Religion, what's the point?

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
What was my mask? I despise religion not for the ideas but for what it does to people, for how it affects real life. There are few examples of how toxic religion can be then what it does to women.
A woman can wear what she wants, full burka or enny weeny spotted bikini

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What? I see the "custom" of having women dressed in black bags (and enforcing this and punishing if not) as one of the most misogynistic expressions of our time.
No see you see its super progressive and liberal that women cover up every part of her body in order for men to control their powerful and sexual impulses.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What was my mask? I despise religion not for the ideas but for what it does to people, for how it affects real life. There are few examples of how toxic religion can be then what it does to women.
Of course, your post there was all about the impact of religion on that woman ;).

Gehrman

Surely it's a choice
In some countries yes in others no. In terms of being punished or ostracised by your community, id say its not as much as far free choice as it could be. Including religious indoctrination from a young age.

Peter van der Gea

In some countries yes in others no. In terms of being punished or ostracised by your community, id say its not as much as far free choice as it could be. Including religious indoctrination from a young age.
Everyone lives in communities and deal with community pressure, and everyone is indoctrinated in some way as a child.

My opinion is, after someone becomes an adult, with whatever community pressures they have, they should choose how they look

jackal&hyde

A woman taking control of who views her body is power
Yes. If she is the one that makes that decision. If others make it for her, then is cultural enslavement. This is what happens in Islam and in some dedicated Christian circles. It's not a choice, it's an expectation.

Withnail

Yes. If she is the one that makes that decision. If others make it for her, then is cultural enslavement. This is what happens in Islam and in some dedicated Christian circles. It's not a choice, it's an expectation.
And you calling her a ninja and bringing Hamas into it for no reason wasn't racist or Islamophobic because...?

Gehrman

Everyone lives in communities and deal with community pressure, and everyone is indoctrinated in some way as a child.

My opinion is, after someone becomes an adult, with whatever community pressures they have, they should choose how they look
People are really not exposed to community pressure or religious indoctrination to the same degree unless you live in la la land

jackal&hyde

And you calling her a ninja and bringing Hamas into it for no reason wasn't racist or Islamophobic because...?
Before I answer I do want you to set on an accusation because you can not be with race or maybe religion or with what sticks type of argument. Are you accursing me of racism or islamophobia?

Withnail

Before I answer I do want you to set on an accusation because you can not be with race or maybe religion or with what sticks type of argument. Are you accursing me of racism or islamophobia?
Yes let's split hairs. Islamophobia is a form of racism. I gave you the 'or' because I'd seen you were pedantic about the nuances between the two.

You were being a twat and I don't care what your justification is tbh. It was a rhetorical question.

Also claiming to stand up for women's rights after a post like that is baffling.

Gehrman

Yes let's split hairs. Islamophobia is a form of racism. I gave you the 'or' because I'd seen you were pedantic about the nuances between the two.

You were being a twat and I don't care what your justification is tbh. It was a rhetorical question.

Also claiming to stand up for women's rights after a post like that is baffling.
Islam isnt a race or muslims. Or can't many modern Indians be (by the definition) be islamophobes despite having a similar ethnicity?

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Yes let's split hairs. Islamophobia is a form of racism.
No, racism is to have irrational hate for a people based on race. Islam is not a race, it is an idea, a religion, a philosophy. I can say feck islam while it's not directed to a race of people just as I can say feck white people and it not being directed to christiany. Race is one, religion is another.
I gave you the 'or' because I'd seen you were pedantic about the nuances between the two.

One of my main points for women rights is to be against religion. It is not even questionable that most religions view women as inferior humans. Religious can hide behind "they want this" or "they are reserved" or any such nonsense that man will create to explain the subjugation of women.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Islam isnt a race or muslims. Or do can't modern many Indians be (by the definition) be islamophobes despite having a similar ethnicity?
No it isn't a race. Yes, people can have an irrational hatred of a group of Muslims. Yes, there should be a term for people who have this or who enact violence against people purely because they're Muslims, as much as some people want to contort themselves to say otherwise. Yes Indians can be (and often are) racist, usually more so than white people in my experience.

No, that poster was not making that previous post out of concern for women rights, as he is now trying to claim after the mask is now back on. Yes they are now likely happy that the conversation is on this, as opposed to the utterly ridiculous way they phrased their post, which, again, had nothing to do with concern for that woman or indeed others (and indeed barely referenced her beyond referring to her demeaningly as a ninja).

Gehrman

No, racism is to have irrational hate for a people based on race. Islam is not a race, it is an idea, a religion, a philosophy. I can say feck islam while it's not directed to a race of people just as I can say feck white people and it not being directed to christiany. Race is one, religion is another.

One of my main points for women rights is to be against religion. It is not even questionable that most religions view women as inferior humans. Religious can hide behind "they want this" or "they are reserved" or any such nonsense that man will create to explain the subjugation of women.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Out of interest, if I (a Non-Muslim) went out now and beat up a woman purely because she was wearing a hijab, what would that make me? What term would you sue to describe the underlying motivation for my actions?

Gehrman

Out of interest, if I (a Non-Muslim) went out now and beat up a woman purely because she was wearing a hijab, what would that make me? What term would you sue to describe the underlying motivation for my actions?
Well probably an anti-muslim or lets use the word islamophobe. Its still not racial hatred. I still don't see why anti muslim wouldn't suffice

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well probably an anti-muslim or lets use the word islamophobe. Its still not racial hatred. I still don't see why anti muslim wouldn't suffice
I agree its not race hatred. But then why are you posting a video from Hitchens railing against the use of the word Islamophobia at all?

Gehrman

I agree its not race hatred. But then why are you posting a video from Hitchens railing against the use of the word Islamophobia at all?
Because he uses it as an example of a smokescreen to protect a religion from critism by making the accusation of race hatred.

jackal&hyde

He is correct in the sense that not just stupid ideas will be pushed, but that it will become a war of stupid ideas, like we see today. He wanted the left to stop it, yeah, he wanted the left to be about science and reason. It is lost IMO. The choice is now to avoid the far right if one is rational and little else. The moral equivalence of forcing women by culture to be inferior and feminism, is already there.

Today you will have people on the same side that think that gay people should be able to get married and also that they are an abomination (by the description of the religions that they protect) Islam hates gays in case it wasn't clear.

The left and the reality of today is a I love you, but I hate you. I respect women, but islam.

Why would a monster like trump ever have the chance to get in power? Can it be because of how disjointed and morally ambiguous things look? can it be because the alternative is just as morally broken and people are thinking: F you!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Because he uses it as an example of a smokescreen to protect a religion from critism by making the accusation of race hatred.
But he goes further to say that Islamohpbia should not be used at all? But then you've just said that you would use the term to describe me if I decided to beat up a woman cos of her hijab. So which is it?

The entire framing of the conversation has moved on from the fact the poster called her a ninja (and then pretended his concern is actually the women affected within Islam), insinuated that any Pro Palestine march is a pro Hamas march, filled with such ninjas and that if she were to be attending such a march, undoubtedly killing Gays as she glorified Hamas along with tens of thousands of others, the lefties would undoubtedly paint her as a good and rational person fighting oppression.

If you want to get into my personal view, I agree that some people hide behind the term to quieten down discussion on some of the genuine problems presented by Islam, or indeed some of the views of its adherents today. There is also no doubt in my mind that people like Hitchens (and others on here) hide behind this to articulate their genuinely bigoted views about Muslims, often latching on with glee if someone brings race into it, so they can shift the conversation away entirely to nuances on the term islamophobia.

Withnail

You have no idea what racism is to be perfectly honest. If you think it's only blind hatred then you won't see a huge amount of racism around you or within you.

Calling her a ninja for wearing the burka and invoking Hamas, for no apparent reason, while somehow championing women's rights is really something. You also don't seem to be allowing this woman, who you know nothing about, any agency. You're really not as enlightened as you seem to think you are.

Gehrman

But he goes further to say that Islamohpbia should not be used at all? But then you've just said that you would use the term to describe me if I decided to beat up a woman cos of her hijab. So which is it?

The entire framing of the conversation has moved on from the fact the poster called her a ninja (and then pretended his concern is actually the women affected within Islam), insinuated that any Pro Palestine march is a pro Hamas march, filled with such ninjas and that if she were to be attending such a march, undoubtedly killing Gays as she glorified Hamas along with tens of thousands of others, the lefties would undoubtedly paint her as a good and rational person fighting oppression.

If you want to get into my personal view, I agree that some people hide behind the term to quieten down discussion on some of the genuine problems presented by Islam, or indeed some of the views of its adherents today. There is also no doubt in my mind that people like Hitchens (and others on here) hide behind this to articulate their genuinely bigoted views about Muslims, often latching on with glee if someone brings race into it, so they can shift the conversation away entirely to nuances on the term islamophobia.
Because i believe the point was that Hitchens opposes how the word Islamophobia was introduced and intermingled with an accusation of racism or how you can only be opposed and critical of Islam if you're an irrational dimwitted bigot. But beyond that the word has become so mainstream, caught on and loosely used that its often a hollow term. However im fine with someone being labelled an Islamophobe or simply someone comitting anti muslim violence against someone for the crime of wearing a hijab, but in most cases its simply label being thrown at all people who critize or dislike Islam for a multitude of different reasons.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Because i believe the point was that Hitchens opposes how the word Islamophobia was introduced and intermingled with an accusation of racism or how you can only be opposed and critical of Islam if you're an irrational dinwitted bigot. But beyond that the word has become so mainstream, caught on and loosely used that its often a hollow term. However im fine with someone being labelled an Islamophobe or simply someone comitting anti muslim violence for the crime of wearing a hijab, but it most cases its simply label being thrown at all people who critize or dislike Islam for a multitude of different reasons.
It’s a perfectly legitimate term since there are obviously people who discriminate against Muslims solely because of their religion - which is a hate crime (at least in the US). All of this is of course very different than criticism of religion from atheists because it’s all fake and promotes absurd and discriminatory practices (mysoginy, homophobia etc.)

Peter van der Gea

If you watch the video, she seems to be happy to be covered.

The thing is, wearing certain clothes is a statement. Literally the whole reason that GurSikhs wear turbans, is to stand out.

I wear a turban when I feel I need the extra symbol to myself to behave correctly

Peter van der Gea

People are really not exposed to community pressure or religious indoctrination to the same degree unless you live in la la land
Do you want to do the "Western" ideology?

Everything IKEA, the perfect rug, perfect crockery that has bubbles in to show its hand made

jackal&hyde

If you watch the video, she seems to be happy to be covered.

The thing is, wearing certain clothes is a statement. Literally the whole reason that GurSikhs wear turbans, is to stand out.

I wear a turban when I feel I need the extra symbol to myself to behave correctly
My friend the issue is not with the one that dresses' correct is happy; but what happens to the ones that refuse the code. Or if they even have the choice.

Peter van der Gea

My friend the issue is not with the one that dresses' correct is happy; but what happens to the ones that refuse the code. Or if they even have the choice.
Dude, I'm a Sikh who cut my hair at 22.ive been through all of that comunity pressure. You have a choice, but it is very different from the community, any club has rules and jxgkh

jackal&hyde

Dude, I'm a Sikh who cut my hair at 22.ive been through all of that comunity pressure. You have a choice, but it is very different from the community, any club has rules and jxgkh
As a boy my brother. How is it for a girl? Does she have the same freedom or at least acceptance as you? You know she does not

frostbite

Denmark passes law to ban Koran burnings.
As an atheist, I find this disturbing, why would anyone be banned from burning a silly book, full of lies?