Religion, what's the point?

ChaddyP

Christmas eve at the in laws. A nice night, bar the traditional Bible reading. But, I can live with that. Pre-dinner prayer... I had to be the one who delivered it. Don't ask me why. Now, it went ok. Cliches can bring a person far and my prayers usually seem pretty sincere. Little do they know.

So, what's the problem? Tonight I discovered we have to feckin get up at the godforsaken hour of 6am to be in church at 7 :mad:.

W. T. F.

Who goes to church at 7 in the unholy am?

I'm fighting to avoid conflict. I don't want to upset these innocent souls, but it's hard. I've decided to pretend, but how long before I fall off this tightrope? Self-control brothers.

Amen.
Im a huge athiest and my inlaws are devout seventh day Adventist (the worst kind) . I understand your pain but there is no love in the world that could make me get up on Christmas morning to go to a church :lol: .I would rather be cast into a pit of fire and brimstone

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Forgive me for looking at the details but isn't it generally accepted that Jesus was NOT actually born on 25 December but that date is used symbolically as his birth?

Edit: quick Google :
https://www.newsweek.com/december-25-really-day-jesus-was-born-what-bible-says-1270667

So the pastor in the video is correct that Santa does not exist (although St Nick was probably a real person). But he's wildly off about Jesus's birth date. He should be telling his mall flock "Happy Winter Solstice!". :wenger:

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Not pointing fingers but my mate in China finds lots of European stuff in the etc area of museums.

The local stuff is great he finds, at a place of premium as you would expect, plus depictions of Alexander. Strange as f right? So it's apparently depictions of him made on objects from Chinese land,even coins (though I'm not sure if true).

What does this have to do with religion? A lot actually. Not with the magic part, but with the character that was so respected and influential, that religions might have taken some points from.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Forgive me for looking at the details but isn't it generally accepted that Jesus was NOT actually born on 25 December but that date is used symbolically as his birth?

Edit: quick Google :
https://www.newsweek.com/december-25-really-day-jesus-was-born-what-bible-says-1270667

So the pastor in the video is correct that Santa does not exist (although St Nick was probably a real person). But he's wildly off about Jesus's birth date. He should be telling his mall flock "Happy Winter Solstice!". :wenger:
100%

Eplel

I think that Xmas is celebrated on 25th of December because it is exactly 9 months after the orthodox celebration of virgin mary getting knocked up by the flower on the 25th of March.

Withnail

Christmas eve at the in laws. A nice night, bar the traditional Bible reading. But, I can live with that. Pre-dinner prayer... I had to be the one who delivered it. Don't ask me why. Now, it went ok. Cliches can bring a person far and my prayers usually seem pretty sincere. Little do they know.

So, what's the problem? Tonight I discovered we have to feckin get up at the godforsaken hour of 6am to be in church at 7 :mad:.

W. T. F.

I'm fighting to avoid conflict. I don't want to upset these innocent souls, but it's hard. I've decided to pretend, but how long before I fall off this tightrope? Self-control brothers.

Amen.
I could never!

I'm all for live and let live but I'm not saying prayers or going to church especially now at 7am. You said you've given up talking to them but this seems like they think you believe in God?

Withnail

I think that Xmas is celebrated on 25th of December because it is exactly 9 months after the orthodox celebration of virgin mary getting knocked up by the flower on the 25th of March.
It's not that at all. All of the major seasonal Christian festivals just so happen to be at the exact same time as the older Pagan festivals. It's almost as if they've changed all of the dates in Jesus' life to coincide with and usurp the existing Pagan festivals so that it would be easier to convert people, but nobody would be that cynical now would they?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's not that at all. All of the major seasonal Christian festivals just so happen to be at the exact same time as the older Pagan festivals. It's almost as if they've changed all of the dates in Jesus' life to coincide with and usurp the existing Pagan festivals so that it would be easier to convert people, but nobody would be that cynical now would they?
Are you all saying that if we went back to using the 25th Dec for Pagan festivities and jumping over the fire with no clothes on, and sacrificing virgins and drinking their blood etc, then you'd be happy?

Sounds ok-ish actually.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I could never!

I'm all for live and let live but I'm not saying prayers or going to church especially now at 7am. You said you've given up talking to them but this seems like they think you believe in God?
Oh yes. They certainly do. My wife's fam are beyond devout Christians. My wife too, but she is much more relaxed about it. She doesn't go to church, you know the type. BUT, before we got married she emphasized that she would only marry someone who also believed in god.

So, yes. I lied. And I am lying. It's the game I decided to play, cause I love her. Thing is... I hate the game and it's driving me insane.

Withnail

Are you all saying that if we went back to using the 25th Dec for Pagan festivities and jumping over the fire with no clothes on, and sacrificing virgins and drinking their blood etc, then you'd be happy?

Sounds ok-ish actually.
I think you've confused 'pagan' festivals with a horror movie you watched once.

Eriku

Oh yes. They certainly do. My wife's fam are beyond devout Christians. My wife too, but she is much more relaxed about it. She doesn't go to church, you know the type. BUT, before we got married she emphasized that she would only marry someone who also believed in god.

So, yes. I lied. And I am lying. It's the game I decided to play, cause I love her. Thing is... I hate the game and it's driving me insane.
:eek:

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think you've confused 'pagan' festivals with a horror movie you watched once.
How does anyone truly know what went on? This could be the time to interpret the programme, bring it up to date a bit.

I'm a big fan of Vikings and I seem to recall a visit to Uppsala that was pretty free and easy where the sacrificing was concerned. Alright, we could just say they're virgins, we don't have to be picky picky.

Withnail

Well I really don't know what to say. That's wild. I couldn't possibly fake it like that. I'd involuntarily blurt out something ungodly at some stage.

Withnail

How does anyone truly know what went on? This could be the time to interpret the programme, bring it up to date a bit.

I'm a big fan of Vikings and I seem to recall a visit to Uppsala that was pretty free and easy where the sacrificing was concerned. Alright, we could just say they're virgins, we don't have to be picky picky.
Our last interaction in this thread didn't go so well so I'm just going to leave it.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Our last interaction in this thread didn't go so well so I'm just going to leave it.
I don't recall but I'll take your word for it. Sometimes I forget how serious the CE is meant to be.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
We're not on the same wavelength and I don't see the humour in the nonsense you're posting but you're amusing yourself I suppose.
:) As you said, best not to continue. Happy Holidays.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It's all fun and memes until these far right christian militias start to take action on a large scale.

nimic

something nice
Scout

This seems... very unhealthy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

W. T. F.

Amen.
Sounds like you are well down a slippery slope.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It would be much cooler to watch a religious nutter realizing there is no God just after he died and was about to fall into the endless abyss of nothing happening after you die and wasting your one life by trying to appease some sort of malevolent MECHA Trump who will torture you for eternity unless you dedicate your life to him. Though it's also kind of sad, because religion is usually forced on someone by others. I doubt anyone just starts believing of their own accord.What is free will anyway.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

W. T. F.

Amen.
This read like a bad sitcom plot :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This seems... very unhealthy.
Not to me. Isn't marriage anyway filled with big and little lies? When I met her she was really religious, but over time I've shown her the way, without ever admitting that I don't believe in god. She now believes church is tradition and the Old Testament is just a bed time story. Also, she's my best friend and lover :) I don't want to steal her peace of mind.
Sounds like you are well down a slippery slope.
10 years and going strong buddy. I'm convinced we all have our little secrets.
This read like a bad sitcom plot :lol:
:lol: Can you feel my desperation? But, it's a happy and content sort of desperation.

Some minds cannot face reality without believing in a fairy tale. I say let them. Getting up at 6 ain't so bad.

united for life

W. T. F.

Amen.
george costanza?

Carolina Red

Staff

So… your entire marriage hinges on a massive lie. Nice.