Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 3)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Glad for you :)

I went in with high hopes as I only played it a few years ago after I beat 7 on the Switch but I just couldn't get into it.

The first disc is quite good and some of the characters are great - Selfie is delightful and I quite like Quistis - but then it kind of gets into this weird romantic territory with Squall and Rinoa and I found my interest waned. I pushed through right until the final boss which is about a 40 minute boss fight that I must have lost about 6/7 times before finally giving up and saying 'The End'. I watched the actual end on YouTube.

It's my fault really because I didn't learn the game properly. I needed to spend another 5 hours or so grinding and didn't have the patience.
Yeah, the issue is the battles can be a bit broken with the scaling system so some can be really tough while if you utilise the junction system (I was eight at the time so didn't), it can make the game a lot easier apparently.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah, the issue is the battles can be a bit broken with the scaling system so some can be really tough while if you utilise the junction system (I was eight at the time so didn't), it can make the game a lot easier apparently.
You can break the game before you fight Ifrit

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Italian Job
Spyro the Dragon
Premier Manager 99
Toy Story 2
Street Sk8er

Bosws87

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What is happening with Ocarina of Time? It won the Caf's best game ever a few years back when we did this but now is in danger of not advancing in the next round.
I placed it even though I could never afford an N64. People were talking shit about it in the sibling IGN thread though so I don’t know what’s changed.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What is happening with Ocarina of Time? It won the Caf's best game ever a few years back when we did this but now is in danger of not advancing in the next round.
Mindblowing some of these lists. It's why it should have been done by console at least. Because it's clear a lot of folk just don't have experience with both consoles.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Jesus christ how did I miss round 2. Anyways:

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. ISS 98
3. Mario 64
4. Crash 3
5. Resident Evil

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Mindblowing some of these lists. It's why it should have been done by console at least. Because it's clear a lot of folk just don't have experience with both consoles.
I've never had a Nintendo I was always Sega / PS1 so probably console would be the way to go - I can see the voting telling me I should have played some of those Nintendo games but what can you do?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I did consider this but then:

If I included every console, it would be a never ending job.

Or I would pick certain consoles and people would complain why their favourite console isn't being represented.

With all that said, I was pretty sure everyone played Zelda OOT.

Ainu

I did consider this but then:

If I included every console, it would be a never ending job.

Or I would pick certain consoles and people would complain why their favourite console isn't being represented.

With all that said, I was pretty sure everyone played Zelda OOT.
I guess that can only be a misconception. It's widely considered a classic and I've often seen it top lists of best game ever, but how many people owned an N64 compared to a PS1 back then? This is not a slight, but I think its reputation was established by the gaming press, because these were the people who had access to all platforms and could judge all games against eachother. And it was before the internet was widespread, so the gaming press was still the most important voice of the community.

If you were a kid or teenager in those days, you'd have to hope your parents would get you one of the three major consoles. But more than one? I don't know about other parents, but yeah no chance with mine. So I guess pure statistics dictate that PS1 games would get the overwhelming majority of votes here. I did actually play it a couple of years ago on the WiiU, but it just didn't have the impact it would've had back in 1998.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I guess that can only be a misconception. It's widely considered a classic and I've often seen it top lists of best game ever, but how many people owned an N64 compared to a PS1 back then? This is not a slight, but I think its reputation was established by the gaming press, because these were the people who had access to all platforms and could judge all games against eachother. And it was before the internet was widespread, so the gaming press was still the most important voice of the community.

If you were a kid or teenager in those days, you'd have to hope your parents would get you one of the three major consoles. But more than one? I don't know about other parents, but yeah no chance with mine. So I guess pure statistics dictate that PS1 games would get the overwhelming majority of votes here. I did actually play it a couple of years ago on the WiiU, but it just didn't have the impact it would've had back in 1998.
Some truth here I think. I had both because I was a spoiled kid but there's an absence of N64 games and it surprises me how few people have picked other popular games like Banjo Kazooie and Mario Kart 64. I suppose it was the case that N64 games were more expensive due to the carts and PS1 games were cheaper due to CDs. Suspect less people owned the console.

Ps on my phone on low b82rez typing quickly so if this doesnt make sense, blame that

Last edited:

Bosws87

Some truth here. I had both because I was a spoiled kid but there's an absence of N64 games and it really surprises me how few people have picked other popular games like Banjo Kazooie and Mario Kart 64. I suppose it was also the case that N64 games were more expensive due to the carts and PS1 games were cheaper due to CDs.
PS1 was a far superior console and years ahead of the N64 it wasn't even close.

I think people are forgetting Sony dominated completely, the n64 was miles behind.

Think it was roughly 100million playstations to 30 million n64s, maybe its nostalgia but people seem to think they were pretty close when you see the figures its pretty obvious why most people's lists are PlayStation dominated.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
PS1 was a far superior console and years ahead of the N64 it wasn't even close.

I think people are forgetting Sony dominated completely, the n64 was miles behind.

Think it was roughly 100million playstations to 30 million n64s, maybe its nostalgia but people seem to think they were pretty close when you see the figures its pretty obvious why most people's lists are PlayStation dominated.
Also a good point

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
People got PS1 because:

- Came out first
- Games were FAR cheaper, especially second hand games.
- Was the cool new thing in town, so everyone were seeing new IPs like Tekken, Tomb Raider, Crash etc.
- Had more mature games. Most kids that owned SNES for example were getting to an age where they wanted games with an edge like Resident Evil or MGS rather than family-friendly games like Mario.
- Loads more games than N64

I'm sure there are more reasons but the above were quite key I reckon. Now the same players that wanted those edgy games are now looking for simplicity as they have family's and jobs so have dropped PlayStation for Switch (like me).

Oh how things have gone full circle :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Think next round should have same franchise as the top two. :lol:
Hope not. FFX sucked, and while I didn’t play XII, everyone tends to agree that it was not as great as the peak of FF (4-9).

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Dear god. You guys have gone 25 years back in time to do console wars.
To be fair, at least they were different consoles with a different collection of games, which makes it a bit more valid than current console wars with nuclear bitching about a handful of exclusives that anyone gives a toss about and uh, fecking controller design and framerates. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Suikoden 2
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Final Fantasy 9
5. Star Wars: Jedi power battles

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Silly hard this

1. FFVIII
2. FFVII
3. MGS
4. Gran Turismo
Was going to spend ages debating over the last slot but it won't matter the winner is going to be clear here anyway
5. Dead Ball Zone (I would so play this again)

Hard choices to leave out at number 5
Diehard Trilogy (I mean this should probably actually easily be in the top 5 if we're being realistic)
Premier Manager 99
Syphon Filter
Destruction Derby
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tony Hawk
Toca Touring Cars
Broken Sword
Tenchu

The list goes on
Omg Die hard trilogy. That was bloody amazing. Nostalgia boner.

Bosws87

Silly hard this

1. FFVIII
2. FFVII
3. MGS
4. Gran Turismo
Was going to spend ages debating over the last slot but it won't matter the winner is going to be clear here anyway
5. Dead Ball Zone (I would so play this again)

Hard choices to leave out at number 5
Diehard Trilogy (I mean this should probably actually easily be in the top 5 if we're being realistic)
Premier Manager 99
Syphon Filter
Destruction Derby
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tony Hawk
Toca Touring Cars
Broken Sword
Tenchu

The list goes on
Broken sword, how have i forgotten about George Stobbart and Co, what a game that was the mobile ports are great to

That goat though!!

Irwin99

Have to agree with the whole 'teenage edge' of the PS1 era winning over Nintendo and Sega as i had all three consoles at different points. I joined the FF series at 7 and when i finally got around to 9 i looked at it and thought 'this is too cartoony for me, I'm into resident evil/metal gear/legacy of kain/Tomb Raider/FF VIII' etc....although i still bought pokemon stadium on the N64 as a guilty pleasure :lol: Took me years to appreciate how great FF IX was.

Sega Saturn was a decent console it was just overpriced as hell. Stuff like Panzer dragoon Saga and Nights were great though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein I had the demo, soundtrack was indeed banging
Man there so many hidden little gems like this in PS1... Makes me sad when I think about how much I used to love games back then.

Other random games I had that no one probably played:

Overblood
Hard Edge
Fighting Force
Actua Soccer 3
Alundra
Kensei: Sacred Fist
Forsaken
C-12
Bushido Blade
Bloody Roar
Heart of Darkness
Libero Grande
Abe's Odyssey
Rival Schools
Fear Effect
Parasite Eve 2
Future Cop LAPD
In Cold Blood

Oh and my personal favourite (to laugh at) was Mission Impossible, where when the guards catches you, your character puts his hand up and said "Hi, my name's Bob and I'm looking for my dog" then gets smacked in the head by the enemies machine gun butt :lol:

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Clearly that vote was rigged and the result should be voided.

SuperiorXI

I never had an N64 as a kid so my picks were all PS1, I missed out on some gems for sure but I feel the PS1 had so many amazing games I got the best of the two. Tried N64 games many years later and they just didn't impact like they would have on release.

Brocky

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Silent Hill
3. Syphon Filter
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
5. Gran Turismo 2

Honourable mentions for Syphon Filter 2, Colin McRae Rally, Twisted Metal 2 & Tenchu.

MGS & Silent Hill are my two favourite game series' of all time and it was so difficult to choose between them. I almost went full Eurovision and voted tactically in favour of Silent Hill, but I just couldn't do it.

I'm quite surprised at the little mention of Syphon Filter. What a brilliant game! I always get the feeling it wasn't marketed very well and was obviously unfortunate to be released not long after MGS.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Silent Hill
3. Syphon Filter
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
5. Gran Turismo 2

Honourable mentions for Syphon Filter 2, Colin McRae Rally, Twisted Metal 2 & Tenchu.

MGS & Silent Hill are my two favourite game series' of all time and it was so difficult to choose between them. I almost went full Eurovision and voted tactically in favour of Silent Hill, but I just couldn't do it.

I'm quite surprised at the little mention of Syphon Filter. What a brilliant game! I always get the feeling it wasn't marketed very well and was obviously unfortunate to be released not long after MGS.
Yeah, I liked Syphon Filter a lot as well, but when I was playing it as a kid I just couldn't shake the impression of it being a bit of an off-brand MGS. :(

Brocky

Yeah, I liked Syphon Filter a lot as well, but when I was playing it as a kid I just couldn't shake the impression of it being a bit of an off-brand MGS. :(
I think I played it before MGS, if memory serves. I guess that's why it has stuck with me and not been completely overshadowed.

Ainu

Anyone remember this? What a game with a badass soundtrack!
Yeah that was a blast. One of the first games I actually bought myself with some pocket money I had saved up, instead of having to wait for birthdays and stuff. I loved the look of it since I had one of those remote controlled toy cars that you could flip over when I was a bit younger, similar in design to those in the game. Pretty sure I still have the case and disc lying around somewhere.