Refs and VAR at the World Cup

Jev

Are people still going to defend that Croatia call saying the right decision was made?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Are people still going to defend that Croatia call saying the right decision was made?
If the bloke in the middle challenging for the ball was offside (which I assume he was) then it was the right call.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Offside should really be based on the position of the feet, this single-hair offside when both players have arms in active positions is silly.
The problem with doing it just with feet is that makes it way more difficult for linesmen to judge at non-VAR levels. And the rule-makers don't want different offside laws at different levels of the game.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This is VAR's 'proof'.

It's automated so unless the technology has failed you would have to assume he's off side by a mm.

This is my issue with semi-auto offsides and why I actually prefer the currently way they do it in the PL (where there is a tolerance).... but yeah, we'll go back to tiny offsides that basically look onside with this semi-auto technology.

lonelyred

It's happened before. We had a VAR decision after the final whistle had gone.
But not after the play had continued. At list it's so according to the Laws of the Game - ref's decision can be changed until the ball's back in play (including the beginning of the second half). If Modric took the penalty kick, VAR could not intervene any more. It's been so for ever, before the introduction of VAR.

(So it can be changed after the final whistle, as you say, since the ball cannot be - hence has not been put back in play.)

Last edited:

Jev

It's automated so unless the technology has failed you would have to assume he's off side by a mm.

This is my issue with semi-auto offsides and why I actually prefer the currently way they do it in the PL (where there is a tolerance).... but yeah, we'll go back to tiny offsides that basically look onside with this semi-auto technology.
I agree. I'm not saying it's a wrong call, I'm saying it's a moronic call.

Fully Fledged

But not after the play had continued. At list it's so according to the Laws of the Game - ref's decision can be changed until the ball's back in play (including the beginning of the second half). If Modric took the penalty kick, VAR could not intervene any more. It's been so for ever, before the introduction of VAR.
I was taking about the one that was disallowed for France last night. The one that was disallowed after the final whistle.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lineker's right - offside should be judged by were your feet are. so much more straightforward

cyberman

Lineker's right - offside should be judged by were your feet are. so much more straightforward
Can’t feet be millimetres offside? What about getting to a cross ahead of the defender with your entire body offside?
I’m not having a go but it’s weird how it’s gone from being too precise to crying about offside in itself. Offside has been here for decades

Eli Zee

I think just the legs should be judged. If the foot or knee is further forward, that's what's judged.

however the hands, arms, head, body, etc... anything above the waist shouldn't matter.

lonelyred

It was so in the seventies and eighties (not sure about the nineties and later?). It was not a part of the Laws, but included in the IFAB's Guidelines for the Referees.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think just the legs should be judged. If the foot or knee is further forward, that's what's judged.

however the hands, arms, head, body, etc... anything above the waist shouldn't matter.
I did think that's what he meant but yes agree

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Can’t feet be millimetres offside? What about getting to a cross ahead of the defender with your entire body offside?
I’m not having a go but it’s weird how it’s gone from being too precise to crying about offside in itself. Offside has been here for decades
VAR offsides haven't to be fair. And I don't think anyone ever thought we'd be judging offsides down the nearest mm as it was always done by an official.

Jev

Once this automated thing is instant and the call comes straight away on the pitch, it's fine, in fact it will fix all the issues. But I doubt we'll get there anytime soon and until then you just get some utterly ridiculous decisions where miniscule 'mistakes' are 'corrected' after several minutes, and it's incredibly unsatisfying for everyone involved. There has to be a margin for it not to become a farce, which was the point of the original intention of fixing "clear and obvious errors".

Jev

Haven't seen the game. Did Tunis take the kick from the center after that (to be disallowed) goal and before the final whistle?
Yep. They took the kickoff and the final whistle came immediately afterwards.

Fully Fledged

Haven't seen the game. Did Tunis take the kick from the center after that (to be disallowed) goal and before the final whistle?
I don't know I was watching the other match but the tweet was saying that they can't change the result after the final whistle has been blown.

lonelyred

Yep. They took the kickoff and the final whistle came immediately afterwards.
That was either a mistake, or they have changed the rules since VAR had been introduced. I admit I only know (and am pretty sure about) the rule from the previous period. It was one of the basic/essential rules (ball in and out of play).

If the latter's the case, apologies for being so out of date :)

Last edited:

acnumber9

You don’t need to draw an arbitrary line on a foot. The whole shirt sleeve thing can’t be exact. A toe can.

Jev

That was either a mistake, or they have changed the rules since VAR had been introduced. I admit I only know (and am pretty sure about) the rule from the previous period. It was one of the basic/essential rules (Ball in and Out of Play).

If the latter's the case, apologies for being so out of date :)
Clearly France still believe those are the rules. But who knows with the way the rules are changed every five minutes.

saivet

Ridiculously tight but the Croatia man is interfering with play so offside is the right call. I didn't think the Griezman goal yesterday should have been disallowed though as I don't think he's interfering with play even if he was clearly in an offside position when the initial cross went in.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The problem with doing it just with feet is that makes it way more difficult for linesmen to judge at non-VAR levels. And the rule-makers don't want different offside laws at different levels of the game.
That's a good point although I'd think watching feet could be easier than trying to track arms like this. Either way, its become a little farcical when you see images like above.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Football is way worse with this bullshit, that’s a fact. A lot of the decisions they are making are wrong anyway. All it’s doing is taking away goals because of a 1mm offside and giving ridiculously soft penalties. Just get rid.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Jenas made a good point on commentary (even a broken clock can be right twice a day...) about how quick free kicks are dead as a result of referees and their peacocking.

All this pageantry organising walls, foam, pointing to whistles is a joke. Belgium made a good chance with a quick free but Taylor pulled it back because he wasn't finished with all his pomp and circumstance. It kills creativity.

cyberman

Jenas made a good point on commentary (even a broken clock can be right twice a day...) about how quick free kicks are dead as a result of referees and their peacocking.

All this pageantry organising walls, foam, pointing to whistles is a joke. Belgium made a good chance with a quick free but Taylor pulled it back because he wasn't finished with all his pomp and circumstance. It kills creativity.
It made no sense. Just blow and look for the foul. It’s not his job to make sure nobody is fouling anybody else.
My favourite is (I forget who) last week when a ref stopped play to tell an attacker he was offside.

frostbite

Great job by VAR! Again! (Japan - Spain, second goal)

VAR has resolved correctly most of the cases, and it saved us from a lot of potential referee mistakes. Does anyone remember the World Cup 2002 in Korea?

It is a pity that some pundits (and some fans) focus so much on the very few cases where VAR got it wrong. I believe the vast majority of VAR decisions are correct.