Refs and VAR at the World Cup

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
feck me, why give a quarter final to such an obvious shitc**t?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nothing came of it but that penalty is a textbook example of why we have VAR, I suppose. Ridiculous that it wasn't wasn't given intitially and if England went on to lose from that point ye'd rightly be livid.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Nothing came of it but that penalty is a textbook example of why we have VAR, I suppose. Ridiculous that it wasn't wasn't given intitially and if England went on to lose from that point ye'd rightly be livid.
Its many small calls too, France persistently fouled early and there were no yellow cards

But France obviously were always favourites

Camilo

Everyone's against you when you're both biased and not very good. The referees have been absolutely fine.

TheGame

Everyone's against you when you're both biased and not very good. The referees have been absolutely fine.
Eh? Wtf are you even on about? The ref the other day and the one in the England game were shite. There were numerous decisions which went France’s way and he missed a foul on Saka for their first goal.

Hulme91

I think 25-35 year old referees should be the norm, half of these pensioners can't keep up with the play and consequently make poor decisions

Camilo

Eh? Wtf are you even on about? The ref the other day and the one in the England game were shite. There were numerous decisions which went France’s way and he missed a foul on Saka for their first goal.
That's your bias on show. The referees have been top

El Zoido

The referee was atrocious today, and I’m not even blaming him for England’s defeat. But it was 100% a foul on Saka leading up to France’s first goal, and Kane should have had a penalty in the first half. God knows how the game would’ve turned out had England had the rub of those decisions. You never know, but would be nice to see them called correctly so there’s no doubt.

The Purley King

The referee tonight was a fecking disaster.
Missed several obvious fouls that went on to have material consequences.
Missed an obvious foul on saka before the French goal, missed a blatantly fecking obvious foul on Kane in the first half which may ior may not have been a penalty.
Couldn’t even recognise a blatant foul on mount and had to have var bail him out for the clearest penalty you will see all year.
He is a fecking charlatan………..not fit to referee a Sunday league game

Camilo

The referee tonight was a fecking disaster.
Missed several obvious fouls that went on to have material consequences.
Missed an obvious foul on saka before the French goal, missed a blatantly fecking obvious foul on Kane in the first half which may ior may not have been a penalty.
Couldn’t even recognise a blatant foul on mount and had to have var bail him out for the clearest penalty you will see all year.
He is a fecking charlatan………..not fit to referee a Sunday league game
As a neutral it's fascinating to see how far an Englishman will go to fool himself.. Looked like solid decisions all day long.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
German commentary were all over the ref right from the beginning with the 1-0, and they're not exactly fond of England

sirAlexsglasses

You must be a WUM, ok so let’s ignore every decision except for the penalty for the Mount foul, the ref was what….5m away from the incident and had a direct view. He called no foul when it was blatantly obvious, the only reason it was given was because VAR intervened, it was as stonewall as you can get, and no I’m not blaming ref decisions for the defeat, for me the majority of that was on Southgate for his in game management (even though we played very well).

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
As a neutral it's fascinating to see how far an Englishman will go to fool himself.. Looked like solid decisions all day long.
If the tables were turned people would still argue the same points.

England were hard done by piss poor refereeing today.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Refs have been shocking last 2 days.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Watching Frances first goal again, how that Upamecano foul wasn't given on Saka is a joke.

What's the point in VAR and having the linesman right there?

glasgow 21

Watching Frances first goal again, how that Upamecano foul wasn't given on Saka is a joke.

What's the point in VAR and having the linesman right there?
.Why isn't Var being scrutinised more by media outlets. Argentina v poland 2 clear penalties not given. Mexico goes out. Croatia penalty not given for a 3mm offside call v belgium. Cavani's penalty not given, to name a few. The problem is consistency and the true fact is they don't have to get the decision right. What exactly happens in wrong decisions ? Pat on the back and do better next time ? If var can get away with denying Cavani's penalty then it clearly can ignore or get decisions wrong without recourse. Sake's decision is the result of Var clearly deciding to ignore the foul, no ifs, no buts. I saw Casimero yesterday given a yellow card for brushing the side of a player's leg in context. Why did Messi not get a yellow carded for deliberate handball ?. The list is endless.

Foxbatt

I knew the ref would be blamed for England's loss. Most of the time it has been and it's nothing new. The var is there for that and the referee gave the two penalties. They couldn't hit a barn door and that's why they lost. And good riddance too.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
They missed out on some smaller decisions but the larger decisions were correct. You can't expect a missed foul to bail you out of a goal 45 secs later or whatever it was. The ref could have called more fouls, but the game was already choppy.

On a different note I dunno what Jude was complaining about the Hernandez yellow card instead of a straight red. That was the correct decision as well. How time has changed the game. That was never even a penalty when I played. Would never have imagined you can get kicked off the pitch for using your shoulder.

They missed out on some smaller decisions but the larger decisions were correct. You can't expect a missed foul to bail you out of a goal 45 secs later or whatever it was. The ref could have called more fouls, but the game was already choppy.

On a different note I dunno what Jude was complaining about the Hernandez yellow card instead of a straight red. That was the correct decision as well. How time has changed the game. That was never even a penalty when I played. Would never have imagined you can get kicked off the pitch for using your shoulder.
Maybe not in your pub league but in top flight football that's as easy a penalty as you'll ever see. No attempt to play the ball, he didnt even look at it. Stupid challenge to make and genuinely concerning the ref needed VAR to intervene, no chance he will get another game now.

Only the fact Mount didn't look like he would reach the ball saved the red card, but it could easily be given.

rpitchfo

My timeline is full on Twitter of people from all
Countries saying how shit the ref was yesterday.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Maybe not in your pub league but in top flight football that's as easy a penalty as you'll ever see. No attempt to play the ball, he didnt even look at it. Stupid challenge to make and genuinely concerning the ref needed VAR to intervene, no chance he will get another game now.

Only the fact Mount didn't look like he would reach the ball saved the red card, but it could easily be given.
This is what made it stonewall according to the ref expert in the German studio

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This is what made it stonewall according to the ref expert in the German studio
Shoulder charge into the back. Was a clear pen, not like Mount dived, you saw his head jar back from the force of the challenge. :lol:

Bobski

The refs have been terrible in the majority of the knock out games, but they have not been helped by an insane amount of gamesmanship and teams trying to play the VAR game, exaggerating innocuous contact hoping a slo-mo will dramatize it.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Shoulder charge into the back. Was a clear pen, not like Mount dived, you saw his head jar back from the force of the challenge. :lol:
There was zero doubt in my mind, but I suppose there could've been an angle to argue he was fighting for the ball and it was a coming together. Without even looking where the ball was, there's absolute no reasoning why this wasn't a penalty

Ananke

The problem was that the referee needed to be told what to do. Initially he wasn’t even giving that penalty (most blatant penalty of the game) and only because there was outrage and the ball went out did he go to VAR. Saka was fouled constantly throughout the game in dangerous areas and told to get up.

England should have won the game still, without decisions going their way. But there is no way anyone is convincing me that was a good refereeing performance. He was dogshit. I honestly don’t even think he would have yellow’d Hernandez if the entire English team wasn’t telling him how to do his job.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Ref yesterday was from Brazil so its not really top flight, its not like he's refereeing CL games regularly or a top 5 league. FIFA should be picking the very top refs for a WC

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I knew the ref would be blamed for England's loss. Most of the time it has been and it's nothing new. The var is there for that and the referee gave the two penalties. They couldn't hit a barn door and that's why they lost. And good riddance too.
It's weird right because you can complain about the ref being poor and not blame him for the loss. I can't figure out why nobody is doing that?!

TheReligion

Abusive
Just undermined you having any relevant and valid opinion

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The referee was generally bad yesterday but his worst decision (not giving an obvious penalty) was overturned. And the first goal was never going to be overturned for a foul that far back. So there was no major mistake that ultimately cost England, it was just aggravating to see him ignore repeated fouls on Saka in particular.

The referee in the Argentina/Netherlands game was worse again and having both on back to back days doesn't do much for the sense that the refereeing standard in the WC has been good enough.

Idxomer

Ref yesterday was from Brazil so its not really top flight, its not like he's refereeing CL games regularly or a top 5 league. FIFA should be picking the very top refs for a WC
Michael Oliver was also awful and missed a bunch of fouls for Brazil, he referees in the PL.

Lahoz was much worse and lost control of the game from the start, he referees in La Liga.