Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Dark Souls is a must for any serious gamer. Not to have the badge of ‘getting gud’, but to experience the beauty and joy of meeting the Hydra, Moth Lady, that dragon, the…other guys, etc.
I am a serious gamer i'll have you know! I just don't like that sort of game.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If I had to try and pick 5 games i'd go with:

1: Warhammer: Total War 2
2: Skyrim
3: Counterstrike: Global Offensive
4: XCOM 2
5: Prey/ League of Legends (just have to have League in here)
Just tallying up PAGE 6 and most of these are not PS3 / Xbox 360 games.

Any chance you can do your list again and re-post (not edit) please?

Cheers

Tom Van Persie

No relation
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
5. Battlefield 3

Ainu

As amazing as it is it still a niche game and its difficulty turns a lot of people off. It'll most likely make my list, but like the Souls games I don't think it'll finish high overall.

Although I do expect Bloodborne to do well in the next round.
There generally seems to be a lot of love for Bloodborne on here, so it's in with a chance. Lots of heavy hitters in the next round though, so who knows.

Irwin99

People obviously can pick whatever the hell they want but PES as the winner of the last round is a little... disappointing. Looking at the games below that and GTA and it doesn't seem right at all. But whatever ;)

I can see why some people have mixed feelings about the Souls series. The plot is all lore, the games are very punishing if you're new to the experience and everything can be overwhelming. Also, sometimes the game just does not give ANY hints on what certain functions do, e.g., Dark and White world tendencies in Demon's Souls is just SO unintuitive. To get a white world tendency I literally had to kill myself every time I won a boss fight by jumping off a ledge and resetting.

Where the Souls series really shines however is overcoming the challenge and immersing yourself in the world/level design. I'm replaying DS1 and it's got one of the best level designs i've ever seen in a game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
People obviously can pick whatever the hell they want but PES as the winner of the last round is a little... disappointing. Looking at the games below that and GTA and it doesn't seem right at all. But whatever ;)

I can see why some people have mixed feelings about the Souls series. The plot is all lore, the games are very punishing if you're new to the experience and everything can be overwhelming. Also, sometimes the game just does not give ANY hints on what certain functions do, e.g., Dark and White world tendencies in Demon's Souls is just SO unintuitive. To get a white world tendency I literally had to kill myself every time I won a boss fight by jumping off a ledge and resetting.

Where the Souls series really shines however is overcoming the challenge and immersing yourself in the world/level design. I'm replaying DS1 and it's got one of the best level designs i've ever seen in a game.
Can I ask: do you think you’re looking at PES through a modern lens, where the market is saturated with meh and football games have shown no progression in almost a decade Becoming utterly formulaic and predictable?

The PS2 PES series was an absolute revelation at the time; a phenomenon and, I’d argue the apex of the genre in terms of progression and development until the weight of expectation consumed Konami and they ‘lost it’. I won’t argue whether it should or should not have won, but it definitely has just as much merit as other games and was the definitive leap for football games that hasn’t been seen since.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I played PES 6 last year and it's still way more fun than anything since. Even master league feels better. Honestly a remaster with HD textures and stat tracking in ML would be gold.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Can I ask: do you think you’re looking at PES through a modern lens, where the market is saturated with meh and football games have shown no progression in almost a decade Becoming utterly formulaic and predictable?

The PS2 PES series was an absolute revelation at the time; a phenomenon and, I’d argue the apex of the genre in terms of progression and development until the weight of expectation consumed Konami and they ‘lost it’. I won’t argue whether it should or should not have won, but it definitely has just as much merit as other games and was the definitive leap for football games that hasn’t been seen since.
Also remember that a lot of people may not have played games like MGS 2/3 or other games because there were so many games in that gen, not everyone got to play everything but we ALL played PES for days on end, especially this being a football forum, I suspect this to be the case even more so.

Bosws87

Also remember that a lot of people may not have played games like MGS 2/3 or other games because there were so many games in that gen, not everyone got to play everything but we ALL played PES for days on end, especially this being a football forum, I suspect this to be the case even more so.
You don't have to tell us theres a large proportion of people that just buy and play mediocre games over and over again i've seen these threads :lol:

Pes 6 was amazing and a key player in my years at university, but i have little time for people that keep supporting and buying the same game again and again (fifa)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You don't have to tell us theres a large proportion of people that just buy and play mediocre games over and over again i've seen these threads :lol:

Pes 6 was amazing and a key player in my years at university, but i have little time for people that keep supporting and buying the same game again and again (fifa)
Are you me? :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’ve never played PES, but I do think voting in a sports game when it perfected or reinvented their respective sport that generation is perfectly acceptable.

Irwin99

Actually you're 100% right now that I think about it and I remember how many hours i used to sink into them. I'm projecting a dislike of what they've become rather than remembering the fun I actually had with them. I have a similar feeling towards Assassin's Creed sometimes and then i remember that the old games were actually really good.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes, true.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Actually you're 100% right now that I think about it and I remember how many hours i used to sink into them. I'm projecting a dislike of what they've become rather than remembering the fun I actually had with them. I have a similar feeling towards Assassin's Creed sometimes and then i remember that the old games were actually really good.
Fair play. I think some games suffer from this: - sins of the father(son): Benjamin Button style. - and are associated with what they became rather than what they were as the fresh-faced revelations of their own time.

It’s funny that something can start out as everything that’s right with an industry (innovation, boundary pushing, etc.) and end up being everything that’s wrong with it a few years down the line, when they’ve got a formula to rinse a-now established fanbase and do the bare minimum to justify their yearly release.

Bosws87

Fair play. I think some games suffer from this: - sins of the father(son): Benjamin Button style. - and are associated with what they became rather than what they were as the fresh-faced revelations of their own time.

It’s funny that something can start out as everything that’s right with an industry (innovation, boundary pushing, etc.) and end up being everything that’s wrong with it a few years down the line, when they’ve got a formula to rinse a-now established fanbase and do the bare minimum to justify their yearly release.
It's called EA Games

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Assassins Creed was incredible when that first came out. Absolutely blew my mind the first time I played it. Assassins Creed II was also great but the modern ones don't really do it for me massively other than just time killer.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Re: PES. I agree it deserves its place and personally I don't see much difference between what the series did back then and say, classic fighting games - which nobody has argued against.

I've always felt there were huge similarities between the styles because those old games struck a perfect balance between attack and defence, much like fighting games structure themselves on balance between fighters. Apart from Adriano you'd be hard pressed to find anything that was truly overpowered. Most games were fraught with possibilities and wins felt hard fought.

It's why modern soccer games contrast so much IMO as there's too many variables now and usually something ends up overpowered, which people online gleefully take advantage of.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Re: PES. I agree it deserves its place and personally I don't see much difference between what the series did back then and say, classic fighting games - which nobody has argued against.

I've always felt there were huge similarities between the styles because those old games struck a perfect balance between attack and defence, much like fighting games structure themselves on balance between fighters. Apart from Adriano you'd be hard pressed to find anything that was truly overpowered. Most games were fraught with possibilities and wins felt hard fought.

It's why modern soccer games contrast so much IMO as there's too many variables now and usually something ends up overpowered, which people online gleefully take advantage of.
So many memories of this absolute cnut in PES :lol:

altodevil

When you scored a goal in pes it was earned.

Baneofthegame

Quick question as I forgot about the previous 3 rounds :(

Can you add the games to your list even if you played them later on? For instance I got the Bioshock collection for PS4 etc.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
2. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)
4. Gears of War (360)
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

altodevil

4. Gears of War (360)
fecking hell - this is actually a good list.

Baneofthegame

1. GTA IV
2. Dark Souls
3. Borderlands 2
4. Bioshock
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

I’ll probably update this, but so many games miss out.

AaronRedDevil

4. Gears of War (360)
MGS4! Favourite game of all time. My guy :D

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Question:

How do people feel about combining rounds 6&7?

I'm worried that round 7 won't get many participants as the consoles (especially PS5 and XBOX) are so new that they don't have many games and/or people don't have them...

I'll judge by the sentiment to this proposal...

DavelinaJolie

Question:

How do people feel about combining rounds 6&7?

I'm worried that round 7 won't get many participants as the consoles (especially PS5 and XBOX) are so new that they don't have many games and/or people don't have them...

I'll judge by the sentiment to this proposal...
Makes sense tbh. It's at least 2 years too early, especially with cross gen