Refereeing in Spain/Italy/Germany etc

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Personally, i think the refereeing in Spain and Italy is absolutely dreadful. At times, the refs are far to eager to blow the whistle and have basically made diving acceptable as a result of this.

Reddish

Worse? Jesus, it never occurred to me that there could be worse ref'ing anywhere in the world.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
i watch spanish, italian amd english leagues and imo, the worse refereing is in england

the things that referees miss and the things they see and they don't call is unfeckingbelievable,

in fact, IMO most of the blame for eduardos injury is on the referees that don't punish the chalenges they way they should

VP

Spain's awful, almost a non contact sport over there. Everytime a player is against another player facing away from the goal. He just needs to fall and he'll win a free kick.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
i watch spanish, italian amd english leagues and imo, the worse refereing is in england

the things that referees miss and the things they see and they don't call is unfeckingbelievable,

in fact, IMO most of the blame for eduardos injury is on the referees that don't punish the chalenges they way they should
Refereeing in Italy is definitely worse than in England.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Refereeing in Italy is definitely worse than in England.
maybe i'm biased here because i don't give two turds about ref mistakes while watching spanish or italian games,
but when i see english game -wether we play or one of the teams i hate do- i get fecking mad when the refs make a bad decision

feckING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reddish

If you were familiar with the rules, you'd know that the fourth official doesn't decide how many mintues of injury time will be played. It's the refs decision.
It is yeh, it's been a long weekend.

B Cantona

Desperate
Hmm, your Argieness is unbecoming Marcos :smirk:

Despite the faster pace of our game which for me makes decision making even more difficult, I think our referees are much better than Spain, which I watch a lot, and Italy, while I watch less so. I can't speak for the Germans, but if they can't officiate 'efficiently', who can!

Luis Medina Cantalejo is the 'best' referee in Spain, he's their representative for international tournaments. We had him in the week at Lyon. I wince everytime I realise he's officating a game of ours. England were buggered against Russia as soon as his appointment was announced, and sure enough he awarded the Russians a penalty for a foul by Rooney several yards outside the area. In midweek remember he wasn't going to penalise Hargreaves for a foul beyond giving a free kick, then Boumsong made too much of a protest, and took a booking. Influenced, the ref went back and did decide to book Hargreaves. Pathetic

DiaboliQue

Despite the faster pace of our game which for me makes decision making even more difficult, I think our referees are much better than Spain, which I watch a lot, and Italy, while I watch less so. I can't speak for the Germans, but if they can't officiate 'efficiently', who can!

Luis Medina Cantalejo is the 'best' referee in Spain, he's their representative for international tournaments. We had him in the week at Lyon. I wince everytime I realise he's officating a game of ours. England were buggered against Russia as soon as his appointment was announced, and sure enough he awarded the Russians a penalty for a foul by Rooney several yards outside the area. In midweek remember he wasn't going to penalise Hargreaves for a foul beyond giving a free kick, then Boumsong made too much of a protest, and took a booking. Influenced, the ref went back and did decide to book Hargreaves. Pathetic
I've been watching quite a bit of Bundesliga this season and I can assure you they're far far superior to the english refs. There's a big difference between them and the rest of the refs from the big leagues (italian and spanish ones are absolutely pathetic) and while you might complain at the quality of the players, it's not often you can have any sort of complains regarding refs.

B Cantona

Desperate
I've been watching quite a bit of Bundesliga this season and I can assure you they're far far superior to the english refs. There's a big difference between them and the rest of the refs from the big leagues (italian and spanish ones are absolutely pathetic) and while you might complain at the quality of the players, it's not often you can have any sort of complains regarding refs.
What is it that makes them stand out Diab? I would have the impression that they don't take any crap from players for a start? Do they simply get more decisions correct than the other leagues?

marcus agrippa

i agree completely. refereeing in Italy, and especially Spain tends to be quite a bit difficult as well, since players are actively trying to con you.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

do you remember who was the english referee in the last world cup? and how many yellow cards he thinks a player must get before being red carded?

medina cantalejo is an idiot, is the same referee that called a non existant penalty for italy against australia

but still i think that referees in england are worse than the spaniards and italians, and not only for what i said before, i also think they have a different book of rules

did you ever wonder why so many times english players are sent away during world cups? i think that the main culprit is the way the referees work in england, when beckham got red carded against argentina in 1998, he did what he would have done in the premier league without consecuences, the same happened to rooney last world cup

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
To be fair TOP Spanish referees are better than TOP English referees. For example Luis Medina Cantalejo did a great job in Lyon this week. There is no good referee in England. They just pretend there are a few like Webb. I hardly watch Serie A and BUndesliga.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
To be fair TOP Spanish referees are better than TOP English referees. For example Luis Medina Cantalejo did a great job in Lyon this week. There is no good referee in England. They just pretend there are a few like Webb. I hardly watch Serie A and BUndesliga.
Did you see Cantalejo last week when he was ref-ing Valencia? One of the worst performances from a ref I've seen in a long time.

B Cantona

Desperate
do you remember who was the english referee in the last world cup? and how many yellow cards he thinks a player must get before being red carded?

medina cantalejo is an idiot, is the same referee that called a non existant penalty for italy against australia
Fair point. I've seen Poll have many good games as a ref though. I haven't seen that happen very often with Cantalejo

It wasn't a tough game to referee, and I already pointed out a moment of extreme weak officiating of him during that game. I think we have good refs in England, we're just far too quick and willing to blame them for anything and everything. Halsey had a fine game in todays cup final. Foy, Webb, Styles, Dowd I think are all fine officials. Clattenburg had a shocker in the Mersey derby, but I usually am happy to see him officiating

Giggsy PO

Did you see Cantalejo last week when he was ref-ing Valencia? One of the worst performances from a ref I've seen in a long time.
No I didn´t. At least from my observation you can see from time to time a good performance by Spanish referee.

I don´t recall a good game from English referee for ages. They are biased, or incompetent or both. Or just total twats like Bennett or Clattenburg.

Giggsy PO

It wasn't a tough game to referee, and I already pointed out a moment of extreme weak officiating of him during that game. I think we have good refs in England, we're just far too quick and willing to blame them for anything and everything. Halsey had a fine game in todays cup final. Foy, Webb, Styles, Dowd I think are all fine officials. Clattenburg had a shocker in the Mersey derby, but I usually am happy to see him officiating
Well maybe I am a little bit biased here with English referees but how would you call this last seconds of extra time today? Till then he maybe had a good game but he fecked that up in the last seconds and made a total clown of himself.

Count Duckula

Well maybe I am a little bit biased here with English referees but how would you call this last seconds of extra time today? Till then he maybe had a good game but he fecked that up in the last seconds and made a total clown of himself.
How did he feck up in the last seconds?

If time is up, time is up. This isn't ruby; we don't need to wait for a stoppage before the match ends.

Justin

Cantalejo and Manuel González are supposedly the best Spanish refs, but I find them completely incompetent and very biased.

Denis' cuff

but still i think that referees in england are worse than the spaniards and italians, and not only for what i said before, i also think they have a different book of rules

did you ever wonder why so many times english players are sent away during world cups? i think that the main culprit is the way the referees work in england, conwhen beckham got red carded against argentina in 1998, he did what he would have done in the premier league without secuences, the same happened to rooney last world cup
stupid comparison - the decision to send Beckham off was feckin corrupt as was the disallowed goal that England scored to equalise. How can you kick a player when you're lying on your stomach by making a limp and half-hearted waft of your leg in the vague direction of the other player - who, it somehow gets overlooked, clattered into the back of Beckham at a time when they were supposedly clamping down on tackles from behind.

I'm not defending him because it's Beckham - I've long since lost respect for him - but some referees give decisions that can only be put down to corruption, like Clattenberg's performance in the Merseyside derby earlier this year. I appreciate they're only human but when they consistently give such contentious decisions in favour or against one side.........

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Anybody watch Real-Getafe last night? While Real were busy celebrating Robben's goal (correctly judged as offside) Getafe took the freekick, zoomed up the other end and scored. Who says Spanish refs don't like to keep things moving.
:D

demapples

No I didn´t. At least from my observation you can see from time to time a good performance by Spanish referee.

I don´t recall a good game from English referee for ages. They are biased, or incompetent or both. Or just total twats like Bennett or Clattenburg.
How does this manifest itself?

Do you think the refs go out there with an agenda against a particular team?

Do you think they ignore fouls or call fouls when there isn't one? Disallow fair goals? Give dodgy penalties?

How are they biased?

Denis' cuff

How does this manifest itself?

Do you think the refs go out there with an agenda against a particular team?

Do you think they ignore fouls or call fouls when there isn't one? Disallow fair goals? Give dodgy penalties?

How are they biased?
yes

yes

they consistantly award free kicks/penalties etc to one side and not to the other side when merited.

Clearer?

I take it you didn't see United at Bolton this season or Liverpool at Goodison.

demapples

yes

yes

they consistantly award free kicks/penalties etc to one side and not to the other side when merited.

Clearer?

I take it you didn't see United at Bolton this season or Liverpool at Goodison.
Did it occur to you that refs have off days too?

Or are you actually saying refs favour Liverpool and are against Utd?

Denis' cuff

Did it occur to you that refs have off days too?

Or are you actually saying refs favour Liverpool and are against Utd?
it's a good idea to read the post before replying

a) I suggested a referee showed a certain bias towards Bolton when they played United

b) and if you are unaware of Clattenberg's performance in the game between EVERTON AND LIVERPOOL earlier in the season you were obviously not paying attention (clear now?)

to further clarify: I think some refs definitely lean towards some teams, sometimes. I understand that like the rest of us, they have off days. What worries me, is when they consistently indulge in one team and clearly not another during the course of a football match.

Note: no suggestion of a general conspiracy between refs, in favour of Liverpool over United. Having said that, the two examples I offered are by no means isolated and I think it's a worrying trend.

Comprendez?

demapples

it's a good idea to read the post before replying

a) I suggested a referee showed a certain bias towards Bolton when they played United

b) and if you are unaware of Clattenberg's performance in the game between EVERTON AND LIVERPOOL earlier in the season you were obviously not paying attention (clear now?)

to further clarify: I think some refs definitely lean towards some teams, sometimes. I understand that like the rest of us, they have off days. What worries me, is when they consistently indulge in one team and clearly not another during the course of a football match.

Note: no suggestion of a general conspiracy between refs, in favour of Liverpool over United. Having said that, the two examples I offered are by no means isolated and I think it's a worrying trend.

Comprendez?
What's a worrying trend?

But I don't agree with you in general.

Referees are under far too much scrutiny from fans, media, managers and refereeing adjudicators to show bias towards any particular team or basic ineptitude for an enlongated period.

Decisions will generally even out over a season and to think otherwise is extreme paranoia.

Ref's makes mistakes as do fans, players and managers. But I guess it's easier for said fans, players and managersto cry foul and also offers a convenient excuse for when they lose. While also conveniently forgetting the many decsions that go their way.

Denis' cuff

What's a worrying trend?
But I don't agree with you in general.

Referees are under far too much scrutiny from fans, media, managers and refereeing adjudicators to show bias towards any particular team or basic ineptitude for an enlongated period.

Decisions will generally even out over a season and to think otherwise is extreme paranoia.

Ref's makes mistakes as do fans, players and managers. But I guess it's easier for said fans, players and managersto cry foul and also offers a convenient excuse for when they lose. While also conveniently forgetting the many decsions that go their way.
I thought that was obvious

It's not compulsory

but they do

not that one again:rolleyes:

I can live with mistakes to an acceptable degree. I'll say this again for you: what worries me is whn the same refs appear to consistently give favourable decisions to certain teams during certain games and overlook glaringly obvious decisions to other teams. To clarify a little further for you: I am not talking specifically about United or any other club although I did give two previous examples.

feck me, are you a social worker or what?

demapples

I thought that was obvious

It's not compulsory

but they do

not that one again:rolleyes:

I can live with mistakes to an acceptable degree. I'll say this again for you: what worries me is whn the same refs appear to consistently give favourable decisions to certain teams during certain games and overlook glaringly obvious decisions to other teams. To clarify a little further for you: I am not talking specifically about United or any other club although I did give two previous examples.

feck me, are you a social worker or what?
A social worker? Not sure how you got there. Do you need one? Try google.

Anyways, what is in it for the ref to "consistently give favourable decisions to certain teams during certain games and overlook glaringly obvious decisions to other teams"?

Do you think they are on the take from certain teams? Bookmakers involved? Do you think they are favouring a team they supported as a youngster? Do they do it out of boredom? Are they betting themselves?

Denis' cuff

you wouldn't be. You seem the type:boring:

you need to ask?

you need to ask?

you are a very boring person:boring:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
stupid comparison - the decision to send Beckham off was feckin corrupt as was the disallowed goal that England scored to equalise. How can you kick a player when you're lying on your stomach by making a limp and half-hearted waft of your leg in the vague direction of the other player - who, it somehow gets overlooked, clattered into the back of Beckham at a time when they were supposedly clamping down on tackles from behind.

I'm not defending him because it's Beckham - I've long since lost respect for him - but some referees give decisions that can only be put down to corruption, like Clattenberg's performance in the Merseyside derby earlier this year. I appreciate they're only human but when they consistently give such contentious decisions in favour or against one side.........
i'm sorry if you find stupid what i say

btw, there's no comparison there

and the decision was wrong, the ref should have expelled both players, but he only red carded beckham because he saw him, how wouldn't he? beckham did it in front of him

demapples

you wouldn't be. You seem the type:boring:

you need to ask?

you need to ask?

you are a very boring person:boring:
So 'biased referees' is an argument which falls down at the first sign of logic being applied to it.