The First Redcafe Sheep Draft

Moby

Dick
How are some of you showing the arrows on the formation graphic? This11 seem to charge for that
No it charges if you wanna customize the arrow.

The default arrows are free. Just select a straight line one, and drag the arrow shown in the box on top to the pitch.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Been down with the bloody flu for days - which means I haven't been been able to participate in the match threads at all.

This to explain my not voting to the managers - you've done great as far as I can see from browsing briefly through the matches already finished.

Anyway, I'm feeling slightly better now. Will have a scotch and try to get a write-up done now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Player profiles:
Goal keeper:

Peter Schmeichel

Needs no introduction round these parts. One of the best keepers of all time. A keeper whose presence on the pitch was more formidable than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schmeichel

Defenders:

Alessandro Costacurta

One of the greatest defenders ever. A crucial component in the AC Milan back four many regard as the most impressive line of defense in the history of European football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Costacurta

Aldair

One of the greatest defenders in the history of Brazilian football. An intelligent and versatile central defender whose skilful use of both feet will complement the more stopper-like Costacurta brilliantly. A given starter for Brazil in two World Cup finals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldair

John Mensah

The Rock of Gibraltar. An excellent defender whose true quality should be measured by his performances for his country, rather than by his club career that never really took off. Capped eighty times (to date) for Ghana, he was close to captaining his side to a World Cup semi-final in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mensah

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

A versatile and technically proficient full back, offensive yet disciplined. Capable of playing as a full back, a wing back or a side midfielder. A World Cup finalist for Holland in 2010 he is also a la Liga winner, a Premier League winner and a Champions League winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_van_Bronckhorst

Manual Amoros

One of the best fullbacks of the 1980s, an important member of the great France teams in the '82 and '86 World Cups (voted best right back in the latter tournament) and of course the team that won the 1984 European Championship. He is also - by all means - a Champions League winner for Marseille.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Amoros

Midfielders:

Demetrio Albertini

An immensely focused and disciplined midfielder. Especially adept at occupying a deeper role, performing defensive off-the-ball duties (tracking and marking runners) while at the same time having a passing range that few in his generation could match. A long passer of rare quality, he could feed runners both left, right and centre, ideal for starting sudden, devastating counter attacks. If Pirlo is considered a defensive midfielder of sorts, Albertini should be considered a Pirlo with much more natural defensive nous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrio_Albertini

Robert Prosinečki

Technically superb midfielder known for his dribbling ability and elegance, bordering on the arrogant style wise, some would say, but fantastic to watch in his pomp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Prosinečki

Dragan Stojković

Another technically brilliant Red Star legend, a creative, attacking midfielder who was also a considerable goal threat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragan_Stojković

Forwards:

Claudio Caniggia

Aptly nicknamed "Son of the Wind" Caniggia was undoubtedly one of the fastest players to ever play at the very highest level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caniggia

Henrik Larsson

Described by many as a complete striker, Larsson's finishing (both with his feet and his head), link-up qualities and - not least - intelligence on the pitch were all first rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Larsson

Gary Lineker

A natural born goal scorer. One the greatest poachers in the history of English football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lineker

Last edited:

Polaroid

Manuel Neuer
The most complete and best goalkeeper in the world today

William Gallas
Quick, relentless and incredibly tough to beat at his snapping snarling best

David Alaba
Stupendously talented and exciting player, bountifully blessed with pace, technique and intelligence

Mat Hummels
Formidable defensive man-mountain who is equally at home dispossessing opponents of the ball as he is distributing it to teammates

Rio Ferdinand
Bobby Moore with Rolls Royce engine, Rio was untouchable as the best defender in the world throughout the second half of the noughties

Emmanuel Petit
Classy French enforcer with a biting tackle and a cultured left foot

Fernando Redondo
Argentine grandmaster who schooled an entire generation of midfield greats

Zinedine Zidane
Poetic footballing artist and fiercely competitive winner who dominated the biggest theatres in breathtaking and awe inspiring fashion

Gareth Bale
Explosive pace, devastating directness, flawless ball-striking technique and most importantly, excellent end-product

Brian Laudrup
Insanely gifted Danish wizard who weaved such dazzling magic leaving opponents with wide eyes, dropped jaws and floundering limbs.

Samuel Eto’o
Born to score, such natural instincts and seemingly effortless talent, screamers, tap-ins, headers, volleys, he scores them all

Sub: İlkay Gündoğan

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Player Profiles

That picture probably will tell you more than words can, but here's a bit more about a team heavily inspired by the great German sides from the 90's:

Goalkeeper:
Oliver Kahn. One of the greatest goalkeepers of the last decades with countless career defining games for Bayern and Germany. The hero in Bayern's CL win in 2001 and the only goalkeeper who won the golden Ball at a Worldcup for his incredible performances in 2002.

Defenders:
The ever reliable Stefan Reuter on the right, equally comfortable as a right back and right midfielder. A calm presence and smart player with brilliant game reading, who complemented his somewhat angry teammates incredible well throughout his career. The two outstanding defensive players in Germany's worldcup win in 1990 as the centerbacks. Jürgen Kohler excelled in every team he played in, won countless trophies and is considered one of the greatest stoppers to ever play the game. The loyal Guido Buchwald, the only worldclass German defender who didn't go to Italy. He played centerback, libero or defensive midfielder and was brilliant in all those roles. His last minute header in '92 won Stuttgart the league title, when he played next to Matthias Sammer, who will join him in my team in his Ballon d'Or winning libero role, that saw him lead Germany to the Euro win in '96 and one year later Dortmund to the CL win. The lightning quick Christian Ziege will play on the left. 7 years of great service for Bayern saw him peak in '96 when he won the UEFA cup with Bayern, followed by strong performances at the Euro, in which he assisted the equaliser late in the final, that took the game to extra time, in which Germany won the game.

Midfielders:
Stefan Effenberg took over as the leader in midfield after Bayern's tragic loss in the final in '99, became even stronger and more influential and captained Bayern through an outstanding campaign, that saw the club finally win the CL in 2001 for the first time since the 70's. His teammate Mehmet Scholl will join him, quick, skillfull, a great dribbler with vision. Sadly he struggled with injuries throughout his career, but when he was fit, he caused every opponent problems, brilliant counterattacking player and freekick taker. Next to them as a central midfielder Toni Kroos, who despite being only 24 years old has already 41 caps for Germany and is a crucial part of Bayern Munich for 4 years now.

Attack:
Jürgen Klinsmann, who captained Germany to the Euro win in '96, upfront with Thomas Müller as the 2nd striker in a free role that will see him drift around the whole pitch. That's a hard working striker combination, if I ever saw one. Both complement each other wonderfully and have scored crucial goals for club and country. They won't necessarily create goals on their own, but they will be in the right place at the right time often enough to decide games.

Moby

Dick
Nice write up Balu.

Can I just say, I absolutely adore Klinsmann, I have all the time in the world for him. What a juggernaut. Give me a bit of Klinsi anytime and I'm a happy man. You can make a movie of just his celebrations and I'll book the whole theatre to watch it.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nice write up Balu.

Can I just say, I absolutely adore Klinsmann, I have all the time in the world for him. What a juggernaut. Give me a bit of Klinsi anytime and I'm a happy man. You can make a movie of just his celebrations and I'll book the whole theatre to watch it.
I know, it's brilliant. Thomas Müller is applauding him for his celebration here, not for the goal. That's btw. the most beautiful Klinsmann celebration ever, the one after he scored against the Netherlands in '90, assisted by a brilliant piece of skill from Guido Buchwald on the left wing. :drool:. We call Buchwald 'Diego' for a reason, but I tell more about him later in the game ;).

VivaJanuzaj

Nice write up Balu.

@AldoPaine18 how does the reinforcements work in this draft? randomizing the order? and how many picks for each player?

Moby

Dick
I know, it's brilliant. Thomas Müller is applauding him for his celebration here, not for the goal. That's btw. the most beautiful Klinsmann celebration ever, the one after he scored against the Netherlands in '90, assisted by a brilliant piece of skill from Guido Buchwald on the left wing. :drool:. We call Buchwald 'Diego' for a reason, but I tell more about him later in the game ;).
Haha, nice. Looking forward to the game.

VivaJanuzaj

@Balu as our German expert, I have to know, who do you rate higher at peak - Schweinsteiger or Ballack? This question really bothers me a lot, I can never get a decision

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Balu as our German expert, I have to know, who do you rate higher at peak - Schweinsteiger or Ballack? This question really bothers me a lot, I can never get a decision
In CM? Schweinsteiger. Ballack 2002 probably edges it individually, but I never would want to build a side around Ballack 2002. It's difficult though, I'm still a bit clueless on where Schweini stands in the game. His 2010 season with the worldcup and the treble winning season were tremendous, yet I still felt it's wrong to include him in my All time Bayern XI. I hope Schweinsteiger gets back to his best now and avoids more injuries in the next 2 years, then we probably have a clearer picture of him.

I don't think you need a German expert to make that judgement though, we've probably all seen enough of both players to form an opinion and wouldn't be surprised if other German posters on here disagree with me. After all I might be slightly biased towards Schweinsteiger, because Ballack is a cnut and the transfer drama around him when he wanted to leave Bayern was slightly annoying.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Aldo called you the favorite earlier in this thread, so I don't feel any pressure :D.

Polaroid

Aldo called you the favorite earlier in this thread, so I don't feel any pressure :D.
Ah I didn't know that, I am glad he likes the team I assembled, very lucky there with Zidane and Redondo. My concern is others may not rate the likes of Eto'o and B. Laudrup like I do.

kps88

This should be our closest game so far. The rest have gone as predicted.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I actually expect to loose, so don't get my hopes up, ffs :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Andreas Kopke

At one time considered to be one of the best goalkeepers in world football. His calm, safe and reassuring presence was a key factor in Germany winning the Euro 1996, as he conceded no goals in the group stage and made famous penalty saves against England and Italy. He was named goalkeeper of the tournament and finished in 13th place for the Ballon d’Or that year. He would go on to collect numerous other individual honours, including FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year, UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year and German Player of the Year. He was named German Goalkeeper of the Year on seven occasions and was eventually named as “German Goalkeeper of the Decade”.

Cafú

One of the greatest fullbacks of all time, he gained world renown for his endless energy, determination, leadership and outstanding attacking ability. Brazil’s most capped player with 142 appearances (including 21 World Cup appearances), he is also one of the most decorated players in the history of football. His international career saw him win two World Cups and finish second in a third, as well as winning the Copa America on two occasions. Highlights from his club career include winning the Champions League and claiming the Serie A title, UEFA Super Cup, Supercoppa Italia and Copa Libertadores on multiple occasions. He remains the only player to appear in three Wold Cup Finals and has been described as the prototype of the modern fullback.

Miguel Angel Nadal

A key part of the famous Barcelona “Dream Team”, he was widely recognised as one of the great defenders of his generation. Nicknamed “The Beast”, he combined tremendous physical play, aerial ability and leadership with an excellent level of awareness, shooting and distribution that allowed him to play in a variety of positions across defence and midfield. Tough and skillful, he captained Barcelona and represented his country at three World Cups and a European Championship. He finished his club career having won five Spanish titles and the European cup.

Carlos Gamarra

Known for his excellent aerial ability, tackling and leadership, he was one of South America’s most respected defenders. He became his country’s captain and most capped player, featuring in three World Cups. His superb displays in the 1998 World Cup saw him named on the team of the tournament and he was twice named Paraguay’s player of the year. His club career saw him win trophies at Internacional, Corinthians and Inter Milan amongst other clubs.

Leonardo

An extremely versatile player whose intelligence, passing range, creativity and playmaking skills allowed him to reach an exceptional level at left back, midfield or on the wing. He established himself as key player for Brazil and several club teams including Sao Paulo, Valencia, PSG and Milan. He first came to international prominence in Brazil’s 1994 World Cup winning side, making the left back position his own despite challenge from Roberto Carlos. He would go on to play a key role in the Brazil team that won the 1997 Copa America and made it to the final of the 1998 World Cup. His illustrious club career included winning the Serie A and Copa Libertadores as well as several other trophies.

Claude Makelele

One of the greatest defensive midfielders of all time, his influence was so profound as to make his name synonymous with the holding midfielder role. He came to prominence as a key part of the Madrid side that won two La Liga titles and the Champions League, establishing him as the best holding midfielder in the world. Regarded by his teammates Zidane, McManaman and Hierro as “the engine”, “the most important player” and “the best player” of the team, he was signed by Chelsea to be the “battery” of their new side. He went on to play a key role in the successful Chelsea years that followed, with Mourinho declaring him Chelsea’s best player during their Premier League winning 04/05 season, one of two league titles he would win at Chelsea. His unique combination of positional sense, timing, clean tackling, decision making, intelligent passing, vision and ability to both defend and initiate attacks saw him consistently credited by his club and international teammates as one of the greatest players they had played with.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Michael Essien

Widely recognised as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation before his career was curtailed by injuries, he was a true box to box midfielder, able to support both defence and attack to an outstanding level. His dynamism, energy, physicality, pace, power and tactical awareness allowed him to establish himself as one of the best midfielders in Europe, winning two Premier League titles and three FA Cups. His individual brilliance was reflected in three nominations for FIFA World Player of the Year and winning Chelsea’s Player of the Year for the 06/07 season.

Cesc Fabregas

Currently one of the best midfielders in world football, his outstanding talent saw him become Arsenal’s youngest ever first team player. His amazing passing range, vision, creativity and understanding of timing and space quickly saw him become the creative core of the side. His brilliance in this role established him as one of the most talented young players of his generation, winning the Golden Boy and the PFA Young Player of the Year. He would go on to captain Arsenal and would feature on the PFA team of the year twice. His exquisite talent was equally recognised by his national team, for whom he became the youngest player in 70 years and their youngest ever player to feature in the World Cup. He became a key part of the Spanish side, earning a place on UEFA’s Team of the Tournament for both Euro 2008 and Euro 2012.

Kaka

One of the three outstanding talents of his generation, he became a superstar during the early to mid noughties. A quick, composed, balanced, creative and skillful team player who was capable of both creating and scoring goals, he was the key component in the AC Milan side that won several trophies over the course of the decade, including the Serie A and Champions League. During this period he displayed supreme passing, vision, shooting and dribbling ability. His superb talent was reflected in his individual achievements, including being named Serie A Footballer of the Year twice, being named on the UEFA Team of the Year on three occasions, Champions League Best Midfielder and finishing as top scorer in the 06/07 Champions League. He won the Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year in 2007, having been previously nominated for both awards on several occasions.

Jari Litmanen

One of the best attacking players in the world in the early 90’s, he was a star of the great Ajax team that won three consecutive Dutch titles and appeared in two Champions League finals, winning one. He was the club’s outstanding striker in this period, scoring 24 goals in 44 European matches and finishing as the Champion’s League top scorer in 95/96. Over the course of his seven years at Ajax he would score 129 goals for the club. He was voted the league’s best footballer in 1993 and came third in voting for the Ballon d’Or in 1995, having finished eighth the previous year. Frank Rijkaard would later remark “Dennis Bergkamp was brilliant for Ajax but the best No. 10 we ever had was Jari”. This skillful, intelligent creative goalscorer would go on to captain his national team, for whom he is considered their greatest ever player.

Ruud van Nistelrooy

The 4th highest goalscorer in Champions League history, he forged a reputation as one of the game’s elite strikers during spells at PSV, Manchester United and Real Madrid. A predator of outstanding consistency, he was three times Champions League top scorer as well as a top scorer in three different European domestic leagues. After firing PSV to two league titles he moved to Manchester United, where an amazing 150 goals in 219 games would establish him as one of the club’s greatest ever strikers. Here he would win a Premier League title, FA Cup and League Cup, as well as carving out a place in the club’s history as their top European goalscorer of all time. By the time he left United for Madrid he had been named United’s player of the year twice, PFA’s Player’s Player of the Year in 2002 and on UEFA’s team of the year in 2003. His time at Madrid was disrupted by injury problems, yet he still managed to score 64 goals in 96 appearances, helping Madrid to two La Liga titles.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I should be an easy draw, none of the players that really would improve me have gone out :(

Moby

Dick
Right so this prediction is based on nothing but team sheets, so far.

Jayvin vs Thisistheone
Edgar Allan Pillow
vs Snipers Breath
Cutch vs sullydnl
crappycraperson vs Pippa
MJJ vs VivaJanuzaj
Stobzilla vs antohan
Balu vs Polaroid
Chesterlestreet vs Gio
Spot on so far. :cool:

You see anto, this is how it's done. :D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I should be an easy draw, none of the players that really would improve me have gone out :(
Well, I'm the only one remaining not playing a 4-2-3-1 if I remember correctly. with the hype around width, I should be more worried.

@AldoPaine18 Is it 3 or 4 reinforcements this time? Hope you have a blockbuster mode for the picks! Starts tonight?

Moby

Dick
REINFORCEMENTS
All the managers will pick 2 players from the teams that were knocked out in the first round. It will be in a normal draft format with 2 rounds.

The managers who progressed forward were regrouped according to the number of sheep they acquired in the draft. As follows :

Thisistheone
Cutch
Edgar Allan Pillow

antohan
Gio
Pippa
Polaroid

VivaJanuzaj

After that the lists were randomized and put together. This is the order for the reinforcements draft :

Edgar Allan Pillow
Cutch
Thisistheone
Pippa
antohan
Gio
Polaroid
VivaJanuzaj

You all can start picking now.