Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Pretty sure caf is gonna end up more outraged on the final list we end up from this activity as compared to the original IGN one which triggered this whole thing. :lol:

The caf fecking loves a good moan.
If you axe me, they should spend less time moaning and more time playing a diverse variety of games ;)

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Knowing you, yes. It's atmospheric and subtly driven by the story, in a similar way to those walking sims you enjoy. You'll die a lot.
It's on PS Now so I can access that. Hopefully it's a download and not a stream. Or there's a bundle with Inside (edit: just checked and it got good reviews) for £21. Have you played Inside? If so, any good?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I dont game much, as my list will probably show, but....

1. The Last of Us
2. Sleeping Dogs
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Uncharted 2
5. GTA 5

DavelinaJolie

It's on PS Now so I can access that. Hopefully it's a download and not a stream. Or there's a bundle with Inside (edit: just checked and it got good reviews) for £21. Have you played Inside? If so, any good?
Inside is alright, but I think Limbo is better in all ways. It's bleak, but really very beautiful. That bundle has been reduced before (at least it has on Xbox) so I'd probably wait for a sale.

Siorac

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls
3. Mass Effect
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Dragon Age: Origins

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah it's very good but maybe try LIMBO first and then INSIDE if you like it? It's regularly on sale for around £5/10

b82REZ

Inside was £1.89 on the Switch Black Friday sale. I grabbed it and really enjoyed the little I've played.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I know what you're saying but if these games don't get listed here then where will they get tagged? Some of them are truly great videogames, aren't we trying to ascertain the greatest videogame here regardless of gen and platform? I understand there's some blurred lines going on but if Skyrim, Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 don't get some placement in the eventual list that would be a crime. Also, if these games are getting listed by console players on that gen it's still relevant ... I think.
I think that's one for @Dirty Schwein to clarify :lol:

But, in the spirit of listing these games per gen, they're titles that are immediately associated with PC, because that's where they're from and all could be listed with zero association to PS3, 360 or Wii, which is the opposite of representing those consoles as those games are acclaimed without those consoles even existing, which is opposed to gen specific console titles, which were feats for those consoles and exclusive.

Just feels like a weird thing to happen in a specific category for: PS3, 360 and Wii! A top 5 that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the consoles in question!

Volumiza

But, in the spirit of listing these games per gen, they're titles that are immediately associated with PC, because that's where they're from and all could be listed with zero association to PS3, 360 or Wii, which is the opposite of representing those consoles as those games or acclaimed without those consoles even existing.

Just feels like a weird thing to happen in a specific category for: PS3, 360 and Wii! A top 5 that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the consoles in question!
Rock, paper, scissors? Best of 3?

@Dirty Schwein - what say you?

Siorac

But, in the spirit of listing these games per gen, they're titles that are immediately associated with PC, because that's where they're from and all could be listed with zero association to PS3, 360 or Wii, which is the opposite of representing those consoles as those games are acclaimed without those consoles even existing, which is opposed to gen specific console titles, which were feats for those consoles and exclusive.

Mass Effect, one of your examples, originally came out on the Xbox360 and only got ported to PC the next year.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy’s skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've hovered over LIMBO so many times on the PSN and never done it. I should do it?
If you like bleak indie games, the answer is a definite yes. I loved it!

I was only just thinking the same when reading the PES posts :lol:
Bloody PES :lol:

I've booted gears off for limbo.
Please tag me when you do this or I may miss your vote by accident.

£21?!!? I got it for like £3 on Switch.

I also really enjoyed Inside by the way. Got it for under £2 on Switch.

Rock, paper, scissors? Best of 3?

@Dirty Schwein - what say you?
I see your points but not sure how that can ever be tackled? If I limited each console generation to only exclusives, the lists would probably be small and not varied. I guess a game like Mass Effect 2 would have had it's PC release and Console release not too far apart? So people like me, who barely played PC will have enjoyed it the same time as a PC player?

At the end of the day, this format is going through the generations to give every generation a chance (and not have a list where only the younger people take over or people vote with recency bias) but ultimately is about the best game and not the best generational game... that would probably be my answer :nervous:

Volumiza

£21?!!? I got it for like £3 on Switch.
At the end of the day, this format is going through the generations to give every generation a chance but ultimately is about the best game and not the best generational game... that would probably be my answer :nervous:
[/QUOTE]
Good answer :lol:

I can't stick a list of my favourite games of this gen without including Skyrim. No way.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
At the end of the day, this format is going through the generations to give every generation a chance but ultimately is about the best game and not the best generational game... that would probably be my answer :nervous:
Good answer :lol:

I can't stick a list of my favourite games of this gen without including Skyrim. No way.
[/QUOTE]
I'm still to start it - I just got it on VR so gonna do it that way.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol:

Hey, I'm just asking questions...

Some gen-specific games are going to miss out, undoubtedly, however, which is surreal, I'm sure most would agree.

Volumiza

Some gen-specific games are going to miss out, undoubtedly, however, which is surreal, I'm sure most would agree.
No more surreal than Half Life or Half Life 2 being omitted though? That fact is causing me sleepless nights (not really but if anything was going to, that travesty should!).

Edit: Just missed my palindrome count of 8118!

shaky

1. Xcom: Enemy Within
2. Mass Effect
3. Skyrim
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Dishonored

*edited

Last edited:

Minkaro

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. The Last of Us
5. Bioshock

Ainu

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Dark Souls
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Bioshock

I'm cheating a little here as I actually didn't do a proper playthrough of Dark Souls until the remaster on PS4, but I want to put my vote in the round where it's most likely to make a difference. Once again, lots of excellent games miss out. Uncharted 2 is a big one, both Elder Scrolls titles and the lovely Fable 2. It's a pretty hard choice between Mass Effect 1 and 2 as well.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
How am I the only one that voted for Street Fighter 4? The bloody game revived the fighting game genre ffs :lol:

b82REZ

Could be right actually. looks like they ported it to 360 afterwards, i'll amend my list, cheers!
You're probably right. It was around this gen I stopped paying any attention to MS games for the most part. I know it was definitely on Xbone because I got it for PC at the same time.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
This round has further shown there should have been a system-based approach. It's the only fair excuse you can give to these specimens.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
1. Erm am I still allowed to vote for PES 09?
2. Mario Galaxy
3. Mortal Kombat 9
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. MGS 4

Irwin99

My least favourite console generation. Gonna have to agree with some about TLOU. Tried to get into it three times and the gameplay just does nothing for me. Surprised there's not been more MGS4 which is a game that I think gets way too much praise for what it is.

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Dragon Age Origins
  3. Dark Souls 1 (only appreciated this on the PS4 remaster but still played it on here)
  4. Bioshock
  5. AVP (yeah i know :lol: )

Moby

Dick
1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Dark Souls
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Bioshock

I'm cheating a little here as I actually didn't do a proper playthrough of Dark Souls until the remaster on PS4, but I want to put my vote in the round where it's most likely to make a difference. Once again, lots of excellent games miss out. Uncharted 2 is a big one, both Elder Scrolls titles and the lovely Fable 2. It's a pretty hard choice between Mass Effect 1 and 2 as well.
Good list. I really should have Bioshock instead one of the two ME titles but for those are two of the greatest games ever and I don't wanna choose between them. I'd definitely have UC2 over TLOU, of course that's just me and as much as I admired TLOU in terms of the brilliant characters and narrative, as a game it doesn't come anywhere near the amount of fun I had playing UC2. So many epic sequences that you miss playing once you are done with them, while there isn't even one sequence in TLOU that I ever wanna play again. The train sequence itself in UC2 is absolute quality.

Coxy

My least favourite console generation. Gonna have to agree with some about TLOU. Tried to get into it three times and the gameplay just does nothing for me. Surprised there's not been more MGS4 which is a game that I think gets way too much praise for what it is.

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Dragon Age Origins
  3. Dark Souls 1 (only appreciated this on the PS4 remaster but still played it on here)
  4. Bioshock
  5. AVP (yeah i know :lol: )
My favourite generation for me. Playing on the 360 with my mates (online) is an experience I'll never have again. Plus I was in my prime gaming wise :D Nobody could touch me on Call of Duty 2.

Ainu

Good list. I really should have Bioshock instead one of the two ME titles but for those are two of the greatest games ever and I don't wanna choose between them. I'd definitely have UC2 over TLOU, of course that's just me and as much as I admired TLOU in terms of the brilliant characters and narrative, as a game it doesn't come anywhere near the amount of fun I had playing UC2. So many epic sequences that you miss playing once you are done with them, while there isn't even one sequence in TLOU that I ever wanna play again. The train sequence itself in UC2 is absolute quality.
Yeah I could've easily put both Mass Effect titles in there but Bioshock is too good to leave out. A top 5 is limiting enough without including multiple games of the same series.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The PES series is a series, not a game.

Michael Masi’d it.
Yearly sports games are being treated as updates rather than sequels. The reasoning was discussed in the previous round.

Suffice to say, no other sports game (maybe apart from Football Manager) has a chance to make the finals from here on in.