Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Question:

How do people feel about combining rounds 6&7?

I'm worried that round 7 won't get many participants as the consoles (especially PS5 and XBOX) are so new that they don't have many games and/or people don't have them...

I'll judge by the sentiment to this proposal...
Personally I wouldn’t mind voting on a PS5 exclusive round. There’s afew games I’d put there I wouldn’t put in PS4 era but happy to go with the majority.

Irwin99

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
2. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)
4. Gears of War (360)
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
That game was such a crushing disappointment to me :(

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The last of us
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Borderlands 2
Skyrim
Batman Arkham Asylum

Irwin99

Really? I remember absolutely loving it at the time. Admittedly I haven’t played it again since probably 2011.
Yeah, up there with FF12 for me but not quite as bad in terms of disappointment and i know i'm in the minority where both those games are concerned. It's still a decent game and I like the first two levels but the cutscenes and plot are really jarring imo. It's also the hardest game to replay if you don't like the plot because you have to wade through absolutely mental amounts of cutscenes just to play the game. Some of those story reveals/developments were just :houllier:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Question:

I'm worried that round 7 won't get many participants as the consoles (especially PS5 and XBOX) are so new that they don't have many games and/or people don't have them...

Assuming this doesn't interest you all?

Revan

Assumptionman
Question:

Skip round 7 entirely, I would say. Or merge.

hobbers

Can't you just do 6 and 7 at the same time? If people have current gen list they can add it on below their ps4/xbox one list

Ainu

Yeah, up there with FF12 for me but not quite as bad in terms of disappointment and i know i'm in the minority where both those games are concerned. It's still a decent game and I like the first two levels but the cutscenes and plot are really jarring imo. It's also the hardest game to replay if you don't like the plot because you have to wade through absolutely mental amounts of cutscenes just to play the game. Some of those story reveals/developments were just :houllier:
Not sure you're in the minority regarding MGS 4. I really wanted it to be great when it came out and probably convinced myself I loved it, but as the years went by I started seeing it for what it was. It's an absolutely ridiculous game with atrocious storytelling that goes out of it's way to destroy some great characters from MGS1. That Naomi - Otacon romance. Why? Just why? Awful, but somehow not nearly the worst romance in the game, since Meryl actually married a complete joke relief character in one of the most bizarre plot developments ever. This is where Kojima well and truly lost the plot and his writing has been dogshit ever since.

Ok, rant over. :lol: I loved FF12 though.

Irwin99

Not sure you're in the minority regarding MGS 4. I really wanted it to be great when it came out and probably convinced myself I loved it, but as the years went by I started seeing it for what it was. It's an absolutely ridiculous game with atrocious storytelling that goes out of it's way to destroy some great characters from MGS1. That Naomi - Otacon romance. Why? Just why? Awful, but somehow not nearly the worst romance in the game, since Meryl actually married a complete joke relief character in one of the most bizarre plot developments ever. This is where Kojima well and truly lost the plot and his writing has been dogshit ever since.

Ok, rant over. :lol: I loved FF12 though.
That was so awful. They got engaged in the middle of a firefight and being shot several times :lol: I seriously do wonder if Kojima was winging it at this point and just tying everything up for the sake of it with a couldn't give a feck attitude. We need Meryl to have a happy ending-fine, give her to Johnny; we need an answer to The Patriots- just make them be the MGS 3 team; every other mystery in the series left unanswered- just say nano-machines.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They’re basically the same gen anyway, with the lack of exclusives. And I seem to recall the Wii U not selling as well as it’s predecessor or the Switch.

Brocky

I just realised that I (and everyone else, it seems) forgot about Max Payne 1 & 2 in the last vote. :(

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  4. Skyrim
  5. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Abraxas

Surprised by the Batman votes to be honest. Button mashing rubbish!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Red dead must be competing well. Seen it on most lists. Still think that and Skyrim are clear standouts.

Brocky

Not really sure I would call it 'button-mashing'. Button mashing is a style of play implemented by the user and not a game mechanic implemented by the developer. Can it be an effective style of play? In some games, sure. In the Batman games, it was nowhere near as effective as learning the moves and practicing. At the time, the Batman: AA combat was regarded as some of the best in any game of that type and the Platinum trophy required having to get a 100-hit combo or more utilising every available move, of which there were around 10 iirc, and there was no way in hell that was doable by just button-mashing.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Of all the descriptions you could use for Arkham Asylum, this wouldn’t be my choice dude. That was a really, really great game and a massive improvement on any superhero game that has been done before. Pure quality.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The lack of votes for Halo 3 is kind of laughable.

Ainu

I played Halo 3 on the Xbox 360, didn't seem anything special to me. I guess I've just never understood Halo's success.

Moby

Dick
Not really sure I would call it 'button-mashing'. Button mashing is a style of play implemented by the user and not a game mechanic implemented by the developer. Can it be an effective style of play? In some games, sure. In the Batman games, it was nowhere near as effective as learning the moves and practicing. At the time, the Batman: AA combat was regarded as some of the best in any game of that type and the Platinum trophy required having to get a 100-hit combo or more utilising every available move, of which there were around 10 iirc, and there was no way in hell that was doable by just button-mashing.
Yeah it's far more than any button masher. The combat was incredible and it has carried into the spiderman games now which are great as well. Definitely regard that as one of the best combat systems I've played, perfectly captures how a superhero beating up goons should look and feel like.

And anyway Arkham series had far more elements to it than melee combat. I only play Arkham Knight recently but played the other two when they came out, absolutely brilliant games all round.

Ainu

Yeah it's far more than any button masher. The combat was incredible and it has carried into the spiderman games now which are great as well. Definitely regard that as one of the best combat systems I've played, perfectly captures how a superhero beating up goons should look and feel like.

And anyway Arkham series had far more elements to it than melee combat. I only play Arkham Knight recently but played the other two when they came out, absolutely brilliant games all round.
There are three other games actually. I hope you're forgetting about the lacklustre Origins and not the excellent Asylum. :)

CloneMC16

I remember that trophy. I was going for plat and got stuck on that for a long time. I quit the game and thought I'd never do it. Came back about a year later and finally got the trophy. You're never button mashing your way through that. I don't think you did throughout the rest of the game, either. I think most players would learn and use a specific selection of moves during their playthroughs.

The combat in Arkham Knight is pretty damn good. I didn't play the other two.

Moby

Dick
There are three other games actually. I hope you're forgetting about the lacklustre Origins and not the excellent Asylum. :)
I intentionally ignored Origins. I played it but yeah, that wasn't very good. And of course Asylum. I mean Asylum and City were the ones I played when they came out and loved both of them. And Arkham Knight was very good as well minus all the tank spamming. :D

Abraxas

Sure, but the developers lead the user to the style of play that is actually going to be useful. In Batman you could just spam. Also heavily choreographed and QTE driven. Personally I couldn't get past that. Sure I want to feel powerful as Batman but I want to feel powerful myself, not through hand holding.

They got worse and worse admittedly, Asylum was probably the best of the bunch.

Ainu

Sure, but the developers lead the user to the style of play that is actually going to be useful. In Batman you could just spam. Also heavily choreographed and QTE driven. Personally I couldn't get past that. Sure I want to feel powerful as Batman but I want to feel powerful myself, not through hand holding.

They got worse and worse admittedly, Asylum was probably the best of the bunch.
QTE is literally the opposite of spam. If there's an issue with the combat in Akrham games, it's that it's overly reliant on visual counter cues.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  2. Modern Warfare 2
  3. Halo 3
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Assassins Creed 2
Ugh this one is hard. Previous gens I was basically below 10/12 years old so I only played zelda/mario/fifa pretty much. Now everything opens up. I'm gonna count Assassins Creed Black Flag as a PS4 game as it was released pretty much at the same time for both, but I played on the PS4. Would be in otherwise. GTA 5 is probably going to win, but just not as memorable for me. These are probably my top 5 nostalgic Xbox 360 games.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
  1. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  2. Modern Warfare 2
  3. Halo 3
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Assassins Creed 2
Ugh this one is hard. Previous gens I was basically below 10/12 years old so I only played zelda/mario/fifa pretty much. Now everything opens up. I'm gonna count Assassins Creed Black Flag as a PS4 game as it was released pretty much at the same time for both, but I played on the PS4. Would be in otherwise. GTA 5 is probably going to win, but just not as memorable for me. These are probably my top 5 nostalgic Xbox 360 games.
It's very tight at the top.

RedDevilRoshi

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Grand Theft Auto 5
  3. The Last Of Us
  4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  5. L.A. Noire

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Might play Oblivion again as I never finished it for some reason. Got the disc somewhere if I can find it.