RedCafe Fantasy Draft League (Like the Yanks)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
DRAFT IS TONIGHT AT 8PM

Evra has kindly set-up an American style Draft League for the coming season, and has asked me to set a thread up to promote this to the kind folks on the caf.

There is a 12 team limit, so first come first serve. The idea is that we have a draft tomorrow at some point and take it in turn to pick players so we have unique teams... beyond that, I have no idea how it actually works... but it'll be fun to find out I'm sure. If you want to join, request the password in here and myself/Evra/RedSky will PM you with it.

Go here to sign-up:

http://www1.fantrax.com/fantasy/home.go?leagueId=f4v9h7d7hkdycnsj

For anyone familiar with fantasy baseball/ fantasy American football this game is the same format applied to the premiership (rotisserie scoring).

12 Teams

We have the live draft on Friday at 3pm Eastern (think that’s 8pm GMT)
The random generator decides who gets the first pick and from there we go through one by one until we have all picked 18 players (3 defenders 4 midfielders 3 forwards and 1gk with 7 subs)

Only 11 players can play in each week (in a 343 formation) and you set your team on Saturday 5 mins before the first game of the week starts.

There are ten categories (below) and each are weighted identically so that it is in a rotisserie scoring system (google it). Essentially at the end of the year the person who has the most goals gets 12 points, then 11 points for the next largest and all the way down to 1 point for the lowest. This is done for all ten categories so the skill is doing well in all of them.

GK's

Clean sheet
Saves

Outfielders

Goals
Assists
Shots on goal
Completed passes
Completed crosses
Tackles
Interceptions
Clean sheets (defenders only)

That’s the bare bones of it, the other thing to note is that we can trade players (because we each have a unique squad) and we can pick up undrafted players by dropping any unwanted players in our squad. Any questions feel free to ask, I've been playing fantasy baseball for the first time this year and I've got to say it's by far the most enjoyable fantasy sports experience I've had, the official premiership game is so tedious and everyone ends up having basically the same team so I think this has the potential to be really fun.

Current Participants (Not in correct order)

1. Evra
2. Annihilate Now!
3. RedSky
4. AldoRaine18
5. Arjwiz
6. Muffledfunk
7. KM
8. Heffo
9. Duffer
10. Damien1990

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
how exactly does this one work? do players have values or you just take it in turns to pick?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
how exactly does this one work? do players have values or you just take it in turns to pick?
Excellent question Mr.Rood sir... and I would love to divulge the answer if I knew it.

I would assume there is no values attached, so you just take it in turns... to be fair, I don't think values matter when you're just picking the best players that are avialable to you.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
League ID : f4v9h7d7hkdycnsj
Password: by pm request
First come first served, at present I have organised the live draft for 3pm Eastern tomorrow. Still tweaking but you can join now, bear in mind I've never done this before so it could be a massive clusterfeck.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Take it in turns to draft, I'll be on here after work (7ish) to explain more fully but at present the draft is scheduled for tomorrow at 3pm ET (Which I think is 7pm GMT).
I could have been interested but not available for any picking tomorrow evening

Excellent question Mr.Rood sir... and I would love to divulge the answer if I knew it.

I would assume there is no values attached, so you just take it in turns... to be fair, I don't think values matter when you're just picking the best players that are avialable to you.
When I first started playing fantasy footy it used to be a bit like this - except that each manager had a budget and there would be an auction for each player, so you might end up blowing half your budget on Shearer but then you'd have very little to spend on the defence and mid.
Then it became popular in the newspapers with player lists etc and everything changed to the online games we have today.

evra

I could have been interested but not available for any picking tomorrow evening

When I first started playing fantasy footy it used to be a bit like this - except that each manager had a budget and there would be an auction for each player, so you might end up blowing half your budget on Shearer but then you'd have very little to spend on the defence and mid.
Then it became popular in the newspapers with player lists etc and everything changed to the online games we have today.

All American fantasy games use a draft system, it's ten times more fun. So we will have 18 players to draft, 12 teams and will take it in turns. If you aren't available for the draft it will pick for you automatically (although most of the fun is in the draft). You will still be able to make trades and pick up free agents after the draft is over.

evra

For anyone familiar with fantasy baseball/ fantasy American football this game is the same format applied to the premiership (rotisserie scoring).

12 Teams

We have the live draft on Friday at 3pm Eastern (think that’s 7pm GMT)
The random generator decides who gets the first pick and from there we go through one by one until we have all picked 18 players (3 defenders 4 midfielders 3 forwards and 1gk with 7 subs)

Only 11 players can play in each week (in a 343 formation) and you set your team on Saturday 5 mins before the first game of the week starts.

There are ten categories (below) and each are weighted identically so that it is in a rotisserie scoring system (google it). Essentially at the end of the year the person who has the most goals gets 12 points, then 11 points for the next largest and all the way down to 1 point for the lowest. This is done for all ten categories so the skill is doing well in all of them.

GK's

Clean sheet
Saves

Outfielders

Goals
Assists
Shots on goal
Completed passes
Completed crosses
Tackles
Interceptions
Clean sheets (defenders only)

That’s the bare bones of it, the other thing to note is that we can trade players (because we each have a unique squad) and we can pick up undrafted players by dropping any unwanted players in our squad. Any questions feel free to ask, I've been playing fantasy baseball for the first time this year and I've got to say it's by far the most enjoyable fantasy sports experience I've had, the official premiership game is so tedious and everyone ends up having basically the same team so I think this has the potential to be really fun.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
All American fantasy games use a draft system, it's ten times more fun. So we will have 18 players to draft, 12 teams and will take it in turns. If you aren't available for the draft it will pick for you automatically (although most of the fun is in the draft). You will still be able to make trades and pick up free agents after the draft is over.
well like you say the most interesting part is the initial picks, if you dont get enough players and need to fill a spot then stick my name in but better it goes to someone who is available tomorrow night

JP77

I want in but Friday is the worst day possible for a draft as I'm out all day and night as...well it's fecking Friday!

If you change it to the weekend then I'm in, but no worries if not mate.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I can give it a go if there's any space left.
Have you been given the password?

I want in but Friday is the worst day possible for a draft as I'm out all day and night as...well it's fecking Friday!

If you change it to the weekend then I'm in, but no worries if not mate.
So the live draft is at 8pm tonight (3pm EDT). Only 6 out of 12 possible spots filled so far but I can limit the size of the league if it comes to that.
We could always miss week one then start from week 2... do the draft midweek sometime. Thoughts Evra?

evra

PM's all sent, hopefully we can get to 12 players before 8pm and have an exciting draft tonight.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that if this is entertaining and you want to play next year you have the option to keep 2 players from your team (in exchange for the two draft spots you picked them in this year). Could be important if you draft well and a player has a breakout year.

Heffo

I've joined. How does the draft work? Is it in a draft lobby like NFL.com or do we just do it in a thread or group chat and the players get assigned to us? How long do we have on the clock for each pick?

evra

Just like the NFL game, on the homepage there is a tab called "draft room". I think it should all be fairly obvious when we start. At present I have the pick times at 1min 30secs but I can still change it if people think that's too short/long. Bear in mind we have to pick 18 players and there are hopefully going to be 12 teams (currently 8).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just like the NFL game, on the homepage there is a tab called "draft room". I think it should all be fairly obvious when we start. At present I have the pick times at 1min 30secs but I can still change it if people think that's too short/long. Bear in mind we have to pick 18 players and there are hopefully going to be 12 teams (currently 8).

If everyone sticks to that, it's going to take 324mins! Doubt we'll be able to get it done in time. :(

I'd put it to 60 seconds pick time. That means it'll take 3 hours 36mins if everyone sticks to the time limit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If everyone sticks to that, it's going to take 324mins! Doubt we'll be able to get it done in time. :(

I'd put it to 60 seconds pick time. That means it'll take 3 hours 36mins if everyone sticks to the time limit.
I'd bet most of the picks will be done in a matter of seconds unless people are deliberately slow.

evra

I agree, although you don't need to run the time down. You can pick in 10 seconds if you want. I'll put it down to 1min though.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Can this be done on a phone? as that is how I'll have to do it most likely.

Also, definitely 8pm?

evra

Also, definitely 8pm?

Not sure, there doesn't seem to be an app but if you have a decent phone and connection I don't see why it should be a problem. At present the draft time is 3pm EDT which is 8pm our time. I can still change it but we don't really have a huge amount of wiggle room considering the season starts tomorrow!

Only 3 spots left now.

Heffo

60 seconds isn't very long to pick a player either though. Could lower the number of teams to 10 if there's not enough interest. That would knock off almost an hour if it was 1 minute 30 seconds per pick. It'll make the draft take a long time but scrambling around for those last few players can be difficult in those time frames.

Have you seen the draft lobby at all? If someone misses a turn does the highest rated player get picked for them like in NFL?

Heffo

Also, definitely 8pm?
I'll probably have to do it from a phone at the start as well so hopefully it can be.

Although if the time was pushed to 9pm I could do it all from a laptop. That would make the draft run quite late though so I'm not sure what peoples thoughts are on that?

evra

Only 2 spots left now

60 seconds isn't very long to pick a player either though. Could lower the number of teams to 10 if there's not enough interest. That would knock off almost an hour if it was 1 minute 30 seconds per pick. It'll make the draft take a long time but scrambling around for those last few players can be difficult in those time frames.

Have you seen the draft lobby at all? If someone misses a turn does the highest rated player get picked for them like in NFL?

If you don't pick it autopicks for you based on our scoring system. I would prefer 12 teams because it gives us a better chance of having more people who stay involved for the whole season. I'm still torn on the time limit though.....