Religion, what's the point?

frostbite

So… your entire marriage hinges on a massive lie. Nice.
You are too harsh, I think. He says they have a good relationship, and they are reasonably happy. Which is more than what you can find in many marriages. It is not a "massive lie" to let the other believe whatever she believes in, or avoid confrontations about faith with your partner.

Also, people change their ideas about god as they get older. Some become more fanatic, some lose interest, and some become atheists. From what @Shakesey wrote here, it seems that his wife is getting more like him over time, so everything seems great to me.

Carolina Red

Staff
You are too harsh, I think. He says they have a good relationship, and they are reasonably happy. Which is more than what you can find in many marriages. It is not a "massive lie" to let the other believe whatever she believes in, or avoid confrontations about faith with your partner.

Also, people change their ideas about god as they get older. Some become more fanatic, some lose interest, and some become atheists. From what @Shakesey wrote here, it seems that his wife is getting more like him over time, so everything seems great to me.
How is it too harsh? It’s stating a fact.

Girl straight up said she wouldn’t marry someone who didn’t believe in god so he lied.

frostbite

How is it too harsh? It’s stating a fact.

Girl straight up said she wouldn’t marry someone who didn’t believe in god so he lied.
It is a white lie. Definitely not a "massive lie", it is a tiny, painless lie.

Are you married? Have you ever been married? Did your wife ever ask you "do you think I am fat?", "do I look good in this dress?", "do you like my mom?" ... and a million other questions when they do not need the "truth", they need your love.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Are you married? Have you ever been married? Did your wife ever ask you "do you think I am fat?", "do I look good in this dress?", "do you like my mom?" ... and a million other questions when they do not need the "truth", they need your love.
It’s based on religion, it’s much more than a ‘tiny, painless lie.’ Doesn’t seem fair to either party involved.

frostbite

It’s based on religion, it’s much more than a ‘tiny, painless lie.’ Doesn’t seem fair to either party involved.
Yeah, well, I am sure his wife knows he is not too religious. You can say "I believe in god" and do nothing about it, or say "I don't believe in god" and do nothing about it. In practice, it is the same thing, it makes no difference.

It is only the fanatics that cause problems. For example, if one is a fanatic atheist and talks down the other's faith, then obviously it is a big problem because it will cause fights. This is not the case here. This woman wanted her husband to not mock her about her faith, and she wanted him to be tolerant, and she wanted him to join her in a few services or whatever. The guy is doing this, which makes her happy. It is a good thing. (I'd bet that she knows he doesn't believe in god, so ... actually, she probably appreciates him more because he is playing along respecting her faith without causing problems.)

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, well, I am sure his wife knows he is not too religious. You can say "I believe in god" and do nothing about it, or say "I don't believe in god" and do nothing about it. In practice, it is the same thing, it makes no difference.

It is only the fanatics that cause problems. For example, if one is a fanatic atheist and talks down the other's faith, then obviously it is a big problem because it will cause fights. This is not the case here. This woman wanted her husband to not mock her about her faith, and she wanted him to be tolerant, and she wanted him to join her in a few services or whatever. The guy is doing this, which makes her happy. It is a good thing.
Even the poster intimated that it is far more than just going services. He literally said he is living a lie with his wife regarding religion. It’s duplicitous.

I gotta stop here, I can’t believe I am actually potentially defending religion in any capacity.

Withnail

I don't think it's like any of those things. Do you think his wife would see it that way if she ever found out?

Of course, he'd be insane to tell her. His best bet to start subtly voicing 'doubts' every so often over the next few years.

Jaysus though, I absolutely could not live a lie like that.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff

I have been married for 7 years to someone I’ve been with for 12.

Saying “no” to “does my butt look big in this?” is a far fecking cry from claiming to believe in a divine being so you can trick them into matrimony and then keeping the lie going for however long they’ve been married.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
@Carolina Red @frostbite

Some thought provoking exchanges there! Thanks Frosty for sticking up for me. And yes, our relationship is based on much, much more than a lie. And also Carolina, you are right by saying part of the foundation of our relationship is based on a lie. What remains irrefutably true, however, is that I have met few if any married couples who are more happily married than us. So, if it was initially based partly on a lie, then that is fine with me if this is what a lie brings. We don't talk about God, I'm not forced to go to church (unless it's Christmas) and she knows my whole view on the universe is scientific. I just say god must've started it all off. That's the only lie I live now, really. Anyway, I chose this life and I'm convinced millions lead this deception across the globe. And they can be happy in spite of it.

Last edited:

frostbite

@Carolina Red @frostbite

Some thought provoking exchanges there! Thanks Frosty for sticking up for me. And yes, our relationship is based on much, much more than a lie. And also Carolina, you are right by saying part of the foundation of our relationship is based on a lie. What remains irrefutably true, however, is that I have met few if any married couples who are more happily married than us. So, if it was initially based partly on a lie, then that is fine with me if this is what a lie brings. We don't talk about God, I'm not forced to go to church (unless it's Christmas) and she knows my whole view on the universe is scientific. I just say god must've started it all off. That's the only lie I live now, really. Anyway, I chose this life and I'm convinced millions lead this deception across the globe. And they can be happy despite of it.
I am glad you are doing well! And my opinion is that you should not feel guilty about the "lie". There is a problem only when one of the two applies pressure to the other to make them change their beliefs, for example if she wants you to get overly religious or if you want to make her an atheist.

And you know what? It is possible that your wife already knows since the beginning that you don't really believe in god and that you tell her what she wants to hear, and actually ... she gives you extra points for this because you are doing it for her sake! Sometimes, the "lies" we tell to others to make them happy are good lies.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red @frostbite

Some thought provoking exchanges there! Thanks Frosty for sticking up for me. And yes, our relationship is based on much, much more than a lie. And also Carolina, you are right by saying part of the foundation of our relationship is based on a lie. What remains irrefutably true, however, is that I have met few if any married couples who are more happily married than us. So, if it was initially based partly on a lie, then that is fine with me if this is what a lie brings. We don't talk about God, I'm not forced to go to church (unless it's Christmas) and she knows my whole view on the universe is scientific. I just say god must've started it all off. That's the only lie I live now, really. Anyway, I chose this life and I'm convinced millions lead this deception across the globe. And they can be happy in spite of it.
Best of luck to you

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
She’ll be fuming with you when she gets to heaven and you don’t get in though.
It's usually the atheists that are the nicest, though, so bet she'll be surprised in hell, when she hears all the lit music!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Totally not a cult…

If she was really following the bible, she wouldn't presume to make this video.

1 Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

1 Timothy 2:1 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

Conclusion: the bible is old and dumb.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I'm not religious, but feck sake. If someone wants false hope who the feck are we to argue?

If x wants to marry y. Then who is anyone to stop them based on anything?

There's enough churches, there's enough religions, and enough shite to state the fact we live in a state of random chaos.

Now will you all stop knocking on my fecking front door please? I already have the books. They are keeping the fire handy.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm not religious, but feck sake. If someone wants false hope who the feck are we to argue?

If x wants to marry y. Then who is anyone to stop them based on anything?

There's enough churches, there's enough religions, and enough shite to state the fact we live in a state of random chaos.

Now will you all stop knocking on my fecking front door please? I already have the books. They are keeping the fire handy.
There's never enough churches where I am, within about 2 miles of where I live there's at least 50 and probably more,and I ain't in the bible belt, to be fair they don't come around door knocking so I'm guessing there's no Jehovah's around here, but feck me, Sunday morning ain't a time to have a drive around if you wanna gey somewhere!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There's never enough churches where I am, within about 2 miles of where I live there's at least 50 and probably more,and I ain't in the bible belt, to be fair they don't come around door knocking so I'm guessing there's no Jehovah's around here, but feck me, Sunday morning ain't a time to have a drive around if you wanna gey somewhere!
What days do you usually gey?