Religion, what's the point?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not so sure about that.

My impression about secularisation: Christianity in Europe, mainly yes. Christianity in the US, no (but it's contested). Islam in the West, a definitive no; the re-Islamisation is in full stride and intensifying. Judaism seems to have gotten more religious, too. Various sects, esoteric and superstitious beliefs are massively on the rise since the last third of the 20th century.

I have the general impression of a simultaneity of an ongoing secularisation and a strong & growing religious renaissance in the West since 40-50 years.
Christianity in the US is definitely plummeted off a cliff. Just look at the social norms of today compared with 30 years ago.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The organisation I have worked with was interested in preventing children primarily from starving to death. Places like Africa, Philipines, Nicaragua and Haiiti.
Doubt there was anything attached to the help they were giving. That it was not a condition I'm sure. In Africa for example the majority are Muslims. Doubt they are only going to Christian communities.
I've said before that if religion was gone I'd doubt people would help each other as much. It's the only reason I think religion is any good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We'll never get to the point where religion goes extinct, though. There is a deep desire for transcendency in a large number of people, which is completely unaffected by education and information.
God as a means to understand the world will die, God in whatever local flavor to offer solace and a perspective for an eternal existance won't ever.
I'm sure it will sooner or later. The more knowledge we accrue and the less compartmentalized our social systems are, the less religion will be de-legitimized as a relevant or acceptable concept. Just because it has been around since the early days, does not mean it's an eternal construct. In fact we are currently in the early days of 100 or so year process of a general divestment from religion towards ideas that are beneficial to all humans, not shallow identity plays from the past.

Silva

I've said before that if religion was gone I'd doubt people would help each other as much. It's the only reason I think religion is any good.
Yeah they would. People would still feel a sense of sadness and urgency when they saw a starving child or a natural event decimate communities. Difference would be that more charity dollars would be spent on helpful resources rather than trying to convert them to the right religion.

Silva

The organisation I have worked with was interested in preventing children primarily from starving to death. Places like Africa, Philipines, Nicaragua and Haiiti.
Doubt there was anything attached to the help they were giving. That it was not a condition I'm sure. In Africa for example the majority are Muslims. Doubt they are only going to Christian communities.
Which charity?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'm sure it will sooner or later. The more knowledge we accrue and the less compartmentalized our social systems are, the less religion will be de-legitimized as a relevant or acceptable concept. Just because it has been around since the early days, does not mean it's an eternal construct. In fact we are currently in the early days of 100 or so year process of a general divestment from religion towards ideas that are beneficial to all humans, not shallow identity plays from the past.
I think you disregard the fact that spirituality seems to be imprinted in a lot of people. Just take a look at this thread. There's a lot of people here, who believe in a supernatural entity, despite being perfectly educated, intelligent and wealthy.
Why? Because they seem to have an innate desire for such an entity. Some hope for a form of immortality, others just want to believe someone's guarding and protecting them from somewhere above, for many it's a combo of both.
Yes, traditional organized religions seem to be on a declining path, but as Synco outlined correctly, people seek their niches elsewhere.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think you disregard the fact that spirituality seems to be imprinted in a lot of people. Just take a look at this thread. There's a lot of people here, who believe in a supernatural entity, despite being perfectly educated, intelligent and wealthy.
Why? Because they seem to have an innate desire for such an entity. Some hope for a form of immortality, others just want to believe someone's guarding and protecting them from somewhere above, for many it's a combo of both.
Yes, traditional organized religions seem to be on a declining path, but as Synco outlined correctly, people seek their niches elsewhere.
Its not imprinted (whatever that means), its socially acquired and reinforced by the social structures humans have lived in over the past 10,000 or so years. There is no biological necessity for humans to believe such nonsense, and just as it once emerged, it will also be gradually expunged from all legitimate discourse a social structures change over time, which will change social norms, rules, ideas, identity, and thus the legitimacy of believing complete fairy tales.

Silva

Cross International also considers sharing the Gospel a priority and we strive to serve others with humility for the glory of God. Everything we provide is given in the name of Jesus, and we believe a strong, personal relationship with Christ is essential to the ultimate well-being of the poor. Our Lord is the only source of spiritual transformation and is the key to salvation and the blessings of eternal life.
Cross International's own website... If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah they would. People would still feel a sense of sadness and urgency when they saw a starving child or a natural event decimate communities. Difference would be that more charity dollars would be spent on helpful resources rather than trying to convert them to the right religion.
I don't believe that at all. People tend to be selfish cnuts and religion does a good job of guilting them and organizing them to not be.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Neither exist. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for you.
Thank feck for that. I thought I would either have demons sticking their red hot pokers up my arse or have priests sticking their red hot pokers up my arse. Although I am an adult so I doubt the priests would be interested.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Christianity in the US is definitely plummeted off a cliff. Just look at the social norms of today compared with 30 years ago.
Sure, that's what I meant with my last sentence. Continued Secularisation and a contradicting, growing religious backlash happening simultaneously. But you know the social reality in the US much better than me, of course.

Silva

I don't believe that at all. People tend to be selfish cnuts and religion does a good job of guilting them and organizing them to not be.
Even if they did give more on average than non religious people the money isn't as effectively spent, with much of it going directly to church activities rather than what you and I would consider charitable venues. Let's face it, if your buy a starving kid a bible, you're not really helping.

http://religiondispatches.org/new-study-three-quarters-of-american-giving-goes-to-religion/

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Its not imprinted (whatever that means), its socially acquired and reinforced by the social structures humans have lived in over the past 10,000 or so years.
Scientific research on the matter seems to suggest something different

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/what-twins-reveal-about-god-gene

The whole thing might have started as a social acquitance 10.000 or more years ago, but it seems to be genetically imprinted now.

There is no biological necessity for humans to believe such nonsense
There is no biological necessity for a lot of things people like to do. Drinking beer, smoking pot, taking photographs, etc,etc. People do things they find enticing.
Believing in something is enticing to a lot of people and offers them some sort of added value to their lives.
Religion as a product appeals to the needs of those who want to believe in something. This seperates it from your conventional Snowhite fairytale, which doesn't come with an eternal afterlife for its followers in its baggage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Scientific research on the matter seems to suggest something different

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/what-twins-reveal-about-god-gene

The whole thing might have started as a social acquitance 10.000 or more years ago, but it seems to be genetically imprinted now.

There is no biological necessity for a lot of things people like to do. Drinking beer, smoking pot, taking photographs, etc,etc. People do things they find enticing.
Believing in something is enticing to a lot of people and offers them some sort of added value to their lives.
Religion as a product appeals to the needs of those who want to believe in something. This seperates it from your conventional Snowhite fairytale, which doesn't come with an eternal afterlife for its followers in its baggage.
Its quite obvious - and for the same reasons why religion is enticing - they are socially acceptable norms that are attractive at the moment because they have been done for sometime which means the identity of people who lived during those periods are affixed to the such traditions/fads etc

This idea that believing in something is enticing doesn't speak to why its enticing. Its not because we are biologically programmed to do so, but rather because we are from a young age, brainwashed into the socio cultural norms of the era we happen to be born in. 500 years from now when religion is relegated to ancient voodoo, people may find such arguments utterly vacuous.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Its quite obvious - and for the same reasons why religion is enticing - they are socially acceptable norms that are attractive at the moment because they have been done for sometime which means the identity of people who lived during those periods are affixed to the such traditions/fads etc

This idea that believing in something is enticing doesn't speak to why its enticing. Its not because we are biologically programmed to do so, but rather because we are from a young age, brainwashed into the socio cultural norms of the era we happen to be born in. 500 years from now when religion is relegated to ancient voodoo, people may find such arguments utterly vacuous.
I think there is more to it then you give it credit for. Read that article, it's really interesting.
As for the why, immortality is a pretty strong argument by itself, so is taking solace in the belief someone's guiding the believer. I've spoken to a lot of religious people, and one revolving issue that came up again and again as an example, is that a lot of these folks cannot accept that their existance is finite. None of them were uneducated or poor, a lot of them didn't even have a religious parenthood.
Reducing the matter to sociological brainwash doesn't capture the phenomenon in its entirety, as I think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think there is more to it then you give it credit for. Read that article, it's really interesting.
As for the why, immortality is a pretty strong argument by itself, so is taking solace in the belief someone's guiding the believer. I've spoken to a lot of religious people, and one revolving issue that came up again and again as an example, is that a lot of these folks cannot accept that their existance is finite. None of them where uneducated or poor, a lot of them didn't even have a religious parenthood.
Reducing the matter to sociological brainwash doesn't capture the phenomenon in its entirety, as I think.
You don't have to be educated or uneducated to believe that - you just have to be socialized into a construct where you are taught that this is the way the Universe works - a place where you were created and are destined to go to either heaven or hell where you will continue living forever. A bit like a divine North Korea.

RedTiger

Half mast
As for the why, immortality is a pretty strong argument by itself, so is taking solace in the belief someone's guiding the believer. I've spoken to a lot of religious people, and one revolving issue that came up again and again as an example, is that a lot of these folks cannot accept that their existance is finite. None of them were uneducated or poor, a lot of them didn't even have a religious parenthood.
I agree with this.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
You don't have to be educated or uneducated to believe that - you just have to be socialized into a construct where you are taught that this is the way the Universe works - a place where you were created and are destined to go to either heaven or hell where you will continue living forever. A bit like a divine North Korea.
But there's enough evidence of people who weren't socialized in a religious environment who still follow a religion. Again, I might point you to the article I've linked. It's lengthy read, but well worth the effort. Maybe give it a go, when you find the time.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Cross International's own website... If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.
Silva. You are incapable of having a discussion. You attack.

There is no red flag. You Want to see a red flag.

Whatever charity I make I do in His name. I do not do it on condition they believe. I do not even mention Him. What Cross International does I am sure is to help the poor. They don't go there to preach.

Silva

Silva. You are incapable of having a discussion. You attack.

There is no red flag. You Want to see a red flag.

Whatever charity I make I do in His name. I do not do it on condition they believe. I do not even mention Him. What Cross International does I am sure is to help the poor. They don't go there to preach.
And you're blind. Their own website, the source that is supposed to make them sound amazing, says as much. You're not giving money to unicef mate, you've giving money to an evangelical organisation.

Silva

STATEMENT OF BELIEFS

MISSION
True change comes from within. Physical change is not complete without sharing the Gospel. In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. This refers to the active combination of word and deed; “holistic ministry”. We must share the hope and good news of the Gospel alongside our social work in order to see the Holy Spirit’s transformative power. Neither side of our ministry is complete without the other. We must address both to see a true transformation and to end the plague of extreme poverty.

We are a Christian ministry that serves the poorest of the poor internationally by channeling aid through existing churches or church-based ministries, cost-effectively helping the poor while advancing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

VISION
We seek to reflect God's love for us in the way we treat others - not only with words of encouragement, but through practical actions which comfort, sustain and uplift those in greatest need.
The Scriptures clearly reveal this call to action, and its truth will be our guide (1 John 3:16, Isaiah 58:6-12, Matthew 25:31-46, Acts 2:40-47).

As believers in Christ's Gospel of mercy, we strive to bring God's promised salvation to men and women of every race, creed and walk of life. Jesus also taught that the needy are rich in faith - a gift which can bless the poor in spirit. Therefore, we seek to create an exchange of both material and spiritual sustenance between the Church in America and churches in developing countries.

In all things, we strive to glorify God, revealing His perfect grace to the world.

FAITH
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
2. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church and in His personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
5. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
6. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
7. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences.

VALUES

We want to value what God values. We want to conform our heart and mind to the heart and mind of God. Consequently, we humbly seek to be guided by the following core values in our ministry and to constantly seek the wisdom of God to improve our understanding and implementation of these principles.

1. We seek to provide food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education, economic opportunities and other such blessings to the poorest of the poor.
2. We seek to help the poor in Jesus' name and for the glory of God.
3. We seek to give priority to those efforts which empower the local church and Christian ministries which help the poor and which are also dedicated to the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
4. We seek to give priority to those churches and ministries which employ a community-oriented strategy in helping the poor and which increase the self-sufficiency of the poor.
5. We seek to foster an exchange between the churches of the Developing World and the churches of the First World and demonstrate respect for the vision of the churches and ministries with which we work.
6. We seek to maintain a high standard of excellence in our work, not sacrificing the quality of our work for the sake of quantity. And we seek to operate with integrity and honesty in respect to our donors and co-laborers.

http://www.crossinternational.org/beliefs

Bibles aren't nutritious you know.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
MISSION
True change comes from within. Physical change is not complete without sharing the Gospel. In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. This refers to the active combination of word and deed; “holistic ministry”. We must share the hope and good news of the Gospel alongside our social work in order to see the Holy Spirit’s transformative power. Neither side of our ministry is complete without the other. We must address both to see a true transformation and to end the plague of extreme poverty.

We are a Christian ministry that serves the poorest of the poor internationally by channeling aid through existing churches or church-based ministries, cost-effectively helping the poor while advancing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

http://www.crossinternational.org/beliefs

Bibles aren't nutritious.

It does seem like they think the answer to poverty is faith....which is utter nonsense, of course. When religion was at it's height I'm fairly sure there were still lots of poor folk about.

Silva

It does seem like they think the answer to poverty is faith....which is utter nonsense, of course. When religion was at it's height I'm fairly sure there were still lots of poor folk about.
It's the same story with the majority of religious charities. They're evangelical outreach programs, not poverty relief. Hence my instinctive roll of the eyes when a religious person claims their churches are fighting the good fight.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's the same story with the majority of religious charities. They're evangelical outreach programs, not poverty relief.
I always like the Benny Hinn/Creflo Dollar ones who insist that they need a private jet to do their foreign ministry work.

I mean, Creflo A. Dollar...the clue's in the fecking name!

Javi

So according to the article they investigated identical twins (ergo same genetics) that were separated, whether or not they followed religion and found out that they had a greater similarity that presumably "normal" twins which allows to conclude that it must be genetic? Give me a break.

AFAIK intelligence is to some part genetic so what if less educated people are more religious than more educated ones and so identical twins more often than the others end up in the similar education bracket and that were the similarity is coming from?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But there's enough evidence of people who weren't socialized in a religious environment who still follow a religion. Again, I might point you to the article I've linked. It's lengthy read, but well worth the effort. Maybe give it a go, when you find the time.
I did read the article. It seems like the sort of thing one might find on a science popularization website. Finding similarities in adopted, twins is hardly compelling in terms of incontrovertible evidence that religion is genetically encoded in us. Nor is a case where two sisters became religious despite having atheist/agnostic parents. The article makes no attempt to drill down into the myriad of factors that may have influenced such behavior, but instead attempts to gleefully link it to genetics.

Not coincidentally, the author of the article is also the author of a book that is promoted at the bottom of the page. In the Amazon reviews, a professor who actually works in the field characterizes the book as just "wild, rampant, speculation", which is generally the sentiment I got after reading the article.

"......I am a professor working actively in the area of human genetics. I am very sympathetic to the viewpoint that genetic determinism is dead. However, others have pointed this out for the past 100 years, so it is surprising that this author seems to think he somehow discovered this over the past decade. Yes, I agree that the media wildly over-hypes the similarities in identical twins, while discounting the myriad differences, but this has been known by intelligent people for years.

The author dismisses (rightfully so) much of the pseudoscience in the diet industry, but then he very uncritically presents the very controversial data regarding transgenerational inheritance in mammals, including humans, as if this is somehow accepted and not controversial. He cites many underpowered studies that do not readily prove his case, and much of his writing is overly simplistic and further propagates the “gene for” meme. The author then really goes off the rails with wild speculations regarding heritability in terms of homosexuality (“gay genes”) and other sexual traits.

This is not a scholarly book by any means, and if you buy it, please read it with substantial skepticism. There were a few useful points and citations sprinkled among the rest of the speculative and frankly pseudoscientific material in the book, so this is why I gave it a 2 rather than a 1. I had really hoped that this author would write a scholarly and well-referenced, critical book in this area, but this is basically just wild, rampant speculation."

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So according to the article they investigated identical twins (ergo same genetics) that were separated, whether or not they followed religion and found out that they had a greater similarity that presumably "normal" twins which allows to conclude that it must be genetic? Give me a break.

AFAIK intelligence is to some part genetic so what if less educated people are more religious than more educated ones and so identical twins more often than the others end up in the similar education bracket and that were the similarity is coming from?
That's precisely what it suggests, which is borderline laughable imo.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It debunks the assumption that adopting a belief is mainly the result of socialization, and delivers evidence that people who are inclined to believe in something will do so, regardless of their specific circumstances they live in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It debunks the assumption that adopting a belief is mainly the result of socialization, and delivers evidence that people who are inclined to believe in something will do so, regardless of their specific circumstances they live in.
It doesn't debunk anything to be honest. It just gives a couple of random examples of twins/sisters without providing any background about methodology and other pertinent information one might want to see when evaluating such a claim.

Silva

Thought I'd look on google scholar since your article didn't provide much in the way in the way of data, and this was the only abstract I could find that resembles your argument. Seems like it is mainly the result of environmental factors. It's not like those the twins did anything particularly different to what they were exposed to. Not only does go against your assertions, it indicates that article is selling half-truths.

The transmission of religious affiliation is analyzed in a sample of 3810 Australian twin pairs and their parents. Twins were classified by sex, zygosity, and whether they were living together or apart. Analysis of twin, spousal, and parent-offspring resemblance shows that several different forms of cultural inheritance operate jointly in the transmission of religious affiliation. Model-fitting methods show that (1) the environmental influence of mothers is significantly greater than fathers; (2) there is a substantial amount of assortative mating for religious affiliation; (3) there is a substantial environmental component shared by twins which does not depend on parental religious affiliation; (4) religious affiliation attributed to parents by their children is biased by the religious affiliation of the children; (5) nongenetic effects on the expression of religious affiliation are much greater in twins living together; and (6) a moderate genetic effect on religious affiliation is expressed in females but only when twins live apart. Implications of the method and findings are discussed for other aspects of family resemblance, including the analysis of social and occupational mobility.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
Why can't you accept that some people genuinely believe that we are all G-d's creatures and feel an extra imperative to help?

Sure awful things are done wrongly in the name of faith but equally many great things are done when one feels an extra accountability and doesn't view life as a meaningless (therefore) disposable gibbering collection of organs.

I'm not religious at all but firmly believe in G-d. And science.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
The evidence doesn't support it. Just look at what you're doing in Gaza. Those that claim to be the most pious are often causing the greatest harm.
Pretending that this isn't a defensive conflict for a minute (and lets not derail), I'd argue that if Israel was totally irreligious, the carnage would have been far far worse.

Silva

Pretending that this isn't a defensive conflict for a minute (and lets not derail), I'd argue that if Israel was totally irreligious, the carnage would have been far far worse.
Fair enough, it's for another thread. How about social inequality? If religious peoples were genuinely more generous and inclined to help the disadvantaged, why does the link between inequality and religiosity exist?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/septemberweb-only/religioninequality.html

The reason is that they're not. The vast majority of people throughout history have been god fearing and religious, and yet, where religion has the strongest roots, inequality is greater. It's almost like believing in god isn't linked to being more generous or kinder.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse