Redcafe's favourite Manchester United players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Teddy read the game like few others. He just got it. Ridiculously talented in that regard. Could have played in any team in the world in my opinion.
And yet for me, would be the least favourite of those four strikers at the time. What a strike force we had.

26. Jaap Stam

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
26th Jaap Stam
33 points

Premier League Appearances - 79
Overall Appearances - 125 (2)
Premier League Goals - 1
Overall Goals - 1
Position - Centre Back

In the summer of 1998, Jaap Stam was signed from PSV. He had just turned 26. The tall imposing defender would go onto be one of the best defenders recognised at Old Trafford. The fact he spent only three years at the club and yet still got this many votes is testament to the talent of the big Dutch man.

"What a beast" - Zinedine Zidane

Stam made his debut in August 1998. We kept a clean sheet. 12 months later, in his first season in English football he helped Manchester United win a treble. He was voted the best defender in Europe. He was a thorn in the side of many Premier League forwards.

“I have my ways… I can stop them.” Jaap Stam when asked about how he was going to stop Arsenal's impressive attacking talents

In the three years he played for Manchester United he won three premier league trophies. An absolute rock at the heart of United's defence he would often single handedly keep opposition attackers from the United goal. He was fantastic in the tackle, deceptively quick and refused to be bullied by anyone.

“Without Jaap Stam, Sir Alex would still be Alex.” - BBC commentator Mike Ingham.

After three years and a troublesome autobiography Stam was shipped out of Old Trafford aged 29. The defender had been somewhat criticised for his performances after an Achilles injury and Ferguson was not happy with some controversial quotes in his autobiography. Nevertheless, the fact that he is this high on the list despite only playing at the club for three seasons and the fact he won a premier league every single season he played at the club means Stam is still sung about on the terraces of Old Trafford to this day.

Yip Jaap Stam is a ....

Van Gaalacticos

Seeing as we're discussing our favourites here's a memory I have of Jaap. When in Amsterdam me and some mates did the stadium tour and were in the parking area when Jaap nearly took us clean out with one swift flick of his jeep. Thankfully his reflexes were still up to scratch and he stepped on the brakes having presumably assessed us all in a terminator style fashion moments earlier.

The following morning having spent the previous evening sampling the delights of the city and some of the particularly grungier areas...as lads will do, we went to watch the team train, following this the players signed autographs. Jaap approached us, looking as always quite menacing and I got his autograph, I also thanked him for 1999 as I couldn't think of anything else to say. He laughed and put out his hand for me to shake it and then gave me a wink haha. He was a class act and surprisingly friendly for a bloke who nearly ran me over and had such an intimidating personality on the field.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Seeing as we're discussing our favourites here's a memory I have of Jaap. When in Amsterdam me and some mates did the stadium tour and were in the parking area when Jaap nearly took us clean out with one swift flick of his jeep. Thankfully his reflexes were still up to scratch and he stepped on the brakes having presumably assessed us all in a terminator style fashion moments earlier.

The following morning having spent the previous evening sampling the delights of the city and some of the particularly grungier areas...as lads will do, we went to watch the team train, following this the players signed autographs. Jaap approached us, looking as always quite menacing and I got his autograph, I also thanked him for 1999 as I couldn't think of anything else to say. He laughed and put out his hand for me to shake it and then gave me a wink haha. He was a class act and surprisingly friendly for a bloke who nearly ran me over and had such an intimidating personality on the field.
Class story. Always seemed a decent bloke.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Actually forgot that he played only three seasons for us

AkaAkuma

Teddy read the game like few others. He just got it. Ridiculously talented in that regard. Could have played in any team in the world in my opinion.
Ive often felt he was ignored on here quite abit. Classy player, one of my favourites.

25. Park Ji-Sung

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
25. Park Ji-Sung
39 Points

Premier League Appearances - 93 (41)
Overall Appearances - 146 (59)
Premier League Goals - 19
Overall Goals - 27
Position - Midfielder

In July 2005, Manchester United spent £4,000,000 to bring South Korean winger Park Ji-Sung to Old Trafford. Right away fans were sceptical of the move. Previous Asian Premier League stars had been perceived as not up to much, and the general consensus was that Park had been signed for marketing purposes as Manchester United looked to increase their advertising money.

That player would go on to have over 200 appearances for Manchester United, would be in Manchester United's top 100 all time most appearances and would win four premier league titles, a champions league and various other trophies. In summary, the player was one of our most valuable players during one of most successful periods.

I don't think anyone who put Park on their list would argue he was ever the most talented player at Manchester United. Indeed while Vidic and Ferdinand's tough tackling shone in defence and the dazzling skills of Ronaldo and Rooney would shine further forward, Park became known for his intense work rate and impressive physical fitness. Rio Ferdinand would describe Park as "a real players' player" who was "Up there with best in world for movement, and so intelligent and direct with runs off the ball. His work-rate is unreal, he adds a dimension no other player brings to the team."

It wasn't just Rio who would heap the praise on Park, throughout his stay at United his energetic displays meant he was never far away from the first team. He made 34 appearances in his first Premier league season, and would make regular appearances for the next three years as United won three successive Premier League trophies. Although he wasn't named in the squad for the 2008 Champions League final, he was one of only few players to play every minute of the Quarter and Semi Finals.

Park Ji-Sung is a memorable player for every ounce of blood and sweat he poured into the Manchester United shirt. From this point out we will see world class payers in the list, but Park is a reminder that hard work and fierce loyalty is seen as fantastic attributes by the Old Trafford faithful. His seven years at Old Trafford live long in the memory, he was certainly a better signing than Manchester United's first East Asian signing (Dong Fangzhou)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
My favourite Park moment bar none was his header against Liverpool to get us the win. I think he was bleeding everywhere afterwards. What a man.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
28. Andrei Kanchelskis

Premier League Appearances - 96 (27)
Overall Appearances - 132 (29)
Premier League Goals - 28
Overall Goals - 36
Position - Winger

On the 26th March 1991 (there was a time before transfer windows came into play) Manchester United announced the signing of Ukrainian Andrei Kanchelskis from Shakhtar Donetsk for about £650,000. The team were just about to finish sixth and Kanchelskis was signed to add pace and youth to the right side of midfield as players like Robson and Russell Beardsmore were nearing the ends of their United careers.

The next year in the 1991/1992 season Kanchelskis was a first team regular, playing 42 times in all competitions and being part of the team that came so close to ending Manchester United's 25 year long wait for a Premier League. The team were on top most of the year, but got pipped to the title by a Leeds team, nevertheless Kanchelskis added a League Cup Winners Medal to his trophy haul that year.

The next year, after 26 years of waiting, Manchester United were finally able to win the title. Kanchelskis was an influential member of the team, playing 27 times in the league that season. Sharpe/Giggs and Kanchelskis spent most of the season on the wings and the mixture of youth, pace and athleticism meant that the opposition were simply bamboozled whoever they were facing. With Eric Cantona leading the line, Sir Alex Ferguson had assembled the first of his many great sides.

The next year was even better for the winger, as United retained the league but won the FA Cup as well, Kanchelskis also played in the League Cup final, but got sent off in a 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa. By this time Kanchelskis had added a goal threat to his game and the next season was United's top scorer in the league with 15 goals, before he got injured and United threw away the title to a Blackburn side.

Kanchelskis soon fell out with Alex Ferguson and never really featured for Manchester United again. He was sold at the start of the 1995 football season, with Alex Ferguson later claiming in his autobiography that he was offered a bribe to sell Kanchelskis and that members of the board at the time had received death threats to ensure the winger was sold. Even though his end at the club came in mysterious circumstances the winger was a massive influence in Manchester United's trophies in the early 1990s.
Why did board members / Fergie offered bribe or received death threats? Anyone know?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why did board members / Fergie offered bribe or received death threats? Anyone know?
The mob that stood behind Kanchelskis wanted to have a cut from the transfer fee to Everton. It was a dark time for the post-Soviet republics, Ukraine and Russia included. Everything was controlled by the outlaws, oligarchs were basically successful mobsters, every week someone would've been killed over a money/influence dispute - and of course football was also heavily involved in mafia shenanigans. Death threats were normal in Russia at the time, so they were just used to getting things that way.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The mob that stood behind Kanchelskis wanted to have a cut from the transfer fee to Everton. It was a dark time for the post-Soviet republics, Ukraine and Russia included. Everything was controlled by the outlaws, oligarchs were basically successful mobsters, every week someone would've been killed over a money/influence dispute - and of course football was also heavily involved in mafia shenanigans. Death threats were normal in Russia at the time, so they were just used to getting things that way.
Cheers guys. Had no idea about that.

24. Edwin van der Sar

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
24. Edwin van der Sar
50 points

Premier League Appearances - 186
Overall Appearances - 266
Premier League Goals - 0
Overall Goals - 0
Position - Goalkeeper

On the 10th of June 2005, Manchester United signed Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar for 2 million pounds. The keeper was the latest in a long list of goalkeepers who were signed to replace Peter Schmeichel and was fast approaching his 35th birthday. However, you won't find Tim Howard, Fabian Barthez, Taibi or Foster on this list. Edwin despite his advancing years, will go down as one of the Premier League's best buys.

VDS has the distinction of being the first player to arrive under the controversial Glazer regime at Old Trafford and while at first glance he may seem to epitomise the penny pinching nature associated with the club's current owners, Edwin's experience and fantastic goalkeeping presence meant that his time at Old Trafford would bring an incredible trophy haul. Edwin would help himself to four premier league titles and a Champions League while he was at the club.

The Dutch goalkeeper was in particular fine form in the 2008/2009 season, when Edwin went for an incredible 1,311 minutes which set a new Premier League record and it is hard to see that record ever being broken. In his three years at Old Trafford he was named in the PFA team of the year three times and saved a penalty from Nicolas Anelka to capture Manchester United's third champions league trophy in 2008.

His remarkable career was down to Edwin being almost the perfect goalkeeper. His height meant he could be relied on to pick out crosses and his fast reflexes and long reach meant only the best of shots could sneak past him. His distribution was fantastic and often set United off on great counter attacking goals. I will leave the last word to the manager who signed him, Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He is a winner. He has brought with him a strength of character; he really looks after himself and he trains very well.

There are many players who, having achieved what he has done, want to take it easy. But he has a desire to carry on"

23. Andy Cole

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
23. Andy Cole
52 Points

Premier League Appearances - 161 (34)
Overall Appearances - 231 (44)
Premier League Goals - 93
Overall Goals - 121
Position - Striker

After everything that happened in Andy Cole's early Manchester United career it feels amazing to see him this high on the list. He was a shock arrival at Manchester United in January 1995 and despite a fantastic 12 goal return from 18 Premier League games, he was remembered for missing two vital chances against West Ham on the last day of the season that gave Blackburn the Championship. Next year as Eric Cantona returned he found it a struggle to make an impact at Old Trafford and that summer, Ferguson even offered the player to Blackburn, in return for Alan Shearer. Shearer said no and many thought Andy Cole's days were over. This feeling would only grow stronger when the player would suffer a double leg break in a game against Liverpool reserves, ruling him out for months.

However, the English striker would stay for another six years at Manchester United and go on to score over 100 goals overall in his eight years at the club. His scoring form means that he currently sits at 17th in Manchester United's top scorers of all time list. The player would go on to win five Premier League trophies at Old Trafford, also adding two FA Cup trophies and a Champions League winners medal to his growing trophy cabinet. It was the treble season where Cole seemed to be at his most potent, scoring a crucial goal against Tottenham on the last day of the season to secure the Premier League trophy and also scoring the winner in a crucial semi final tie against Juventus in the Champions League.

Glenn Hoddle once famously asserted that Andy Cole needed five chances to score a goal and for some reason that idea seemed to permeate the conciousness of football fans in the country, but it never really held up to scrutiny. In his career in the premier league he would have a better goals to game ratio than Alan Shearer (if you excluded penalties). He would rely on pure predatory instinct, a type of poacher that would always show up in the right place at the right time with vital goals. Despite all the criticism that Andy Cole withstood throughout his career he is rightly high up on this list of Manchester United greats and will go down as one of the Premier League's best ever forwards. Shame about his music career though.

Van Gaalacticos

I've heard Cole talking about not wanting to take penalties because he thought they weren't proper goals (or something to that respect) - I didn't realise his games to goals record is better than Shearers when you exclude his, surprising.

Was I the only one not 100% convinced he was going to tuck that chance in against Juventus in '99 as Yorke was taken down and Cole ran on to it to confidently squeeze it in (as I was ten at the time and perhaps slightly naive - I wanted Cole not to shoot, thinking we would have a better chance with a penalty haha), Andy Cole amongst others gave me some of the best memories I have from watching United - well deserved spot on the list.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I've heard Cole talking about not wanting to take penalties because he thought they weren't proper goals (or something to that respect) - I didn't realise his games to goals record is better than Shearers when you exclude his, surprising.

Was I the only one not 100% convinced he was going to tuck that chance in against Juventus in '99 as Yorke was taken down and Cole ran on to it to confidently squeeze it in (as I was ten at the time and perhaps slightly naive - I wanted Cole not to shoot, thinking we would have a better chance with a penalty haha), Andy Cole amongst others gave me some of the best memories I have from watching United - well deserved spot on the list.

I was a few years younger than you, I remember he was my absolute favourite, thought he was gonna score every game. It's only when I grew up I found out he had a reputation for missing sometime.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
"He gets the ball and scores a goal" - a song which simply epitomises Cole. Players like him (and Ruud) are sometimes not given the credit they deserve... a very very good centre forward.

About 3.30 in the video .... "full speed ahead Barcelona!!". I remember it like it was yesterday and up there with "and Solsjkaer has won it" as memorable quotes that season.

The final (understandably) gets all the memories/quotes but it wasn't a good game apart from the last 20 minutes. The semis were much better games - Juve were a great team, we were lucky to scrape a draw in the first leg but excellent to come back in the 2nd. Possibly United's performance of the season and up there with the Barca/Maradona comeback for me :D

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
"He gets the ball and scores a goal" - a song which simply epitomises Cole. Players like him (and Ruud) are sometimes not given the credit they deserve... a very very good centre forward.

About 3.30 in the video .... "full speed ahead Barcelona!!". I remember it like it was yesterday and up there with "and Solsjkaer has won it" as memorable quotes that season.

The final (understandably) gets all the memories/quotes but it wasn't a good game apart from the last 20 minutes. The semis where much better games - Juve were a great team, we were lucky to scrape a draw in the first leg but excellent to come back in the 2nd. Possibly United's performance of the season and up there with the Barca/Maradona comeback for me :D

Potentially the most "united" game of all time. If you want to know why people around the world love the club, that's an example.

22. Mark Hughes

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
22. Mark Hughes
54 Points

Premier League Appearances - 236 (9)
Overall Appearances - 453 (14)
Premier League Goals - 120
Overall Goals - 163
Position - Striker

Mark Hughes signed for Manchester United after leaving school in 1980. He was just 17 years old. Three years later the striker would make his debut in a League Cup second round game against Port Vale as a substitute. Twelve years after his debut he would leave the club for the final time, a certified club legend with over 450 appearances to his name, a massive trophy haul and a brief stop off in Spain and Germany in the meantime.

Hughes established himself as a first team regular in the 1984/85 season. He would go onto score 24 goals in 55 games and maintain a 1 in 2 average in the league. He faced stiff competition from Stapleton and Whiteside, but Ron Atkinson's faith in him was paid off and he continued his scoring form into the next season where he would score another 18 goals. However, at the end of the 85/86 season Hughes moved to Barcelona, where he would spend a couple of torrid years, not quite fitting in at the Spanish club.

When Sir Alex Ferguson decided to sign the player back in 1988 for a then club record fee of 1.6 million. Hughes would go onto win PFA player of the year in the 1988/89 season, the first Manchester United player to ever lift the personal accolade, and personal honours soon changed into team trophies as the striker would help United to an FA Cup a year later. When Manchester United won their first league title for decades in 1993, Mark Hughes was the club's top scorer with an impressive 15 goals in the league. Hughes was instrumental in another Premier League title and in total won three FA Cup trophies in his time at the club.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man - Mark Hughes was described as "the best big game player I ever had" by Sir Alex Ferguson and his countless heroics in important seasons for the club means that Mark Hughes scores really highly on this list.

Last edited:

Van Gaalacticos

22. Mark Hughes
54 Points

Overall Goals - 163
Position - Striker

Mark Hughes signed for Manchester United after leaving school in 1980. He was just 17 years old. Three years later the striker would make his debut in a League Cup second round game against Port Vale as a substitute. Twelve years after his debut he would leave the club for the final time, a certified club legend with over 450 appearances to his name, a massive trophy haul and a brief stop off in Spain and Germany in the meantime.

Hughes established himself as a first team regular in the 1984/85 season. He would go onto score 24 goals in 55 games and maintain a 1 in 2 average in the league. He faced stiff competition from Stapleton and Whiteside, but Terry Venables faith in him was paid off and he continued his scoring form into the next season where he would score another 18 goals. However, at the end of the 85/86 season Hughes moved to Barcelona, where he would spend a couple of torrid years, not quite fitting in at the Spanish club.

When Sir Alex Ferguson decided to sign the player back in 1988 for a then club record fee of 1.6 million. Hughes would go onto win PFA player of the year in the 1988/89 season, the first Manchester United player to ever lift the personal accolade, and personal honours soon changed into team trophies as the striker would help United to an FA Cup a year later. When Manchester United won their first league title for decades in 1993, Mark Hughes was the club's top scorer with an impressive 15 goals in the league. Hughes was instrumental in another Premier League title and in total won three FA Cup trophies in his time at the club.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man - Mark Hughes was described as "the best big game player I ever had" by Sir Alex Ferguson and his countless heroics in important seasons for the club means that Mark Hughes scores really highly on this list.
Quick! Quick! Edit! Edit!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
22. Mark Hughes
54 Points

Overall Goals - 163
Position - Striker;)

Hughes established himself as a first team regular in the 1984/85 season. He would go onto score 24 goals in 55 games and maintain a 1 in 2 average in the league. He faced stiff competition from Stapleton and Whiteside, but Terry Venables faith in him was paid off and he continued his scoring form into the next season where he would score another 18 goals. However, at the end of the 85/86 season Hughes moved to Barcelona, where he would spend a couple of torrid years, not quite fitting in at the Spanish club.

Now we're talking!!! My fellow Wrexhamite and my one tenuous United link..... his Dad was my Grandads neighbour.

"Big game player" indeed, the number of famous and/or key goals he scored?

One of the goals of the season..... versus Liverpool :D

An F A Cup Semi goal ...... versus Liverpool :D

The 91 ECWC Final - what ..... a..... game....!!

Another F A Cup Semi goal (and last minute at that!)

And my favourite....... Wales not United, but brilliant technique (and I was right behind the goal)...

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What's worse is I've just been sat here for about a minute seriously questioning myself firstly thinking Venables was never at United...but was he...nah...but maybe...no...but...NO!
I honestly have no idea where it come from. I imagine his name must have been on some list I've read today at some point. Left me questioning my sanity.

Van Gaalacticos

I honestly have no idea where it come from. I imagine his name must have been on some list I've read today at some point. Left me questioning my sanity.
Hey, wipe those tears away my friend, it could be worse. At least when your head goes you'll be rambling about ex England Managers, probably better than the rest of us haha.