Redcafe Sheep Draft Final - Gio vs Thisistheone

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I never said that playing him behind a number 9 would reduce his effectiveness, who ever did can own up to that.

Your second point covers it why he would be less effective in your system compared to when he played upfront for Liverpool. Even when he was plying with Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinhio were often as high up as him and he still was a big part of their build up play from the left. Rather than Sterling or others finding him up top, it was him creating chances on his own or creating chances for them. Can he play the role he has been asked to in your team? Yes of course. Would he best suited to that role or be at his best in that role? Not in my opinion, he won't
Fair enough, it has been said a lot though and to be honest there probably is some truth in it. Where is Suarez' best position?.. He was incredible as the number 9 and is now incredible as the deeper striker. He can really do both roles.

Hmm I understand what you are saying but Suarez was amazing at Liverpool when he had the goalscoring burden - like I said some people have said that moving him deeper gets less out of him. Some people are saying one thing "He needs to be the goalscorer", others have said the opposite "you need him to create". IMO he can do both, we've seen him as a number 9 and as a second striker and he's been the best in the league in both positions.

Here his role is more about goalscoring than it has been when he normally plays from the left - simply because Totti will vacate that space and Suarez would just run into it. But that doesn't make him a worse passer or stop him influencing the game creativity - it just provides opportunities for him to exploit in behind the defence.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Any comment on why Cavani is better in this role than Suarez, when it has been the opposite internationally?
Don't think they ever played the way your team was playing here, so I don't see why that's relevant? I think - as usual :lol: - the problem is what we would want from the player in that position, so we disagree on what player we want there. In general, I think you rate individual class over complementary partnerships a lot more than I do, so I'm not surprised that you take Suarez over Müller here. I'd want a cohesive unit here, you want the option of an additional individual able to create something on his own. That's btw, why I rate Müller so highly. I'd say he will help Totti to perform to the best of his ability, while I can't ever see Suarez doing that despite adding something different. Of course, you could argue that the team is still better with Suarez in it, fair enough I guess :).