Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

hobbers

Yearly sports games are being treated as updates rather than sequels. The reasoning was discussed in the previous round.

Suffice to say, no other sports game (maybe apart from Football Manager) has a chance to make the finals from here on in.
You could say the same for trash shooters like cod and battlefield though. Glorified updates not sequels.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You could say the same for trash shooters like cod and battlefield though. Glorified updates not sequels.
But they are numbered sequels with each game having their own storyline? I don't play too many of these but that's how I understand them...

Sports games usually release a new one every year and the main difference are the updated squads and tiny gameplay mechanics.

@Dirty Schwein - really appreciate the effort going into this dude.
Thank you mate, appreciate it!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hard gen for me as I'd effectively defected to the PC realm by this point. I know titles like Elder Scrolls and Fallout came out on these consoles... but they are PC games(!) having said that, I'm sure some have the sole experience of playing them [painfully] on consoles with little to no hands on with the machines the game were intended for, so it's a tough one as we're then celebrating the game as a game, rather than feats made specifically for this generation of consoles. The lines get blurred like that for a lot of titles that will probably amass positions in the top 5, if not top 3.

Ironic that by this point, arcade titles were nearly all indistinguishable from their home to console, whilst there then became the gulf in what the console version of PC titles became.

Would be interesting to see what console specific IP's look like as a list at the end of this round.
Yeah I don’t know what to do with TES games, as I’ve logged hundreds of hours in Skyrim but mine is so heavily modded it barely resembles the original game. I wouldn’t bother playing it on console.

Also, this is where it really gets confusing when I only played the remaster next-gen on the PS4. So this list will be take some consideration…or maybe I’ll just put the first ones that come to mind. :cool:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Shameful the amount of Bethesda games that are getting votes. Terrible company with terrible games.

hobbers

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. The Last of Us
3. Motorstorm
4. Metal Gear Solid 4
5. Mass Effect 2

Kinda wanted to include The Orange Box and L4D2 but they're all valve games more than console games.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Dragon Age: Origins
5. The Last of Us Battlefield 3

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
1) GTA 5
2) The Last of Us
3) Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
4) Persona 5
5) Wipeout HD

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I don’t know what to do with TES games, as I’ve logged hundreds of hours in Skyrim but mine is so heavily modded it barely resembles the original game. I wouldn’t bother playing it on console.

Also, this is where it really gets confusing when I only played the remaster next-gen on the PS4. So this list will be take some consideration…or maybe I’ll just put the first ones that come to mind. :cool:
Yeah, defo.

I think this'll be the most surreal round of the entire process as I reckon the top 5 will barely represent its gen!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just tallied up pages 1-3 and I must say, this is by far the closest it's been.

Surprisingly, there are less variety in games but the top 5 games are neck and neck. Usually there's a runaway favourite but this time, any of these can make it. It's only day 1 though so can expect things to change.

With that said, the game at number 6 has been in the most lists but not enough number 1 picks :(

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Also, not a single vote for Gears Of War? I was so reluctant to leave it out of my top 5 but had to as I played my top 5 games a little more as I never had the Xbox 360...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
1. BioShock
2. Dead Space
3. Fallout 3
4. Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
5. The Last of Us

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Also, not a single vote for Gears Of War? I was so reluctant to leave it out of my top 5 but had to as I played my top 5 games a little more as I never had the Xbox 360...
Was nearly in mine in 5th place, but I had to have The Last of Us in there and Gears isn't as good as any of the other games on my list. Shout out to Alan Wake, too. Just missed out!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Dead Space how could I forget that horror gem.
Never completed it though...abit scary.

CloneMC16

1. Mass Effect 2
2. The Last of Us
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. inFamous 2
5. Tales of Xillia

Mario Kart Wii and Modern Warfare 2 are also special mentions. I put hundreds of hours into them. Most likely thousands into Mario Kart Wii. I definitely started to play a much wider variety of games this gen. I mostly stuck to football and platformer gamers in prior gens.

1. BioShock
2. Dead Space
3. Fallout 3
4. Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
5. The Last of Us
I feel like almost nobody played that game, but it was great. Pretty underrated I think. Ninja Theory are a pretty talented studio.

Mercurial

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
Mass Effect
Super Mario Galaxy
GTA5
Mass Effect 2

CloneMC16

I heard nothing but good things but I tried to play on PC and the port was absolutely rubbish. Don't think it worked with my controller or something
That sucks. I played it on the PS3 and it worked well.

DavelinaJolie

It has aged pretty poorly, though I had it in my list initially. When I thought about it though I was thinking more of the remaster, so changed my vote.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Surprised it hasn't come to PC actually.

I played it earlier in the year on the Series S. It's a good game, a lot like FFX but better I think.
I've heard so many good things. Only negative I've heard is that the animations between before and after battle takes a lot of time, do grinding becomes a chore and something not negative but not positive either being battles are supposed to be hard.

I've seen some half decent emulation, but they aren't working perfectly yet, so waiting before jumping that train as I don't want any risk of getting far in just to have to start over.

Think I read somewhere that the studio that made it (mistwalker I believe, xenoblade folks) got really frustrated at working with Microsoft, so they decided to not make anything with them anymore. But my memory is terrible at best, and this case is a baaaad case of my memory.

youngrell

I loved finding how to beat opponents. The tactics needed against high stamina fighters or big punchers made for some really exciting fights, almost stressful.
Haha yeah it was intense, you actually needed the break in between rounds.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
How is the house move going anyway @Dirty Schwein ?
It's an absolute shit show but thanks for asking :lol:

Meant to move before my wife gave birth... But we're moving this Thursday, a week before babies first birthday!

Our buyer also exchanged so late that I only have a few days to pack the entire house and look after 2 kids and am on a big project at work.

Madness :lol:

Bosws87

1. The Last of Us
2. Portal 2
3. Gears of War
4.Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
5. Super Mario Galaxy

God of War 3 deserves to be on there somewhere but i can only have 5.

Bosws87

Oh damn I forgot about Portal 2. I'll have to go put that in
One of the best single player games ever created the story is amazing which is incredible considering its really just a puzzle game :lol: