Redcafe's favourite Manchester United players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Hard to compare, as per usual. Different sort of strikers and all that.

For the stats fans I can report that Viollet ranks third among our more famous and more prolific strikers in terms of goals-per-game, behind Taylor and Van Nistelrooy (who are ridiculously close, by the way):

1. Tommy Taylor 0,685
2. Ruud van Nistelrooy 0,684
3. Dennis Viollet 0,610

Crikey that is absolutely insane. I was watching Taylorn clips the other day. Wow.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Crikey that is absolutely insane. I was watching Taylorn clips the other day. Wow.
It's crazy.

FWIW, browsing the numbers here, I think Law ranks 4th - just shy of 0.6, which is impressive given his many games for us.

Rooney is on 0,48 - which is better than Ronaldo (heh!).

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's crazy.

FWIW, browsing the numbers here, I think Law ranks 4th - just shy of 0.6, which is impressive given his many games for us.

Rooney is on 0,48 - which is better than Ronaldo (heh!).
I would never guess Ronaldo is on less than one every two games for us. Guess you forget about his development.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would never guess Ronaldo is on less than one every two games for us. Guess you forget about his development.
Yes, it's easy to forget that he started out as a trickster-ish winger who wasn't all that prolific - nor was it obvious that he would evolve into a goal machine. More than a third of his goals for us came in that one season when he scored like a madman (by our standards, that is - these days 42 goals in a season would be considered shabby for him, I suppose).

DenisIrwin

Joint 34th
(Two Players)
Ten Points each.

34. Javier Hernandez

Premier League Appearances - 49 (54)
Overall Appearances - 85 (72)
Premier League Goals - 37
Overall Goals - 59
Position - Striker

Manchester United announced they were signing Javier Hernandez on April 08th 2010 (pending a work permit), I remember reading about it at the time and some of these quotes from redcafe users show what the general feeling was.

Hernandez on the other hand was feeling a lot happier. "I feel like I am living a dream," Hernandez told MUTV. "All the impressions I have of the club are good and Sir Alex Ferguson is a great person, maybe the best coach in the world." Indeed while the young striker had previously got unnoticed for a large proportion of his early career, the Manchester United scouting network had found something in the player that would push him on to stardom. Moving from his team Chivas, Chicarito originally played against Manchester United in a friendly (and scored against us) before making his Manchester United appearance in the second half. He hardly stopped scoring after that. His competitive debut was in the Charity Shield where he scored against Chelsea and he continued the 2010/2011 season in fine form scoring 20 goals in 27 full games. Lightning pace, deadly accuracy and the ability to find space meant Chicharito was immediately a fan favourite, from humble beginnings we had found an incredibly talented poacher. He finished his debut season as Fans Player of the year.

He continued his fine goalscoring form for the next two seasons, scoring ten premier league goals despite often starting off the bench. His goalscoring form led him to two premier league titles at Old Trafford and he scored some vital goals particularly in Sir Alex Ferguson's final year, including a last minute winner against Newcastle in a 4-3 victory and a winner against Chelsea away from home. Chicharito has the honour of scoring the last ever goal under Alex Ferguson's regime, netting a goal in a 5-5 draw with West Brom away from home.

His last three seasons at the club were unfortunately not as successful as the player dropped down the pecking order, was loaned out and eventually sold to Bayern Leverkusen. To this day his great scoring record and fantastic attitude means he is a firm favourite at Old Trafford. I will end with a story that epitomises the player. Six years ago now we beat Blackburn 7-1, Hernandez was an unused substitute in the game. After the match I stayed with my little nephew getting autographs watching as various Manchester United players trotted to their cars, with only around half actually signing a few fans shirts and programmes. Chicharito stayed to sign every single item of memorabilia on display, before stopping to chat with a few disabled fans for a good ten minutes. He truly was a remarkable man.
...going on to be named Bundesliga Player of the Month for November, December and January - not long before the man that sold him plays Young up front because there is noone to do the "runnings in behind".

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
...going on to be named Bundesliga Player of the Month for November, December and January - not long before the man that sold him plays Young up front because there is noone to do the "runnings in behind".
I'm trying to keep negativity out of this thread, but I'm not sure those awards were all that legitimate.

30. Paul McGrath

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
30. Paul McGrath

First Division Appearances - 159 (4)
Overall Appearances - 192 (7)
First Division Goals - 12
Overall Goals - 16
Position - Centre Back

In 1982 Ron Atkinson signed Republic of Ireland defender Paul McGrath from the Irish side St. Patrick's Athletic. The defender would go on to be a rock at the heart of Manchester United's defence for seven years. Sir Alex Ferguson's arrival heralded the end of McGrath's career at the Manchester club, as the Scottish manager grew angry at McGrath's off the field antics. Nevertheless McGrath remains a legend at Old Trafford.

McGrath had considerable troubles with his knees, which meant at Old Trafford he was constantly battling injury. Despite this he was a fantastic reader of the game and would wear his heart on his sleeve diving into tough tackles. McGrath epitomised cool, which led one journalist to comment "Paul McGrath played football as though he was wearing a silk smoking jacket with a crystal glass in his hand."

McGrath's only honour for Manchester United came in the 1984/85 season, when Manchester United were successful in the FA Cup. He was voted Man Of The Match in the final as Manchester United beat Everton 1-0. It is a shame his best years didn't come at a more fruitful time for the club as a player with his natural ability deserved to win more. As Alex Ferguson came into power at Old Trafford he became increasingly more and more frustrated with McGrath's off the field behaviour, including a well documented drinking problem. This increasingly tumultuous relationship led to McGrath's departure in February 1989. Despite this his style of play and longevity make him a firm favourite at Manchester United.

DenisIrwin

30. Paul McGrath

Overall Goals - 16
Position - Centre Back

In 1982 Ron Atkinson signed Republic of Ireland defender Paul McGrath from the Irish side St. Patrick's Athletic. The defender would go on to be a rock at the heart of Manchester United's defence for seven years. Sir Alex Ferguson's arrival heralded the end of McGrath's career at the Manchester club, as the Scottish manager grew angry at McGrath's off the field antics. Nevertheless McGrath remains a legend at Old Trafford.

McGrath had considerable troubles with his knees, which meant at Old Trafford he was constantly battling injury. Despite this he was a fantastic reader of the game and would wear his heart on his sleeve diving into tough tackles. McGrath epitomised cool, which led one journalist to comment "Paul McGrath played football as though he was wearing a silk smoking jacket with a crystal glass in his hand."

McGrath's only honour for Manchester United came in the 1984/85 season, when Manchester United were successful in the FA Cup. He was voted Man Of The Match in the final as Manchester United beat Everton 1-0. It is a shame his best years didn't come at a more fruitful time for the club as a player with his natural ability deserved to win more. As Alex Ferguson came into power at Old Trafford he became increasingly more and more frustrated with McGrath's off the field behaviour, including a well documented drinking problem. This increasingly tumultuous relationship led to McGrath's departure in February 1989. Despite this his style of play and longevity make him a firm favourite at Manchester United.
I always liked Paul. Never knew about his early life. Will buy his cover of "Goin' Back" and would be priviliged to be able to buy him a pint if he still drinks.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
30. Paul McGrath

Overall Goals - 16
Position - Centre Back

What..... a ...... player...... the Rolls Royce of defenders.

Better than Rio and if I was picking the best two CH's of the past 30+ years, it'd be McGrath and Stam with McGrath edging it. On top of that, he could play defensive mid comfortably, just a godgiven athletic ability.

Fergie just couldn't accept his lifestyle and he had to go, though we then had Bruce and Pallister joined as a replacement. Went to Villa, played another 7 seasons (brilliantly) including winning PFA Player of the year aged 34!

Despite being born in London (man, England could have had McGrath and Butcher!!!), played for Ireland in World Cups. Just an idea of his level of skill (and he was 35 at that point) is here - ignore the dick of a ref and Rijkaard being a baby.... how many defenders (or forwards) do you know who could do this?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In terms of individual performances against top level opposition, McGrath is a World Cup great – nothing less.

That display of his against Italy...incredible stuff. And he was injured at the time, typically enough.

Watching him live was a treat: The way he'd position himself absolutely perfectly - and the way he'd move effortlessly around to snuff out danger...one hell of a player, in short. I wouldn't argue against anyone claiming he's our finest defender ever.

In terms of individual performances against top level opposition, McGrath is a World Cup great – nothing less.

That display of his against Italy...incredible stuff. And he was injured at the time, typically enough.

Watching him live was a treat: The way he'd position himself absolutely perfectly - and the way he'd move effortlessly around to snuff out danger...one hell of a player, in short. I wouldn't argue against anyone claiming he's our finest defender ever.
Yup...... Baggio was one of the best players in the world and McGrath had him in his pocket for 90 minutes..... at 35..... with dodgy knees..... and didnt/couldnt train properly because of his earlier 'mistake'. If he'd been English, he'd be talked about like Moore.... if Italian, like Baresi.

People forget that the "ooh aah" chant wasn't made for Eric? :nono: :cool:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
From 29th onwards now, we have no more draws left. We're close to half way on the list. Here is who we've seen so far.

56. Anderson
56. Crerand
56. Gregg
56. Rossi
56. Shaw
56. Sherringham
56. Stapleton
56. Tevez
50. Herrera
50. Martial
50. O'Shea
50. Pallister
50. Rafael
50. Schweinsteiger
48. Di Maria
48. Mata
45. Saha
45. Sharpe
45. Strachan
44. Yorke
42. Petrucci
42. Smith
39. Coppell
39. Kagawa
39. Nani
38. Buchan
36. Taylor
36. Valencia
34. Chicarito
34. Viollet
32. Van Persie
32. Whiteside
30.Carrick
30. McGrath

In the next five spaces we have all premier league players. Including an expensive striker, a pacey winger, a workhorse and two centre backs.

From 29th onwards now, we have no more draws left. We're close to half way on the list. Here is who we've seen so far.

56. Anderson
56. Crerand
56. Gregg
56. Rossi
56. Shaw
56. Sherringham
56. Stapleton
56. Tevez
50. Herrera
50. Martial
50. O'Shea
50. Pallister
50. Rafael
50. Schweinsteiger
48. Di Maria
48. Mata
45. Saha
45. Sharpe
45. Strachan
44. Yorke
42. Petrucci
42. Smith
39. Coppell
39. Kagawa
39. Nani
38. Buchan
36. Taylor
36. Valencia
34. Chicarito
34. Viollet
32. Van Persie
32. Whiteside
30.Carrick
30. McGrath

In the next five spaces we have all premier league players. Including an expensive striker, a pacey winger, a workhorse and two centre backs.
Keep em coming... if Giggs is 1, I might take up knitting

29. Dimitar Berbatov

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
29. Dimitar Berbatov

Premier League Appearances - 82 (26)
Overall Appearances - 108 (41)
Premier League Goals - 48
Overall Goals - 56
Position - Striker

“If I want to play for the money, I would accept the Manchester City offer or Chelsea. The red shirt is the really big thing for me."

Dimitar Berbatov arrived for £30 million late on at the start of the 2008/2009 Premier League season from Tottenham. The player had already made a big impact on the Premier League and Manchester United fans were ecstatic to see the Bulgarian striker arrive. His incredible technique and his eye for goal made him a favourite at Manchester United.

When thinking back to Dimitar Berbatov's Manchester United career it is hard not to think of it as somewhat of a disappointment. Despite having a healthy scoring ratio for Manchester United, his lack of pace and perceived somewhat idle nature worked against him somewhat, with Berbatov missing the Champions League final first 11 in his debut season. Despite this Berbatov won two premier leagues whilst at Manchester United, helping himself to a Club World Championship and a League Cup as well in his four years at the club.

When talking about Berbatov it wouldn't be fair to not mention his exquisite first touch and his ability to find the back of the net. His scoring ability led him to be the top scorer in the league in the 2010/2011 season, and he still holds a joint premier league records for most goals in a game, scoring five against Blackburn that year. His silky skills and loyalty to Manchester United make him somewhat of a club hero and certainly is one of my favourite recent players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Have you got links? All I've really seen was the 57 cup final in which he impressed me with his all-round game.
When I was researching him I just watched as much as I could on Youtube.

I really like this video, it's amazing.

, have a look at a lot of players on the list.

28. Andrei Kanchelskis

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
28. Andrei Kanchelskis

Premier League Appearances - 96 (27)
Overall Appearances - 132 (29)
Premier League Goals - 28
Overall Goals - 36
Position - Winger

On the 26th March 1991 (there was a time before transfer windows came into play) Manchester United announced the signing of Ukrainian Andrei Kanchelskis from Shakhtar Donetsk for about £650,000. The team were just about to finish sixth and Kanchelskis was signed to add pace and youth to the right side of midfield as players like Robson and Russell Beardsmore were nearing the ends of their United careers.

The next year in the 1991/1992 season Kanchelskis was a first team regular, playing 42 times in all competitions and being part of the team that came so close to ending Manchester United's 25 year long wait for a Premier League. The team were on top most of the year, but got pipped to the title by a Leeds team, nevertheless Kanchelskis added a League Cup Winners Medal to his trophy haul that year.

The next year, after 26 years of waiting, Manchester United were finally able to win the title. Kanchelskis was an influential member of the team, playing 27 times in the league that season. Sharpe/Giggs and Kanchelskis spent most of the season on the wings and the mixture of youth, pace and athleticism meant that the opposition were simply bamboozled whoever they were facing. With Eric Cantona leading the line, Sir Alex Ferguson had assembled the first of his many great sides.

The next year was even better for the winger, as United retained the league but won the FA Cup as well, Kanchelskis also played in the League Cup final, but got sent off in a 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa. By this time Kanchelskis had added a goal threat to his game and the next season was United's top scorer in the league with 15 goals, before he got injured and United threw away the title to a Blackburn side.

Kanchelskis soon fell out with Alex Ferguson and never really featured for Manchester United again. He was sold at the start of the 1995 football season, with Alex Ferguson later claiming in his autobiography that he was offered a bribe to sell Kanchelskis and that members of the board at the time had received death threats to ensure the winger was sold. Even though his end at the club came in mysterious circumstances the winger was a massive influence in Manchester United's trophies in the early 1990s.

DenisIrwin

Ah those were the days! With Kanchelskis on the right and Giggs on the left Schmeichel's long throws out to the wings terrified the opposition. Such pace and dynamism on the counter. Add to that great quality in the middle and a strong defence - we were awesome!

Ah those were the days! With Kanchelskis on the right and Giggs on the left Schmeichel's long throws out to the wings terrified the opposition. Such pace and dynamism on the counter. Add to that great quality in the middle and a strong defence - we were awesome!
Yup.... and why they remain one of my favourite teams ever (despite not doing it in Europe) and why this game remains one of my favourites ever (yes people, Norwich were once the team to beat!)

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Was talking to my Dad earlier about Kanchelskis and he mentioned this very gamE. I have no memories of him whatsoever.
Jesus I thought you were older than that

Kanchelskis was the first name I ever got on a shirt....he left a couple of months later :(

DenisIrwin

A man of taste.

That team were the fastest team I've ever seen on the break..... helped by Schmeicels long throws :)
When we went racing upfield on the break the opposition would be scurrrying to get back to stop Kanchelskis and Giggs (who were lightning quick) while we had Keane, Ince, Hughes and Cantona racing alongside them. Daunting.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
One of my all time fav. United players.

27. Steve Bruce

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
27. Steve Bruce
30 Points

Premier League Appearances - 309
Overall Appearances - 411 (3)
Premier League Goals - 36
Overall Goals - 51
Position - Centre Back

10th April 1993. It had been 26 years since Manchester United last won the top league in English football and they looked like this year might have been their year. However, it looked like they were faltering. They were 1-0 down at Sheffield Wednesday and it looked like Aston Villa would go ahead of them in the hunt for the Premier League title. That is until Steve Bruce arrived in the 85th minute with a powerful header off a corner. In the 96th minute he scored the winner. United won 2-1 and would remain top for the rest of the season. They'd finally done it and Steve Bruce wrote himself into the Old Trafford history books.

Of course he would probably be there anyway. In December 1987 Manchester United splashed out £800,000 to Norwich for a 26 year old Steve Bruce. He played 21 out of the 22 remaining games that season, and Manchester United would finish in the top two for the first time in seven years. Manchester United fans started to believe again. Next season on the other hand would see United return to the midtable, and Sir Alex Ferguson rung the changes. Gary Pallister joined the club and his partnership with Bruce would become the stuff of legend. They are so ingrained in the club's history that in 2012 in the midst of another defensive injury crisis Alex Ferguson joked about getting the pair out of retirement, it was obvious that the partnership was still remembered by the wily old Scot.

While the above mentioned Premier League title is probably the most fondly remembered of Bruce's trophies, he also won another two Premier Leagues, three FA Cups and a Cup Winners Cup in his nine years at the club. Bruce's hard hitting tackles and amazing aerial ability kept him at Old Trafford till he turned 35, where he would move to Birmingham to try and bring the Midlands club back to the Premier League.

Bruce still sits at 24th in the Manchester United most capped players list and amazingly sits in 49th in terms of top Manchester United goal scorers, which for a central defender isn't bad! Bruce has had a fairly successful managerial career after he finally hung up his boots, and currently manages Hull City in the Championship. A great signing who wore his heart on his sleeve at all times on the football pitch and deserves his place in the list.

Van Gaalacticos

Great thread - good work! Glad we're at the business end though (Petrucci?). Looking forward to the rest of the write ups for some of our bigger legends.

Surprised to see Bruce and Andrei that low...this list is gonna be good, can't be a team in the world with a richer history than ours.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Great thread - good work! Glad we're at the business end though (Petrucci?). Looking forward to the rest of the write ups for some of our bigger legends.

Surprised to see Bruce and Andrei that low...this list is gonna be good, can't be a team in the world with a richer history than ours.
There's a lot of big names left to get through, insane how many legends we've had. Someone like Bruce is one of Norwich's biggest legends!

Van Gaalacticos

There's a lot of big names left to get through, insane how many legends we've had. Someone like Bruce is one of Norwich's biggest legends!
Haha. Should have another heading under position: Also a legend for...

I'm not being serious with that but I bet it would relate to a fair few, certainly would have for a few so far.

RedFish

29. Dimitar Berbatov

Premier League Appearances - 82 (26)
Overall Appearances - 108 (41)
Overall Goals - 56
Position - Striker

“If I want to play for the money, I would accept the Manchester City offer or Chelsea. The red shirt is the really big thing for me."

Dimitar Berbatov arrived for £30 million late on at the start of the 2008/2009 Premier League season from Tottenham. The player had already made a big impact on the Premier League and Manchester United fans were ecstatic to see the Bulgarian striker arrive. His incredible technique and his eye for goal made him a favourite at Manchester United.

When thinking back to Dimitar Berbatov's Manchester United career it is hard not to think of it as somewhat of a disappointment. Despite having a healthy scoring ratio for Manchester United, his lack of pace and perceived somewhat idle nature worked against him somewhat, with Berbatov missing the Champions League final first 11 in his debut season. Despite this Berbatov won two premier leagues whilst at Manchester United, helping himself to a Club World Championship and a League Cup as well in his four years at the club.

When talking about Berbatov it wouldn't be fair to not mention his exquisite first touch and his ability to find the back of the net. His scoring ability led him to be the top scorer in the league in the 2010/2011 season, and he still holds a joint premier league records for most goals in a game, scoring five against Blackburn that year. His silky skills and loyalty to Manchester United make him somewhat of a club hero and certainly is one of my favourite recent players.
Before he signed I remember thinking he was just born to play for United. Fabulous player but he could have (and probably should have) made even more of an impact than he did.

RedFish

44th
Five Points.

44. Dwight Yorke

Premier League Appearances - 80 (16)
Overall Appearances - 120 (32)
Overall Goals - 66
Position - Striker

Just one today, but it's a footballer who always played with a smile on his face and has brought plenty of joy to Manchester United fans. Dwight signed for Manchester United at the start of the legendary 1998/1999 season and would spend four years in total at the club. Yorke joined from fellow premier league team Aston Villa, upsetting their fans with his behaviour as he pushed through a move to Manchester United. However, Yorke explained his actions in a press conference with his new club, stating "I hope I can win some silverware at United." He had no idea what was to come.

The treble winning season will go down as the best in our club's illustrious history and Yorke was a massive contributor that season, becoming our top scorer in the league as well as scoring important goals in the quarter and semi finals against Inter Milan and Juventus respectively. He would also be the top scorer in the premier league the next season scoring an impressive 20 league goals as United retained the Premier League title. His partnership with fellow striker Andy Cole was fantastic and both contributed massively to some amazing football.

In the 2000/2001 season Yorke found himself behind RVN in what was thought to be Ferguson's last year at the club. Ferguson had become irate at Yorke's "playboy" behaviour, and it came to a head as Yorke turned up a day late for preseason after going out for a "wild night" in his Trinidad and Tobago. His time in the first team dwindled and at the start of the 2002/2003 season he moved on to Blackburn to eventually reunite with Cole. It's a shame his lifestyle ended his United career prematurely.
His 1-2 with Andy vs Barca still gives me shivers......I remember thinking fluid football doesn't get much better than this. I had a Portuguese flat mate, both of us being at Uni at the time, and begrudingly he acknowledged our prowess. It was nights like this, that made me feel on top of the world!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Before he signed I remember thinking he was just born to play for United. Fabulous player but he could have (and probably should have) made even more of an impact than he did.

I remember the thread when he signed. such an elegant footballer this place went absolutely nuts. The type of footballer who when on form is a joy.

RedFish

Love him. He was our Jean Pierre-Papin. At least that's how i remember him. Wasted being a sub, he should have been playing week in week out, for everyone to see his talent. Couldn't believe he didn't have more chasing his signature. Goal scorers are precious and he is one heck of a striker. Didn't care about his contribution outside of the box, just like I didn't care about RVN's. RVN was better, the best striker we ever had in my humble opinion, but Chicharito is high up in my favourite players list too.