Film Redcafe Film Club, Film 4 - Voting Open until Tues 8th Jan Midnight

Choose your film

• Total voters

Ken Barlow

Welcome to the third week!

This week our forth member @oates has picked 4 films of their choice for you to vote on.

Please see post No. 2 for the details of the films.

The Rules:

* Only members votes will count
* If you’re not a member and want to join drop me a PM and you can be added from the following week onwards
* Voting closes Tuesday 1st Jan at midnight
* Weds 2nd Jan the winning film will be confirmed (although voting is open so it will be apparent earlier than that)
* Once the winner is confirmed on Weds 2nd Jan, you’ll have a week to watch and post your comments/review
* I will post details of how to watch the winning film and be available by PM to help with any tricky ones
* If you do happen to watch early, please post your review/comments in spoiler tags
* Also on Wednesday 2nd Jan our fifth member @Olly will submit 4 films of thier choice for people to vote on

@jojojo thanks very much for putting a poll up last week bro - and also bumping the thread for last minute voters. Very much appreciated. Could you please add a poll this week too?

Ken Barlow

Picks by: @oates

Option 1. Train to Busan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700672/
Option 2. Kill List https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788391/
Option 3. Southbound https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4935334/
Option 4. The Babadook https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/

This weeks picks, the theme is films to make you scared or anxious!
”Between Christmas and New Year it's time to burn some calories with some simple hiding behind the sofa exercises.”

1. Train to Busan (2016) - IMDB Rating 7.5/10
“My current favourite zombie film, high speed dead people!”

2. Kill List (2011) - IMDB Rating 6.4/10
From the Director and writer of Free Fire

3. Southbound (2015) - IMDB Rating 5.9/10
“'...delivers more than its fair share of pulpy, grisly thrills...

4. The Babdook (2014) IMDB Rating 6.8/10
“'I've been meaning to give this a chance. Some decent reviews (98% on Rotten Tomatoes but what do they know?) so maybe nows the time.“

Last edited:

Ken Barlow

Rota for picks:

Member 1: @VeevaVee ✅
Member 2: @esmufc07 ✅
Member 3: @Mystry ✅
Member 4: @oates ✅
Member 5: @Olly
Member 6: @Pexbo
Member 7: @The Cat
Member 8: @SalfordRed18
Member 9: @broccoli
Member 10: @Arbitrium
Member 11: @Tommy
Member 12: @Ubik
Member 13: @Jake
Member 14: @Snowjoe
Member 15: @Tarrou
Member 16: @Heardy
Member 17: @20solskjaer
Member 18: @Igor Drefljak
Member 19: @Amar__
Member 20: @BD
Member 21: @Rooney in Paris
Member 22: @Yagami
Member 23: @Wedge
Member 24: left
Member 25: @botond
Member 26: @P-Nut0712
Member 27: @Raees
Member 28: @RedRazor
Member 29: @UnrelatedPsuedo
Member 30: @decorativeed
Member 31: @RedTiger
Member 32: @jojojo
Member 33: @Archie Leach
Member 34: @crappycraperson
Member 35: @vangagal
Member 36: @ThierryHenry
Member 37: @Ian Reus
Member 38: @Cascarino
Member 39: @Invictus
Member 40: @Jim Beam
Member 41: @Eckers99

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good work Ken, so far!

My only gripe would be it might be moving a bit fast? Maybe better to slow it down a bit?

I've not even managed to watch Leon yet and we've decided the one after and now we're deciding this one! Might provoke more chat too.

Maybe I'm just a slow bastard though.

Ken Barlow

Good shouts, let’s give fortnightly a go.

Changed the date on the thread to allow 2 weeks. Plus this allows more time to get the formatting of the review trailers right.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah I've not watched Leon yet but obviously it's been xmas week. Planning on watching tomorrow.

The Babadook is crap! Nothing happens!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yeah I've not watched Leon yet but obviously it's been xmas week. Planning on watching tomorrow.

The Babadook is crap! Nothing happens!
Spoiler!

I don't care though. I like Aussie films where nothing happens, but it does really. In fact I've just read some reviews (I voted based on the trailers and summaries) and I like the sound of it even more now.

Anyway, I got about 5 minutes into the movie described as the "animated prequel to Train to Busan" and lost interest in the whole concept of zombies. :lol:

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Spoiler!

I don't care though. I like Aussie films where nothing happens, but it does really. In fact I've just read some reviews (I voted based on the trailers and summaries) and I like the sound of it even more now.

Anyway, I got about 5 minutes into the movie described as the "animated prequel to Train to Busan" and lost interest in the whole concept of zombies. :lol:
People rave about Seoul Station but I don't understand that, completely different and unenjoyable. Try The Suspect which although not a Horror film or anything to do with zombies is terrific with many of the same actors. Don't write off Train to Busan but do vote for The Babadook since I haven't seen it!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Perhaps the christmas period made it harder for some to get involved, it certainly did for me. Be cracking on with last weeks film though, voted babadook, been meaning to watch it.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sorry for the late vote, but hey, I voted for a film that has no chance in winning, anyway :D

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'm going to watch The Babadook as well anyway but I'm definitely looking forward to reading other people's take on Train to Busan.

decorativeed

I didn't even notice the thread for the third film, to be honest. I'll try and catch up on the previous two and will give this one a skip, as I've got zero interest in zombies and modern horror.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Given that Busan won by a mile, I'm anticipating lots of reviews in here. :smirk:

So speaking as someone not much interested in the genre (my favourite zombie movie is Shaun of the Dead) I did watch Busan all the way through and not on fast forward either.

I liked the overall plot, the way a random choice to travel on a particular day has huge implications. I liked the last glimmers of humanity that the zombies show (mind you, I liked that in Shaun as well).

The characters respond predictably - the key men cooperate to save the key women and children; the filler characters are cannon fodder; the zombies have a rather random weakness to exploit. The fight sequences are repetitive and make the movie drag in parts but then this isn't my genre.

The final scene as our survivors walk out of the tunnel towards the soldiers ends the movie well - leaving open the questions of ultimate survival and what's happening elsewhere. The choices made by people like the train staff, trying to guess what to do based on hints from phone calls etc worked. The scenes I liked best were the "infected but not yet zombies" moments as loss and sacrifice are at their peak and even if I mentally tuned out during the fight sequences, I didn't actually physically hit the remote.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Has Olly been yet? Have we had week 5 choices?

I voted for Busan - but I've been so busy over Christmas and New Year etc I haven't had time to watch it. Hopefully will this week.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'll have to accept that the choices may not have inspired but I hoped they'd be a bit of fun. However people don't seem to be putting any effort in and I admit I didn't watch one film one week myself because we were so busy. Maybe it is the wrong time of year?