Reds unveil new medical facility

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
• State of the art medical imaging suite now operational at Aon Training Complex

Manchester United and Toshiba Medical Systems have today officially unveiled a brand new medical facility at the Aon Training Complex, harnessing the cutting edge medical equipment of the club’s official medical systems partner.

The pioneering agreement, part of the partnership that was announced in October 2012, has seen Toshiba install scanning equipment to help with early diagnosis of injury, improve player welfare and also facilitate research into early markers of potentially preventable injuries and ways of maintaining player career longevity at elite level.

The new facility will aid analysis of patterns and trends in rehabilitation, with innovative cardiac and musculoskeletal profiling helping to gain a wider understanding of both normal and abnormal responses to athletic training with possible applications to everyday health problems and injuries outside of professional sports.

Speaking about the facility, Dr Steve McNally, Manchester United club doctor, said: “Our partnership with Toshiba Medical Systems that provides Manchester United with state of the art Ultrasound, MRI and CT scanning facilities at our training complex will be a world first, offering a unique opportunity to explore the capabilities of medical imaging within an elite sporting environment. Not only am I excited about the possibilities for enhancing player

Courtesy: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...x?newsid=C6D0D2D7-97BB-4A9A-B357-86E649ECF903

Kostur

海尔的老板
Since I'm completly clueless in this branch, does it mean that our players might be less injured ? Or does it mean that this thingie will help after they get injured?

( I know I'm simplyfing this )

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Medicals will be done at Carrington now instead of Bridgewater Hospital, correct?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Thought Moyes had already spent all the technology budget on 300 iPads?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Speaking about the facility, Dr Steve McNally, Manchester United club doctor, said: “Our partnership with Toshiba Medical Systems that provides Manchester United with state of the art Ultrasound, MRI and CT scanning facilities at our training complex will be a world first, offering a unique opportunity to explore the capabilities of medical imaging within an elite sporting environment. Not only am I excited about the possibilities for enhancing player
But Ando has left now..

Member 39557

I was thinking an "Owen Wing" might be a better idea. So Mickey Owen's contribution to medical science is also recognised.
My gf follows him on twitter. Apparently he's training for a marathon! I've done a bit of distance running myself and it can make the hamstrings quite tight, the guy is playing with fire!

On a serious note, despite all the PR blurb, will this facility achieve anything other than saving a trip to the hospital for a scan?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My gf follows him on twitter. Apparently he's training for a marathon! I've done a bit of distance running myself and it can make the hamstrings quite tight, the guy is playing with fire!

On a serious note, despite all the PR blurb, will this facility achieve anything other than saving a trip to the hospital for a scan?
I imagine it'll allow much more frequent monitoring of players, as in they'll probably have regular scheduled scans and such and keep track of how their bodies react to training/matches etc, with prevention the goal rather than cure.

Member 39557

I imagine it'll allow much more frequent monitoring of players, as in they'll probably have regular scheduled scans and such and keep track of how their bodies react to training/matches etc, with prevention the goal rather than cure.
In 5 months time, they'll all have individual training plans tailored to limit injury and they'll still all get injured :lol:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
We have the technology to find more injuries in our players so we can then not pick them to play.

SirAF

Ageist
Great news that this medical centre is up and running now! Send Sir Alex a thought here - this was his vision for the club - constantly seeking new technology and advancing us.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
This should be in a megathrea....oh right, sorry, ignore me ;)

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Since I'm completly clueless in this branch, does it mean that our players might be less injured ? Or does it mean that this thingie will help after they get injured?

Both, I'd expect. The medical staff will be able to see issues before a player gets injured in some cases and when a player does get injured they'll get back quicker. Basically, the medical staff will have a better knowledge of the players' bodies.

Plugsy

Just have visions of all the state of the art medical equipment Ferguson had planned all being scrapped by Moyes and replaced by a couple of crash mats and a medicine ball.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Carlos Quieroz revolutionized the medical side for Manchester United (SAF "Didn't have a clue", when SAF spoke about Carlos in about 2007) it's why he was so valuable to SAF, I think we owe a great deal to Carlos really.

Moyes has overhauled the scouting system, and implemented a sports psychology into the team now, I think we are actually moving into the 21st century! good stuff

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Carlos Quieroz revolutionized the medical side for Manchester United (SAF "Didn't have a clue", when SAF spoke about Carlos in about 2007) it's why he was so valuable to SAF, I think we owe a great deal to Carlos really.

Moyes has overhauled the scouting system, and implemented a sports psychology into the team now, I think we are actually moving into the 21st century! good stuff
Sports psychology eh... The results were clear to see last Tuesday and RVPs mindset last Saturday.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Both, I'd expect. The medical staff will be able to see issues before a player gets injured in some cases and when a player does get injured they'll get back quicker. Basically, the medical staff will have a better knowledge of the players' bodies.
Ah, cheers, sound good to me ! Just anything that we don't get by those injury-waves in the future really.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't Ferguson mention something about being able to both do medicals and asses potential injuries without a media frenzy?

Rednotdead

Didn't Ferguson mention something about being able to both do medicals and asses potential injuries without a media frenzy?
Yes, I seem to recall reading it should be much easier to monitor players and pick up potential injury problems before they occur. Possibly the likes of strains and stress fractures etc.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This can only be a good thing. Being able to detect injuries before they are likely to occur, is only going to help keep the squad fitter.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
This can only be a good thing. Being able to detect injuries before they are likely to occur, is only going to help keep the squad fitter.
Yes no doubt, there's ways to detect injuries before they do happen so it potentially means longer careers for the playing staff too.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Stupid question-Do players in England have medical services paid for by the NHS? I assume no way NHS will reimburse United for services provided at this new facility-but what about scans at hospitals?

From a clueless Yank.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
As Utd fan can i pop in for a MRI scan on my shoulder as i think i have torn a muscle?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Stupid question-Do players in England have medical services paid for by the NHS? I assume no way NHS will reimburse United for services provided at this new facility-but what about scans at hospitals?

From a clueless Yank.
As British citizens they could get free scans, paid for by the NHS. They'd be put on a waiting list though and might not get their scan for a number of weeks/months.

Obviously, for professional athletes that's not an option so the club will pay for a private centre to do the scan straight away.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
As British citizens they could get free scans, paid for by the NHS. They'd be put on a waiting list though and might not get their scan for a number of weeks/months.

Obviously, for professional athletes that's not an option so the club will pay for a private centre to do the scan straight away.
Thanks PM-figured these guys received treatment from another source other than the NHS-didn't know the particulars.

This should be a good investment. We have more than our fair share of players on the treatment table every season. If we can make improvements to our diagnosis and recovery time, it will make a difference on the pitch.

On the downside, the 'spot the new signing' game with medicals is over now. We'll be keeping that under wraps from now on.

Moriarty

From a clueless Yank.
The way the NHS is going, I'd be surprised if anyone will be getting any treatment in the near future.

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
CT scans will likely only be used on injured players as the dose of radiation is actually pretty high, I'd be pretty interested what the rules are in relation to IRMER (Radiation Regulations) for private facilities, as each scan would have to be justified by a doctor.
MRI and ultrasound obviously don't use radiation so there's not really an issue there, I assume the facility will have plain film x-ray also, as this would be ideal for checking up on knocks and small fractures to the metacarpals and carpal bones etc.., but it doesn't actually say.
Either way it's really exciting for the club, shows how seriously we're taking the fact that we seem to have more injuries than other clubs!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good to see us put in place something like this. Though it will make spotting potential signings far harder now as they can just do the medical there now.

Hal9000

I read an article a whilst back, with the technology kitted out in this place, they can predict some injuries 6 months in advance and take preventive measures.

Guess you can scan players bodies and check any weaknesses or degradation in muscles etc and put them on fitness regimes to strengthen said problem area before they cause further harm down the line.

AON Training Complex? Have we sold the naming rights? *serious questions*
Yes