Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 1)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why no Atari 2600? Surely that was mainstream at the time?

And no computer games apart from PC? Are they not considered video games anymore? Spectrum / Commodore 64? Atari ST / Amiga???
I've listed the generations according to Wiki and Atari 2600 was second generation. I decided to start 3rd generation as that's when games became massively popular thanks to NES and Master System but even the, as you can see from the responses here, a lot of people didn't really jump in until the 4th generation (SNES, Mega Drive). As for computer games away from PC, wouldn't even know where to put them in... as I stated in the opening post, it's going to be hard to fit everything in!

A pity vote? :angel:
I'll take any kind of vote :lol:

Can I count on you to do it?

Revan

Assumptionman
I've listed the generations according to Wiki and Atari 2600 was second generation. I decided to start 3rd generation as that's when games became massively popular thanks to NES and Master System but even the, as you can see from the responses here, a lot of people didn't really jump in until the 4th generation (SNES, Mega Drive). As for computer games away from PC, wouldn't even know where to put them in... as I stated in the opening post, it's going to be hard to fit everything in!

Maybe put a category of PC-games only. Would be a pity to have genuine contenders for best game ever (Half Life, Half Life 2, Deus Ex, etc) to not be at all considered.

NB: I see you are doing it in Round 8. :)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Maybe put a category of PC-games only. Would be a pity to have genuine contenders for best game ever (Half Life, Half Life 2, Deus Ex, etc) to not be at all considered.
There is a category for exactly this. Round 8.

OleBoiii

If Counter Strike 1.6, which is objectively the best game of all time in 3 categories(FPS, online multiplayer, e-sports), don't win the PC category I'll.... I'll.... I'll express my disappointment in the form of a comment!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If Counter Strike 1.6, which is objectively the best game of all time in 3 categories(FPS, online multiplayer, e-sports), don't win the PC category I'll.... I'll.... I'll express my disappointment in the form of a comment!
CS 1.3 - 1.6 cost me two relationships!

Bosws87

Half Life is far more important then Counter Strike considering it was a mod of the game.

This from someone who has been actively playing CS in some forms for 20 odd years.

Moby

Dick
At least where I was, it was a lot bigger in local multiplayer. The absolute cornerstone of every LAN party.

OleBoiii

CS 1.3 - 1.6 cost me two relationships!
Monsterkill > Monsterdong

At least where I was, it was a lot bigger in local multiplayer. The absolute cornerstone of every LAN party.
Here as well. We also played Quake 3 and Battlefield Vietnam etc, but CS 1.6 was the game. I loved the grassroots competitive scene and the juvenile trash-talk. Travelling around the country with massive CRT monitors to compete was a bitch, but also a lot of fun. Good times!

Sparky Rhiwabon

Spectrum / C64 would be third gen (8 bit)
AtarI ST / Amiga would be fourth gen (16 bit)

All of these were as popular as gaming machines, if not more so, as their console competition at the time

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've been thinking about my all time faves because if this thread. Genuinely think Breath of the Wild is right up there.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Spectrum / C64 would be third gen (8 bit)
AtarI ST / Amiga would be fourth gen (16 bit)

All of these were as popular as gaming machines, if not more so, as their console competition at the time
Ahh see these don't appear on the console generation list on wiki. If enough people request it, I can change it.

Loving all the nostalgia this thread is bringing about, top work @Dirty Schwein !
Thanks mate!

Posh Red

Indeed, that was kinda what I started playing FPS multiplayer with. And then Unreal Tournament which was crazy fun as well. HL/CS though blew these games out of the water.
I must have spent hundreds of hours on the GOTY Unreal Tournament. I found the follow ups quite disappointing though.

Moby

Dick
I must have spent hundreds of hours on the GOTY Unreal Tournament. I found the follow ups quite disappointing though.
100% with you on this. 2004 was good but nowhere as good as the GOTY. The rocket launcher was sweet on that but yeah, GOTY was the real shit. Absolutely spent a lifetime playing that as well. Deck 16 was our favourite multiplayer map and there was also one that was basically one huge room with rocket launchers spawning at two ends. Absolute mayhem. :lol:

Bosws87

Medal Of Honor Allied Assault was the multiplayer game that got me played it for a solid 7/8 years.

Went back to it in lockdown and there was still a solid community of people i knew from back then.

only 19 years old, even got in some clan matches like the old days, nostalgia is great

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I've been thinking about my all time faves because if this thread. Genuinely think Breath of the Wild is right up there.
What other games do you enjoy? I have shamefully never played BOTW but my girlfriend now has a Nintendo Switch so I would love to 'borrow' that and play through it at some stage. I think on paper it's right up my street.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What other games do you enjoy? I have shamefully never played BOTW but my girlfriend now has a Nintendo Switch so I would love to 'borrow' that and play through it at some stage. I think on paper it's right up my street.
I like a broad range. Ocarina of Time was one of my favourites, so I guess it is not a surprise. Still, I have it over any other 'open-world' game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I like a broad range. Ocarina of Time was one of my favourites, so I guess it is not a surprise. Still, I have it over any other 'open-world' game.
I wish Nintendo games weren't so expensive otherwise I would absolutely pick it up. It's just annoying that years after their release they remain about £40.

Grib

100% with you on this. 2004 was good but nowhere as good as the GOTY. The rocket launcher was sweet on that but yeah, GOTY was the real shit. Absolutely spent a lifetime playing that as well. Deck 16 was our favourite multiplayer map and there was also one that was basically one huge room with rocket launchers spawning at two ends. Absolute mayhem. :lol:
Deck 16, that's a blast from the past haha, I can still see it. Gotta love some Gauntlet and November, quality maps all over the shop

The mad jumps. :lol:

Zen86

Deck 16, that's a blast from the past haha, I can still see it. Gotta love some Gauntlet and November, quality maps all over the shop

The mad jumps. :lol:
Theres still an online community believe it or not. I downloaded it a few months ago (it’s free to download now) for a nostalgic blast on Deck 16. It’s easily one of my favourite games of all time.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Last day of voting guys and girls! if anyone wants to get Alex Kidd into the finals, need some votes today!

please?

b82REZ

You don't understand what objectively means.