Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

UncleBob

It's the Mike Riley shitshow.

Not sure which iteration we're on in terms of handball rules this season, certainly not the same we started the season with. Then there's the complete farce of changing the offside rule mid season.

But that's not correct - it's not a handball if the ball hits your hand and you don't have a chance to move it out of the way. The law as written is ambiguous - it has consistently been interpreted as being a handball if the defender gains an advantage. I'm not arguing that the law shouldn't be clarified and made explicit one way or another; my point is it seems very much antithetical to the spirit of the law to argue that this is a stonewall penalty when afterwards Greenwood controlled the ball anyhow.
Unless its in an unnatural position. I don't think it should be a handball, but under the rules the leagues has set itself, it's a clear handball.

It's the Mike Riley shitshow.

Not sure which iteration we're on in terms of handball rules this season, certainly not the same we started the season with. Then there's the complete farce of changing the offside rule mid season.
He was a poor referee who couldn't keep control of games, it's no surprise he's a poor boss of referees who can't keep control of the organisation.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Of course I am asking you to chase a dragon that doesn’t exist. We just disagree on the reason why that is! :-)

It will be interesting to see how handball decisions go for the rest of the season. The one today involved a player punching the ball, whilst looking straight at it and with no deflection or argument that it was hit too hard for him to react. If that’s no longer to be considered a deliberate handball, we won’t see many more this season.
Fair enough! I just would focus more on the outcome rather than the action itself, personally. Appreciate the discussion mate!

Think of when a player loses the ballbut gets fouled and gets a pen. They would have never got a shot off but still pen. Most recent I can think of is Gundogan, miscontrols ball out of plat fouls other player first, gets a pen. What advantage was taken for that interpretation?
Not trying to WUM but I'm not exactly following you here, apologies.

The old handball law was written that all handballs must be deliberate. However, referees always interpreted it with a degree of common sense where they factored in intent and the advantage gained. Where the advantage gained was so significant from a non-deliberate handball they typically awarded a penalty. Or, to put it another way, not all handballs given as penalties were deliberate. That was how referees embraced the spirit of the law.
Spot on. This is exactly what I've been trying to say.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure how anyone can watch that and think Mount is the one who did something wrong!
:houllier: Mount kicked him after the foul, Fred got yellow for the foul, Mount was lucky he didn't get anything for that.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not a contest, is it?

They both clearly did something wrong.
And he connected, even if just briefly. Can imagine a different player than Fred rolling around in agony from that and drawing more attention to it

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Fernandinho would've taken full advantage of that kickout by little Mounty.

UncleBob

And he connected, even if just briefly. Can imagine a different player than Fred rolling around in agony from that and drawing more attention to it
As a bare minimum, Mount should've had a yellow.

Can't really much from Attwell though, he's an absolute useless referee.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Did they review this incident?
Well they tell us they review everything so they must have done.

It's a bit naughty but there isn't that much contact/aggression in it (similar with Martial on Lamela for example - which most people thought wasn't red worthy), so yellow card worthy at most, probably why there was no action (as VAR can't give yellows)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
As a bare minimum, Mount should've had a yellow.

Can't really much from Attwell though, he's an absolute useless referee.
It’s the kind of stuff I thought VAR may have been introduced to pick up on, the sneaky kick outs missed by the ref, clearly not.

Superden

it is laughable how much people over-react to VAR. although its no different to how much people over reacted to refereeing decisions pre VAR.

there would have been just as much angst about the handball in pre VAR times as there is now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Arm not in natural position, away from body and moving towards the ball, this is so clear handball without a question mark and have been given many times this season based on those reasons.

My suggestion is they need to have a meeting and have discussion regarding everything not just handball. What is handball and what is not handball, what is a red card and what is not a red and etc. This bunch of group people have no clue what they are doing and that’s why they are making inconsistent decision.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
:houllier: Mount kicked him after the foul, Fred got yellow for the foul, Mount was lucky he didn't get anything for that.
What was Fred's reaction? There was not one at all because he didn't kick him.

He kicked out a bit after getting smashed but didn't connect.

I know you lot are in full conspiracy mode but there was nothing in this other than Fred being a lucky boy to only get a yellow.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
it is laughable how much people over-react to VAR. although its no different to how much people over reacted to refereeing decisions pre VAR.

there would have been just as much angst about the handball in pre VAR times as there is now.
there wouldn’t because people could accept mistakes made in real time, that handball was hard to see and I thought it was mason who handled it in real time. With replays and freeze frames and still making an iffy decision, that leaves a different sour taste feeling.

roonster09

Scout

I know you lot are in full conspiracy mode but there was nothing in this other than Fred being a lucky boy to only get a yellow.
Seriously? Watch properly you might see it.

Fred should have rolled on the floor, shame he is not a "Smart cnut" as Jose would like to say.

2nd bold part, talk about conspiracy mode and then follow it up with "lucky to get only yellow" :lol:

UncleBob

:lol::lol::wenger::wenger::wenger::wenger:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Mount definitely got Fred on the left ankle. Missed Fred's leg in front but got him on the back one.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

He did connect

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Never more then a yellow for Fred, just as it's never more then a yellow (if that) for Mount.

I don't think there would have - because in real time very few people spotted the handball. So I think there would have been a much greater level of sympathy with the ref.

It’s the kind of stuff I thought VAR may have been introduced to pick up on, the sneaky kick outs missed by the ref, clearly not.
It is a bit weird/daft the yellow card rules with VAR.

It can:
- Give a Yellow Card if VAR awards a free kick due to a goal or penalty being cancelled
- Give a Yellow Card instead of a Red Card

It can't
- Give Yellow Cards for off the ball incidents (Why? It's not like showing Mount a yellow yesterday for example would add on a bunch of time)
- Remove second yellow cards that result in a red (because a straight red card and a red card for two yellows are completely different of course?)

I get like, not wanting to get involved in the weeds of every free kick/yellow card decision... but not sure why they pointlessly limit themselves.

roonster09

Scout
:lol: come on there's nothing in that
There is nothing in that because Fred didn't roll on the ground. It was clear yellow card offense, but Chelsea players escaped so many yellows kicking James all game, so wasn't surprising Mount didn't get one.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think there would have - because in real time very few people spotted the handball. So I think there would have been a much greater level of sympathy with the ref.
I was one of the very few :D

I spotted the hand ball in real time and was wondering why ref didn't give penalty.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I was one of the very few :D

I spotted the hand ball in real time and was wondering why ref didn't give penalty.
Then you have eagle eyes my friend - I like Tyler and Neville thought Mason handballed it!

Probably a good case study though, would you have been equally frustrated by the decision if the ref hadn't been able to watch it clear as day on a screen?.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Fred didn't seem to notice, if he did connect. I'm not talking about rolling around, there was literally zero reaction.
It was a wimpy meaningless kick yes but it did connect Only Fred was too busy worrying what the ref was going to do, if he was ‘cleverer’ he would have flopped back down and rolled around. I don’t like players doing that but they do and it works, especially these days with VAR and the doubt that surrounds everything.

UncleBob

Ofcourse he connects.

Fred not making a meal out of it is not the definition of making contact or not.

roonster09

Scout
Then you have eagle eyes my friend - I like Tyler and Neville thought Mason handballed it!

Probably a good case study though, would you have been equally frustrated by the decision if the ref hadn't been able to watch it clear as day on a screen?.
That's the problem isn't it, previously there was a good deal of sympathy on refs as it all happens in a split second and they are humans too without much help. Now they have all the assistance, replays, multiple angles and still make poor decisions.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

:lol:

SuperiorXI

There is nothing in that because Fred didn't roll on the ground. It was clear yellow card offense, but Chelsea players escaped so many yellows kicking James all game, so wasn't surprising Mount didn't get one.
He barely touches him. If he made more meaningful contact they definitely would have reviewed it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's the problem isn't it, previously there was a good deal of sympathy on refs as it all happens in a split second and they are humans too without much help. Now they have all the assistance, replays, multiple angles and still make poor decisions.
That’s the main issue with VAR and how it’s being used imo. The over scrutiny of everything (accept clear kick outs that may only be yellows) is just too much.

I kind of feel sorry for the refs because a lot of decisions when slowed down and freeze framed will be seen differently by lots of people, it’s putting so much pressure on the ref in that moment and a lot of the time there is no black and white right answer, it’s going to make them constantly second guess themselves which will lead to more mistakes made.

UncleBob

They did review that, just didn't think it was a red for Maguire.

But yeah this Mount thing is a much a muchness... Its a yellow card at most, who cares?
In a match where Chelsea were pretty much allowed to do whatever they wanted to break up our attacks, i care.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In a match where Chelsea were pretty much allowed to do whatever they wanted to break up our attacks, i care.
That's a slightly different issue to an off the ball incident he probably didn't spot though.

To be fair the ref was spotting the fouls, he was just constantly playing advantage (fine) but then not going back to address the foul, give a yellow.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Regarding the CHO incident. I'll admit that over the past couple of years I've come to the realisation that I probably don't understand the handball laws (or I do and the refs don't, which I hope is not true!).

I'm real time I thought no way it was pen. On slow-mo replay viewing I was sure he'd give the pen under the rules as I understand them.

Is there anything in the laws to not give a pen because both players were jostling and CHO's arm got knocked to the ball by Greenwoods arm? That's maybe a logical reason to not give a pen but I do get that logic and refereeing decisions don't go hand in hand.