Referees need to give TV interviews

Barnslig

Most of us respect that people do make mistakes. We all do them. If a ref continues to do mistakes and apologise again and again, maybe the FA would have to make changes.

It seems like the refs in England are protected in all ways possible. That’s not a good thing either.
Agreed, I am not arguing we should sack referees for making a mistake, but a big part of learning from your mistakes, is to reflect on them right? And it seems the FA and the refs would much rather sweep all ref performances under the rug, the good with the bad, and that screams shady in 2021.

RedStarUnited

I don't get this, I'd love to see refs come out, but they shouldn't have to. When I make a mistake at work I don't have to go on TV to explain it. Frankly, they're not paid enough to have that much spotlight on them. Some of these guys earn £48k a year and you think that's enough to go on TV and be grilled?
What job do you do and what are the ramifications of you making mistakes at your job? A badly officiated game can cost a team a spot in the premier league for example, thats worth 100 million or more to a club.

Someone

Something
Don't think it'd be useful, most of the time it'd end up being a humiliation exercise. They should be held accountable more, specially now with VAR. So much incompetence is being tolerated.

Castia

Not a fan of this tbh.

It would be a witch hunt after every game.

James Peril

The rage in this thread is funny to say the least, for a little shirt tug in a cup game. Do you really think a referee would admit anything on screen? Are you that naive? Moss would say he had his focus elsewhere in the heat of the moment, bla bla. Interviewing the refs would accomplish absolutely nothing.

90 + 5min

What does this achieve?
To understand their decisions. Simple. That can clear the fog that is all over pretty much 50% of decisions. That is a lot. Just as exemple. Why didn’t Lingard get penalty? Simple question to ref. The FA can find a way to go with football during pandemic but can’t put on the paper something so easy that refs should clarify their in game decisions.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If a ref held his hands up and admitted he got it wrong, most decent folk would reluctantly accept it as human error and I think refs would actually get a bit more respect.

But they never will. You e got Dermot Gallagher just full on lying to try and protect Moss over the City penalty incident at the weekend. If they'll just blatantly lie to protect themselves, then it'll just make things infinitely worse.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They should be flogged on a big stage on pay per view tv.

Imagine making a mistake while the 22 actors on the field spend 90 minutes trying to fool you :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They should not give interviews. They should, however, publish a post game report where they explain and motivate their decisions

slyadams

What job do you do and what are the ramifications of you making mistakes at your job? A badly officiated game can cost a team a spot in the premier league for example, thats worth 100 million or more to a club.
Making a referee come onto TV to lambast them for making a mistake is nothing more than being vindictive. You have to judge based on actions not consequences. Whether a penalty is for a Sunday league game or the PL title it’s still a human making a decision. Just because the prize is a lot more doesn’t suddenly make the human a superhuman decision maker.

Oranges038

Mic them up.

Then we'll know what they are saying. It's fairly simple.

It works both ways, referees explain themselves to the players and the players will not be able get away with abusive tirades at the referee.

432JuanMata

Not a hope. I’m not defending referees and some of the standard is shocking but they get abuse for 90mins then online and no matter what they do one side will still be upset over something. It’s a incredibly hard job

slyadams

Wasn’t there a study that showed referees get something like 98% of decisions right? The problem people have is that they expect 100% of the big decisions to be right, even though those at the ones where they’re usually being actively deceived by at least one player.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What does this achieve?
Explains how he came to the decision he did. Otherwise they can literally just make shit up without any justification. If they keep saying week after week "I didn't see it" then they're clearly not fit for the job.

It would be better to just mic them up and listen to them explain the the players tbh, and then we'd find the biggest dickhead players too.

PieCrust

They just need to bring in competent refs from all over the world. The best league in the world should be finding and employing the best refs in the world.

And mic'em up!

Anustart89

Wasn’t there a study that showed referees get something like 98% of decisions right? The problem people have is that they expect 100% of the big decisions to be right, even though those at the ones where they’re usually being actively deceived by at least one player.
Doesn't that include goal kicks and throw-ins and stuff like that though? I mean, it doesn't make you a great referee to get 99 throw-ins right in the middle of the pitch and then ignore a player pulling another player to the ground by his shorts while being nowhere near the ball.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I think if a ref doesn't give my team a penalty I should get to shoot him on live TV as accountability

Teja

They just need to bring in competent refs from all over the world. The best league in the world should be finding and employing the best refs in the world.

And mic'em up!
This

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No chance. Not in the Prem anyway. More like 60-40.

RedDevil@84

Independent study or report by referees association?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't know how people can compare players/coaches accountability to refs it the were to be forced to give interviews. A coach or a player can lie to the journalist, use bad faith or belittle the journalist to get out of an interview, a ref wouldn't have this option or this would be ridiculous. Can you imagine a ref Mourinhoing his way out of an interview? "I refereed 3 champion's league final, why are you talking to me?"
A ref cannot just rally fans behind him to have support for the next game, he doesn't have pundits who used to play with him in support, he'll be alone and wil get slaughtered.

Mic them up, it'll already be far enough.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They don't get paid enough to have them subjected to that level of scrutiny on TV. It's a difficult job, and some of them are bad at it but that's why VAR exists, right?

Plus I'm sure refs get evaluated by the FA and graded on recent performances. Jon Moss should be in League 2 by now.