Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY65

Besides Eriksen, I don’t think there is a huge gulf in class. Definitely not 5-1 at home.

Was it wise to give O’Neil a new contract before these matches?
O'Neill's contract hasn't been signed, I imagine his future will be discussed in the coming days (I generally think results under him have been OK even if the lack of tactics or training that former players speak of is worrying).

lem8sh

The only ray of light might be MON and his staff leaving. Highly doubt the FAI will pay him off however. Watch MON use the excuse that when he let them play second half look what happened.

Robertd0803

We don't need to play great football or a nice passing game but we have to at least attempt to win a game. The level of players is a shit excuse, the Danish players aren't any better bar Eriksen and it doesn't matter who we play. Be it Georgia or Cyprus, we are consistently dominated in midfield and played off the park. Its embarrassing from a group of PL players.
Damn right. The very rare great results like Euros v (already qualified) Italy and the home win v Germany are totally cancelled out by the rubbish we served up against Georgia away recently as an example.

Its not good when you score early and first and have no faith that we will hang on to the lead or even have any control over the game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
All my mates from where I grew up with were playing hurling with a club. All my mates I went to school with were playing hurling or gaelic football with clubs. I knew a couple playing rugby, with clubs. When we played football it was after school or on a friday night playing five aside. We were not part of a club because there was no clubs, like the GAA or rugby have. Football is probably the most played sport in Ireland but in terms of having clubs, it is behind the GAA and Rugby.

The Danes were miles better techincally than us. Our defenders just hoofed the ball upwards with every chance. The danish defenders were passing it around.

lem8sh

All my mates from where I grew up with were playing hurling with a club. All my mates I went to school with were playing hurling or gaelic football with clubs. I knew a couple playing rugby, with clubs. When we played football it was after school or on a friday night playing five aside. We were not part of a club because there was no clubs, like the GAA or rugby have. Football is probably the most played sport in Ireland but in terms of having clubs, it is behind the GAA and Rugby.

The Danes were miles better techincally than us. Our defenders just hoofed the ball upwards with every chance. The danish defenders were passing it around.
Having a proper national league is a big issue with regards technical ability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The only ray of light might be MON and his staff leaving. Highly doubt the FAI will pay him off however. Watch MON use the excuse that when he let them play second half look what happened.
As I said on the last page, O'Neill took this team to second in the group ahead of two teams with better players than us before losing over two legs to another team with better players than us. Off the back of qualifying us for the Euros in his first go around I don't see why the FAI would want him to leave at all.

Tonight was shite but results have generally been good under O'Neill. There's only so much you can do when your players aren't good enough.

Bojan11

I don’t think the early goal helped too in all honestly.

Ireland players seem to get carried away and that played into Danish hands. Should have used the same tactics he did the other day.

ZAGREB RED

Didn't see that coming, not often you see ROI thrashed like that. Masterclass from Eriksen, but the Irish players stood off Denmark all night and let them play. Sisto looked a handy player also. You normally associate ROI with hard work and dogged defending but they were an absolute shambles all night.
After going one up the Irish players looked a bit like rabbits caught in the headlights and really struggled to get going at all.

lem8sh

As I said on the last page, O'Neill took this team to second in the group ahead of two teams with better players than us before losing over two legs to another team with better players than us. Off the back of qualifying us for the Euros in his first go around I don't see why the FAI would want him to leave at all.

Tonight was shite but results have generally been good under O'Neill. There's only so much you can do when your players aren't good enough.
I'm a huge critic of him always have been. Just my opinion but I find him tactically ancient, rigid in his ways, unbelievably stubborn and find it unfathomable that no matter who we play be it the decent teams in our group or the Georgias of this world we constantly get played off the park. Our tactics are largely based on luck. He is incredibly negative.

lsd

The Oracle
O Neill has to go I don't care how good results may have been, the football is shocking , his tactics are prehistoric and his substitutions truly baffling.

Don't give me garbage we don't have the players to pass about and play football there are Premiership players out there who do that every week .

However they pulled on a green shirt and it's just hoof after hoof that's coming from the manager noone else .Hoof O Neill out the door and if Keane stands by those tactics him too

James Peril

O Neill has to go I don't care how good results may have been, the football is shocking , his tactics are prehistoric and his substitutions truly baffling.

Don't give me garbage we don't have the players to pass about and play football there are Premiership players out there who do that every week .

However they pulled on a green shirt and it's just hoof after hoof that's coming from the manager noone else .Hoof O Neill out the door and if Keane stands by those tactics him too
Or it can just be that the Irish team is terrible and have no godgiven right to be qualifying for a WC? You have like 6M people, which kind of dictates there will be huuuge differences in generations. Looking at the team tonight, or squad for that matter, and it’s easy to see there is nothing a single manager could have done to make this lot any better. You have no Eriksen, or Forsberg, or Robbie Keane for that matter. Certainly no Roy Keane, even though it’s great to see his sad mug in the stands.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
O Neill fudged it second half. But that was one of the most horrible individual displays we have seen since trappatoni days. Reminds me of euro 2012. O Neill has his shortcomings, but the players display was fecking deplorable

lsd

The Oracle
Or it can just be that the Irish team is terrible and have no godgiven right to be qualifying for a WC? You have like 6M people, which kind of dictates there will be huuuge differences in generations. Looking at the team tonight, or squad for that matter, and it’s easy to see there is nothing a single manager could have done to make this lot any better. You have no Eriksen, or Forsberg, or Robbie Keane for that matter. Certainly no Roy Keane, even though it’s great to see his sad mug in the stands.

That doesn't fly at all it's tactics pure and simple N.Ireland have three million people no world class players and they play good football .

Martin O Neill is a disaster too many crazy changes in personnel but always the same outdated tired tactics .Its pathetic to watch and there's no excuse to not even try and play football

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

Brady ineffective for some time. Hendrick not recaptured his form from euros. McClean quiet tonight - but I didn’t agree to have him on the right.

Worst defensive display in a long time. Ward, Christie (first half) and Clarke were garbage defensively.

O Neills major feck up after that was the subs. Shitshow on and off the pitch, but a lot was simple feck ups on the pitch. Gifted them 4 goals.

Not the strongest squad we have ever had. But that said, a lot should hang their head in shame tonight. Management as much as players, but players made very basic errors

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Less. About five million I would say and most people in ireland are playing GAA. Then you have rugby competing too with the soccer.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That doesn't fly at all it's tactics pure and simple N.Ireland have three million people no world class players and they play good football .

Martin O Neill is a disaster too many crazy changes in personnel but always the same outdated tired tactics .Its pathetic to watch and there's no excuse to not even try and play football
Where are you getting 3 million from?

NI has a population of 1.8m and almost half of that would declare for ROI instead. So it's more like 1m!

Nanotron

Tonight was shite but results have generally been good under O'Neill. There's only so much you can do when your players aren't good

Hahaha. And this is why we are the way we are. Small time, inhibibiting thinking bullshit.

Massive Spanner

Less. About five million I would say and most people in ireland are playing GAA. Then you have rugby competing too with the soccer.
Football is the most played sport in Ireland. I don't buy this shit that GAA is massively hindering us. Any kid good enough to play football will pick it over GAA.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Football is the most played sport in Ireland. I don't buy this shit that GAA is massively hindering us. Any kid good enough to play football will pick it over GAA.
Disagree and I am basing it on my own mates who played gaa, who would have been great soccer players too. The GAA comes first. The GAA goes right down to the fabric of the community. I have attended hundreds of GAA matches. I have gone to maybe twenty rugby matches. I have never gone to a league of ireland football match. Not one.

GAA is a huge draw for people who normally would play soccer.

lsd

The Oracle
Where are you getting 3 million from?

NI has a population of 1.8m and almost half of that would declare for ROI instead. So it's more like 1m!

Lol true point stands though if the two irelands played each The North would dick all over us .

Noone can tell me the likes of Hendrix,Arter and Brady can't pass the ball instead of hoofing it when they pass the ball every week for their clubs.

I know we don't have Roy Keane and Duff but we do have decent players who with a proper manager could play football

Massive Spanner

You'd swear the kids in Ireland are only allowed play Gaa from the talk in here. Every child/teenager plays both.
In rural Ireland there is much more funding for GAA and clubs also. It is definitely easier for young Irish people to get into GAA because of the infrastructure for it. However I do think I'd someone is good enough at football they will get identified.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The reality is that both the GAA and the rugby mop up a lot of players who would ordinarily play football if it were the only sport, like it is in most countries in the world.

Massive Spanner

Disagree and I am basing it on my own mates who played gaa, who would have been great soccer players too. The GAA comes first. The GAA goes right down to the fabric of the community. I have attended hundreds of GAA matches. I have gone to maybe twenty rugby matches. I have never gone to a league of ireland football match. Not one.

GAA is a huge draw for people who normally would play soccer.
It's not even up for debate. Nobody would pick a career in GAA over a career in soccer, and by career in soccer I mean if they're good enough to play in the UK and make the money. I don't think GAA inhibits the truly elite footballers we have, maybe the ones who could forge careers in league of Ireland, though

lem8sh

It's not even up for debate. Nobody would pick a career in GAA over a career in soccer, and by career in soccer I mean if they're good enough to play in the UK and make the money. I don't think GAA inhibits the truly elite footballers we have, maybe the ones who could forge careers in league of Ireland, though
Spot on.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Kevin Nolan, man of the match in the all Ireland football final 2012, turned down a contract at Leicester city as he wanted to play for Dublin.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The reality is that both the GAA and the rugby mop up a lot of players who would ordinarily play football if it were the only sport, like it is in most countries in the world.
Good point, mate. It’s like having a very small pick. Thought the RTE panel did well. Didn’t slag too hard. Team did their best. Good luck to Denmark.

cyberman

Most GAA clubs won't allow young players to play both sports. Its not as if the young players are at Utd youth sides making this choice, they're choosing between big matches watched by your town or underage soccer watched by girlfriends and family members.
If they have talent they're being spotted later since it is Ireland so its not as if they even consider it a choice since professional football seems so far away.
GAA is the number one sport in Ireland, communities hearts and souls are built around it. Thats just the way it is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
@Nanotron

We are the way we are because our players aren't good enough. The fact that Wes Hoolahan (a 36 year old midfielder plying his trade for a midtable championship side) is so often put forward as a solution to our problems demonstrates that our problems run deep.

Nothing I said in that post was incorrect, all of Denmark, Wales and Austria have better players than us and our results have demonstrably been good under O'Neill. To argue otherwise is absurd, even if luck played a large role.

Jaybomb

O’Neill OUT in my opinion.

As an international manager, you have one objective: Qualify for the World Cup. And he’s failed to do that.

Not going for the win in Denmark, replacing both centre mids tonight at half time and not bringing Shane Long until the last 20 minutes was a downright disgrace.

As an Irish man myself, I want to see us move on. Brian Kerr got the job based on his performances in the League of Ireland so why not consider Stephen Kenny? Ideally though, I’d like us to see if we can get another Northern Irish man in Brendan Rodgers or at least tempt Mick McCarthy back. There’s options. But the fact is O’Neill is NOT the right man for the job.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am sorry but it is up for debate. Where I am from, young kids are told to play Hurling. If you want to play football, there are no clubs or anything, you just play five aside at the weekends. So if you did not have GAA and Rugby, like you do in most countries, we would have football clubs all across the country and thus would play football more. The GAA and rugby to an extend mop up young players. If you did not have GAA and Rugby, they would join soccer clubs.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good point, mate. It’s like having a very small pick. Thought the RTE panel did well. Didn’t slag too hard. Team did their best. Good luck to Denmark.
Pretty much. I cannot understand why the poster wont accept that.

ROFLUTION

O’Neill OUT in my opinion.

As an international manager, you have one objective: Qualify for the World Cup. And he’s failed to do that.

Not going for the win in Denmark, replacing both centre mids tonight at half time and not bringing Shane Long until the last 20 minutes was a downright disgrace.

As an Irish man myself, I want to see us move on. Brian Kerr got the job based on his performances in the League of Ireland so why not consider Stephen Kenny? Ideally though, I’d like us to see if we can get another Northern Irish man in Brendan Rodgers or at least tempt Mick McCarthy back. There’s options. But the fact is O’Neill is NOT the right man for the job.
To come this far with that dross of player-material deserves a medal in my eyes.. You seem to be playing to your strengths and no players are doing it on a regular basis in their respective leagues. No manager can change that. I doubt even Sir Alex would be able to bring that team to the WC.

SteveW

Agreed. I really doubt international calibre footballers are turning down football for GAA. Every kid plays both at a young age. If someone show really high potential for football they'll be pushed that way. But there's probably a good few who could play lower leagues or LOI. Lee Chin being just one example.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I don’t think the early goal helped too in all honestly.

Ireland players seem to get carried away and that played into Danish hands. Should have used the same tactics he did the other day.
Oddly the shit pitch in Denmark seemed to work in our favour. We needed to let a herd of cows into the Aviva last night. Also the team were shattered from their efforts three days ago. Limited players - limited squad depth; some odd tactical choices. I’m very proud of the lads though, decent campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.