henry.. Sheva was brilliant though. I struggle to understand what happened to him.

Fergus' son

True. I would worry that people would just see Messi and vote though. Otherwise Brazilian Ronaldo would be my top pick.

I was in India so nobody really saw Serie A back then.. It was all about RVN vs Henry.. Sheva was brilliant though. I struggle to understand what happened to him.
Chose to move to another club and country just as the moment when his pace was declining. IMO its crucial that during that particular part of a players career they should be with a club and manager that completely understands their game and shouldn't put themselves under any additional pressure, moving to Chelsea for £30M when the manager don't even want you doesn't really fit that bill.

sajeev

I saw EDogen's team and thought this has to be a winner. But then TG has constructed his team really well. It is only his central defensive partnership which let him down. Other things considered the central axis of attack is balanced by the wings (that is the team which has the stronger attack through the centre has the weaker wings)
I think I will vote for EDogen.

The voting pattern usually doesn't reflect how close games could be. Then again, if one team has a clear edge despite it being close the voting pattern would be quite distorted, as the winner is clear.

Maybe voters should be asked to give a scoreline, and then see how it adds up.