g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Religion, what's the point?

Water Melon

So, yes. I lied. And I am lying. It's the game I decided to play, cause I love her. Thing is... I hate the game and it's driving me insane.
A problem, if any, is the bolded part. If you do really hate it and if it is indeed driving you insane, then it is a fundamental lie that tricked your wife into marrying you and you are now experiencing the consequences. However, I do hope that this is not something that has a significant negative impact on your daily family life, in which case, it is just an emotion of yours with regards to your own thought, which can be dealt with fairly easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
A problem, if any, is the bolded part. If you do really hate it and if it is indeed driving you insane, then it is a fundamental lie that tricked your wife into marrying you and you are now experiencing the consequences. However, I do hope that this is not something that has a significant negative impact on your daily family life, in which case, it is just an emotion of yours with regards to your own thought, which can be dealt with fairly easily.
You're absolutely right here. It doesn't affect my family, just myself deep down. And it's only insane during Christmas ;)

I guess it was a fundamental lie and indeed a trick, but we're all still really happy.

Water Melon

You're absolutely right here. It doesn't affect my family, just myself deep down. And it's only insane during Christmas ;)

I guess it was a fundamental lie and indeed a trick, but we're all still really happy.
Good to know mate. I am sure you made the right choice and wish you all the very best in your family life. As for Christmas, just enjoy festive time and do not think too much about origins of it. For many people, regardless of their beliefs, it is indeed a Merry Christmas time.

Withnail

There are certainly many parallels. Conviction. Illusion. It's best just to let it be, I guess. Aren't we all mad in any case?
I mean when it gets to the stage where someone firmly believes one super natural being is attacking them, this is a test and they're being 'crushed' to prove they're fidelity to another supernatural being it goes a little bit beyond 'let it be' for me. It's not a healthy mindset to have and it's based on pure fantasy.

In the last video that women is putting herself under stress which we know is a killer. If religion makes one's life better than have it at it, as delusional as I think it is, but when it's manifested like this it seems to me it's dangerous to a person's health.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I mean when it gets to the stage where someone firmly believes one super natural being is attacking them, this is a test and they're being 'crushed' to prove they're fidelity to another supernatural being it goes a little bit beyond 'let it be' for me. It's not a healthy mindset to have and it's based on pure fantasy.

In the last video that women is putting herself under stress which we know is a killer. If religion makes one's life better than have it at it, as delusional as I think it is, but when it's manifested like this it seems to me it's dangerous to a person's health.
Look at that woman, Withnail. She's gone through some serious shit. If her delusion in grapes helps her get through it, then it can't be all bad.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Grapes eh? This is more serious than I thought.
Haven't you heard of the father, the son, and the holey grape?

Seriously though, some minds just gravitate towards faith. And some of these go all out. Do they commit a crime against humanity? No. Let them believe. No skin off your back (unless you're into self flagellation).

People who see the world for what it really is should just let the "blind" be; in the firm knowledge that we're actually all blind.

Last edited:

Withnail

Haven't you heard of the father, the son, and the holey grape?

Seriously though, some minds just gravitate towards faith. And some of these go all out. Do they commit a crime against humanity? No. Let them believe. No skin off your back (unless you're into self flagellation).

People who see the world for what it really is should just let the "blind" be; in the firm knowledge that we're actually all blind.
You're completely ignoring my point about stress and this isn't about live and let live. My initial point was sightly tongue in cheek but the more I think about it the more concerning it is that there are people with the mindset of that woman in the video. Who's feeding them this stuff? Putting yourself under constant stress, such as by believing you're constantly under attack by an unseen force, will kill you.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You're completely ignoring my point about stress and this isn't about live and let live. My initial point was sightly tongue in cheek but the more I think about it the more concerning it is that there are people with the mindset of that woman in the video. Who's feeding them this stuff? Putting yourself under constant stress, such as by believing you're constantly under attack by an unseen force, will kill you.
No, I didn't miss your point.

This woman is not under stress due to her religion, according to me. Something in her life is stressing her out, which she projects onto the devil. This is what religion is all about. She finds strength in god.

My point is that her belief is helping her overcome her challenges.

Now, what do you suggest? Labeling her as mentally unwell due to her beliefs and stopping her from spreading what you believe as dangerous opinions, but what she and millions believe is hope?

Why? That is why I say let it be. You simply can't understand how this can be viewed as a positive message. Religion ain't for everyone.

Withnail

No, I didn't miss your point.

This woman is not under stress due to her religion, according to me. Something in her life is stressing her out, which she projects onto the devil. This is what religion is all about. She finds strength in god.

My point is that her belief is helping her overcome her challenges.

Now, what do you suggest? Labeling her as mentally unwell due to her beliefs and stopping her from spreading what you believe as dangerous opinions, but what she and millions believe is hope?

Why? That is why I say let it be. You simply can't understand how this can be viewed as a positive message. Religion ain't for everyone.
You're speaking generally about Religion in most cases and refusing to see my point about the specific case where some people truly believe or are taught the devil is out to get them. I'm not really sure why you're acting as if I'm having a go at religious moderates but happy to leave it there.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You're speaking generally about Religion in most cases and refusing to see my point about the specific case where some people truly believe or are taught the devil is out to get them. I'm not really sure why you're acting as if I'm having a go at religious moderates but happy to leave it there.
Are there religious moderates? I've never met a religious person who does not think the devil is after them.

So, let's call this, what we're having, a misunderstanding of experiences. I see your point at the end of the day. Religion is akin to mass insanity.

Withnail

Are there religious moderates? I've never met a religious person who does not think the devil is after them.

So, let's call this, what we're having, a misunderstanding of experiences. I see your point at the end of the day. Religion is akin to mass insanity.
A different experience most likely. I'm based in Ireland. My Grandmother was very religious, went to mass everyday, always looked for the good in people but she never once see mentioned the devil as far as I can recall. I only ever heard this temptation stuff the odd time from priests but didn't get the impression lay people took it all too seriously apart from trying to be a good person and recognising that we all have our faults and slip-ups. It's not really something we put a lot of store in over here, I don't think but then I don't know many religious people anymore.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
A different experience most likely. I'm based in Ireland. My Grandmother was very religious, went to mass everyday, always looked for the good in people but she never once see mentioned the devil as far as I can recall. I only ever heard this temptation stuff the odd time from priests but didn't get the impression lay people took it all too seriously apart from trying to be a good person and recognising that we all have our faults and slip-ups. It's not really something we put a lot of store in over here, I don't think but then I don't know many religious people anymore.
I used to be religious and god, the devil is a bastard. He's ALWAYS out to get us. See, he wants to win the battle of souls. And, get this, he targets those close to god. Probably because they count double.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a public school in Washington state. Hopefully it’s not…