Reparations discussion

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Did you miss the first sentence of adexkola’s post?
No. I’m talking about his comment about the 1865 solution. That remedy is ONLY due to slavery, while it can be argued that those affected by the Reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation, mass incarceration, and labor discrimination are a superset of those affected by slavery. Obviously it didn’t account for what happened after

Probably more important, look closely at what was offered: “40 acres and mule”. This isn’t cash compensation or a lump sum. It’s land (which is #1 determiner of wealth throughout history) and the means of production (the mule), which we can all agree is more analogous to infrastructure than a cash bonus (ie. the benefits are achieved in the long run).

Let’s be realistic, what percentage of the average black person’s lifetime income will these reparations be responsible for? What will be LONG TERM effects of wage inequality?

Based on what I know I would guess, small and insignificant for both of those questions

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Which is why in 1865 the remedy proposed wasn't "fix the slave quarters" (which is kind of what you're proposing), it was "40 acres and a mule". Fixing the infrastructure does not address the wealth gap between white Americans and black Americans.
I don't agree with this. Slaves at that time were firstly slaves and secondly had no material assets. So fixing their quarters would fix one (the less pressing) problem.
Today (as the main consequence of slavery), the lack of material assets remains. So addressing that - by targeted funding for schooling, healthcare, (especially) housing*, and infrastructure - does address the fundamental issue in a way it didn't at that time.

*the difference between white and black median wealth can largely be explained by homeownership.

Carolina Red

Staff
No. I’m talking about his comment about the 1865 solution. That remedy is ONLY due to slavery, while it can be argued that those affected by the Reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation, mass incarceration, and labor discrimination are a superset of those affected by slavery. Obviously it didn’t account for what happened after
You really need to go back through this thread and actually read what @adexkola has posted.
Probably more important, look closely at what was offered: “40 acres and mule”. This isn’t cash compensation or a lump sum. It’s land (which is #1 determiner of wealth throughout history) and the means of production (the mule), which we can all agree is more analogous to infrastructure than a cash bonus (ie. the benefits are achieved in the long run).
No, we can’t, and I for one do not. It was a way to give them what they could have purchased had they been paid for their labor. Seeing as how the federal government had much more land to parcel out after the largest war in American history than it had money, the proposed solution made sense.

You are also ignoring the fact that the federal government after the Civil War also attempted to set up the Freedman’s Bureau in addition to the proposed 40 acres + mule solution.
Let’s be realistic, what percentage of the average black person’s lifetime income will these reparations be responsible for? What will be LONG TERM effects of wage inequality?

Based on what I know I would guess, small and insignificant for both of those questions
Let’s be realistic...
1) what does it matter what percentage it will be?

2) you think the effects of wage inequality will be insignificant? Oh dear...

Carolina Red

Staff
Today (as the main consequence of slavery), the lack of material assets remains. So addressing that - by targeted funding for schooling, healthcare, (especially) housing*, and infrastructure - does address the fundamental issue in a way it didn't at that time.
There was a proposal for this, the Freedman’s Bureau, but it was politically torpedoed by racist politicians and sabotaged by the Klan.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't agree with this. Slaves at that time were firstly slaves and secondly had no material assets. So fixing their quarters would fix one (the less pressing) problem.

*the difference between white and black median wealth can largely be explained by homeownership.
Yes. Guess which demographic got a HUGE helping hand with regards to homeownership after WW2, and flipped that gift into equity that mostly drives that difference? Guess which demographic got shut out of that?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes. Guess which demographic got a HUGE helping hand with regards to homeownership after WW2, and flipped that gift into equity that mostly drives that difference? Guess which demographic got shut out of that?
Exactly.

I’m telling you, if you have Netflix, watch the Vox Explained series documentary about this. “The Racial Wealth Gap” - episode 1 from May 2018.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
wouldnt it be easier if you just told us? information should be shared and taught instead of toyed with like some at carnival show. like if you agree

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You really need to go back through this thread and actually read what @adexkola has posted.

No, we can’t, and I for one do not. It was a way to give them what they could have purchased had they been paid for their labor. Seeing as how the federal government had much more land to parcel out after the largest war in American history than it had money, the proposed solution made sense.

You are also ignoring the fact that the federal government after the Civil War also attempted to set up the Freedman’s Bureau in addition to the proposed 40 acres + mule solution.
None of these things are the same as giving out cash payments, reparations, which is what we are talking about. Even if the federal government had a policy of handing out cash payments to former slaves I would prefer if the slaves are awarded the equivalent amount in land and cattle.

Let’s be realistic...
1) what does it matter what percentage it will be?

2) you think the effects of wage inequality will be insignificant? Oh dear...
1) It matters b/c a) if the percentage is low relative to what they expect, it won't have large impact on their quality of life b) the percentage is low, they are less likely to save/invest, which what builds wealth
2) In the long run, yes. It might boost non-labor(wage) income but you aren't going to see any noticeable change in the wage gap. All the other factors that influence wages will still exist. Like I said before, its a glorified income tax check.

Carolina Red

Staff
None of these things are the same as giving out cash payments, reparations, which is what we are talking about. Even if the federal government had a policy of handing out cash payments to former slaves I would prefer if the slaves are awarded the equivalent amount in land and cattle.
I’ve already explained the rationale behind the government’s decision making at the time. Also, the freedmen could have sold the damn 40 acres if they wanted to, had it been given to them, and got the cash instead.

Also, I mention the Freedmen’s Bureau because it shows that reparations weren’t originally seen as an either/or thing. They were going to offer freedmen a way to gain wealth AND education/medicine/etc. at the same time.
1) It matters b/c a) if the percentage is low relative to what they expect, it won't have large impact on their quality of life b) the percentage is low, they are less likely to save/invest, which what builds wealth
2) In the long run, yes. It might boost non-labor(wage) income but you aren't going to see any noticeable change in the wage gap. All the other factors that influence wages will still exist. Like I said before, its a glorified income tax check.
You realize that the estimated average income for a person over their working life is something like $1.5 million?

If we repay the descendants of slaves for their back pay...

Also, consider this...
$97,100,000,000,000: Estimated value of the labor performed by black slaves in America between 1619 and 1865, compounded at 6 percent interest through 1993.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I bet this also relates to red lining or red taping.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I’ve already explained the rationale behind the government’s decision making at the time. Also, the freedmen could have sold the damn 40 acres if they wanted to, had it been given to them, and got the cash instead.

Also, I mention the Freedmen’s Bureau because it shows that reparations weren’t originally seen as an either/or thing. They were going to offer freedmen a way to gain wealth AND education/medicine/etc. at the same time.
It's not going to happen at the same time. No federal government is going to shell out reparations AND heavily invest in the things I outlined, regardless of the history. These things are natural trade-offs.

If your argument is decendants of former slaves deserve compensation that is fine and I can agree, but if your argument is the best way to compensate them is through a cash grant, I vehemently disagree. If you think it should be 50-50 I still disagree but less so.

You realize that the estimated average income for a person over their working life is something like $1.5 million?

Also, consider this...
$97,100,000,000,000: Estimated value of the labor performed by black slaves in America between 1619 and 1865, compounded at 6 percent interest through 1993.
I thought we were being realistic? The federal government is not going to shell out $21M to each black person, so that number is damning against slavery but irrelevant when we are discussing real solutions.

For the sake of argument, imagine we took 20% of defense spending (which we would probably agree is too high even though this would probably never happen) and used it for reparations. The is amount is roughly $128B. Every black American would receive around $28k. Let's assume the government pays it over 4 years at $7k. This would increase their GDP for a 4 year period from $20k to $27. Still behind whites and Asians and most immigrant groups. They would be on par with Nigerians, but for only 4 years. Now in that 4 years, if the level of saving/investment by the black community doesn't increase by a significant enough factor. The long term economic benefits will be minimal, which is my main point. I'd rather put the money directly in to subsidies for education, learning skills, and infrastructure than a short-term cash grant.

Carolina Red

Staff
The federal government is not going to shell out $21M to each black person
I never said that. I said the back pay owed could be said to be $1.5 million per slave if you go by the current estimated earnings over a lifetime.

I was just pointing out that as large as that payout number would be, it is significantly smaller than the value they actually produced.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thread has taken a weird turn...

Also, consider this...

Just something for a theoretical argument:

Most jobs done by slaves were in farming (cotton, coffee, sugarcane plantations etc) and household sectors. Earliest cotton picking machines were rolled out as early as 1949. I presume by 1960s most of slave jobs in farming would have been made redundant. Hypothetically speaking, the problems of job loss due to automation that we face now would have made slavery (or at least a big chunk of it) redundant anyway just after WW2.

Carolina Red

Staff
Thread has taken a weird turn...

Just something for a theoretical argument:

Most jobs done by slaves were in farming (cotton, coffee, sugarcane plantations etc) and household sectors. Earliest cotton picking machines were rolled out as early as 1949. I presume by 1960s most of slave jobs in farming would have been made redundant. Hypothetically speaking, the problems of job loss due to automation that we face now would have made slavery (or at least a big chunk of it) redundant anyway just after WW2.
Bud, agricultural chattel slavery was made redundant in the 1880s when Brazil finally abolished it.

What that has to do with anything I posted, I don’t know.

Florida Man

I never said that. I said the back pay owed could be said to be $1.5 million per slave if you go by the current estimated earnings over a lifetime.

I was just pointing out that as large as that payout number would be, it is significantly smaller than the value they actually produced.
If only for the social observation, I’d love to see that happen.

Sweet Square

If only for the social observation, I’d love to see that happen.
Nothing much would change. The only difference we would see is a massive hike in prices for health insurance, rent, mortgage payments, car insurance, etc for black Americans.

Any sort of cash payments for reparations will be useless in a America without free healthcare, free child care, mass public housing and so on.

Florida Man

Nothing much would change. The only difference we would see is a massive hike in prices for health insurance, rent, mortgage payments, car insurance, etc for black Americans.

Any sort of cash payments for reparations will be useless in a America without free healthcare, free child care, mass public housing and so on.
I was thinking in terms of the kinds of outrageous things that would be bought and the reactions/tears of racists and anyone who has huge issues with reparations.

adexkola

Supports
We aren't living in 1865 and that is a weird analogy given present day conditions. To focus, only on slavery ignores the 150+ years of racial discrimination and systematic racism that has had, IMO an equally devasting effect on black Americans (i.e. I would argue the prison industrial complex in the US is just as sinister as slavery)
I'm glad we agree then. Because I've been screaming this all thread.

You vastly underestimate how nearly impossible it is to do the bolded with out education, skills, or infrastructure.
I don't think it's an either/or situation. Isn't it shameful that it took a thread on reparations for people to realize, "they need good education and infrastructure"? That is the responsibility of every government to all of it's citizens. Regardless of whether the citizens have been structurally shafted by their government in the past.

The question is "how do we compensate for over 300 years of wealth stripping from African Americans, both slaves and second class citizens"? The answer is not "give them good education and infrastructure", because they are owed that already, just by existing as citizens. Which is a trap you and others are easily falling into. You don't steal $3-15 trillion from a segment of the population and then just "give them good education".

I'm sorry but I think you're wrong on this.
- 1Education is strongly correlated with wealth
- There have been studies that have shown a link between wealth inequality and skilled labor.
- 2Infrastructure investment increases productivity which should have a positive effect on economic growth

There is lots of economic data on the above:
1Relationship between education/wealth
2Relationship between infrastructure and productivity (pg 9)
Saving behavior by age/race (pg 19 starts the graphs)
Education gap/ race
Labor force statistics by race

As an aside, since it seems like you honestly care, read this short paper:
http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/images/nbhds_exec_summary.pdf

The above is pretty sobering.

EDIT: some of my citations were incorrectly labeled
That is all well and good. I don't even think I disagree with your data points, but you're just making the case for why everyone needs access to good education. But you can't tell me that just giving African Americans good education and infrastructure helps them close the gap on the equity that other privileged groups in this country built on their backs.

By the way, when infrastructure and education improvements happen in the ghettos, who benefits the most? It's not black people. It's the group of people that abandoned the cities in the 60s and 70s, and are now coming back with their equity, buying everything up and pushing black people out, both educated and non-educated. Fort Greene in Brooklyn today is totally different from how it was in 1990 when I was born. A lot of money was poured into it. It wasn't black people who profited from it though.

adexkola

Supports

Bolded makes no sense. Unless you think companies enmasse will engage in reverse redlining.

Regarding your last sentence, I don't see how cash payments are useless without those benefits, but for the sake of argument, let's say I agree with you. Then yeah, bring in free healthcare, child care and mass public housing, and also bring in reparations. Win win right?

Sweet Square

Bolded makes no sense. Unless you think companies enmasse will engage in reverse redlining.
Why wouldn't they ? There would be massive part of the American population who have just received a mass of cash.

. Then yeah, bring in free healthcare, child care and mass public housing, and also bring in reparations. Win win right?
As long as it was done by somewhat more left wing government which stopped the private sector for being involved than yeah it would be a win win.

I'm not against reperations at all. My worry is that unless done correctly then it won't be effective.

adexkola

Supports
Why wouldn't they ? There would be massive part of the American population who have just received a mass of cash.

As long as it was done by somewhat more left wing government which stopped the private sector for being involved than yeah it would be a win win.

I'm not against reperations at all. My worry is that unless done correctly then it won't be effective.
Because it's illegal :lol:

I agree that reparations would be more effective if you had all those other parts in place.

Sweet Square

Because it's illegal :lol:
And ? Its illegal to money laund from drug cartel but my bank did it (I image still does)all the time. Even then there's plenty of ways which they could do it legally. Slowly drain the money from people over the years.

Andrew~

This one of those rare issues I’m still open-minded about, I’ve heard arguments for and against that made sense but didn’t really convince me too much.

How would this work in practice?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm glad we agree then. Because I've been screaming this all thread.
My point was the 1865 solution isn't applicable.

I don't think it's an either/or situation. Isn't it shameful that it took a thread on reparations for people to realize, "they need good education and infrastructure"? That is the responsibility of every government to all of it's citizens. Regardless of whether the citizens have been structurally shafted by their government in the past.
Again the point is it's a responsibility not being carried out in communities with majority black American populations.

The question is "how do we compensate for over 300 years of wealth stripping from African Americans, both slaves and second class citizens"? The answer is not "give them good education and infrastructure", because they are owed that already, just by existing as citizens. Which is a trap you and others are easily falling into. You don't steal $3-15 trillion from a segment of the population and then just "give them good education".
The answer is not give them reparations. A decent portion of my friends are from the inner city. Most, if not all of the them, are very successful and would be in the top 25% of household income in America. What was a defining characteristic of all of them?

a) the all were in gifted in talented programs in their inner-city high schools or homeschooled
b) they all went to college (most received scholarships)

Most were poor. Many came from single parent homes. Many saw rampant crime around them and had family member continually locked up. Regardless, the thing that allowed them to vastly improve their quality of life was infrastructure/education.

You're actually the one falling into a trap by thinking reparations will have a long term effect on wealth, when black Americans literally significantly less educated and don't have the infrastructure to spur growth in their communities. What the point of giving someone wealth when they have no idea what to do with it (ie. personal finance, investing, 401ks, insurance, etc)? Every time I hear about reparations I think of the stats about the amount of lottery winners that go broke. People like to think money solves everything, especially with regards to the black American community, and it's further from the truth.

The problems in the black community are systematic.
I really can't repeat that enough. Even if reparations are handed out the system still exists and the system will drain their wealth (as it has done for the last 150 years)

That is all well and good. I don't even think I disagree with your data points, but you're just making the case for why everyone needs access to good education. But you can't tell me that just giving African Americans good education and infrastructure helps them close the gap on the equity that other privileged groups in this country built on their backs.
No, I'm making the case why specifically black people need all of these things and yes it will close the gap. Unless you want to ignore all of the economic data it's clear what would happen. The problem is that local, state, and federal governments don't want to pay for it/ think it's a bad investment.

By the way, when infrastructure and education improvements happen in the ghettos, who benefits the most? It's not black people. It's the group of people that abandoned the cities in the 60s and 70s, and are now coming back with their equity, buying everything up and pushing black people out, both educated and non-educated. Fort Greene in Brooklyn today is totally different from how it was in 1990 when I was born. A lot of money was poured into it. It wasn't black people who profited from it though.
You are talking about gentrification and that's a totally different issue.

Infrastructure and education improvements =/= gentrification. White Americans who live in gentrified areas usually send their kids to private schools and most of the initial infrastructure is built to cater to private companies (ie. high-end residential and commercial real estate companies). We are talking about two different things.

Maticmaker

As they say in the USA (so I'm told) "I don't have a dog in this fight". However it would seem to me that following on from the joke about a undergraduate who claimed he was studying American history and was asked "and so what do you do in the afternoons"?. It is obvious that the USA is still a relatively young country and the young often make mistakes, some very serious ones. In this case the treatment of Native Americans, the use of Slave Labour and still even today the country allows people (legitimately) armed to the teeth, to roam around it schools and malls shooting fellow citizens.

The USA still has a lot of 'growing up' to do and one of the consequences of growing up is taking responsibility for your mistakes and atoning for those mistakes where possible, but especially don't keep repeating the same mistakes!

Hope this question is solved amicably but recent history suggests it won't!

Florida Man

As they say in the USA (so I'm told) "I don't have a dog in this fight". However it would seem to me that following on from the joke about a undergraduate who claimed he was studying American history and was asked "and so what do you do in the afternoons"?. It is obvious that the USA is still a relatively young country and the young often make mistakes, some very serious ones. In this case the treatment of Native Americans, the use of Slave Labour and still even today the country allows people (legitimately) armed to the teeth, to roam around it schools and malls shooting fellow citizens.

The USA still has a lot of 'growing up' to do and one of the consequences of growing up is taking responsibility for your mistakes and atoning for those mistakes where possible, but especially don't keep repeating the same mistakes!

Hope this question is solved amicably but recent history suggests it won't!
The hardest lesson this country as a whole has yet to learn is the price of arrogance.

Sweet Square

Frantz Fanon

“I am a man and what I have to recapture is the whole past of the world, I am not responsible only for the slavery involved in Santo Domingo, every time man has contributed to the victory of the dignity of the spirit, every time a man has said no to an attempt to subjugate his fellows, I have felt solidarity with his act. In no way does my basic vocation have to be drawn from the past of peoples of color. In no way do I have to dedicate myself to reviving some black civilization unjustly ignored. I will not make myself the man of any past. My black skin is not a repository for specific values. Haven’t I got better things to do on this earth than avenge the blacks of the 17th century?

I as a man of color do not have the right to hope that in the white man there will be a crystallization of guilt towards the past of my race. I as a man of color do not have the right of stamping down the pride of my former master. I have neither the right nor the duty to demand reparations for my subjugated ancestors. There is no black mission. There is no white burden. I do not want to be victim to the rules of a black world. Am I going to ask this white man to answer for the slave traders of the 17th century? Am I going to try by every means available to cause guilt to burgeon in their souls? I am not a slave to slavery that dehumanized my ancestors. It would be of enormous interest to discover a black literature or architecture from the 3rd century B.C, we would be overjoyed to learn of the existence of a correspondence between some black philosopher and Plato, but we can absolutely not see how this fact would change the lives of 8 year old kids working the cane fields of Martinique or Guadeloupe. I find myself in the world and I recognize I have one right alone: of demanding human behavior from the other.”

adexkola

Supports

In passing, for those who still are under the impression that the idea of reparations is only linked to slavery. Hope I don't get beat up in the hood for this one

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

In passing, for those who still are under the impression that the idea of reparations is only linked to slavery. Hope I don't get beat up in the hood for this one
Are the British and French also ready to pay reparations for what they've done to North Africa, the subcontinent and other colonies?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
So Portugal, Spain and France should request reparations as well from the north African Muslims and why not from Italy (Romans) as well, that's a stupid idea, so about the descendants of white, Asians and blacks who moved to US after the end of slaves will have to pay reparations?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Records archived by researchers at University College London (UCL) show that one of Greene King’s founders, Benjamin Greene, held at least 231 human beings in slavery and became an enthusiastic supporter of the practice. When slavery was abolished in the British empire in 1833, the government agreed to pay compensation; not to the enslaved people, but to the slaveholders. The records show Greene was given the equivalent of about £500,000 at today’s rate when he surrendered rights to plantations in Montserrat and Saint Kitts. He handed over control of his brewery to his son three years later and it was given its current name after a merger in 1887. Several of Greene’s descendants went on to hold prominent positions in British society, including a Bank of England governor, Conservative MP and BBC director general.