g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Redcafe Sheep Draft - Chesterlestreet vs Gio

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide the winner in this fantasy game contested between two sides assembled through the method of drafting. For the purpose of this game, all players would be considered as being at their respective peaks. I invite all posters to go through the formations, tactics and arguments that will follow in the thread and kindly leave their vote. Thanks.

Chesterlestreet's tactics

Tactics
There's nothing fancy about these tactics. It's simply a matter of playing to the strengths of the players I have at my disposition. Amoros and v. B'horst will provide outlets out wide when the opportunity arises - but they won't continually push forward. In that sense they will act more like old school fullbacks than the modern kind. When defending you can imagine them tucking in a bit, making the gaps between CB and FB smaller - Fergie's old formula, if you will.

The midfield trio will keep possession (something they are ideal for - the Red Star lads aren't easy to dispossess) while aiming to get to ball up to the forward trio. Larsson is dangerous from anywhere around the box. Caniggia is exceptionally dangerous from a wider position on the right: He will lurk out there, waiting for the ball (both a shorter pass from either Larsson or Stojkovic - or Prosinecki - or a long ball from Albertini could be very effective here, as Caniggia will use his deadly speed to make himself available. Lineker will do what he does best: Remain a constant threat in the area, preying on anything that might come his way.

It's a team capable of hitting the opponent on the counter (the Albertini-Caniggia connection strikes me as particularly potent here, but both fullbacks are also more than capable of bombing forward when called upon) - but also of building up play through the middle, capitalizing on the dribbling and passing strengths of the Red Star duo, both of whom are excellent at beating their man and carrying the ball into dangerous areas, where Larsson, Caniggia and Lineker all provide different outlets for lethal short passes.

My plan here is to gain an advantage, not necessarily an early lead, but to get ahead at some point before the 60th minute. When this happens I will sit back and ride it out. The Rock of Gibraltar will come on for Lineker, who has done his job (grabbing a poacher's goal from a parry gone astray - hardly an unlikely event) and the team will look something like this:

With Amoros/v. B'horst now as wingbacks - and Caniggia lurking in a free role to the right - I'm more able than ever to punish my opponent on the counter. But the main idea in this phase is nevertheless to defend my lead and ride it out. The new CB trio (with the best keeper in this draft behind them) will be important - but also the technical proficiency of my midfield men, ideally suited for keeping possession to the increasing frustration of my opponent, who needs the ball as much as possible.

That's it. 2-1 win is what I predict here.

PLAYER PROFILES

Team Chesterlestreet

Team Gio

Gio's tactics
I expect our midfield to exert control of the match. Davids and Simeone are fiercely competitive all-rounders who will provide the platform for the attacking trio of Claudio Lopez, Michel and, the best player on the park by some distance, Rivaldo, to show off their quality. That's a tasty and talented five that marries physicality (Davids and Simeone's bite, Piojo's pace), technical ability (all five) and mental qualities (Rivaldo's vision, Simeone's resilience, Michel's creativity) to form a balanced midfield. I can see a lot of strain placed on Chester's three midfielders to deal with them. Davids and Simeone will be instructed to close down any advances from Stojkovic or Prosinecki.

Chester has three proper strikers who I rate so I'm glad to call upon four proper defenders to cover them. Bergomi, Campbell, Carboni and Panucci are a robust and uncompromising quartet who will run a tight ship.

One particular route to goal will be Christian Vieri getting on the end of Michel's crosses. As much as I love Gio Van Bronckhorst (hence the username), he wasn't the greatest left-back defensively and Michel's creative and crossing ability could be a productive way in. If Aldair has a weakness it is in the air (see Kluivert beasting him in the 1998 World Cup Semi) and that's where Vieri - the all-time highest scorer of headed goals in Serie A - could pounce.

As the best player on the park Rivaldo has the right players around him to fire on all cylinders. Two grafting ball-winners to do the dirty work, the sheer pace of Claudio Lopez to stretch the play (see the same role played by Overmars, Carlos), the right-sided invention and wide play of Michel (see the same role played by Luis Figo), and a proper target-man-cum-centre-forward in Christian Vieri (see Kluivert or Ronaldo).

Looking forward to this as I'm fond of a number of Chester's boys.

Player Profiles

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And we're off. I have some business to attend to - so I won't be around that much to begin with. Will stop by later this evening, though.

Good luck, Gio - should be an interesting match!

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Close one this, hard to choose a winner. If Chester gets the right support from his fullbacks, I can see Caniggia doing some damage with Prosinecki/Stojkovic troubling Davids/Simeone and the two forwards keeping Gios CBs occupied. Chester is going to need Albertini to play the game of his life when Gio has the ball though.

On the other side, if Lopez can get in behind Amoros and run at Costacurta, I think it could spell trouble for Chester. Especially with Davids' forward runs going largely unchecked due to Albertini having his hands full with Rivaldo (Prosinecki was a fairly lazy player wasn't he, not known for his graft? Or do I just think that because he smoked a pack a day?)

Anyway, I was tempted to vote Gio right away because I absolutely LOVE Rivaldo and Davids. But that would be a bit unfair on Chester, so I'll wait till tomorrow and read some other opinions before I make my decision.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Gio has a great spine. I expected Chester to build a mean midfield when the Milan theme started shining through early on. Looks a mixed bag right now, which is surprising given how he kept picking men unchallenged. Looking forward to hearing from him.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Gio's team is excellent. That central six is as good as it gets really.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Has to go to Gio. Albertini though a creative force there is no mitigant to Rivaldo. If he a D.Baggio beside him, it would even things out much, but with current midfield set up, Gio will have a obvious advantage. Davids/Simeone takes some breaking through and I'm not sure chester's players can do that!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, true. I've been pretty busy and Chester I think is on his deathbed with the flu.

Polaroid

sorry chester, going for gio with the balance in his superbly crafted side

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Chester did great with the drafting and bagged some of my favourite players from the early 90s but Gio has put together a ridiculously strong spine. Bergomi/Davids/Rivaldo/Vieri is just top notch, and his supporting cast is very complementary too. Vieri is huge for me in drafts. His peak was fairly long (he maintained a scoring record of a goal every two games or better for 7 seasons on the trot), and his physical threat was unique. In his best seasons he seemed near-unstoppable, without necessarily playing for top-class sides at club level. I loved his link up with Baggio around 1998 for Italy, and there's no reason he shouldn't replicate that with Rivaldo. Flanking him with Michel was a great move too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I loved his link up with Baggio around 1998 for Italy, and there's no reason he shouldn't replicate that with Rivaldo.
I was seriously tempted to bag Baggio when he was still available deep into the draft to renew that partnership. But couldn't justify Rivaldo and Baggio competing for the same space. It wouldn't do either of them justice.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I was seriously tempted to bag Baggio when he was still available deep into the draft to renew that partnership. But couldn't justify Rivaldo and Baggio competing for the same space. It wouldn't do either of them justice.
If there's a way to shoehorn Roberto Baggio into a team I'm generally all for it, but I agree it would have been overkill in this case. As it is, your front four has a lovely variety and width to it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Shame Chester couldn't be around more. Kept waiting for his input :(

Hope he is OK.