Music Remixes or covers better than the original songs

Giggsyking

I was listening to a remix to a known song and I thought this is better than the original one (personally).
I know it is different from one to other how they percept the same music, but but from your personal taste of music, do you have examples of remixes or covers that is even better than the original cover?

Jev

Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah and Hendrix’s All Along the Watchtower. Also kind of like Marilyn Manson’s covers of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love.

Spark

Not my favourite Strokes tune, also not a country fan. But always thought this was better than the original.

led_scholes

Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks

Vanilla Fudge - Keep me hanging on (depends on the mood really, since I quite prefer the original some times)

Run dmc - walk this way

Pickle85

Jose Gonzalez's Heartbeats. Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Always find it a bit interesting when the remix of the song is the actual version that everyone knows and not the original... like "Missing" (by Everything from the Girl) - the remix is the version that everybody knows.

Spark

Baltimore - Nina Simone.

Great thread, got me thinking about all the covers that are obviously better than their originals. The reverse is well known songs that are covers/remixes and the original is relatively unknown. Edit: missed the post directly above - didn't copy promise (ironic for the thread).

Like this (sort of):

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Always find it a bit interesting when the remix of the song is the actual version that everyone knows and not the original... like "Missing" (by Everything from the Girl) - the remix is the version that everybody knows.
Or Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah:

Other than that, the first song that comes to my mind is Pascal DJ's version of Love Will Tear Us Apart. It's an electronic cover in French that of course I can't find now. Sigh.

Edit: Found it: https://pascaldj.bandcamp.com/track/lamour-va-nous-d-chirer-encore.

Last edited:

Withnail

Some great shouts in here except for @Moby's god that's awful.

I'd add Sinead's Nothing Compares to you (surprised that wasn't already mentioned) and Joe Cocker 'With a little help from my friends'

Pickle85

I like it but Bowie's original is far better.
Yeah, thought that one was likely to get some pushback. The Nirvana version is probably more tied to what it meant to me at a particular time in my life than an objective 'it's a better song'.

Withnail

Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah and Hendrix’s All Along the Watchtower. Also kind of like Marilyn Manson’s covers of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love.
I'd agree with that. I was very surprised when I realised Soft cell's Tainted Love was a cover. I quite like the original.

onemanarmy

The Clash - I fought the law
Nirvana - Something in the way

and the other way around, Diane by Hüsker Dü is so much better than the cover by Therapy? Or the original "That's when I reach for my revolver" by Mission of Burma.

Withnail

Came to post this. Same lyrics as the original but completely different song.
Well not exactly the same lyrics. Johnny Cash refused to say 'crown of shit'. He changed it to 'I wear this crown of thorns' and introduces a religious element and contributes to the change of tone as there is a lot of meaning behind that image, I feel.

I prefer the originally personally but I would have listened to it 100s of times before Cash recorded it.