Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 1)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So we all saw the IGN Greatest Games contest a while back and safe to say, most people thought the system was a bit of a joke and not really representative of the best games of all time. A few of us in that thread thought we should do our own. I'm not the biggest gamer in here but as no one else has stepped up, here I am!

Here's how it will work:

Each Monday, I will set up a new round for the contest.
Each round will represent a different generation of gaming.
We will be starting with the Third Generation as this is when gaming became mainstream. I doubt many of you would have voted for a game from Magnavix Odyssey or Mattel Intellivision so stop your whining now!

The generations are below (BOLDED IS THE CURRENT ROUND FOR THIS THREAD):

Round 1 - Third Gen - NES, Master System, Atari 7800
Round 2 - Fourth Gen - Mega Drive, Neo Geo, SNES
Round 3 - Fifth Gen - Saturn, PS1, N64
Round 4 - Sixth Gen - Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox
Round 5 - Seventh Gen - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii
Round 6 - Eighth Gen - Wii U, PS4, Xbox One
Round 7 - Ninth Gen - Xbox Series X/S, PS5, Switch
Round 8 - Special Round 1 - PC Gaming
Round 9 - Special Round 2 - Handheld & Mobile Gaming
Round 10 - Bonus Round - (TBA)

For each round, please list your top 5 games for that generation in list view.
Please do this by Friday 11:59pm GMT
5th = 2 pts, 4th = 4 pts, 3rd = 6 pts, 2nd = 8 pts, 1st = 10 pts.
The top 2 games from each round will go through to the final round.
In the event of a tie, I will need to run a poll for 24hrs.
If you have voted, then changed your vote, please let me know, otherwise I may miss your vote by accident.
I will try to start each new round on the Monday after a vote round has finished.
At the opening post of each round, I will put in the results from the previous round and start the voting of the current round.
Once we have gone through the 10 rounds, I will make a FINAL Round thread where you all can vote for the final 20 nominees.
Then once that voting is done, I will post the top 20 in order from last to first and crown the overall winner.

I know this is probably not the BEST way but I doubt there is a BEST way to do this!

Remember, I have 2 kids, a full time job and in the middle of a house move so there may be times where I miss deadlines or post later than anticipated. Apologies in advance.

I hope this is fun and you guys enjoy it :D

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
1. Alex Kidd In Miracle World
2. Double Dragon
3. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
4. Cyber Shinobi
5. Altered Beast

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Great initiative! :)

While I did play NES as a kid, I only remember a handful of games. I'll come back stronger in round 2, 3, 4 and 8.

Bosws87

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Alex the Kid in Miracle World
4. Road Rash
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Arcade Version)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Difficult one to start with as a lot of Master System games were better on the Mega Drive so I'm saving those for the next round.

1. Tetris (NES)
2. Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
3. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
4. Metroid (NES)
5. Pinball (NES)

Also @Dirty Schwein please consider adding more than one category for handhold games.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So in rounds 1-7 you can only vote for console games of that generation, and not PC games of the same period? I think nine of my top ten would all be PC!

As for third gen, all I've really played is the original Super Mario, so I will give this a pass and wait for future rounds!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Would it be wise to create a separate thread for the chat? And just leave this one for the votes, would make collating it easier?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Would have loved to have been able to pick some Spectrum games nevermind. I didn't start with consoles until next week's picks so will join in then.

b82REZ

1. Super Mario Bros 3.
2. Sonic the Hedgehog.
3. The Legend of Zelda.
4. Tetris.
5. Alex Kidd.

OleBoiii

as should PC itself because there's just so many games :)
Yeah, PC games are hard to slot into this format. Maybe it should be a separate thread with 5 year intervals: 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 00-04, 05-09, 10-14, 15-today

That way we have 7 console generations and 7 PC generations. Alternatively, we mash them together so that every round we have a console vote and a PC vote. So for this round it would be PC games released between 1985 and 1989.

DavelinaJolie

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Tetris
3. Super Mario Bros
4. Maniac Mansion
5. Duck Tales

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Difficult one to start with as a lot of Master System games were better on the Mega Drive. As such I'm saving those for the next round.

1. Tetris (NES)
2. Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
3. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
4. Metroid (NES)
5. Contra (NES)

Also @Dirty Schwein please consider adding more than one category for handhold games.

Game Boy Original + Colour + Advance + Neogeo Pocket + GameGear
DS + PSP + PS Vita + 3DS

Should have separate categories I think, as should PC itself because there's just so many games :)

P.s. If you need any help collating the points or setting up threads etc then shoot me a DM and I'll be happy to help. It's a great idea!
Yeah, PC games are hard to slot into this format. Maybe it should be a separate thread with 5 year intervals: 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 00-04, 05-09, 10-14, 15-today

That way we have 7 console generations and 7 PC generations. Alternatively, we mash them together so that every round we have a console vote and a PC vote. So for this round it would be PC games released between 1985 and 1989.
So in rounds 1-7 you can only vote for console games of that generation, and not PC games of the same period? I think nine of my top ten would all be PC!

As for third gen, all I've really played is the original Super Mario, so I will give this a pass and wait for future rounds!
Made updates to the opening post to give PC, Handheld and Mobile more love. It's too difficult to integrate these into the console generations, especially PC. Hopefully the change will appease you guys and girls who are into PC gaming.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Looks good my dude. 10 rounds is a nice even number.
Thanks bud. I know I would ideally love to give PC and Handheld games the same treatment as console but then it would require double the work to count and the final will be 40 games, which feels too high where as the Top 20 greatest games of all time has a better ring to it :smirk:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Sounds awesome @Dirty Schwein but I think you'd be better doing it by years than by console generation otherwise you are really limiting PC games of which there are a massive amount in a GOAT list.

AaronRedDevil

I’ll see you guys in R3. Sega was the earliest but can’t remember any game on it. PS1 onwards.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The problem is that it's an impossible task. Don't really remember which games were on which console/from which generation.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Don't have anything for this round, but actually would have if it was the Amstrad CPC/Commodore 64 generation. :D

I agree with the folks saying that PC should be split into eras as well (or just rolled in with the console ones). Seems a bit odd having Theme Hospital and Starcraft in the same round as games that have come out in the past couple of years.

Maxii

Paad
1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Mega Man 2
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. R-Type
5. Metroid

paulscholes18

1: Sonic 2
2: Sonic chaos
3: Wonder boy 3
4: Streets of rage
5: Alex Kidd in miracle world

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Great idea. I'll jump in on Round 2. Never really played much NES unfortunately.

Some absolute bangers in Round 2 though!

Ainu

I appreciate WiiU and Switch are kinda hard to fit into the usual gen cycles, but the way it's presented here doesn't sit well. Switch as a PS5/Series X generation console? I'd just add Wii and WiiU to the PS360 era, even if the WiiU was very late, and put Switch in with PS4 and Xbox One. Intuitively, looking at the games, that seems like a better fit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I appreciate WiiU and Switch are kinda hard to fit into the usual gen cycles, but the way it's presented here doesn't sit well. Switch as a PS5/Series X generation console? I'd just add Wii and WiiU to the PS360 era, even if the WiiU was very late, and put Switch in with PS4 and Xbox One. Intuitively, looking at the games, that seems like a better fit.
Let's be fair, any choice for Wii U is basically a choice for Switch :)