Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 1)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don't have anything for this round, but actually would have if it was the Amstrad CPC/Commodore 64 generation. :D

I agree with the folks saying that PC should be split into eras as well (or just rolled in with the console ones). Seems a bit odd having Theme Hospital and Starcraft in the same round as games that have come out in the past couple of years.
I understand your point but that would double the work for me and increase the final by way too many games, which is why I have given PC its own round. If there is a consensus on your suggestion, I guess I can go back and alter but I honestly would prefer not to.

I appreciate WiiU and Switch are kinda hard to fit into the usual gen cycles, but the way it's presented here doesn't sit well. Switch as a PS5/Series X generation console? I'd just add Wii and WiiU to the PS360 era, even if the WiiU was very late, and put Switch in with PS4 and Xbox One. Intuitively, looking at the games, that seems like a better fit.
I just seperated them out to give Nintendo a representative in each gen as they kinda came out between gens. I mean most of us play Switch now despite the new Xbox and PS consoles and those who had Wii U played it during PS4 and Xbox One.

Bosws87

I look forward to identifying all the casuals when we get in the later rounds :devil:

OleBoiii

I understand your point but that would double the work for me and increase the final by way too many games, which is why I have given PC its own round.
Just use the 5 year intervals like I wrote previously: 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 00-04, 05-09, 10-14, 15-today.

So for this round you have: NES, Master System, Atari 7800 and PC games from 1985 to 1989. The intervals also match the number of generations, which makes it ideal :)

I don't think it's too late to start now since most of the good PC games didn't start coming out before the 90's if I'm not mistaken.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just use the 5 year intervals like I wrote previously: 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 00-04, 05-09, 10-14, 15-today.

So for this round you have: NES, Master System, Atari 7800 and PC games from 1985 to 1989. The intervals also match the number of generations, which makes it ideal :)

I don't think it's too late to start now since most of the good PC games didn't start coming out before the 90's if I'm not mistaken.
I can change to this. But I need someone to DM me the consoles and handhelds that were released in each of these intervals to give a fair shake to all. Although I may make a few tweaks, I can categorize like this.

This way we will have 7 rounds so I will allow 3 games from each category to reach the final and have a grand final of 21 games and will exclude Mobile gaming.

OleBoiii

I can change to this. But I need someone to DM me the consoles and handhelds that were released in each of these intervals to give a fair shake to all. Although I may make a few tweaks, I can categorize like this.
Ah, I should have explained it better.

You don't really have to change anything. For every round, you simply add "PC games + interval". So for this round everything remains the same, but you also write "PC games from 1985 to 1989" :)

EDIT:
The PC game intervals do not perfectly match the generations, but that would make things too complicated anyways, imo.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

This way we will have 7 rounds so I will allow 3 games from each category to reach the final and have a grand final of 21 games and will exclude Mobile gaming.
No offence to madwinger but I wouldn't bother. You need to make this as easy as possible to get replies and making people google what year games came out won't drive that sweet engagement. The golden rule of the internet is to make things as convenient as possible. Generations are easier to follow.

Just my tuppence.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ah, I should have explained it better.

You don't really have to change anything. For every round, you simply add "PC games + interval". So for this round everything remains the same, but you also write "PC games from 1985 to 1989" :)

EDIT:
The PC game intervals do not perfectly match the generations, but that would make things too complicated anyways, imo.
No offence to madwinger but I wouldn't bother. You need to make this as easy as possible to get replies and making people google what year games came out won't drive that sweet engagement. The golden rule of the internet is to make things as convenient as possible. Generations are easier to follow.

Just my tuppence.
I think @Vidyoyo is correct and I will leave as is.

It would take too much time for me to figure out if the PC games people were choosing truly fell into the dates the console generation falls into.

I'll only swap to this method of there is a lot of demand for it, of not, I'll leave as is.

Can't please everyone! Sorry!

Moby

Dick
I think @Vidyoyo is correct and I will leave as is.

It would take too much time for me to figure out if the PC games people were choosing truly fell into the dates the console generation falls into.

I'll only swap to this method of there is a lot of demand for it, of not, I'll leave as is.

Can't please everyone! Sorry!
I'm counting on you to rig the whole thing so that Hollow Knight wins!

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Great idea for a thread.

1: double dragon
2: Mario 2
3: duck hunt
4: Alex kidd in miracle world
5: batman

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'll skip the boomer round.

diarm

1. Duck Hunt
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. Alex Kidd
5. Out Run

This is less "5 favourite games" and more "only 5 games I can remember playing" from this generation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mate this is my plan :lol:

If Alex Kidd also don't make it out the first round, I'll quit!
I can tell I’m not in America anymore: I’ve never even heard of that game! :lol:

Also I wouldn’t have been the first to vote for one of the Tecmo Bowls. One would’ve been a lock to finish in the top 3.

Siorac

Just my tuppence.
I think it's far easier to google release dates than trying to figure out what game came out on which console but that might be because the first console I ever owned was the PS4.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think it's far easier to google release dates than trying to figure out what game came out on which console but that might be because the first console I ever owned was the PS4.
At the same time, some games came out different times according to region, Especially in the earlier generations.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1. Tecmo Super Bowl
2.Super Mario Bros
3. Punch Out
4. Legend of Zelda
5. Sonic

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1. Adventure Island
2. The legend of Kage
3. Streets of Rage
4. Contra
5. Castlevania

Special mention to the early marios, donkey kong, soccer and tennis games. Some class games back then.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Made a small change to the rules. Not going to say what it is yet but rest assured, round 10 will be fun. Sorry for constant changes, once we get past this first round, it will be a lot smoother.

diarm

I'm already looking ahead to Round 3, wondering how I'm going to whittle 10 games down to just 5.

Edit: 11 games.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
1. Super Maro Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Super Mario Bros. 2
4. Castlevania
5. The Legend of Zelda

Not very original list, I never played Megaman 2 after Megaman 1 almost killed me out of frustration. Also really wanted to put Turtles and Batman on there but cannot look beyond my 5 choices

Castlevania was the 1st game I ever owned. Only finished it for the 1st time using save states on recent collection on ps4

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Alex the Kid in Miracle World
4. Road Rash
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Arcade Version)
Was Road Rash not the following gen?

JP77

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Super Mario Bros
3. Sonic The Hedgehog
4. Streets Of Rage
5. California Games

So hard to narrow it down. Had Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest in there but then realised I had forgot Streets Of Rage and California games. Quite a few other games missing too, only going to get harder too!

Grib

1. Final Fantasy*
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. Ninja Gaiden
5. Out Run

*I didn't own it at the time but given it's the only one out of this lot that I'd play now for more than 60 seconds before regretting buying the mini console it has to be that