Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 3)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Bust a Groove
3. Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
4. PES

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Daley Thompson's?
That was my Spectrum joystick wrecker. Can remember one on some kind of early computer - Electron something like that? Also the Spectrum had Hyper Sports and the Saturn had a really funky one.

Spoony

The People's President
:(

Xenogears is just something else. It's like the people who made it didn't understand how to make a videogame so decided instead to tell this really convoluted story full of psychoanalysis and religious allegory that sort of works but mostly just leaves you wondering how much further it can possibly go.

Edit - Similar to Evangelion

It needs remaking in HD2D!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm surprised at the number of picks myself, given it didn't get that much love in the FF thread, but happy.
Glad for you :)

I went in with high hopes as I only played it a few years ago after I beat 7 on the Switch but I just couldn't get into it.

The first disc is quite good and some of the characters are great - Selfie is delightful and I quite like Quistis - but then it kind of gets into this weird romantic territory with Squall and Rinoa and I found my interest waned. I pushed through right until the final boss which is about a 40 minute boss fight that I must have lost about 6/7 times before finally giving up and saying 'The End'. I watched the actual end on YouTube.

It's my fault really because I didn't learn the game properly. I needed to spend another 5 hours or so grinding and didn't have the patience.

You should be put down.
Yes.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
That was my Spectrum joystick wrecker. Can remember one on some kind of early computer - Electron something like that? Also the Spectrum had Hyper Sports and the Saturn had a really funky one.
Athlete Kings? The blisters I used to get on that. Christ. Used to play with mates and some of the faces that were pulled :lol: I ended up playing with a tea towel over my head to get into the zone and avoid eye contact from anyone else.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If Ocarina isn't in your top 3, does that mean you didn't play it at the time, or what?

I imagine going back to it now is a little jarring as it hasn't aged that well, and has been ripped off to the point the original might be seen as the copy, but it was a huge deal in its era. Just wondering who played it then and still give it a poor placement, really.
I did and it was fantastic but like Goldeneye I don't think it's held up too well technically. MM got my spot because its themes are still very unique.

Tbh I still would have happily put them both into the list but thought I'd include a few other games.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Glad for you :)

I went in with high hopes as I only played it a few years ago after I beat 7 on the Switch but I just couldn't get into it.

The first disc is quite good and some of the characters are great - Selfie is delightful and I quite like Quistis - but then it kind of gets into this weird romantic territory with Squall and Rinoa and I found my interest waned. I pushed through right until the final boss which is about a 40 minute boss fight that I must have lost about 6/7 times before finally giving up and saying 'The End'. I watched the actual end on YouTube.

It's my fault really because I didn't learn the game properly. I needed to spend another 5 hours or so grinding and didn't have the patience.

Yes.
You should have grinded on the Island Closest to Hell as it’s a easy to level up very quickly. Particularly now you can select 3x speed on the newer versions.

FF8 is great and Ultimecia is a wonderful final boss battle accompanied by some of the greatest music seen in a video game.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Athlete Kings? The blisters I used to get on that. Christ. Used to play with mates and some of the faces that were pulled :lol: I ended up playing with a tea towel over my head to get into the zone and avoid eye contact from anyone else.
That's it! Can remember one of the athletes with a massive afro - was a great party game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You should have grinded on the Island Closest to Hell as it’s a easy to level up very quickly. Particularly now you can select 3x speed on the newer versions.

FF8 is great and Ultimecia is a wonderful final boss battle accompanied by some of the greatest music seen in a video game.
I would have but I played the original version on my PSP. Those speed-up options are godsends tbh.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This is the most difficult generation for me because:

During the older generations, I was hugely into a variety of games but had to rely on my parents for games as well as swaps with mates so never got to play games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6.

In the generations after this one, I had the money to buy whatever I wanted but I acquired a taste for fighting games and only specific other titles so didn't play most bigger titles like Red Dead or whatever.

It was this current generation with PS One and N64 that I was still open for a wide variety of games AND had the money to buy whatever games I wanted so I played nearly all the game i wanted... Making a list of 5 games really difficult.

Irwin99

Anybody saying FF8 needs to be taken outside and left in the cold for the evening.

Except Damo, obviously. I love Damo.

(post sponsored by Damo)
Completed every mainline FF except 11 but VIII always holds a special place for me, though I acknowledge that VII and IX are more well rounded games. VIII initially had an even bigger and more ambitious scope that was said to stretch to 8 discs but they cut a lot of stuff and a lot of the lore is in the background rather than explicitly stated. You can literally miss what the relationship between Squall and Laguna really is if you don't click on one obscure character interaction near the game's end.

Damn the PS1/N64 (and Sega Saturn) era was a special one for gaming.

b82REZ

If Ocarina isn't in your top 3, does that mean you didn't play it at the time, or what?

I imagine going back to it now is a little jarring as it hasn't aged that well, and has been ripped off to the point the original might be seen as the copy, but it was a huge deal in its era. Just wondering who played it then and still give it a poor placement, really.
Growing up I had a PS1 and my brother had an N64. The console wars were a nightly fight in our house. I imagine that had impacted my enjoyment of it because I played it alongside my little brother, he also refused to get Majora's Mask and bought Snowboard Kids instead. We still argue about that to this day.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Gran Turismo 2
5. Syphon Filter

Moby

Dick
(I still have no idea what I'll do in that single measly little PC round)
Absolutely, that's crazy to have all PC games from history together. I don't know for sure but I sure spent absolute ages gaming on PC, especially with games like AoE, FM etc which just go on for eternity. Also LAN gaming was massive on PC and that was the absolute peak.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Round 2 of the contest is in the bag!

There were exactly 60 different games that got votes and the two games proceeding to the finals are:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (First non-Mario game to make the finals) and Super Mario World (Beat Mario Kart by a mere 4 points).

Below is a list of all 60 games and how many points they got in case you're interested in that.

Round 1
Super Mario Bros 3196
Super Mario Bros58
Legend Of Zelda56
Alex Kidd42
Sonic The Hedgehog40
Tetris40
Double Dragon30
Sonic 226
Mega Man 224
Duck Hunt22
Punch Out22
Streets Of Rage22
Super Mario Bros 222
Contra18
Tecmo Super Bowl18
Wonderboy 318
Double Dragon 216
Adventure Island14
California Games14
Duck Tales14
Altered Beast12
Mega Man 312
Blades Of Steel10
Castlevania 310
Final Fantasy10
Galaga10
Kid Icarus8
R-Type8
Sonic Chaos8
The Legend Of Kage8
Castlevania6
Earthbound6
Kickle Cubile6
Legend Of Zelda 26
Metroid6
Road Rash6
Wonderboy6
Cyber Shinobi4
Darkman4
Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper4
Maniac Mansion4
McDonald Land4
Ninja Gaiden4
Out Run4
Aladdin2
Batman2
Psycho Fox2
Turtles 22
Willow2
World Championship Dodgeball2

Round 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
134​
Super Mario World
114​
Mario Kart
100​
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
68​
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
64​
Streets Of Rage 2
58​
Chrono Trigger
56​
Super Metroid
54​
Final Fantasy VI
52​
Micro Machines
36​
ISS Deluxe
34​
Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)
30​
Golden Axe
24​
NBA Jam
24​
Desert Strike
18​
Donkey Kong Country
18​
Killer Instinct
18​
Mortal Kombat
16​
Sonic The Hedgehog
16​
Aladdin
14​
F-Zero
12​
Flashback
10​
Mega Man X
10​
Puzzle Bobble
10​
Sensible Soccer
10​
Shining Force 2
10​
Toe Jame & Earl
10​
Earthworm Jim
8​
John Madden NFL 94
8​
Lufia 2
8​
PGA Tour Golf 2
8​
Road Rash 2
8​
Samurai Showdown
8​
Super Ghoulds 'n' Ghosts
8​
Super International Cricket
8​
Final Fantasy IV
6​
Micky Mania
6​
Micro Machines 2
6​
Super Bomberman
6​
Test Drive: The Duel
6​
Donkey Kong Country 2
4​
Dynamite Headdy
4​
FIFA International Soccer
4​
Ghostbusters
4​
John Madden NFL 92
4​
John Madden NFL 95
4​
Mickey Mouse: World Of Illusion
4​
Mortal Kombat 2
4​
Secret Of Mana
4​
Star Fox
4​
Super Mario Land
4​
Super Off Road
4​
Jungle Strike
2​
NHL 94
2​
Paper Boy
2​
Sim City
2​
Super Smash TV
2​
Super Tennis
2​
Virtua Racing
2​
The Revenge Of Shinobi
2​

So now onto Round 3! Please read the rules carefully before voting.

Each Monday, I will set up a new round for the contest.
Each round will represent a different generation of gaming.

The generations are below (BOLDED IS THE CURRENT ROUND FOR THIS THREAD):

Round 1 - Third Gen - NES, Master System, Atari 7800
Round 2 - Fourth Gen - Mega Drive, Neo Geo, SNES
Round 3 - Fifth Gen - Saturn, PS1, N64
Round 4 - Sixth Gen - Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox
Round 5 - Seventh Gen - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii
Round 6 - Eighth Gen - Wii U, PS4, Xbox One
Round 7 - Ninth Gen - Xbox Series X/S, PS5, Switch
Round 8 - Special Round 1 - PC Gaming
Round 9 - Special Round 2 - Handheld & Mobile Gaming
Round 10 - Bonus Round - (TBA)

For each round, please list your top 5 games for that generation in list view.
Please do this by Friday 11:59pm GMT
5th = 2 pts, 4th = 4 pts, 3rd = 6 pts, 2nd = 8 pts, 1st = 10 pts.
The top 2 games from each round will go through to the final round.
In the event of a tie, I will need to run a poll for 24hrs.
If you have voted, then changed your vote, please let me know, otherwise I may miss your vote by accident.
I will try to start each new round on the Monday after a vote round has finished.
At the opening post of each round, I will put in the results from the previous round and start the voting of the current round.
Once we have gone through the 10 rounds, I will make a FINAL Round thread where you all can vote for all the finalists.
Then once that voting is done, I will post the finalists in order from last to first and crown the overall winner.

I know this is probably not the BEST way but I doubt there is a BEST way to do this!

Remember, I have 2 kids, a full time job and in the middle of a house move so there may be times where I miss deadlines or post later than anticipated. Apologies in advance.

I hope this is fun and you guys enjoy it :D
Super Street Fighter II Turbo was not released on any of those consoles, unless you’re adding the 3DO. :p

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
1. Goldeneye
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Mario 64
4. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
5. Tekken 3

Never played Ocarina of Time. Evidently I missed out.

Zen86

1. Final Fantasy VII
  2. GoldenEye
  3. Resident Evil II
  4. Mario Kart 64
  5. FIFA 98
Too much to choose from.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
3. Medal of Honor
4. Driver
5. Wipeout 2097

Revan

Assumptionman
What is happening with Ocarina of Time? It won the Caf's best game ever a few years back when we did this but now is in danger of not advancing in the next round.

hobbers

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Ridge Racer Type 4
3. Goldeneye
4. Colin McRae Rally 2.0
5. Driver

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That was such a lovely game. Not good enough for lists like these, but still something I have fond memories of.
I remember playing the demo of that and Medieval... Loved them both so bought them.