Refs and VAR at the World Cup

TheReligion

Abusive
Who is praising him? On Danish tv the pundits are slating him and they are massive Messi fans.
If this had been England Vs Argentina you lot would be fuming. Especially him calling of the French advantage to award them a freekick was mental. Di Maria falling over his own legs = penalty. No red to Paredes. Not booking Emi Martinez for throwing the ball away.
He was the boss out there. Controlled the game and didn’t let the occasion get the better of him.

‘You lot’. Pfft. Take your anti English prejudice elsewhere thank you very much.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Felt he was a bit lenient with booking Argentinian players, but that aside I thought he was excellent. That dive was the ref moment of the tournament (they should introduce something like that) and his generally imposing figure and demeanor kept discussions and bitching to a minimum

Lyng

He was the boss out there. Controlled the game and didn’t let the occasion get the better of him.

‘You lot’. Pfft. Take your anti English prejudice elsewhere thank you very much.
Hahaha you are so fecking sensitive.

TheReligion

Abusive
Felt he was a bit lenient with booking Argentinian players, but that aside I thought he was excellent. That dive was the ref moment of the tournament (they should introduce something like that) and his generally imposing figure and demeanor kept discussions and bitching to a minimum
this is fair

You salty bastard

Vapor trail

Ref was outstanding. Think every big call he got correct. The refs (overall) had some leniency with aggression this has also been evident in the prem but this game has no contraversy surrounding it. That is a testament to the referees contribution.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Refereeing has been poor and inconsistent overall in the tournament.

Lyng

I’m neither salty nor an English fan. You just insulted me twice for no reason.
I guess I am just baffled by the praise in here when he was so one sided. At least if it was English fans happy France got some of their own after the quarterfinal I could at least understand it :b

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
First Argentina penalty was soft. The biggest mistake was Martinez should have been booked twice in the shootout and been sent off, only got 1 yellow.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He clattered right into him didn't he? Or did he stop him from advancing? Not sure which way to look at it.. Enlighten me
I just love that you have an agenda against Argentina and it means nothing because they’ve won the World Cup. Enjoy your tears. :drool:

chicha14

I just love that you have an agenda against Argentina and it means nothing because they’ve won the World Cup. Enjoy your tears. :drool:
Haha your assumptions are wild, I have no agenda against anyone. Yes they have won but have been given a massive helping hand.

Enjoy your tears? Are you 5 years old?

chicha14

First Argentina penalty was soft. The biggest mistake was Martinez should have been booked twice in the shootout and been sent off, only got 1 yellow.
You're not allowed to speak facts on this forum, you will shortly be accused of having an anti Argentina agenda!

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
So proud of Marciniak. He's been amazing over the years, deserved this final and was amazing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought the penalty for Argentina was debateable, but debateable isn't the same as a bad call. If he decided not to give it then that would have been debateable too, as the defender certainly clipped Di Maria. I probably wouldn't overturn it whichever way the ref decided.

Beyond that he got all the major decisions right, including a relatively soft penalty for France too, and kept a high tension game under control. Unlike the ref in the Netherlands/Argentina game say.

Last edited:

Sylar

I thought he was fantastic and consistent. One or two minor things like Messi maybe being booked , or things like that

Otherwise fantastic from the ref

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Haha your assumptions are wild, I have no agenda against anyone. Yes they have won but have been given a massive helping hand.

Enjoy your tears? Are you 5 years old?
It was just obvious that you’d come into the thread right on cue to moan about another penalty. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought the penalty for Argentina was debateable, but debateable isn't the same as a bad call. If he decided not to give it then that would have been debateable to, as the defender certainly clipped Di Maria. I probably wouldn't overturn it whichever way the ref decided.

Beyond that he got all the major decisions right, including a relatively soft penalty for France too, and kept a high tension game under control. Unlike the ref in the Netherlands/Argentina game say.
agree with this.

Revan

Assumptionman
All three pens were soft but more pens than not. Think he did a very good job.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
di Maria and the first French penalty were both debatable/soft, but it's good he gave both rather than selective nonsense. No terrible decisions. Can't ask for more.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought he was excellent which isn’t something I say very often or in fact ever about refs.

Can we hire him for the prem? Could teach a thing or two to some of the refs in this country.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For such a high pressure match with so many critical decisions thought the ref did brilliant.

antk

Not perfect but definitely a very good performance. Some of his flaws tonight matched with what we've seen all tournament - leniency on hard fouls (I think Rabiot's yellow is arguably a red, and Paredes on Camavinga looked very rough too, but haven't seen a proper replay) and reluctancy to allow for advantages or quick FKs (last potential counter at 90+ for France), so it must have been actual FIFA guidelines.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The lack of letting the play on when a couple of counters were one is what annoys me the most
That one on Coman was almost criminal. Coman was basically back up and running and he blew the whistle, stopped what could've been a great counter.