Redcafe Snooker

ChrisNelson

I thought we'd seen the end of the idiot crowds at Ally Pally when the darts finished, but for as long as Ronnie can pick up a cue you will always get that.

It's even worse in London unfortunately.

That was a vital frame to win for Ronnie but Robertson at the table and on a break already in frame 4.

Ronnie looked like he'd set his stall out with his first shot of the match where he missed the red by miles, it nearly jumped off the table and he stuck an easy one up for Robertson.

0le

It's even worse in London unfortunately.
I noticed it too. I thought it was just me getting old and not keeping up "with the times" of the modern day snooker audience. I have no problem with the claps and additional support Ronnie gets but the "gwaarn" from a minority of the audience did irritate me for some reason!

Pablo76

I noticed it too. I thought it was just me getting old and not keeping up "with the times" of the modern day snooker audience. I have no problem with the claps and additional support Ronnie gets but the "gwaarn" from a minority of the audience did irritate me for some reason!
Is it a ‘minority’ or actually just the same one guy every time? It is a bit cringeworthy.

Wilt

John Higgins has lost 4 stone ….looks like Shaun Murphy has found it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The crowd do seem a bit 'darts' even without Ronnie. Fecking London.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The crowd do seem a bit 'darts' even without Ronnie. Fecking London.
It’s the new direction for snooker. Exciting innit? The only difference is the referee and stewards have been told to have a higher tolerance for it.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Some frame to start with tonight, great pot on blue by Hawkins, 1-0 Barry v Trump.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Really enjoyed the match this afternoon. Proper 50/50. Genius from MJW earlier on and then and grit from Robertson.

Probably a fair result overall with the 2 flukes.

Wilt

Congratulations Neil Robertson.

Though must be said a very disappointing final, Barry Hawkins completely outclassed.

Parma Dewol

Williams vs. Hawkins might have been interesting too.

Shame the final ended up being so one sided after such an enthralling week. I was rooting for Hawkins seeing as he’s never won any of the triple crown events, but credit to Robertson, played some cracking snooker and proved a deserving winner.

Bertie Wooster

Delighted for Robertson.

Every tournament begins with my preference for the winner in this order: Jack Lisowski, Judd Trump, Neil Robertson.

The first never happens and is just wishful thinking. But I get to see plenty of wins from the others and it was great to see Robertson claim another Triple Crown.

I was hoping for a Robertson - Trump final, but the S/F's provided such great drama and that Robertson - Williams final frame was a classic!

ChrisNelson

Lisowski has as good a chance this weekend as he will ever get at winning a ranking event!

It's the 2022 Shootout from Thursday to Sunday! For anyone unfamiliar with the tournament it's basically an open draw and all matches are 1 frame, 10 minutes per frame with a 15 second shot clock for the first 5 minutes after which it reduces to 10 seconds. One ball must hit a cushion on every shot unless a pot is made.

Lisowski has drawn Ben Woollaston in the first round which is a tough draw, if there is such a thing in what is really a lottery as to who will win.

Other interesting matches see Ali Carter vs. Matthew Stevens, Sunny Akani vs. David Gilbert, Ding Junhui vs. Barry Hawkins and Luca Brecel vs. Joe Perry.

Bertie Wooster

Impressive from Stan Moody this afternoon.

Of the youngsters coming through, I'm especially looking out for his performances. And also Paul Deaville, who plays tonight.

I also enjoyed watching the Belgian, Julien Leclercq, in a couple of tournaments last season.

Which younger players, not yet on the main tour, do others rate / hope to see get on the tour?

Bertie Wooster

An enjoyable first day of the Shoot Out.

Some decent matches, and, personally, especially pleased to see victories for Lisowski, Moody and Deaville.

The only big negative for me is the overuse of that spinning camera angle. I hate it. For two reasons. I'm prone to balance / headache issues and watching that camera work for hours does it no good at all. I also find it really difficult to gauge the trajectory of the balls, and the positioning for the next shot, or if the ball passes another, etc. So I find the 'fancy camera work' makes for a less effective way of following the game.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
An enjoyable first day of the Shoot Out.

Some decent matches, and, personally, especially pleased to see victories for Lisowski, Moody and Deaville.

The only big negative for me is the overuse of that spinning camera angle. I hate it. For two reasons. I'm prone to balance / headache issues and watching that camera work for hours does it no good at all. I also find it really difficult to gauge the trajectory of the balls, and the positioning for the next shot, or if the ball passes another, etc. So I find the 'fancy camera work' makes for a less effective way of following the game.
Agree with that - I don't suffer those but I hate the look of it.

ChrisNelson

Zhao 9-0 Yan in the final of the German Masters.

Huge disappointment as a neutral and only the third whitewash in ranking event final history.

Not much more else to say!

ChrisNelson

Players Championship this week (on ITV4 in the UK).

Started yesterday with wins for Mark Williams and Neil Robertson.

Because of how the qualification and seeding system work, Ronnie O'Sullivan will face Judd Trump tonight in the first round!

Gilbert v Yan is the pick of the afternoon matches.

sallycinnamin

Well done Hawkins standing up from that Robertson onslaught. Terrific 137 and at 5-3 back in this final.

ChrisNelson

Robertson having a fantastic season. But we've been here before with him, he's the man to beat going to Sheffield but then has a bad session and bombs out.

Will be interesting to see if he can become a multiple World Champion.

Speaking of World Champions, Nutcharat Wongharuthai is the new Women's World Champion, coming from 3-5 down to win 6-5 in the final against Wendy Jans.

She earns a 2 year card on the main tour from next season, joining Ng On Yee and Reanne Evans (who both surprisingly lost in the semi-finals) who will be on the second year of theirs.

Bertie Wooster

Another Chinese player in a final, with the possibility of another all Chinese final.

It's always been a matter of when, not if, but it really feels this year is the biggest step so far in the inevitable Chinese dominance of the sport. :(

Time seems finally to be catching up with the 40+ year old British players. With Ronnie still just about hanging in there when he's up for it. And even the likes of the 30+ Selby, Trump, Allen, Lisowski are in slumps.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What is it about snooker ? Why haven't they adopted Football in the same way yet.

Bertie Wooster

Another clear sign of the changing world of Snooker. :(

China have all the advantage with wealth, power, population (so potential audience figures as well as increased numbers of future competitors).

As soon as most of the top stars are Chinese, then all the major tournaments will be based there. Hearn will probably sell the sport to them anyway. Either way, they won't want a sport dominated by China to carry on having big tournaments in York, Sheffield, Coventry, etc.

It's felt like a slow death for the last decade or so as the young Chinese players flood onto the circuit and work up the rankings, while age catches up with the top 16. But this season, the shift in power is really gathering pace.

cyberman

Another clear sign of the changing world of Snooker. :(

China have all the advantage with wealth, power, population (so potential audience figures as well as increased numbers of future competitors).

As soon as most of the top stars are Chinese, then all the major tournaments will be based there. Hearn will probably sell the sport to them anyway. Either way, they won't want a sport dominated by China to carry on having big tournaments in York, Sheffield, Coventry, etc.

It's felt like a slow death for the last decade or so as the young Chinese players flood onto the circuit and work up the rankings, while age catches up with the top 16. But this season, the shift in power is really gathering pace.
Why is this considered a death? I watch snooker and couldn’t care less where anybody is from

Bertie Wooster

Why is this considered a death? I watch snooker and couldn’t care less where anybody is from.
From a personal point of view, I meant. I don't want one rich, powerful country to just take over a sport and completely dominate it. Especially if it moves the sports base to the other side of the world, with matches played at inconvenient (for me) times due to the time difference, etc. A midday game in Beijing would be 4am here in the UK. That's something I'm hoping doesn't happen too regularly. But the more China players dominate, the likelier it becomes.

The same as I'm sure you'd hear plenty of complaints about 'The Americanisation of Snooker' and 'Damn Yanks taking over', if US players were flooding the circuit and the US money likely to mean most competitions moving there.

I don't want China to do that either. But it's clearly happening.

Last edited:

Parma Dewol

On the flip side, I've often thought that Asian players are at a disadvantage when the 'World' championship is always held in the UK.

The UK Championship should always be here, of course, and the Opens should take place in their respective countries, but it would be nice to see the World Championship become more global. China deserves to host one in my opinion, as do the likes of Australia and Canada.