Refs and VAR at the World Cup

Real Name

This is where rules have to change. What possible advantages does the offside player gain from his fcuking ear being "offside"
Yeah, crazy, ref expert yesterday was explaining whats the rule about the margin between the shoulder and the arm. Hell that isnt even defined in medicine yet Fifa rules cover it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah but he had a perfectly normal run, as I said it was 2 or 3 milimetres at most on the imaginary line. Ref should have stayed with this decision with it being so close.
When they start doing that though people will moan that some are arbitrarily called offside and others aren't. I prefer black and white you're offside you're offside.

Real Name

When they start doing that though people will moan that some are arbitrarily called offside and others aren't. I prefer black and white you're offside you're offside.
My point is the line isnt even on the shoulder, look at the picture. Yes its black and white but the arbitrary line is a bit crazy.

rpitchfo

me to, you’re off, you’re off. Even if it’s a millimetre. Thats the rule now.
What I can’t stand is the subjective stuff it’s being used for.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
me to, you’re off, you’re off. Even if it’s a millimetre. Thats the rule now.
What I can’t stand is the subjective stuff it’s being used for.
Yep that's fair, the human application to some decisions (especially in the prem) and the lack of consistency does my head in.

Pronewbie

Peep
Instead of lauding the technology in this tournament that has gotten most of the black-and-white calls right, we get more shade thrown by ideological and ignorant nutters..

Thanks to VAR, Japan rightfully went through and even celebrated the same goal with greater delirium the 2nd time.

redsunited

For all the techonlogy line is actually on his arm, not the shoulder.
As long as there is no bias as there is no human intervention, i welcome whatever the decision is by mm. It is consistently same for all teams, so brilliant decision.
Otherwise it sounds hollow like David Moyes/Big Sam talking about it is only a toe offside, give benefit to attacker, the referee had killed the joy of football etc

mitChley

BBC have a poll on their website, was the ball in play or out of play. Despite the picture above clearly showing it's in play ~25% have voted out of play. There's no hoping some people.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What happened in the Uruguay game?
Ghana got a penalty and missed it

Uruguay had two penalty calls dismissed by the ref, one after VAR intervened to make him have a closer look

Raging debates over whether they were penalties or not

If either of those had been given and scored, or the wrongly awarded penalty from the Portugal game hadn't been given, Uruguay would have been through

Could also do with not waiting until the third game to score a goal

glasgow 21

What happened in the Uruguay game?
Cavani was given a stonewall penalty. Var didnt analysis it if it did stonewall. Others in last few games. @ penalties Argentina game plus on Alvarez and Szczęsny taking out Taglifigo in penalty area ( if converted Mexico go through). Croatia non penalty v poland dismissed for nonsense offside. Japan over, or not over the line (Germany out). The refusal of any broadcaster to continually highlight these incident but instead at times laugh at the the teams affected demises is shocking. Cavani's is probably the worst so far.

island

Supports
Chelsea
As always a chaos in the criteria.

The extra time idea may seem better or worse but we see completely different criteria from game to game. In general it tries to benefit the strongest.

Ridiculous penalties given, Messi's and Ronaldo's, for example.

There seems to be a clear order to try to avoid cards and expulsions.
Especially for the favorites.

Yesterday or the day before I saw a game refereed by women where the ball was one meter outside the field of play and they didn't signal anything.

The dives, the provocations, the violent behaviors usually carried out by Uruguay, Serbia, Argentina, etc...
They are not getting any vehement reaction.

I think there will be a lot of talk about refereeing until the last minute of the World Cup.

glasgow 21

This is where rules have to change. What possible advantages does the offside player gain from his fcuking ear being "offside"
Surely the line for the belgium player has to be taken from the upperside of his sleeve (same as the Croatian player)consequently ruling him onside.?. I am confused .

AlPistacho

Not directly related but probably best place for it. Why has there been so much injury time added? It’s been very common to see 5-6 minutes added to first half and 10 minutes added to the 2nd. Often a match will be played with no noticeable stoppages and it’ll have 6 minutes injury time? Has there been new instructions to the refs to count every sec that the ball is out of play?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Should be his foot and head. And should be the WHOLE of his foot and/or his head.

You'll still end up with sub mm decisions somewhere but far fewer.

A-man

What about this, would it have been a yellow if it wasn’t Messi?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Serious but possibly stupid question. During the Dutch antics yesterday in the penalty shootout, is it possible for the ref to issue yellow/red cards? If yes, and a player who is carded was going to take a penalty, do they forfeit a penalty or do you just pick another player to do it?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Serious but possibly stupid question. During the Dutch antics yesterday in the penalty shootout, is it possible for the ref to issue yellow/red cards? If yes, and a player who is carded was going to take a penalty, do they forfeit a penalty or do you just pick another player to do it?
Interesting question. I would assume someone else would get to take the penalty. Similarly to how if you have a player sent off before the shootout, it goes down to 10v10 shooters

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What about this, would it have been a yellow if it wasn’t Messi?

At the time I didn’t consider the fact it was Messi. I thought it was because Messi gained an attacking advantage from it (rather than defensive which would have been a yellow for sure) and Messi immediately conceded that advantage when he realised what he had done so the ref gave him the benefit of the doubt and left it as a free kick only.

diarm

The quotes from Messi and Martinez about the referee after last nights game are an absolute disgrace.

If FIFA had an ounce of integrity, they would ban both for a couple of games for bringing the game into disrepute.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty ridiculous complaining when the referee was giving the most pedantic fouls on Argentina... Paredes should have been sent off, that was the biggest mistake for me. Ridiculous tackle that was at least a yellow, then booting the ball hard in to the Netherlands bench, which was at least a yellow. This totally changed the game and is just another example of how useless the current implementation of VAR is. You get cm offsides given but obvious things that would completely change games can't even be reviewed!

A-man

Clearest booking you'll ever see
At the time I didn’t consider the fact it was Messi. I thought it was because Messi gained an attacking advantage from it (rather than defensive which would have been a yellow for sure) and Messi immediately conceded that advantage when he realised what he had done so the ref gave him the benefit of the doubt and left it as a free kick only.
I thought it was the clearest yellow I’ve ever seen. Stopping a ball at full arm’s length is always a yellow. And I personally think he got away with it because he is Messi. There were also a couple of cheap free kicks around him.

The quotes from Messi and Martinez about the referee after last nights game are an absolute disgrace.

If FIFA had an ounce of integrity, they would ban both for a couple of games for bringing the game into disrepute.
I haven’t seen this, what did they say? It feels stupid to me that you get a yellow card for celebrating without your shirt but you can celebrate like some Argentinian players did without getting a yellow.

diarm

I thought it was the clearest yellow I’ve ever seen. Stopping a ball at full arm’s length is always a yellow. And I personally think he got away with it because he is Messi. There were also a couple of cheap free kicks around him.

I haven’t seen this, what did they say? It feels stupid to me that you get a yellow card for celebrating without your shirt but you can celebrate like some Argentinian players did without getting a yellow.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/world-cup-...furious-martinez-hits-out-at-useless-referee/

arnie_ni

There's a video going around which seems to show the ref booking vvd just before penalties yet he was allowed to take one after getting a yellow in game. Is this what has prompted your question?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There's a video going around which seems to show the ref booking vvd just before penalties yet he was allowed to take one after getting a yellow in game. Is this what has prompted your question?
No, it was Dumfries etc. trying to put off penalty takers. I suppose you could give a yellow for poor sporting behaviour.

what I mean is if a player who is designated to take one of the 5 penalties is sent off (during the shootout) do they just then choose another player to take it or do they have to forfeit one of those penalties? You would assume it just goes onto the next person but I have no idea.

arnie_ni

No, it was Dumfries etc. trying to put off penalty takers. I suppose you could give a yellow for poor sporting behaviour.

what I mean is if a player who is designated to take one of the 5 penalties is sent off (during the shootout) do they just then choose another player to take it or do they have to forfeit one of those penalties? You would assume it just goes onto the next person but I have no idea.
Well with this ref your allowed to take one. He definitely seemed to give vvd a 2nd yellow just before the penos in the video i saw and he took one.

antohan

Paredes should have been sent off, that was the biggest mistake for me. Ridiculous tackle that was at least a yellow, then booting the ball hard in to the Netherlands bench, which was at least a yellow. This totally changed the game and is just another example of how useless the current implementation of VAR is. You get cm offsides given but obvious things that would completely change games can't even be reviewed!
The referee needs to control the temperature of the game. He clearly did it badly, but no one will ever convince me some guys locked in a room can do a better job of it using him as a mouthpiece.

If VAR considered a tackle/aggression warranted greater attention they can and usually do bring it to the ref's attention and it's down to them to dismiss (eg "saw it, meh") or entertain it ("didn't see shit, let's check it then").

You can criticise VAR a lot, but not for this.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The referee needs to control the temperature of the game. He clearly did it badly, but no one will ever convince me some guys locked in a room can do a better job of it using him as a mouthpiece.

If VAR considered a tackle/aggression warranted greater attention they can and usually do bring it to the ref's attention and it's down to them to dismiss (eg "saw it, meh") or entertain it ("didn't see shit, let's check it then").

You can criticise VAR a lot, but not for this.
It's an obvious sending off, for two cautions if not a straight red for blasting the ball at the opposition bench.

What's the point of VAR if it can't even deal with an obvious mistake like that.

A lot of the problems with football is that certain laws are just ignored depending on the game, who the player is or just because no one can be bothered to enforce properly.

antohan

It's an obvious sending off, for two cautions if not a straight red for blasting the ball at the opposition bench.

What's the point of VAR if it can't even deal with an obvious mistake like that.

A lot of the problems with football is that certain laws are just ignored depending on the game, who the player is or just because no one can be bothered to enforce properly.
It's still a refereeing issue, not a VAR issue. Refs would have no authority if they systematically act on VARs say so.