Film Redcafe Film Club, Week 1 - Moonrise Kingdom

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I can't stand this guy's films. Just doesn't click with me at all. The atmosphere or anything.

Deleted member 101472

wasn't impressed, it has a few scenes i just don't want in my movies

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I really appreciate and enjoy the cinematography, the style of the film. That I liked, and to be honest, I didn't dislike the film itself. Just felt the adult characters were pretty bland which is a shame, and perhaps the story was lacking a bit.

I enjoyed it overall, my gf loved it. Think it the story needed to be a bit more compelling I guess. 6.5/10.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This has not gone well so far. The reviews are fecking terrible though. 1/10 for those, apart from SalfordRed who gets 3/10 but I felt it lacked character

decorativeed

I've seen Moonrise Kingdom three or four times now. I love Wes Anderson's Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Grand Budapest Hotel and Fantastic Mr Fox, and while the style and dialogue in this are similarly good, it just seems so forgettable. None of the scenes stick in my mind after watching it.

It's enjoyable enough, but it's missing something. Possibly due to having such a large ensemble cast, with no real adult lead, and a very simple storyline, it ultimately seems inconsequential.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't think much of it to be honest, endured rather than enjoyed but there were some fun moments. Lot of big name adult actors who seemed mostly ineffective as their roles demanded. Bill Murray present as usual in a Wes Anderson Film, Frances McDormand as Bruce Willis' married love interest with a bigger chin than Bruce wasn't my cup of tea but I really enjoyed her in Three Billboards, and everyone usually raves about her so probably my fault. Wes Anderson always seems to contrive different rules of living in his films which I guess was helped by taking place on an island during 1965 which few of us remember or lived during but the young actors were very good even if they were found very easily after going on the run and later getting married. Particularly enjoyed the storm and Harvey Keitel taking the brunt of it. Pissed that the dog was shot and died. Would give it a miss another time.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Wasn't impressed. 3.5/10.

Didn't see the point of casting big name actors and not doing anything decent with them. It was well shot but I'd never re-watch it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's Wes Anderson, so in a way you know what's coming. In this case, that's scenes that look as if they came directly from a postcard or an old photo album, and a structure that actors seem to enjoy. The story is told as a series of brief sketches. The continuity comes from how it looks rather than the narrative.

It's the kind of movie that invites you to just settle down and get into its mood, and that side of it worked for me. But the characters remained the postcard characters - i accepted the stereotypes they represented, but didn't feel connected to any of them.

The snippets of wry humour (like in the kids discussion of the glamour of being an orphan) don't make it a comedy. The characters and the story don't build enough tension or connection for drama. The love story does capture a certain awkward, nostalgic sense of childhood and of holiday romance.

In the end it looked beautiful, the vaguely nostalgic yet out of time and place atmosphere worked for me. I'm glad I watched it. I doubt I'll watch it again, unless someone else wants to see it.

Ken Barlow

I liked it, it’s funny and awkward and beautiful. It genuinely felt like a children’s film, dubbed with adult humour, which I guess was the whole point. The production design as always with Wes Anderson is on a higher plane.

Also, the dialogue was superb, my favourite quote:
Sam: Why do you consider me your enemy?
Redford: Because your girlfriend stabbed me in the back with lefty scissors.
Sam: She's my wife now.
Redford: Congratulations!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Liked this a lot. Begins in such a Wes Andersony way (it's like, how much more tracking shot can it be? The answer is none. None more tracking shot.), but even amidst my eye-rolling I was already enjoying it. Concur with jojojo that it doesn't do enough on the comedy or drama front to say it excels in either area, the characters are thin, it's not as entertaining as Grand Budapest, nor does it contain one of my single favourite things ever such as the school play version of Serpico from Rushmore, but it does have that mood to it that just makes it enjoyable throughout, which to be fair is one of my favourite genres of film. I wont watch it again for a few years, but eventually I will and I'll enjoy it again.

I also think there exists a Wes Anderson Cinematic Universe, basically populated by different versions of Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman.

I liked it, it’s funny and awkward and beautiful. It genuinely felt like a children’s film, dubbed with adult humour, which I guess was the whole point. The production design as always with Wes Anderson is on a higher plane.

Also, the dialogue was superb, my favourite quote:
Sam: Why do you consider me your enemy?
Redford: Because your girlfriend stabbed me in the back with lefty scissors.
Sam: She's my wife now.
Redford: Congratulations!
Suzy - Was he a good dog?
Sam - Who's to say?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So I watched it.

Typically Wes - aesthetically lovely. The colours palettes were great. I enjoyed it for it's quirky light heartedness. I agree with the person who said that it wasn't captivating though. It seemed to run out of steam a bit half way through. His films aren't going to give you gripping tension, more of a case of wanting to watch on because it's interesting and easy. I think this just didn't hold that for me throughout.
Not my favourite of his by a long way, but above and beyond most films and it's great that not everything is shiny Hollywood tosh.

On a full scale I'd give it 7.5/10. On @P-Nut0712's Caf Film Club high calibre scale I say 2.5/5.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Wes Anderson being a bit too Wes Andersonny that it's almost a parody of a Wes Anderson film. That's not to say there aren't enjoyable things in the movie but most of it just feels flat. Mostly hindered by two leads who aren't that good playing two characters that aren't that interesting. Probably my least favourite Anderson film along with Darjeeling Limited.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
So we watched it as big fans of Wes Anderson’s other stuff and was surprised that we had never seen this!

Overall as many have said it is very Wes Anderson. Similar with his film style and the colours who chooses in the background.

The storyline is very whimsical and easy going. Would definitely recommend as a rainy day film where little attention is required.

No real depth to characters but this didn’t bother us.

Rating 7/10

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I finally watched this last night and I loved it, I could wank myself silly to the colour palettes and shot compositions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I finally watched this last night and I loved it, I could wank myself silly to the colour palettes and shot compositions.
Yeah, I love that shit.

I think if you don't then you probably just won't like WA films that much.

botond

re watched this last night . loved the film style and color . The story was boring and the pace slow , characters shallow .

botond

i actually watched all 4 recommendations , all the other 3 where more captivating