RedCafe Cricket Draft - ODIs

Interval

Level
I need registrations, please.

Me and Donadol are working on an auction process. If we can work out the kinks, we'll implement it otherwise normal draft.

To all you naysayers, zip it. Hear the concept out first and then whine.

IF its an auction process, I'll sit out else I'm in.

Teams:
1. KM :D
2. Omar
3. MJJ
4. Aldo
5. Zing
6. crappy
7. nm03
8. mightberight
9. Desert Eagle
10. Stretch
11. Donadol
12. Varun
13. Interval

NM

In.

Also, do bring up Aldo KM.

zing

Zingle balls
Auctions.. not sure how that'll work on forums..

Interval

Level
Okay. So after a good discussion with DD, this is my proposal:

I will draw up a list of 100 players fulfilling the draft criteria. I think it'll mostly be atleast 50 matches or so after 1990 given that judging players not seen by most didn't work out that great. It'll include 40 batsmen, 40 bowlers, 10 all rounders and 10 keepers.

Each team will have a limited budget and have to buy a total of 6 players. Post this, it will be a normal draft situation thus testing the knowledge and research ability of each player.

Auction process will be as follows:
I will open the auction for 20 players per day. Auction will start 12 noon GMT and finish next day at 11 am GMT. Everyone will have to keep PM'ing me their bids on players and as much as possible, I will keep updating the latest top bids on each player. Highest bids received on or before 11 am GMT will take that player.

We will have a base price for players. In case a team has blown all their money on a few players, they will not be able to bid on any players and get the players at the base price. ie, if the base price is $100 and the particular manager has already got 3 players, he will not be able to bid any amount which would result in a balance of less than $200. He will then have to bet base price for players he wants until he finishes his quota of 6.

Its quite simplistic. May or may not work depending on time availability of various players. We'll try and make modifications depending on what the feedback is.

I'd love to have a live auction with 5 minutes per player but it'll be an extremely long drawn process and even if I stagger it over 5 days, it'll require a commitment of all players for 1.5 hours per day at a fixed time.

NM

When are you starting the auctions?

Interval

Level

I will draw up a list of 100 players fulfilling the draft criteria. I think it'll mostly be atleast 50 matches or so after 1990 given that judging players not seen by most didn't work out that great. It'll include 40 batsmen, 40 bowlers, 10 all rounders and 10 keepers.

Each team will have a limited budget and have to buy a total of 6 players. Post this, it will be a normal draft situation thus testing the knowledge and research ability of each player.

I will open the auction for 20 players per day. Auction will start 12 noon GMT and finish next day at 11 am GMT. Everyone will have to keep PM'ing me their bids on players and as much as possible, I will keep updating the latest top bids on each player. Highest bids received on or before 11 am GMT will take that player.

We will have a base price for players. In case a team has blown all their money on a few players, they will not be able to bid on any players and get the players at the base price. ie, if the base price is $100 and the particular manager has already got 3 players, he will not be able to bid any amount which would result in a balance of less than $200. He will then have to bet base price for players he wants until he finishes his quota of 6.

Its quite simplistic. May or may not work depending on time availability of various players. We'll try and make modifications depending on what the feedback is.

I'd love to have a live auction with 5 minutes per player but it'll be an extremely long drawn process and even if I stagger it over 5 days, it'll require a commitment of all players for 1.5 hours per day at a fixed time.
Opinions, ladies?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I like it. Will be a loads of work for you and will need to constantly free your PM space.

zing

Zingle balls
I think it's going to be quite impractical, but nothing lost in giving it a shot.

My one other problem with that is, as it looks like we're going to have 8 teams, that's 48 players picked, meaning 52 players will be unpicked.

There won't be that little bit of mystery of people doing their own research for phase 2. We'll just mostly have players picked off from the remaining 52.

Maybe you should cut that number.

Interval

Level
I think it's going to be quite impractical, but nothing lost in giving it a shot.

My one other problem with that is, as it looks like we're going to have 8 teams, that's 48 players picked, meaning 52 players will be unpicked.

There won't be that little bit of mystery of people doing their own research for phase 2. We'll just mostly have players picked off from the remaining 52.

Maybe you should cut that number.
If there are only 8 teams, I'll cut it down to 50 players.

Do we have to be active whole time for it to work?
Not really. Once or twice a day should do. Each window will last 23 hours

@KM: I'm willing to work :)

I'm willing to shift to the original draft system if people are hesitant to play this.

mightberight

Hmmm. If we all had unlimited time to play it, it sounds very interesting. But at least from my perspective I can envisage missing out on a lot of players simply because I'm on my course. It's easier just to send in a pre-planned name on the fly when you're busy, rather than engaging in a pretty intense process of how much to bid/who to bid for etc etc.

Still I'm definitely in either way. Just my two cents.

Stretch

My brain's tired today :p, care to expand that with an example? Does each player have a budget? What is that budget? What happens when you've spent your entire budget? What do you mean by:

ie, if the base price is $100 and the particular manager has already got 3 players, he will not be able to bid any amount which would result in a balance of less than $200.
?

Sorry I'm slow today :angel:

Interval

Level
Sheez, have I missed out on this one? Figured I'd beat the lot of you in this :p
You're in.

Hmmm. If we all had unlimited time to play it, it sounds very interesting. But at least from my perspective I can envisage missing out on a lot of players simply because I'm on my course. It's easier just to send in a pre-planned name on the fly when you're busy, rather than engaging in a pretty intense process of how much to bid/who to bid for etc etc.

Still I'm definitely in either way. Just my two cents.
Figured as much. We'll wait for what the other participants want and move ahead like that.

My brain's tired today :p, care to expand that with an example? Does each player have a budget? What is that budget? What happens when you've spent your entire budget? What do you mean by:

?

Sorry I'm slow today :angel:
It means that if you have signed 3 players and bidding for the 4th one, you cannot bid an amount that will leave you with less than 200$. Because I will naturally assume that you will buy the remaining 2 players, ie the 5th and the 6th one at 100$ a piece base price.

NM

If this is going to go into Friday/Saturday, I will have to pull out- I will not be online for 24 hours. If so, please give my spot to somebody else.

Red-Indian

Can't really play this. I'm not as keen on one-day stuffand it's a busy time at work the next couple of weeks.

However if somebody wants an assistant manager to bounce ideas off, i'll be happy to help.

NM

Can't really play this. I'm not as keen on one-day stuffand it's a busy time at work the next couple of weeks.

However if somebody wants an assistant manager to bounce ideas off, i'll be happy to help.
Yes - assistant manager needed - don't know enough about cricket as some of the others here.

Interval

Level
Why don't you make the bidding public? Live auction hours. You can quickly get it done than wait an entire day.
That was my initial plan. But the feck up is that everyone can't be online for the same period for a period of 3-4 days.

Anyways, what is the general consensus on the auction? Yay or nay? Lets start this next week.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
That was my initial plan. But the feck up is that everyone can't be online for the same period for a period of 3-4 days.

Anyways, what is the general consensus on the auction? Yay or nay? Lets start this next week.
Tbh, couple of hours/day for 2 days should be fine. And if you have a coach and assistant per team then you just need one of them for the auction.

Pick on a date well in advance and do it. Ofcourse if everyone likes it but iz would really fun doing it.

Interval

Level
Tbh, couple of hours/day for 2 days should be fine. And if you have a coach and assistant per team then you just need one of them for the auction.

Pick on a date well in advance and do it. Ofcourse if everyone likes it but iz would really fun doing it.
Why aren't you registering?

Varun

Staff
Leave it, read the thread and saw it starts next week. Cant play then.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Do the auction.. I am thinking may be I can fire up a quick web app hosted on wordpress to make it automatic..

Lemme see what I can do.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
What has happened to this then? I saw we ditch the auction and proceed as per norm if auction is going to be too time consuming.

zing

Zingle balls
Yea.. can we start? I was looking forward to it