Redcafe Sheep Draft QF2 - Cutch vs Thisistheone

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide the winner in this fantasy game contested between two sides assembled through the method of drafting. For the purpose of this game, all players would be considered as being at their respective peaks. I invite all posters to go through the formations, tactics and arguments that will follow in the thread and kindly leave their vote. Thanks.

Cutch's tactics
Tactics
Formation: 4-3-3

Nothing too complicated about this team or the tactics they'll be adopting in this game. Just good players playing in their best positions in a system that gets the best out of every single one of them. Pace, power, passion.

Lineup
Fullbacks
Both attack minded, blisteringly quick and get up and down the pitch all game. Alves in particular is a devastating attacking weapon.

Centrebacks
A good mix. Puyol is a fully committed blood and thunder type defender whereas Hierro is the calming influence with the ability to play it out from the back.

Defensive Midfielders
Renowned 1994 World Cup wining brazilian pairing. Will form a wall infront of the defence.

Attacking midfielder
One of the best players of his generation. His Balon d'or and World Player of the year performances in 2007 was probably as memorable a peak as any in the last 20 years. Staying in relatively close attendance infront of the DMs to be able to receive the ball to feet to start his runs from deep.

Widemen
Two Barcelona powerhouses who will run themselves into the ground. Stoitchkov with the explosive shot and acceleration and Luis Enrique with the drive, heading ability and cool finishing.

Striker
Master predator Romario. One of the greatest strikers of all time.

Main tactic
Soak up pressure and counter attack
The first thing to accept is that TITO will have more possession in this game. With the extra body in the centre of midfield, and Paul Scholes presence in there that much is a given. Football is not won on possession stats though, and so the plan will be to use this to our advantage,

The personnel at my disposal is absolutely tailor made for counter attack football. With a robust centre defence and centre midfield, explosive pace in wide areas and through the middle, and a goal scoring phenomenon, this will be by far the most devastating route to goal.

Soak up pressure
Let TITOs team pass it about in their own half. Let them advance into our half. Make sure we have a compact shape to make us difficult to play through. Make sure runners off the ball are followed. Get the 2 fullbacks to tuck in slightly to deal with the runs outside to in from Suarez and Savicevic.
The majority of play will be going through the middle in to the feet of TITO's talisman Totti, the player the whole teams been built around. Totti hadnt accounted for such a formidable pairing in Silva and Dunga to be patrolling his space infront of the back 4 however. Stop the supply in to his feet, win the ball back and attack at breakneck speed.

Start of counters
Hierro and Dunga will launch the quick counters from Defence and Midfield respectively, and the aim will be to have as quick a transition from defence to attack as possible.

Counter 1
Kaka is one of the best exponents in recent years at running from deep against a stretched defence. He can take 2 or even 3 players out of the game with a sharp turn or a burst of pace. If the side can work itself in a position like below, where an opposition fullback (in this case Cafu) is in the opposition half and the ball can be won back and quickly distributed to Kaka, TITO's defence is in trouble. Scholes and De Rossi would likely be ahead of the ball at this point also.

Kaka has 4 main options to attack
1Pass to Stoitchkov. The most likely option. Stoitchkov peels wide and hopefully attracts the attention of Ferrara. He either runs at Ferrara, attacks the touchline and puts a ball in to front post Romario/back post Luis Enrique or slips in Romario early who's hopefully escaped Montero.
2Slips in Romario. The most direct route. Not the easiest but with Romario's movement and Kaka's execution (see Crespo 2nd goal v Liverpool), theres every chance it could happen.
3- Slips in Luis Enrique. Not shown the best on the graphic but theres a chance this ball could also be on. Luis Enrique has the drive and power to run into space in the channel between Montero and Pessotto and if he gets a chance he is as likely as any man to take it.
4Runs at Makelele. Again not the easiest. Makelele is great at what he does. However probably no one better than Kaka to run at and commit a player through the middle. If he can escape the attention of Makelele, TITO's defence is probably fecked.

This attack could just as easy be the mirror image with Pessotto ahead of play and Luis Enrique providing the width, Stoitchkov attacking the back post. Thats the beauty of having wide attackers such as this that can go both ways.

Counter 2
Counter 1 is arising from quick ball to Kaka and attacking through the middle but counter 2 takes advantage of the likely number advantage out wide, and the willingness of the 2 fullbacks to join the attack. If the ball can be worked out to the 2 fullbacks and they can attack down the side, hopefully a player will have to come out of defence to deal with this threat. With the movement of the front 4, chances should be able to be carved out via this route.

Key matchups
Goalkeepers
Nothing to choose. Both solid but not quite at Buffon/Casillas levels.

TITO's attack v My defense
TITO's attack will generally look to attack through the middle, as there will be no genuine width from Savicevic and Suarez and Totti in the false 9 will obviously frequent this area.

The more mobile Puyol will play right sided centreback incase he's ever needed to help cope with the tricky Suarez coming inside. Generally the back 4 will look to be compact with the fullbacks tucked in slightly and the wall of M Silva and Dunga infront resulting in an extremely congested area for TITO to attack through.

Centre Midfield
TITO will have a good chunk of possession here with Scholes in the side, so the focus will be on covering the off the ball runners that Scholes will be aiming for, and being set up with a shape to counter attack effectively. Kaka is my attacking outlet through the middle and so has no real defensive responsibility. TITO will likely assign Makelele to man mark which will help to an extent but Kaka's a player that you can't keep quiet for a whole game.

My attack v TITO's defence
Probably the biggest mismatch. Romario, the best player on the pitch will surely have too much movement and acceleration for Ferrara/Montero with the latter a serious risk of ending up with 2 yellow cards (this also applies to Scholes).

I have the 1994 World Player of the Year Romario, the 1994 European Player of the year Hristo Stoitchkov, and the World and European player of the year Kaka. TITO's attack, great players that they are don't have a peak to match that of which mine have had.
Subs
Defensive option - Ivan Helguera
Midfield option - Gaizka Mendieta
Attacking option - David Villa

Team Cutch

Team Thisistheone

Moby

Dick
Thisistheone's tactics
FORMATION

A 4-3-3 formation with Totti replicating his unique false 9 role, dropping deep to utilise his exceptional passing range whilst retaining a goal threat up top – demonstrated in his 32 goal 2006-07 season.

BRIEF TACTICS

Very few footballers offer what Totti does – a striker with the creativity, technique and passing of a true number 10. Without a doubt one of the games greatest players, Totti’s legacy would be even greater if he had left Roma for bigger sides. He has complete freedom to roam and pull deep, dragging defenders and creating space for the inside forwards to exploit.

In the wide positions Suarez and Savicevic + Cafu and Pessotto offer fluidity and movement, with a direct threat that compliments Totti, Scholes and Deco. They will look to get behind the defence with diagonal runs, using their pace and dribbling to offer a direct threat.

In midfield Makelele sits deep behind Deco and Scholes as the two technicians pass and move, spraying balls across to Cafu, down the middle to Totti’s feet, or directly over the defence to feed Suarez.

The central back three formed a rock solid cornerstone of Juventus’ most dominate side since the 80’s – dominating Serie A and reaching three Champions League finals in a row.

'The king of Rome'

ATTACKING FLEXIBILITY

The interplay between Deco/Scholes/Totti allows the team to dominate possession, or alternatively attack directly with pace and feed quick passes through to the likes of Savicevic. All three are technically proficient at keeping the ball, yet all three also played in counter attacking/direct sides.

For United Scholes would constantly slow down the tempo and make seven or eight short passes, before suddenly spraying a 40 yard pass to initiate an attack. Likewise at Barcelona Deco controlled the play from midfield, but also constantly initiated counter attacks for Ronaldinho/Eto’o/Henry.

TWO PLAYERS NOT TO BE UNDERRATED

Deco – Often gets perceived as a typical attacking midfielder or number 10, when he was actually an exceptionally hardworking central midfielder at his peak, dominating the midfield as a central midfielder in a 4-3-3 at Barcelona – a precursor to Xavi and Iniesta.

Voted the best midfielder in Europe - Deco came second in the 2004 Ballon d’Or to Shevchenko, was twice voted the Best midfielder in the world by UEFA and was Barcelona’s Player of the Season when they won the Champions League in 2006 – ahead of a peak Ronaldinho.

Savicevic - One thing that made Savicevic such a unique talent was his incredible dribbling ability. One of the finest in a generation, Dejan could carry the ball, change direction at great pace, twist defenders, pulling even the most well drilled teams out of their comfort zone. Savicevic is a player of real class and in 1991 finished second in the Ballon d'Or.

Thisistheone

Lovely write up Cutch.

Some points i wrote but didn't post to Aldo:

Some Key points

1. It needs to be made extremely clear that Deco played as a central midfielder. He came 2nd in the Balon D’or as a CM, in this system.

2. Another key point which almost merges with point 1 is that Makelele sitting behind Scholes and Deco offers the rock solid base that will free-up the two central midfielders & allow them both to concentrate on what made them the brilliant central midfielders they were.

3. Totti excelled in this false 9 role, in a 433. In this draft there is no player who can perform the role better. He will bring the best out of others around him, which is a key point. And provides a slick link between midfield & attack.

4. Luis Suarez work-rate up front is important as it allows Totti to play his natural game while the side doesn’t suffer overall from a lack of pressure up top.

5.Cafu offers the side a whole new dimension in attack and combined with the addition of Makelele, the side is even more capable now to hit on the counter attack.

6. The heart of the defence is the Juventus back line of the 1990’s. Proven at the highest level - successful connections are vital since they offer the team a chemistry that is usually lacking in drafts.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

Very interesting matchup this, two teams who seem to be built to fight against one another - with Makalele's pick to counter Kaka and Deco-Scholes starting against the two DMs, While Stoichkov vs Cafu is a brilliant battle.

@Cutch I agree very much on your comments regarding Stoichkov on the break against romaing Cafu and exploiting that space, but why should it be any different in the Suarez vs Alves case, or for that matter the Savicevic vs Sergi?

@Thisistheone The way I see it, Totti's influence of the match will be somewhat reduced because if he comes deep to receive the ball he'll move into a well packed area with Dunga-Silva, and that's a major problem for you here, how do you plan to get the best of Totti here?

And a question for both managers, how much freedom roaming will both teams' full backs get?

The one thing for sure, TITO will dominate possession and Cutch will counter here, Kaka is the perfect fit for one side while Scholes is perfect on the other. Need some more thought..

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
feck off Edgar :p
:lol:

I always fancied posting the first analysis, but never did apart from the post block!

Very interesting matchup this, two teams who seem to be built to fight against one another - with Makalele's pick to counter Kaka and Deco-Scholes starting against the two DMs, While Stoichkov vs Cafu is a brilliant battle.

@Cutch I agree very much on your comments regarding Stoichkov on the break against romaing Cafu and exploiting that space, but why should it be any different in the Suarez vs Alves case, or for that matter the Savicevic vs Sergi?

@Thisistheone The way I see it, Totti's influence of the match will be somewhat reduced because if he comes deep to receive the ball he'll move into a well packed area with Dunga-Silva, and that's a major problem for you here, how do you plan to get the best of Totti here?

And a question for both managers, how much freedom roaming will both teams' full backs get?

The one thing for sure, TITO will dominate possession and Cutch will counter here, Kaka is the perfect fit for one side while Scholes is perfect on the other. Need some more thought..
Yup. My first thoughts too!

Inital thoughts break even, though I like Tito's attacking style better. Not sure if it is good enough to win this game though! More thinking required.

Sadly no drinking tonight, so will have to cope up the hard way!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Both very well set up. While Makelele looks perfect for the setup and the rival at hand, I can't shake off the feeling the weakest link in that side has been left there and is bound to be exposed.

Thisistheone

@VivaJanuzaj Yeah it's a really facinating battle for sure. So many good match-ups and individual battles.

In regards to Totti, it's interesting. Scholes--Deco are up against Dunga and Silva so with Totti dropping in, there is an extra man here. I think it allows Scholes and Deco to concentrate more on playing and worry less about defence since they're up against two DM's. In the last match Scholes and Deco had to worry about Seedorf, Baraja and Boban. More attack-minded players.

Thisistheone

Both very well set up. While Makelele looks perfect for the setup and the rival at hand, I can't shake off the feeling the weakest link in that side has been left there and is bound to be exposed.
It was certainly thought over at length but in the end we decided to stick to our guns and let Scholes-Deco play together. I really think this match-up suits them better than Jayvin's midfield diamond did. Plus Makelele is now sitting behind them.

VivaJanuzaj

@VivaJanuzaj Yeah it's a really facinating battle for sure. So many good match-ups and individual battles.

In regards to Totti, it's interesting. Scholes--Deco are up against Dunga and Silva so with Totti dropping in, there is an extra man here. I think it allows Scholes and Deco to concentrate more on playing and worry less about defence since they're up against two DM's. In the last match Scholes and Deco had to worry about Seedorf, Baraja and Boban. More attack-minded players.
I'm not worried for Scholes & Deco's defensive tasks, they'll be fine with those, the thing I'm worried about is Totti dropping deep and with Hierro(who is as capable as it gets to follow a false 9 deep into the pitch), you'll simply overload that middle area and make it too crowded, especially when both yours and Cutch's tactics are for you to keep possession, so I see Dunga and Silva perfect there to make Totti to either stay as the 9 or over-crowd the area outside that box..
I do think it will be very tough for Cutch to take the ball from you, and think you're defense is perfectly capable of dealing with counters and overall much much better.. My problem is tactics basically

Moby

Dick
Leaning towards Cutch here. He seems to be setup well to soak up the pressure TITO will through at him. Lack of a proper striker means his CBs will not be under much pressure despite TITO dominating possession and can have the time to react to the combination play from his midfield and attacking players. Suarez as well, imo, is better when running into space and isolating players in 1v1 and hasn't been that effective when teams have packed a defense in front of him. This season as well, he's been at his best when they play on the counter.

On the other hand I'm seeing a lot more threat from Cutch on counters. He's got four absolutely devastating players to execute that, an exceptional passer in Hierro to initiate counters quickly and with TITO's players committed in attack most times, the space is going to be plenty.

VivaJanuzaj

It was certainly thought over at length but in the end we decided to stick to our guns and let Scholes-Deco play together. I really think this match-up suits them better than Jayvin's midfield diamond did. Plus Makelele is now sitting behind them.
Defensively you will have no problems with the midfield area, from open play I think Cutch will have a really tough time creating anything, and you did the right choice not playing De Rossi or Mascherano, just afraid that you'll have a problem in attacking too..

VivaJanuzaj

Leaning towards Cutch here. He seems to be setup well to soak up the pressure TITO will through at him. Lack of a proper striker means his CBs will not be under much pressure despite TITO dominating possession and can have the time to react to the combination play from his midfield and attacking players. Suarez as well, imo, is better when running into space and isolating players in 1v1 and hasn't been that effective when teams have packed a defense in front of him. This season as well, he's been at his best when they play on the counter.

On the other hand I'm seeing a lot more threat from Cutch on counters. He's got four absolutely devastating players to execute that, an exceptional passer in Hierro to initiate counters quickly and with TITO's players committed in attack most times, the space is going to be plenty.
Don't you think Suarez will cause Alves as much damage as Stoichkov will cause Cafu? I don't see any difference there.. But I basically agree, just not leaning anywhere yet because TITO has a brilliant defensive line, a much better than Cutch's... Tactically Cutch might cause problems to TITO though. Not sure I'm leaning yet.

Thisistheone

I'm not worried for Scholes & Deco's defensive tasks, they'll be fine with those, the thing I'm worried about is Totti dropping deep and with Hierro(who is as capable as it gets to follow a false 9 deep into the pitch), you'll simply overload that middle area and make it too crowded, especially when both yours and Cutch's tactics are for you to keep possession, so I see Dunga and Silva perfect there to make Totti to either stay as the 9 or over-crowd the area outside that box..
I do think it will be very tough for Cutch to take the ball from you, and think you're defense is perfectly capable of dealing with counters and overall much much better.. My problem is tactics basically
Fair points. It could definitely get crowded in the middle. I think Totti would pick up on this pretty quickly and stay further up with Suarez and Dejan going wide to stretch things. Or Cafu who can have a big influence from the right.

VivaJanuzaj

How much freedom will Cafu get to go forward with Stoichkov breathing in his neck?
I also wonder how much roaming will Alves do

Thisistheone

How much freedom will Cafu get to go forward with Stoichkov breathing in his neck?
I also wonder how much roaming will Alves do
Ignoring attacking thought, I see Cafu as a better Defender than Alves. Which could prove vital.

Annahnomoss

Two brilliant teams and great effort from both managers. I've read both OP's and can't see any real flaws with either that would get exposed.

Have a feeling it will come down to the discussion in the thread. Cafu and Alves job like VJ points out is incredibly interesting to follow. An interesting point to consider is what happens if TITO suddenly wants to soak up the pressure instead? Dunga-Silva-Kaka are all very well suited for the counter-attack game rather than handling the play.

antohan

voted for @Cutch. don't rate a lot of TITO's attack and midfield too.
Mmmmm... I've actually been mulling over the opposite... Dunga and Mauro is becoming a regular "WC winning pair that will be a wall in midfield". But you don't see people scrambling to get either, do you? There's a reason they are so easily put together as a pair of late picks... Or are we all fools?

They actually did have a good World Cup together, as part (albeit not the sole part) of a strong defensive unit relying on Bebeto-Romario to bring the goals. Very much what Cutch is proposing.

They weren't that brilliant either side of it, and were generally lambasted as too negative and limited by the Brazilian media. Still, when you try think about WC-winning central/defensive midfield pairs you don't come up with anything significantly better in this era:
  • 1986: Batista and Enrique (+Giusti and Olarticochea wide)
  • 1990: Matthaus (+AMs and WBs but largely him as dedicated one)
  • 1994: Dunga and Mauro (+Branco and Mazinho)
  • 1998: Deschamps, Petit and Vieira/Karembeu
  • 2002: Kleberson and Gilberto (+Edmilson as anchor/3rd CB)
  • 2006: Gattuso and Pirlo (+ support from the wide players or De Rossi)
  • 2010: Bunch of crazy midgets + Busquets
If you allow for different playing styles, how France could overkill because they had Zidane, Matthaus being banned to oblivion... It's only Gattuso-Pirlo which may have proved a better fit, but with Hierro joining the defence, Dunga and Mauro should be well suited to their role in this game.

antohan

I was referring to your leftback.

VivaJanuzaj

Ignoring attacking thought, I see Cafu as a better Defender than Alves. Which could prove vital.
Yes of course, but Stoichkov is equally as better attacker than Suarez. I think the gaps between Cafu-Alves & Stoichkov-Suarez are similar, that's why I pointed out these two matchups to be incredibly interesting. And that's why it's a big deal for me asking both you and @Cutch how much freedom will both of them be given to bombard forward like they both like?

antohan

Suarez as well, imo, is better when running into space and isolating players in 1v1 and hasn't been that effective when teams have packed a defense in front of him. This season as well, he's been at his best when they play on the counter.
I'd agree, he doesn't look half as good when playing against packed defences. That said, in those cases he isn't easy on the eye but does successfully get loads of fouls tallying up in dangerous areas.

Who would take those free kicks Tito?

antohan

Was messing about and came across this. Probably being completely overlooked here. What a player :drool:

1:10, makes it look so easy...

Thisistheone

I'd agree, he doesn't look half as good when playing against packed defences. That said, in those cases he isn't easy on the eye but does successfully get loads of fouls tallying up in dangerous areas.

Who would take those free kicks Tito?
Totti :drool:

And Pessotto is a good left back, especially next to his team-mates of 10 years.

I think Sergi would have a tougher time against Savicevic, its a re-run of the 1993-94 Champions League final.

Moby

Dick
Don't you think Suarez will cause Alves as much damage as Stoichkov will cause Cafu? I don't see any difference there.. But I basically agree, just not leaning anywhere yet because TITO has a brilliant defensive line, a much better than Cutch's... Tactically Cutch might cause problems to TITO though. Not sure I'm leaning yet.
There's a difference between the two. Due to Cutch sitting back and defending in numbers Alves will have ample support, and Suarez usually cuts inside so he will be running at this CBs more than isolating Alves. If Suarez goes out wide just to exploit the space left by Alves out would not cause any harm for Cutch. While on the other hand I see it a lot more individual battles and more importantly Cutch's players are absolutely potent in counters. Pushing up against that unit with Hierro launching counters is heavy work for most defensive units. Stoichkov doesn't need to take on Cafu the whole game, he's not an out and out winger anyway, and those four breaking together would simply occupy the space left due to Cutch's players pushing up instead of running into defenders. It's well suited to bring the best out of them imo.

The biggest problem for Cutch obviously is that if TITO scores first and decides to pull the shutters down, his threat would be reduced considerably.

Thisistheone

Lots saying I will be dominating possession - but its important to note this side can do BOTH. Quick and slow tempo. Suarez and Savicevic are excepionally direct. Savicevic inparticular might dribble past two or three players and open the whole thing up. Suarez we all know about.

This from the OP:
ATTACKING FLEXIBILITY

The interplay between Deco/Scholes/Totti allows the team to dominate possession, or alternatively attack directly with pace and feed quick passes through to the likes of Savicevic. All three are technically proficient at keeping the ball, yet all three also played in counter attacking/direct sides.

For United Scholes would constantly slow down the tempo and make seven or eight short passes, before suddenly spraying a 40 yard pass to initiate an attack. Likewise at Barcelona Deco controlled the play from midfield, but also constantly initiated counter attacks for Ronaldinho/Eto’o/Henry.
This side can counter very well itself.

Thisistheone

Yes of course, but Stoichkov is equally as better attacker than Suarez. I think the gaps between Cafu-Alves & Stoichkov-Suarez are similar, that's why I pointed out these two matchups to be incredibly interesting. And that's why it's a big deal for me asking both you and @Cutch how much freedom will both of them be given to bombard forward like they both like?
Well its hard to say exactly how much freedom but obviously my right side is going to be a huge source of joy for me. It could be that Dejan goes past Sergie once or twice, enough to make a goal say, then after that Cafu doesn't need to bomb forward as much but Alves goes. So i guess what I'm trying to say is, as Aldo already mentioned, the first goal in this game would be huge.

antohan

Interesting, wasn't quite sure who I would have myself.

And Pessotto is a good left back, especially next to his team-mates of 10 years.

I think Sergi would have a tougher time against Savicevic, its a re-run of the 1993-94 Champions League final.
Pessotto will have trouble with Luis Enrique aerially though. Montero would have to keep an eye on that but, as you say, he was used to and well aware of Pessotto's shortcomings.

It's a fair point. In fact, that goal at 1:10 in the clip I posted is the one he scored in that final. Also pretty much made the first goal all by himself. Absolutely cracking player Savicevic, I don't get this "it will be congested and won't find a way through". Scholes and Deco passing + Savicevic-Suarez-Totti movement, dribbling and one touch play.

Yeah right... It was only last game that Cutch didn't want to sit back because he didn't trust Alves to be very good at actually defending in a four.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Interesting, wasn't quite sure who I would have myself.

Pessotto will have trouble with Luis Enrique aerially though. Montero would have to keep an eye on that but, as you say, he was used to and well aware of Pessotto's shortcomings.

It's a fair point. In fact, that goal at 1:10 in the clip I posted is the one he scored in that final. Also pretty much made the first goal all by himself. Absolutely cracking player Savicevic, I don't get this "it will be congested and won't find a way through". Scholes and Deco passing + Stoichkov-Suarez-Totti movement, dribbling and one touch play.

Yeah right... It was only last game that Cutch didn't want to sit back because he didn't trust Alves to be very good at actually defending in a four.
Didn't know Stoichkov switched sides. :p

Moby

Dick
By the way @antohan what do you call in Spanish to a player that occupies the CBs? Referencia de something no? It's the lack of that that is troubling me a bit here.

antohan

If Suarez goes out wide just to exploit the space left by Alves out would not cause any harm for Cutch.
There's about 35 metres either side of the penalty spot. It seems we often have players either hugging the line and being 35 metres away or automatically on the penalty spot and congesting it all.

Suárez can be quite effective cutting inside on Alves, then cutting back into a vertical/diagonal somewhere between the edge of the box and the six-yard box, and then either dragging the keeper onto him if he's lost Puyol and shooting/crossing, or if he Puyol onto him dribbling/cutting back into the box and again shoot/pass options. Don't see how that badly encroaches on Totti or Savicevic.

antohan

Didn't know Stoichkov switched sides. :p
Obviously meant Savicevic. My thoughts betrayed me, I was actually thinking right then how brilliant a generation that was for Eastern Europe: Stoichkov, Hagi, Savicevic and that Red Star generation... Incredible. What happened?

Annahnomoss

Obviously meant Savicevic. My thoughts betrayed me, I was actually thinking right then how brilliant a generation that was for Eastern Europe: Stoichkov, Hagi, Savicevic and that Red Star generation... Incredible. What happened?
War and instability. They are just starting to build back their talent pool, but many areas there are still suffering from instability.

antohan

By the way @antohan what do you call in Spanish to a player that occupies the CBs? Referencia de something no? It's the lack of that that is troubling me a bit here.
Aye, "referencia de área". It's not just about occupying the CBs but providing a focal point for the attackers, be it to target him or because that players' position acts as a pivot for the movement to drag defenders around. Without that it is all a lot more reliant on those front three finding a good sync and not all going off into solo missions.

Mind you, not giving that defence a reference point may be a great coup. Both Sergi and Alves aren't in any way players you would rely on for a concerted soaking effort. I'd argue Puyol himself would be prone to being rash at times in that setting. The only one who is comfortable there is Hierro, but with his defence going walkabout and nothing concrete to organise it around... Could be a massive challenge.

It's interesting Tito has the best defence for soaking and Cutch the one for pushing up and taking some risks. I don't see why Tito would have to over-commit forward, just control and run the game and, if he scores first, just sit, soak and counter which he is actually better set up for than Cutch overall.

Last edited:

antohan

War and instability. They are just starting to build back their talent pool, but many areas there are still suffering from instability.
Yes, I imagined the war had something to do with it in former Yugoslavia. I was there only weeks after the war finished and it was really scorched earth stuff.

Romania, Bulgaria, Poland themselves... No wars there.

Annahnomoss

Yes, I imagined the war had something to do with it in former Yugoslavia. I was there only weeks after the war finished and it was really scorched earth stuff.

Romania, Bulgaria, Poland themselves... No wars there.
Soviet union disbanded which caused a massive instability in the nations you mentioned and the entire Eastern Europe. Even more so as Yugoslavia were in a war and of course a war affects the near neighbors stability to a great extent as well.

The Golden era from Eastern Europe was during the time they belonged to the Communist side of the cold war. Most nations are still a work in progress but they have reached a point where they can provide brilliant talent in sports again.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm leaning towards Tito. Totti dropping between the DM's and CB's is going to cause confusion and with Suarez hovering around, one of Scholes passes will definitely split the defence. So I think Tito will have at least one goal in the match.